The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The next Villa Manager

+48
WendyOz
worcesterkev
South London Villan
Dgrizzle7
achilles
Barabass
Boldfinger
villajk
thegaffer6
Gordonsleftboot
Peter
mefromhere
Con
big ming
Wookster
Army villain
CoE82
avfcjoe
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
jeffvilla
danclare82
gdav
Synopsis
shanghaivilla
VTID85
Saunders82
4BetLite
andrew24561
De Kuip
Villa Ranger
boltblaster
nickf21
Cha Ching
FoxyAV
Dions_Bald_Head
smetro
Dazzle
DelboyVilla
Terry Derry
The Utterer
deadbuzzardalive
Trotters
BillytheKid
Wriggle
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
NARLA24
52 posters

Page 24 of 36 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30 ... 36  Next

Go down

The next Villa Manager - Page 24 Empty Re: The next Villa Manager

Post by Wriggle Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:51 am

AstonThriller wrote:
smetro wrote:

Even though if you could make a case Where Dr Tony was torn between 2 candidates (Say Bruce\Wagner for example) Bruce to me, would get the nod simply because he is an easier, quicker and cheaper appointment. I don't see Xia paying £2m for wagner - when he could appoint Brucey for nowt.

For those reasons I think Bruce will be our manager early next week, as soon as he meets with Dr Tony, and assuming Brucey doesn't fluff his lines big time !
It's already been said in the media that paying compo is not a problem for Xia. This is a new regime Smetro, the Lerner reign is over now.

Wasn't the quote that money isn't an issue in getting the right man in, so not only paying compo, but also paying a big salary if needed...
Wriggle
Wriggle

The next Villa Manager - Page 24 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:26 am

Very interesting article on Wagner Here

Not sure if it's been posted before, but impresses me even more with him!
Wriggle
Wriggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:29 am

Too long to post all of it, but some snippets...

Training schedules were changed to mirror kick-off times. Players were instructed to move within 15 miles of the training ground. And a high-intensity playing style - which the hipsters call 'gegenpressing', Wagner prefers 'Terriers identity' - was vigorously enforced.

'Okay, so the trip was into the wilderness. Canoeing from island to island. Eight hours a day. We built tents. We found water. We found food. We had to fish.

'We cooked it. There was no electricity. No toilet. No mobile phone coverage. It was great!' he finally exhales, somehow making the notion of such primitive isolation sound like a five-star resort.
'This was the training, for four days. No balls. We made it uncomfortable, because in the Championship there is no comfort zone.
'I wanted to bond the group together as quickly as possible. There were only two people in a tent and that changed every day. So you had to have a conversation. You had to talk about not only football but your family, the world. Without the mobile phone, you had no choice.'

Wagner studied biology and sports science at Darmstadt University for five years when he retired from playing in 2005. Why? 'I wanted to understand why a manager did something with me in training,' he explains.
'What happens inside my body when he tells me to run 6 x 1000m with 90 seconds break? Why? Why is this good? I did it as a player, because I trusted my manager.

'But, after studying, let me just say that not everyone was right… I can now talk with my medical team on a different level and we are able to find new ways. It gave me a greater perspective of a manager's work.
'It's good if you know what you are doing to your players!'

Wriggle
Wriggle

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:38 am

Cha Ching wrote:I don't want Bruce. Anyone else remember the two goals he got against Sheffield Wednesday for Utd? I'm not one to hold a grudge as you can see.

How did we ever get to a situation where we are considering bruce as one of our main targets.............  Lernerfox.shitsquad #damnyou all to hell

Last edited by 4BetLite on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
4BetLite
4BetLite

The next Villa Manager - Page 24 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:52 am

To me, the question is this.
If you think Klopp would be a fantastic appointment for Villa (obviously never going to happen) why would you not want the nearest thing by way of a clone who learned at the feet of the master? Vorsprungdurchtecnic and all that.
Bruce?........ meh!!
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:31 am

Bruce was my gut instinct due to his record. But Wagner would very much excite me if we could lure him over
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

The next Villa Manager - Page 24 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:30 am

Wagner is first choice for me (the new style of progressive management) Dean Smith second (it would be nice to have one of our own - no doubting his ambition and committment).
Bruce - not even on my shortlist - the bloated old chap looks ready for a major health problem to me but mainly because his style is old hat and it would be a backwards move.
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:45 am

Hmmmn, it all seems very quiet regards managers counting themselves out apart from the Luton guy that is. That's good news for us in my opinion but surely will change after the weekend as the initial "10" interviews presumably take place?

