The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The next Villa Manager

+48
WendyOz
worcesterkev
South London Villan
Dgrizzle7
achilles
Barabass
Boldfinger
villajk
thegaffer6
Gordonsleftboot
Peter
mefromhere
Con
big ming
Wookster
Army villain
CoE82
avfcjoe
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
jeffvilla
danclare82
gdav
Synopsis
shanghaivilla
VTID85
Saunders82
4BetLite
andrew24561
De Kuip
Villa Ranger
boltblaster
nickf21
Cha Ching
FoxyAV
Dions_Bald_Head
smetro
Dazzle
DelboyVilla
Terry Derry
The Utterer
deadbuzzardalive
Trotters
BillytheKid
Wriggle
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
NARLA24
52 posters

Page 15 of 36 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25 ... 36  Next

Go down

The next Villa Manager - Page 15 Empty Re: The next Villa Manager

Post by BillytheKid Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:The thing which is really irking me about some of our fans is their opposition to Bruce based solely on his Blues tenure. Not his leaving of jobs or questionable Premier League capabilities.  

Firstly, he left the Scum 9 years ago!
Secondly, he is not a Villa hating, slum-dwelling, 12-toed, inbred freak
Lastly, Ron Atkinson managed Albion TWICE before coming to Villa and yet I'll bet money the same fans love him

HAHAHA good point that mate, it does worry me as others the Small Heath connection cos of the very hatred as you mention by some which will stir up no doubt as soon as we hit bad form at some stage, me personally i am dying for a Villa man in the hot seat i miss the 90's lol, but whoever comes in HAS to have our full support and do our job supporting Villa for our club's sake.
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

The next Villa Manager - Page 15 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:38 pm

Rowett!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Rowett same worries me Joppe fella, when the losses start going on and sticky patches the Sty connection will always imo be a factor for tension then anger spewing out sooner,

Is Rowett a Villan really?
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:41 pm

The sad thing is we could really do with an old school manager. A manager that will build from the back and make us hard to beat and then start letting the forwards concentrate on scoring. Their ain't too many of these types of managers left - and Steve Bruce is one.
It's a shame because I would like to say let's give a dynamic younger manager a go but at this point in time we need to steady the ship and consolidate our position before we can push forward.
Good news is that if it is Bruce he has the know how to get us winning and back up challenging for the play offs.
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Personally I don't give flying toss who our next manager played for, managed or supported as a kid, what I do want is someone who will give his utmost for Villa and turn us around so we can win again and bring us back some PRIDE, IMHO I hate being everyone's whipping boys. anyway its all very well us chipping in with who we want or don't want, IN THE END IT WON'T BE OUR DECISION, we just have to back whoever gets the job just like we have been. The next Villa Manager - Page 15 1015550615 The next Villa Manager - Page 15 1015550615 The next Villa Manager - Page 15 1015550615 Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:56 pm

The Guardian and The Imdependant both have Wagner as the club's preferred choice and Bruce as plan B.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:05 pm

I think Xia will go for the one most likely to get us up asap and I think it's come a bit too soon for big Sam which leaves Bruce. Not the most glamorous candidate but is there anyone better at getting teams up out of all the names on list?
danclare82
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Rowett ffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:10 pm

With rookie managers it can go either way. Either they come in, get a few positive results which lifts the gloom and then kick on. Or they are a rabbit in the headlights, struggle to get consistency and then go by the wayside. We saw with Sherwood that early enthusiasm can get you the odd result and make a team play beyond their normal level. But when the honeymoon is over and it's time to dig deep and show your true worth tactically and motivation-ally that is the time when you see what a manager is all about.

Round being a former coach should have some good insight into what a decent manager looks like. In the back of my mind I'm thinking he's the "play it safe" type. But then on the other hand he travelled the world looking at different sports programs/teams and stuff so he might not be as one eyed as I suspect he is.

AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The next Villa Manager - Page 15 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:16 pm

The Guardian saying Xia wants Wagner
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:18 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:The Guardian and The Imdependant both have Wagner as the club's preferred choice and Bruce as plan B.

Just seen you beat me too it Very Happy What you reckon about Wagner? I don't know much about him tbh but he looks to be doing a grand job en half atm, is he a flash in the pan or does he have great attributes?
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:21 pm

BillytheKid wrote:The Guardian saying Xia wants Wagner
I think at this moment in time we need someone experienced.  Wagner looked like he could be a good manager but it's too much of a risk again plus there's the compensation to pay. It has to be someone like Bruce or allerdyce. Promotion should be the main aim.
danclare82
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm

I respectfully disagree, stick to the 2 year plan, get the best we can get and let him get on with it.

If we go for the bruce sam McLaren types we might go up and come back down as all 3 do so on regular basis.

Wagner has the right schooling and looks like a genius already, its a gamble but its a longterm thing not short. Bielsa is a genius by all accounts and is out of work but might be handcuffed by the Lasio issues.

