The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

U23s/youth watch

+24
VTID85
Wookster
FoxyAV
Fpuppys
The Utterer
rogermuffin69
Admin
villajk
Wriggle
Dazzle
bruka
deadbuzzardalive
Jae1411
De Kuip
Trotters
DelboyVilla
achilles
WendyOz
AstonThriller
4BetLite
Villa_Dan
smetro
Gordonsleftboot
Boldfinger
28 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

U23s/youth watch Empty U23s/youth watch

Post by De Kuip Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Couldn't see any topics on this looking back over about 60 or so threads, so I thought I'd create one.

Whilst our youth set up has been badly neglected, we do have some potential coming through and also sometimes senior players in U23 games, so I thought if anyone had anything that related, they can chuck it in this topic.

Just as a starter, if anyone is interested in the Villa v Boro U23 game, I think it's being streamed live on facebook, hosted by the Birmingham Fail.

Green and Davis are set to figure in the match, kick off 7pm tonight at VP.
De Kuip
De Kuip

U23s/youth watch 5_star12

Back to top Go down

U23s/youth watch Empty Re: U23s/youth watch

Post by De Kuip Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Just finished watching game 0-0 sound familiar - Villa nil?
Davis missed pen in injury time and tbh I thought he looked lazy and slow so he'll be a shoo in for the first team. Calder and Toner looked good and Sarkic was excellent in goal. Some great saves and good decision making and distribution. In Calder we actually have a LB who can tackle with great timing, has pace and consistently took on their last man and put crosses in. Amavi take note.
RHB was on the comments section - apparently it was his pukka FB account. Obviously wouldn't respond to questions about contract but confirmed his injury is 2-3 more weeks.
Lots of Borough fans saying Rhodes coming to us but as no one could provide a link I'll take it as usual FB bollocks.
Overall we seemed to have a better gameplan than the seniors - in fact just the fact we had any gameplan is an improvement on the seniors!
Interesting watching though and if it's gonna be streamed on FB as a matter of course I'd deffo watch again.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Kevin Toner. I'd nearly forgotten about him. Surely we should consider him instead of Elphick

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 pm

He looked decent in the handful of games he was put on for but I've read his loan spell drew little but bad reports.

Interesting that the shitrashitrag that is the Birmingham Mail are broadcasting games on fizzle-bizzle. They are woefully desperate and unbelievably shit on twitter so is this a new attempt to grab an audience?
Trotters
Trotters

U23s/youth watch 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 am

Forgot to say Green looked good for the hour he was on and Boro had a young lad playing striker role called Cook who looks a great prospect for them.
Trotters probably is another bid by the Fail to get traffic. There were 2k watching the feed.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 am

That's a decent number i think. I've had a few rotten twitter tomatoes to throw at them over some of the utter shit they report on to which they've pointed out to me are read by "hundreds of thousands". When i pointed out that their previous dozen tweets had the sum total of about 5 likes, they went a bit quiet. Their "reporters" are utter failures so it looks like theyre searching for other avenues. Fair play.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 am

Rags like the Fail only feed on click bait articles these days. Very little real journalism goes on anymore. Hence all the transfer rumours and bugger all happening.

I was just involved in an employment tribunal. The local rag (not the Fail but a regional partner) was only interested in the juicy gossip and even after the case was dismissed only took the opportunity to repeat the juicy gossip, playing down the actual result.

The press are mainly worthless and useless scumbags, only interested in selling papers or getting clicks. What they fail to realise is that quality stories will also attract eyeballs, whilst useless crap will eventually turn everyone off.

Rant over U23s/youth watch 1327487109
Gordonsleftboot
Gordonsleftboot

U23s/youth watch 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Totally agree mate. What a travesty that the country that gave the world such a great canon of literature should have such a foul and lazy press.
Anyway, that aside, I'll try and keep folks updated on the U23s via this thread as relief from the dour shit that the seniors are currently serving up.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 pm

I remember when reserve fixtures actually meant something and players, young old or coming back from injury would play in the reserves trying to force the way into the first team. Also players in the first team who had a loss of form would be dropped and then the player from the reserve team was given a chance.
Nowadays it seems no matter how poor their form is players don't get dropped. Surely we should have 2 teams with a number 1 & 2 in each position and then also the youth trying to push through.
Boldfinger

U23s/youth watch 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:09 pm

I don't normally C&P from The Fail, but this is a decent analysis TBF:

The majority of Aston Villa fans have heard about the promising U23 side but don’t know too much about them.

Well tonight, the club’s official website live streamed the 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough to help promote the talented young side.