I'm guessing a lot will publicly count themselves out once they have had a discussion which didn't go so well to save face etc?

I'm no expert in these proceedings though
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:53 am

Wriggle wrote:Too long to post all of it, but some snippets...

Training schedules were changed to mirror kick-off times. Players were instructed to move within 15 miles of the training ground. And a high-intensity playing style - which the hipsters call 'gegenpressing', Wagner prefers 'Terriers identity' - was vigorously enforced.

'Okay, so the trip was into the wilderness. Canoeing from island to island. Eight hours a day. We built tents. We found water. We found food. We had to fish.

'We cooked it. There was no electricity. No toilet. No mobile phone coverage. It was great!' he finally exhales, somehow making the notion of such primitive isolation sound like a five-star resort.
'This was the training, for four days. No balls. We made it uncomfortable, because in the Championship there is no comfort zone.
'I wanted to bond the group together as quickly as possible. There were only two people in a tent and that changed every day. So you had to have a conversation. You had to talk about not only football but your family, the world. Without the mobile phone, you had no choice.'

Wagner studied biology and sports science at Darmstadt University for five years when he retired from playing in 2005. Why? 'I wanted to understand why a manager did something with me in training,' he explains.
'What happens inside my body when he tells me to run 6 x 1000m with 90 seconds break? Why? Why is this good? I did it as a player, because I trusted my manager.

'But, after studying, let me just say that not everyone was right… I can now talk with my medical team on a different level and we are able to find new ways. It gave me a greater perspective of a manager's work.
'It's good if you know what you are doing to your players!'

Is it worth noting that the midfield anchorman who was the fish catcher is Jonathan Hogg..........any Villa fans remember that name?!
Dazzle
Dazzle

The next Villa Manager - Page 24 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:12 am

It's David Wagner all the way for me, as long as he can bring all the staff he wants with him. For me, from what I've seen and read, he is the stand out candidate to bring the authentic change of outlook and philosophy to the team/club. Make him and his staff an offer they simply can't refuse, let's see those resignation letters handed to the Huddersfield chairman ASAP.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:48 am

AstonThriller wrote:Yeah well we're gonna see in the next couple days if it really is Bruce because if he's the one what's the hold up? This decision is gonna be a test of Steve Round's credentials tbh. Because like I said previously, the easy option is Bruce, but where he can really make a name for himself is bringing in someone who could change the whole direction of this club both in the short and longterm.

For me they should be taking a serious look at Oscar Garcia. He's young, schooled in the Barcelona way so would bring a whole new philosophy to the club, and he has the added bonus of already having championship experience. What more could we ask for? Especially when his career is on an upward path having recently won the title for Red Bull Salzburg, which by the way is the second league title he's won thus far after winning the league in Isreal before joining Brighton a few years ago.

Good shout, I would be more than happy with this appointment, coming more and more to the conclusion that I don't want Bruce but a more progressive manager.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:07 am

Wriggle wrote:Very interesting article on Wagner  Here

Not sure if it's been posted before, but impresses me even more with him!

Having read that I would be surprised that he actually leaves Huddersfield Town as he seems a man of loyalty and accepts a debt of gratitude from Huddersfield for appointing him in the first place.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:12 am

Please don't be Mclaren. That's all I'm asking.

