The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Steve Bruce thread

+37
andrew24561
UnclePanda
LVBrit
bruka
STO67
De Kuip
FoxyAV
deadbuzzardalive
VTID85
avfc forever
jeffvilla
Fpuppys
Jae1411
smetro
Terry Derry
rogermuffin69
danclare82
Saunders82
achilles
gdale1
villajk
Wriggle
Army villain
ember
mefromhere
Dazzle
gaffer85
Boldfinger
Trotters
Dions_Bald_Head
NARLA24
The Utterer
DelboyVilla
Villa_Dan
big ming
Gordonsleftboot
AstonThriller
41 posters

Page 25 of 43 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 34 ... 43  Next

Go down

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 Empty Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 pm

If it's a choice between Bruce and Henry, I'd go with Henry no doubt, this club needs fresh ideas, and dragging into the modern era, I'm presuming that despite new investment we won't be able to attract proven big names (I'm seeing a few people mention Wenger and Benitez), so we have to go for the next best thing, and go for someone who may be inexperienced, but has potential to grow into a top class coach, doesn't have to be Henry, if they've got the right people advising them, then there will be plenty of options to look at.
deadbuzzardalive

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm

BBC WM Sport 95.6
‏@sportbbcwm
STEVE BRUCE POST BURTON: ALL transfers on hold until he meets new owners on Tuesday. No one will go out on the cheap. He wants to carry on as manager and admitted 'everyone was for sale' until yesterday! #avfc
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Henry would be a fuck up of RDM proportions
Two weeks before the season starts is a bad time to be looking for managers - anyone decent has got themselves a club - stick with SB until a decent chap become available...we can't go on a major spending spree due to FFP so Henry would have to work with what he has - we would be in a Remi Garde situation very quickly.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:17 pm

So now potato head is playing the 352 system in the friendlies and I can't help but think it's a disaster waiting to happen. In the two games he's played it thus far we may have scored four goals but the opposition has had plenty of clear chances. The system didn't work at all last season and we've now lost some decent players from the squad and he thinks it's gonna work now? We don't even have three bloody center-halfs to play it effectively.

So no doubt if he still here by the time we go to Hull we'll be seeing Hutton In the back three. It's madness and I want him gone and out of the way. Any decent manager would say, "Ok let me try and make as few changes as possible and simply have a quick start this year because that's what cost us", but no, he's mixing it up and it will end up costing us again. I hope the new owners have some guts about them and just get the man out now instead of waiting and wasting games.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 pm

smetro wrote:Henry would be a fuck up of RDM proportions
Two weeks before the season starts is a bad time to be looking for managers - anyone decent has got themselves a club - stick with SB until a decent chap become available...we can't go on a major spending spree due to FFP so Henry would have to work with what he has - we would be in a Remi Garde situation very quickly.

LOL yep, you don't like foreign managers but you're prepared to keep a PROVEN failure? OK pal Laughing .
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:40 am

AstonThriller wrote:So now potato head is playing the 352 system in the friendlies and I can't help but think it's a disaster waiting to happen. In the two games he's played it thus far we may have scored four goals but the opposition has had plenty of clear chances. The system didn't work at all last season and we've now lost some decent players from the squad and he thinks it's gonna work now? We don't even have three bloody center-halfs to play it effectively.

So no doubt if he still here by the time we go to Hull we'll be seeing Hutton In the back three. It's madness and I want him gone and out of the way. Any decent manager would say, "Ok let me try and make as few changes as possible and simply have a quick start this year because that's what cost us", but no, he's mixing it up and it will end up costing us again. I hope the new owners have some guts about them and just get the man out now instead of waiting and wasting games.

I have to agree, the 352 system with the players we have currently got just will not work, it is utter madness! The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 1327487109
Kodjia does not work in a 2 up front as he is too selfish, it has been proven NOT to work so why try it again?
I am Huttons greatest fan but not in a million years in a back three, as a left back absolutely, as he proved last season and why he was given another contract, NOT as a centre half!
Chester our only capable centre half could easily leave, which would leave us in an even worse state, if we play 352!
I really can't believe Bruce is even thinking of starting the season playing 352, it BLOODY didn't work last season, so why try it again with potentially worse players?
Just because we have scored eight goals in two games must not hide the fact that we have played two crap sides and they had plenty of chances to score against us.
Bruce just does not learn, he will never change from his dinosaur thinking!
Bruce just has to go, irrespective of just two weeks to the start of the season, otherwise we will be in exactly the same position as last season playing catch up again.

It is absolutely imperative that we start the season on the front foot raring to go because that is what cost us promotion last season.
achilles
achilles

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 am

Another reason for Bruce going is we might get someone in who is likely to get the two lazy bastards, Richards and McCormack playing for us again instead of being on permanent holiday!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 am

achilles wrote:Another reason for Bruce going is we might get someone in who is likely to get the two lazy bastards, Richards and McCormack playing for us again instead of being on permanent holiday!