Either one of the geniuses for me or someone with claret and blue blood.
4BetLite
4BetLite

The next Villa Manager - Page 15 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by worcesterkev Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:37 pm

I want somebody who understands football from the grass roots, has learned his trade the hard way, will not put up with poor effort and inflated egos, you only have to look at how many times the big teams get turned over by small clubs to see that it produces results. We have a squad that think they are better than they are, we have diving, arm waving, sulking, players who want to get glory rather than to pass, weak players who get pushed off the ball way to easily. we need somebody to come in and teach them a team ethic and how to play at this level.
I could not give a flying fig about Bruce being an x blues man, his brand of football does not inspire me at all, he is a mr average and he just does not stand out as somebody that will change things.
worcesterkev

The next Villa Manager - Page 15 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Bruce is the easy option to take isn't it? By going for Wagner though it suggests the club are more concerned about building a new culture at the club that could potentially see us flourish in the long term rather than bring in the tried and tested and have to remove them in another ten months or so even if immediate promotion is achieved.

Wagner reminds me of a Pochettino tbh. He went into Southampton and nobody had a clue who the hell he was but he transformed them overnight and was the flavour of the month when Spurs nabbed him. It was a risk because he'd been sacked at Espanyol prior to joining Southampton but look at him now?

Wagner honed his philosophy alongside Klopp so the guy obviously knows a thing or two about the game. He can either sit still and see where this Huddersfield adventure takes him with the hope of possibly getting promoted or getting a play-off spot. If they miss out in the play-offs his stock would still be Ok I guess but would that be enough for Prem teams to look at him? Not sure as many managers have gotten to the play-offs in one season including the Sheff Wed manager and he's still there.

OR he could come to the Villa who are the fourth most successful team in England. He'll have the big stadium, the fantastic training facilities, a mega rich owner to work with who could potentially provide him with more funds than the majority of the owners currently in the premiership. And he could mould a legacy for himself here that could last a lifetime.

Yes Huddersfield gave him his big break but money talks in this game my friends. If there is no denial from him or the Huddersfield camp within the next few days then I think this could be a goar. Wyness and co aren't ones to hang around so I'd assume if Wagner is the man then they'll already be on the phone.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:09 pm

I get all the points above and like I say wagner certainly looks like he knows what he's doing. I just think that getting up as quick as possible surely is the main target for Xia. If we do and don't start the season well I'm sure the doc will look again but we'll be a prem team again so better options should be available
danclare82
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:11 pm

AstonThriller wrote:Bruce is the easy option to take isn't it? By going for Wagner though it suggests the club are more concerned about building a new culture at the club that could potentially see us flourish in the long term rather than bring in the tried and tested and have to remove them in another ten months or so even if immediate promotion is achieved.

Wagner reminds me of a Pochettino tbh. He went into Southampton and nobody had a clue who the hell he was but he transformed them overnight and was the flavour of the month when Spurs nabbed him. It was a risk because he'd been sacked at Espanyol prior to joining Southampton but look at him now?

Wagner honed his philosophy alongside Klopp so the guy obviously knows a thing or two about the game. He can either sit still and see where this Huddersfield adventure takes him with the hope of possibly getting promoted or getting a play-off spot. If they miss out in the play-offs his stock would still be Ok I guess but would that be enough for Prem teams to look at him? Not sure as many managers have gotten to the play-offs in one season including the Sheff Wed manager and he's still there.

OR he could come to the Villa who are the fourth most successful team in England. He'll have the big stadium, the fantastic training facilities, a mega rich owner to work with who could potentially provide him with more funds than the majority of the owners currently in the premiership. And he could mould a legacy for himself here that could last a lifetime.

Yes Huddersfield gave him his big break but money talks in this game my friends. If there is no denial from him or the Huddersfield camp within the next few days then I think this could be a goar. Wyness and co aren't ones to hang around so I'd assume if Wagner is the man then they'll already be on the phone.

Wagner could be great - but equally he could be remi garde mk3

Id just go for Bruce - sure all this talk of a new ethos\culture sounds very grand. But it has a habit of not happening.

Lets just concentrate on the guy most likley to move us up the table - any fancy culture changes , ethos, or root and branch restructure can wait  (we might find we don't want one if we are winning games) - For once lets do whats starring us in the face and appoint Bruce.

Some of the papers are talking about an interview process - FFS - decide who you want and go get him - you learn next to jack shit in interviews. In recent years we have been guilty of overthinking things.....

also we need to be fully prepared that o the whole managers don't stick around. Most have come and gone within 2 years (i know - not for us) - Whoever gets this club promoted theres a very good chance that they won't be the person to consolidate us as a top 6 premier club.

smetro
smetro

The next Villa Manager - Page 15 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:15 pm

I totally get it but for me a quick fix never works out, a real longterm plan with the best we can get is my preferred choice. If we do get a bruce type ill be behind him all the way of course and I don't care one jot about the blues link.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Whilst I get your point Smetro, achieving a cultural change in the division we are currently in is much more doable than in the Premiership. Particularly as if and when we come up, we will be probably looking to change lots of players, so changing culture and probably manager as well could be extremely challenging.