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:13 am

I've been thinking about the progressive manager question, and I do think that it would be massively exciting if we got someone like Wagner. But then I got to thinking, do we have a squad of players that he could mould into what he wants? I don't know the Huddersfield lads at all, but I wonder if they were a team of reasonably young players, with open minds and not many big egos?
Our team has quite a few players that were captains of their teams, and as such I have to assume have strong personalities and have possibly enjoyed more say in how things get done (I appreciate all this is just conjecture, but I'm just throwing an idea out there really). Allied to some players who may think they already do a good enough job (Bacuna/Grealish/Ayew?) and some that just aren't capable of doing what's needed - Hutton/Gardner/Westwood, then I wonder if what someone like Wagner has achieved at Huddy Town, may not be able to be replicated at VP? You need both sides of the equation to be able to relate and respond to each other. A progressive manager on one side must surely need a receptive squad on the other? I'm not saying for one minute we aren't capable of a "factory reset" squad-wise, prior to remoulding in the image required by Wagner - let's face it, at times this season our play has been such an improvement on the recent past. But if we do have to radically change the ethos and tactics of the squad, is there enough depth there currently that will provide a core of players who could - and as important - would change to the level needed? I wonder if, even with a bright young thing in charge, we'd still be pinning hopes on the January window anyway, just to provide him with a fresh influx of players who can adapt to any new regime - that would have to be a consideration when we return to the market, I would think.
As I said, I've just posted this as a talking point really - just thinking out loud is all, but it might be something worth considering - with all the best will in the world, a progressive manager needs the blank canvas that would allow them to create a progressive team and style of play - do we have that potential in enough of the players we have currently? I'm not so sure.

Last edited by De Kuip on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To do away with the longest sentence since Myra Hindley got sent down)
De Kuip
De Kuip

The next Villa Manager - Page 24 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:28 am

Pat Murphy Verified account ‏@patmurphybbc 5m5 minutes ago

Club relaxed about experienced Steve Clarke being in charge of @OfficialWolves game wk on Sat if they haven't got right man in #avfc

If true, suggests to me that Bruce isn't the clubs main target.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:33 am

Pat Murphy ‏@patmurphybbc 13m13 minutes ago

No interviews done yet for the @AVFCOfficial job,nor planned till next week. Due diligence & soundings still going on. No set time frame.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:46 am

Pat Murphy wrote:Money is no object in terms of compensation but Villa realise an approach may be knocked back.

I understand Burnley's Sean Dyche and Huddersfield's David Wagner attract Villa while free agent Steve Bruce remains the bookies' favourite
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:48 am

De Kuip wrote:I've been thinking about the progressive manager question, and I do think that it would be massively exciting if we got someone like Wagner. But then I got to thinking, do we have a squad of players that he could mould into what he wants? I don't know the Huddersfield lads at all, but I wonder if they were a team of reasonably young players, with open minds and not many big egos?
Our team has quite a few players that were captains of their teams, and as such I have to assume have strong personalities and have possibly enjoyed more say in how things get done (I appreciate all this is just conjecture, but I'm just throwing an idea out there really). Allied to some players who may think they already do a good enough job (Bacuna/Grealish/Ayew?) and some that just aren't capable of doing what's needed - Hutton/Gardner/Westwood, then I wonder if what someone like Wagner has achieved at Huddy Town, may not be able to be replicated at VP? You need both sides of the equation to be able to relate and respond to each other. A progressive manager on one side must surely need a receptive squad on the other? I'm not saying for one minute we aren't capable of a "factory reset" squad-wise, prior to remoulding in the image required by Wagner - let's face it, at times this season our play has been such an improvement on the recent past. But if we do have to radically change the ethos and tactics of the squad, is there enough depth there currently that will provide a core of players who could - and as important - would change to the level needed? I wonder if, even with a bright young thing in charge, we'd still be pinning hopes on the January window anyway, just to provide him with a fresh influx of players who can adapt to any new regime - that would have to be a consideration when we return to the market, I would think.
As I said, I've just posted this as a talking point really - just thinking out loud is all, but it might be something worth considering - with all the best will in the world, a progressive manager needs the blank canvas that would allow them to create a progressive team and style of play - do we have that potential in enough of the players we have currently? I'm not so sure.

Had similar thoughts buthad trouble expressing them. This sums it up well for me. Yes we are talking of a very different set of players and are his methods transferrable? In mid season there is no opportunity to visit the islands and fish for a week. Not making light of what he has done, just wondering how this would work.

I'm not a Danny Murphy fan but someof his comments regarding us buying over-expensive players, linked to other commentators questionning the number of forwards bought and midfielders ignored, ring true to me. The squad without doubt is unbalanced. What we need is someone who can see through all this mess, and find a group of players to become a team that can do what is needed. In the end I suspect we need someone who can see the wood for the trees, whether they choose first team or younger players to get the right balance. This calls for experience and intelligence. Maybe Wagner can do that, not sure some of the others are strong enough, especially when telling Tony that some of the money he just spent was wasted.
Gordonsleftboot
Gordonsleftboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:52 am

CoE82 wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:Interesting to see that Xia says that we had limited time and options in June. Kind of suggests that it won't be Bruce, as he was an option in the summer (when options were apparently limited) and we didn't go for him then.