Hogan is another issue. Like Weimann he's a poacher, and it seems unlikely Bruce is going to change his tactic. As an aside if Bruce does stay and we do keep Grealish and Kodjia it will be interesting to see what he does with them bearing in mind he wanted to build the team round them last season but they both picked up injuries and by the time they came back the team shape had shifted somewhere else. But Hogan and McCormack are both useless with Bruce in charge. If Hogan goes I wonder if he'll be bought by a team who need to spend carefully and want to play him to his strengths rather than Bruce's scattergun approach.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Looks like Bruce's job is safe, but he's going to be encouraged to use our youth players.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Derry Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:15 pm

achilles wrote:Another reason for Bruce going is we might get someone in who is likely to get the two lazy bastards, Richards and McCormack playing for us again instead of being on permanent holiday!
Correct. Who does Bruce think he is in paying these to do fuck all?
Terry Derry
Terry Derry

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:46 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Looks like Bruce's job is safe, but he's going to be encouraged to use our youth players.

Oh no it's not!
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by ember Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:Looks like Bruce's job is safe, but he's going to be encouraged to use our youth players.

Oh no it's not!

The good news is he'll be released in time for the Xmas panto season. Oh yes he will.
ember
ember

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 am

ember wrote:
DelboyVilla wrote:

Oh no it's not!

The good news is he'll be released in time for the Xmas panto season. Oh yes he will.

His widow Twanky is something to behold apparently?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Really disappointed that Bruce is staying. Not saying Henry.was the answer but nor is bruce.
De Kuip
De Kuip

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 pm

West Ham 2-0 up the Bruce!!!!!
Army villain
Army villain

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 25 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm

On one hand you can see why the owners have decided not to rock the boat. Xia has probably been in their ear waxing lyrical about Potato head, how he "almost" took us up and how he's stayed "loyal" during these tough times. And with the season set to start shortly, plus no CEO or director of football in place, I guess they decided to bide their time. The sad part is when the inevitable bad run ensues and they want to get rid, we may find ourselves way behind the leading pack and the list of options to replace him might not be the best. For me the time was now to replace that clown.

What's disgusted me is his media friends basically starting a campaign to get his job saved. Talksport, newspapers, twitter, five live, sky sports news etc, all of them had some knucklehead on their platform talking about how Bruce "deserves a chance", It's really sickening tbh.

Now we're gonna have to suffer poor results because that idiot will insist on playing 532 when it clearly doesn't work for us. The issue wasn't the f#cking defense last year, it was going missing in games we should have won, but he's so dumb and devoid of tactical nouse that he can't see that.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 pm

Realistically Bruce was never going to be sacked this early, Edens and Sawiris only decided to buy us barely two weeks ago, and were able to make it happen very quickly, there's not even been enough time for them to survey if it's best to keep Bruce or not, never mind pick out a new manager... I suspect they'll be looking to get some 'football people' on board, who will then monitor the situation, and be tasked with lining someone up in the event that Bruce doesn't meet the required standards.

I'm pretty disappointed that he's still with us, but I think it's more down to circumstances more than anything else... Just got to remember this time last week, we had the threat, of losing our best players for under market value and probably going into administration, maybe even worse... It remains to be seen if they do a good job for us, but If you'd have told me then that in a weeks time we'd be bought out by a couple of multi-billionaires I would have taken that.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Realistically Bruce was never going to be sacked this early, Edens and Sawiris only decided to buy us barely two weeks ago, and were able to make it happen very quickly, there's not even been enough time for them to survey if it's best to keep Bruce or not, never mind pick out a new manager... I suspect they'll be looking to get some 'football people' on board, who will then monitor the situation, and be tasked with lining someone up in the event that Bruce doesn't meet the required standards.

I'm pretty disappointed that he's still with us, but I think it's more down to circumstances more than anything else... Just got to remember this time last week, we had the threat, of losing our best players for under market value and probably going into administration, maybe even worse... It remains to be seen if they do a good job for us, but If you'd have told me then that in a weeks time we'd be bought out by a couple of multi-billionaires I would have taken that.

Yeah I'm delighted we've got them, but if they are as naive as Xia was then money will be wasted again and we'll remain in this damn division. The key to success is making smarts decisions. We'll see what transpires over the coming months but when you see the likes of Leeds getting a director of football who was at Madrid, and now have Bielsa as their manager, I really do wonder what the hell we're gonna do.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:07 pm

AstonThriller wrote:On one hand you can see why the owners have decided not to rock the boat. Xia has probably been in their ear waxing lyrical about Potato head, how he "almost" took us up and how he's stayed "loyal" during these tough times. And with the season set to start shortly, plus no CEO or director of football in place, I guess they decided to bide their time. The sad part is when the inevitable bad run ensues and they want to get rid, we may find ourselves way behind the leading pack and the list of options to replace him might not be the best. For me the time was now to replace that clown.

What's disgusted me is his media friends basically starting a campaign to get his job saved. Talksport, newspapers, twitter, five live, sky sports news etc, all of them had some knucklehead on their platform talking about how Bruce "deserves a chance", It's really sickening tbh.

Now we're gonna have to suffer poor results because that idiot will insist on playing 532 when it clearly doesn't work for us. The issue wasn't the f#cking defense last year, it was going missing in games we should have won, but he's so dumb and devoid of tactical nouse that he can't see that.