Typical that it should be goalless given they’ve scored 15 times in the previous five games!

Aston Villa U23 0 Middlesbrough U23 0: Kienan Davis misses late penalty in Villa Park stalemate

Having watched the majority of their games over the past two seasons I can certainly say I’ve gained a lot more joy than covering the first-team.

Yes, it’s development football and the stakes aren’t as high but it’s still exciting to see the talent coming through at Villa Park.

Star-of-the-show Rushian Hepburn-Murphy was missing this evening through injury while Jordan Lyden, Khalid Abdo, Rory Hale and Oscar Borg are among a number of injured players who have missed out in recent times.

But there’s still a number of players to keep an eye on in the future as Gregg Evans reports:

Matija Sarkic

The 21-year-old has been at the club for a couple of seasons now and is starting to blossom into a fine young stopper. Like most keepers, he’s a decent shot-stopper but he still has to work on his all-round play and commanding his area better. The signs are good for Sarkic, who made the first-team bench recently when Mark Bunn was injured. Tonight he made four crucial saves, two of them routine and the other two spectacular.

Tom Leggett

He’s the regular right-back who likes to get up and down the flank and join in with attacks. Signed from Southampton in 2014, Leggett, 20, is yet to break into the first-team or even feature in a matchday squad. He’s making strides, though. Tonight he captained the side and stuck at his tasks despite finding it hard to deal with Middlesbrough’s right-sided players early on.

Easah Suliman

I like the look of this talented soon-to-be 19-year-old centre-half. Cool and composed in possession, Suliman rarely makes mistakes and a recent loan spell at Cheltenham has helped his development. Although he didn’t play as often as he would have liked, he’s learned what it’s like to be involved in men’s football and that experience is crucial. Previously there were question marks over his strength. Well now, he’s looking tougher and dominant in the air. He leads the team, too.

Kevin Toner

One of the few players to have experienced life in the first-team, Toner made his breakthrough at the back end of last term and earned himself a new deal at the club. The 20-year-old is a no-nonsense defender who is still learning his way in the game but is making strides forward. A loan spell at Walsall would have equipped him well for the demands of regular football and now he needs games in 2017 to aid his development. Tonight he won some important headers, made vital interceptions and used his strength to good avantage against a tricky Boro forward line.

Riccardo Calder

The sooner this lad kicks on the better. Turning 21 this month should be the catalyst for him to really make a go of 2017 because he has all the attributes on the field to make a name for himself. Strong in the tackle, quick, skilful, good in the air and versatile. Calder has so much going for him. Does he want it enough? Only he knows the answer to that. Loan spells at Doncaster and Dundee in the past have equipped him for the future, now it’s his time to show what he’s made of. Tonight he played at left-back instead of centre midfield. His deliveries were good, he won most of his aerial duels and he limited Boro’s right-side throughout.

Harry McKirdy

Tonight he didn’t see as much of the ball as he would have liked, Yet still he showed a moment of magic by wriggling his way through the Boro backline and rattling the crossbar with a first-half effort. McKirdy is the right-sided wideman who wears his shorts two sizes too small. Those legs of his can go for miles, though. Recently returned from a loan spell at Stevenage where he scored two times.

Jake Doyle-Hayes

A very impressive display from the tall central midfielder tonight who stepped up from the U18s to perform well for the U23s. Doyle-Hayes is a blonde-haired midfielder who looks so composed on the ball and also has a teasing delivery from set-piece situations. He moves the ball quickly, has an array of passes in his locker and also works hard when defending. The 18-year-old middle man stood up well to his opponents and could be one to keep an eye on. Is the U18s captain and has featured for Republic of Ireland at youth level.

Callum O’Hare

Not his most effective night but he still put himself about. O’Hare is one of the smallest players in the group but he’s stocky, quick, can run for hours and also has an eye for goal. I like his grit and determination. He’s adapted to play in a number of positions for Villa.

Andre Green

The best player on the pitch for me tonight. Green crashed the woodwork with a curling effort after cutting in from the left and he showed maturity and positivity throughout. The teenager was Villa’s main threat and his deliveries are just crying for someone to stick them away. Was taken off after 60 minutes as he’s expected to feature for the first-team on Saturday. Did well at Wolves on Saturday after coming off the bench in the second half.

Jerell Sellars

Good to see the forward back in action although tonight wasn’t really his night. Sellars is neat and tidy in possession and shows good skill when he’s on the ball. He has quick feet, likes to get his shots away and has that fire in his belly which never goes amiss. This year is a big chance for him to make an impact. Another loan spell is expected at some stage.