In the long term looking to appoint a manager who can take the club forward for the next few years is attractive to me. Ok it may take longer to get us up, but not necessarily. A good manager doesn't have to start crap and get better, he could do well from the start. It's a risk, but there are no risk free appointments, Steve Bruce won't guarantee us promotion nobody can.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:31 pm

4BetLite wrote:I totally get it but for me a quick fix never works out, a real longterm plan with the best we can get is my preferred choice. If we do get a bruce type ill be behind him all the way of course and I don't care one jot about the blues link.

Well I don't think weve appointed a quick fix manager with perhaps the exception of sherwood. Basically weve employed a load of bullshiters who waffle on about structures, vision, culture changes, ethos etc. We are in the championship FFS - 4-4-2 crosses into Gestede - would get us a long way....
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:38 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:Whilst I get your point Smetro, achieving a cultural change in the division we are currently in is much more doable than in the Premiership. Particularly as if and when we come up, we will be probably looking to change lots of players, so changing culture and probably manager as well could be extremely challenging.

In the long term looking to appoint a manager who can take the club forward for the next few years is attractive to me. Ok it may take longer to get us up, but not necessarily. A good manager doesn't have to start crap and get better, he could do well from the start. It's a risk, but there are no risk free appointments, Steve Bruce won't guarantee us promotion nobody can.

Of course Bruce won't guarantee us promotion. No one can there are just to many variables. I actually think the football in this division is pretty primitive - even the top sides can't defend. We have the key ingredient - Money ! - and someone like big Sam,if they could hump us to promotion thats another £100m in coffers - that will progress us much more that some wind bag who gets us 12th - but tells us he is laying solid foundations....
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Is Bruce a quick fix only?

He's only been relegated as a manager twice (Blues and Hull) and got both teams back up, he managed Wigan to midtable, he kept Blues in the league for 4 or 5 seasons (I can't remember which)
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:Is Bruce a quick fix only?

He's only been relegated as a manager twice (Blues and Hull) and got both teams back up, he managed Wigan to midtable, he kept Blues in the league for 4 or 5 seasons (I can't remember which)

He always seems to struggle to find goals in the prem. But lets cross that bridge if and when we come to it....
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:13 pm

smetro wrote:

Wagner could be great - but equally he could be remi garde mk3

Id just go for Bruce - sure all this talk of a new ethos\culture sounds very grand. But it has a habit of not happening.

Lets just concentrate on the guy most likley to move us up the table - any fancy culture changes , ethos, or root and branch restructure can wait  (we might find we don't want one if we are winning games) - For once lets do whats starring us in the face and appoint Bruce.

Some of the papers are talking about an interview process - FFS - decide who you want and go get him - you learn next to jack shit in interviews. In recent years we have been guilty of overthinking things.....

also we need to be fully prepared that o the whole managers don't stick around. Most have come and gone within 2 years (i know - not for us)  - Whoever gets this club promoted theres a very good chance that they won't be the person to consolidate us as a top 6 premier club.

I know getting Bruce would be the logical thing to do. And though that might give us joy over the next twelve months and see us potentially return home to the Premership, getting a manager who could totally change around the culture at this club could have could have lasting effects for many a year. And these two choices that appear to be standing in-front of Round and Wyness tonight. Bruce may well do "what is says on the tin" and get us where we want to go, while Wagner just might be one of those special ones that we always seem to miss out on. Like a young Moyes who was at Preston, like a young Koeman who wanted the job when Mon left, like a Pochettino etc. We just never get lucky in that regard and this might be our time to get lucky if we go for Wagner.

Personally I have no problem with either. With Bruce I believe he'd get us up and running, he'll have us organised and hard to beat, probably be a little boring but we'll grind out results until January and maybe be near the play-off spots. He'll then get in some players and we'll push hard in the second half of the season and hopefully that will see us at least get a top six place.

With Wagner he'll probably start a little slow but I get the feeling he'll stamp his authority on the team sooner rather than later and have us flying by late November. With a style that is pleasing to the eyes. And once again with some investment I'd like to think we'd get top six aswell. Whether he gets us over the line though I don't know because he's not been through the play-off process. Long term though I think he could be the man to take us forward.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:25 pm

I think i have settled on Wagner tbh, i like what i'm reading about him. Klopp's main guy at Borrusia Dortmund and highly regarded by the likes of Rowett who said Huddersfield were the best drilled team he's faced.

Whether he'd come is another matter entirely of course but i like the look of it.

The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 36 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25 ... 36  Next