I woyldnt say he was an option, as he was at hull till august I think, and by then we had decided RDM was the new messiah, all I want is someone thats gonna give our lazy arse players a kick up the arse, our last few managers have been to soft, and while the good Dr is looking for a manager maybe he can look for some free agent midfielders.

I haven't seen one single sign that are players are lazy? effort is not the problem, no way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:04 am

If Wagner likes taking players out into the wilderness then he's gone up another few notches in my opinion. Laughing

I've just had a minor shit-loss with the Birmingham Mail on twitter and Steve Wollaston waded in. Reckon it's all quality journalism they're tweeting.

When I suggested that the opinions of people like Liam Ridgewell and Big Eck probably don't matter a toss he said "We didn't ask them".

So they just rehash other people's poor journalism as their own.

No wonder people stick to quoting Pat Murphy. He tends not to repeat himself or pass other people's work off as his.
Trotters
Trotters

The next Villa Manager - Page 24 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:12 am

@De Kuip I won't quote your post to save folks the massive scroll Laughing but you've raised some good points.

I actually think our players ARE waiting for someone to hit the reset button and show them how to win. And win with football that has a method.

They must be sick and tired of going out onto the pitch clearly not having a solid plan - and if they do, it's subject to mind bending change - and would love to have a tactical advantage over the opposition.

One win under those conditions and the whole mentality of the club changes.

Christ it can't be nice letting points slip every bloody week!

Last edited by Trotters on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:12 am

Trotters wrote:If Wagner likes taking players out into the wilderness then he's gone up another few notches in my opinion. Laughing

I've just had a minor shit-loss with the Birmingham Mail on twitter and Steve Wollaston waded in. Reckon it's all quality journalism they're tweeting.

When I suggested that the opinions of people like Liam Ridgewell and Big Eck probably don't matter a toss he said "We didn't ask them".

So they just rehash other people's poor journalism as their own.

No wonder people stick to quoting Pat Murphy. He tends not to repeat himself or pass other people's work off as his.

The Brum Mail is a shit-rag ran by shit-heads
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:15 am

The Utterer wrote:Hmmmn, it all seems very quiet regards managers counting themselves out apart from the Luton guy that is. That's good news for us in my opinion but surely will change after the weekend as the initial "10" interviews presumably take place?

I'm guessing a lot will publicly count themselves out once they have had a discussion which didn't go so well to save face etc?

I'm no expert in these proceedings though

I'd suggest that we're a more attractive proposition now then we were in the Summer: re-building well under way, some of the deadwood cleared out, a boardroom structure and an owner with enthusiasm & money. Throw in the size & history of the club & the only thing that might make you think twice is the pressure to get on sooner rather than later.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:25 am

jimbop wrote:
CoE82 wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:Interesting to see that Xia says that we had limited time and options in June. Kind of suggests that it won't be Bruce, as he was an option in the summer (when options were apparently limited) and we didn't go for him then.

I woyldnt say he was an option, as he was at hull till august I think, and by then we had decided RDM was the new messiah, all I want is someone thats gonna give our lazy arse players a kick up the arse, our last few managers have been to soft, and while the good Dr is looking for a manager maybe he can look for some free agent midfielders.

I haven't seen one single sign that are players are lazy? effort is not the problem, no way.

Agreed. Our players being lazy isn't the problem, maybe the odd one or two, but certainly not the entire group. Our problem is an unbalanced team with a poor and understaffed midfield. What any manager needs to do is realise that with what we have we simply have to get three central midfielders in the starting 11. We have Tshibola, Jedinak, Westwood, Gardner, and Lyden...........any combination of three of those on the pitch at any time until January when the problem is hopefully addressed.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 am

I agree. Send them out without a plan and you'll get no movement, no pressing play, no coordination, nothing. So they might look lazy but in reality it's more likely they just don't know what they're doing being basic football.

This is why I think it's pointless sticking with Steve Clarke.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 36 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30 ... 36  Next