I think its a stay of execution mate. The sheer logistics of sacking Bruce now - just don't add up. We had a friendly tonight, play in germany at the weekend. Henry could perhaps have been in place by Monday - thats just over a week to get players he fancies signed up - if not then he is stuck with a load of player who may prove to be opposite of how he he wants to play the game.

I don't think Henry is going anywhere - so he is very much waiting in the wings. Wouldn't surprise me if he is villa manager by mid October.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by LVBrit Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Only problem is the season could already be over by then. They look sloppy at the back and absolutely no cutting edge in this team. Void of ideas.
LVBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:56 pm

What a waste of a semi-competitive match. Three at the back is only going to speed along Bruce's payoff, I hope the new owners have people working like crazy identifying potential new managers.

It looked very much as if that was about getting players' fitness levels up regardless of position and game plan. The sight of Whelan fills me with despair. Jedi in defence. A three-man defence anyway. I wonder if the new owners have had a chat with the likes of Chester, Kodjia and Grealish because if I was one of them being offered a chance to go and play this thing called 'football' (by all accounts a tactical game of skill) somewhere, especially at higher wages, I'd be waving Bruce goodbye in a flash. I'd imagine they'll know change and investment will come and they're our best players but we need someone persuading them to stay and that it's all going to be alright!

Really nice to see Green playing again. Gardner looked up for it, I'd love to see Thor as DM (with a few goals) and the academy players look like they could be giving the established players a run for their money (subject to either A) a new manager coming in or B) enough senior players being injured that Bruce reluctantly lets them have a run). On the downside Kodjia looks really frustrated with the scraps he's being fed.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by LVBrit Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Grealish also looked frustrated at times. A couple of times he threw his arms up after taking up a good position, only to see the ball go sideways or backwards.
LVBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:59 am

At least things are slowly becoming clearer now though

Bruce stays - But will surely have to do the business else he'll be gone.

The team is basically a shell of last years with a few kids promoted - No bad thing regards the kids being promoted but surely we need some loans in pronto?

The football will be dull as dishwater - This we know so at least we can decide whether to brave actually watching it.

Everything else is still unknown.

Will more players leave still?
Will we have enough to stay up?
Will the new owners find a way around FFP? Or at least a way to soften the blow?
Will we sign any loans?
Is it a write off season to just stay safe and then go again next season? Surely if this is year 3 regards FFP once it's out of the way the most expensive year of the 3 is negated and we can go again next season? Added to this some big contracts like Micah Richards will run out helping even further.

So i see a dull, horrid, boring season ahead purely to stay in the division with a view to rosier times next season. Maybe this is why Bruce has survived as he is best placed to steer us through what will be a torrid time.

All in all if we can stay safe, develop some of the young players and see off this ridiculous FFP situation then i guess it looks better for next season.
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:02 am

Bruce is still only here because the owners have barely got through the door, if that Times article is to be believed, they only decided to buy us the night that England got knocked out of the World Cup... There's not been enough time on top of negotiating with Xia, to identify the people they want to fill key positions, and normally you fill the more senior positions first so they can help with identifying a new manager, it's not like normal takeovers where they're months and months in the making, which gives the owners time to put together more of a plan before a deal is officially completed...

Man City found themselves in a similar position when they had their takeover, that one was also completed in a matter a matter of weeks, and as a consequence Hughes kept his job, for the time being...

The squad's still strong, when you think that Green and Kodjia returning from injury and having a full pre-season replaces Snodgrass and Grabban, then I think as long as we bring in a few players to help us out then we should be strong enough to challenge for top six next season, and if Bruce wants to keep his job, he'll have to get results.

It's also worth noting that he refused to talk with the media after the last night's game.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:46 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Bruce is still only here because the owners have barely got through the door, if that Times article is to be believed, they only decided to buy us the night that England got knocked out of the World Cup... There's not been enough time on top of negotiating with Xia, to identify the people they want to fill key positions, and normally you fill the more senior positions first so they can help with identifying a new manager, it's not like normal takeovers where they're months and months in the making, which gives the owners time to put together more of a plan before a deal is officially completed...

Man City found themselves in a similar position when they had their takeover, that one was also completed in a matter a matter of weeks, and as a consequence Hughes kept his job, for the time being...

The squad's still strong, when you think that Green and Kodjia returning from injury and having a full pre-season replaces Snodgrass and Grabban, then I think as long as we bring in a few players to help us out then we should be strong enough to challenge for top six next season, and if Bruce wants to keep his job, he'll have to get results.

I am not expecting much from next season - and that would be the same whoever the manager is. W eve lost the loan players haven't got any replacements. But we have a mage rich owner - who likes football ! - I think Bruce is very much holding the fort - hopefully they will appoint a CEO soon - and then a replacement for Steve Round (Brian Little would me a good shout)

I would love to see us have the balls to poach a manager from another club - Eddie Howe, or Nathan Jones - both be tough to land but what a statement of intent that would be.

Difficult to tell how these things work out - but I am hopeful we are on a upwards trajectory in the long term
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 43 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 34 ... 43  Next