Keinan Davis

It’s easy to forget that this 18-year-old forward has only been in the set-up for just 13 months such is his rapid rise. Davis is another player who has been used in the first-team this term and that marks great progress. He was heavily involved in the latter stages tonight, first rolling the Boro backline and then drawing a foul which saw Dael Fry sent off, then missing a last-hasp penalty. There’s more to come from this likeable striker and expect a loan spell at some stage this month.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Nice to read but after hearing for years about ,"the next Steven Gerrard" I won't put too much stock into such reports until the player has shown if he can do it in the first team, on a cold Wednesday night in Stoke with Ashley F Westwood next to him.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Apparently we are the top team for giving our youngsters the most time in the first team. Having said that and looking at our first team it's no boast is it?
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm

I'd seriously question that given that our relegation season saw us crying out for change - any kind of change - and it just didn't happen. Even when it was official I think the club's attitude was that it didn't want to dahage the mentality of the kids by thrieubg them into the almighty mess that was the first team.

Prior to that I can't recall us giving opportunities to too many of the kids. But then I can't recall what I watched on TV last night so I'm not the most reliable when it comes to remembering.... um.....what we were talking about?
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Homeland! I was watching the new series of Homeland!
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Interesting that we sold three strikers and signed one. Should be a big chance for Keinan Davis to get some experience, I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

It's a shame about Hepburn-Murphy when the story first broke out about his contract I thought he'd sign eventually, but it's looking like it's not going to happen, not sure what he's playing at really, because he'd be getting game time. We really could do with him coming to his senses and committing.
deadbuzzardalive

U23s/youth watch 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:45 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Interesting that we sold three strikers and signed one. Should be a big chance for Keinan Davis to get some experience, I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

It's a shame about Hepburn-Murphy when the story first broke out about his contract I thought he'd sign eventually, but it's looking like it's not going to happen, not sure what he's playing at really, because he'd be getting game time. We really could do with him coming to his senses and committing.

Bearing in mind we have two strikers plus Gabby and Kozak maybe the club knows something about the contract we don't. Or maybe having started the season with too many strikers and not enough in midfield we've decided to swap so we have too many in midfield and not enough up front?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 pm

I didn't manage to catch the U23s game against WHU, but sounds like we put in a decent performance, Blackett-Taylor, Johansson and Davis all having a good game.

Match report:
Game details

Match: West Ham U23 v Aston Villa U23  
Date: January 27, 2017  
Competition: Premier League 2
Venue: Chigwell Construction Stadium
Kick-off: 7pm
Weather: 5c, partly cloudy

Analysis

Villa U23s produced an impressive and professional display on the road to earn a point against West Ham at Dagenham and Redbridge.

It was an entertaining Premier League Two contest between two sides who like to play fast-flowing possession football.  

The Irons started on the front foot and carved two opportunities in the opening moments – the latter from Reece Oxford producing a solid save from stopper Viktor Johansson following an intricate move.  

Villa grew into the clash and went close through Jerell Sellars and Keinan Davis both with long range efforts – the latter’s strike testing goalkeeper Nathan Trott’s reflexes to the limit.  

Once again, Johansson impressed and made a number of tricky situations appear routine – holding Vashon Neurfville and Dan Kemp’s efforts.

The start of the second period was equally competitive.  

Terry Westley’s side could have drawn first blood soon after – Domingos Quina forcing Sweden U19 international Johansson into another fine save.  

Much like in the opening 45 minutes, the B6 claret and blues settled and began to push the Hammers’ backline back.  

Striker Davis was thwarted by Trott, Riccardo Calder’s follow-up blocked.  

On the hour, an outstanding run combining pace, strength and a cross with precision from Corey Blackett-Taylor picked out Davis at the back post, his header held.  

Blackett-Taylor was a standout performer and moments later produced yet another fine cross, picking out Callum O’Hare whose looping head edged marginally wide.  

And from there on in, the visitors looked the more likely.  

A well-worked free-kick from the edge of the box ended with Sellars’ curler just off target once more.

Villa showed good game management skills to seal a point and a consecutive goalless draw as referee Lee Collins blew the final whistle.  

Line-ups

WEST HAM U23: Trott, Knoyle, Pask (Akinola HT), Rice, Neufville, Holland (Diangana 61), Makasi, Fletcher, Quina, Kemp (Powell 77). Unused subs Matrevics, Sylvestre.  

VILLA U23: Johansson, Clark, Suliman, Toner, Leggett, Blackett-Taylor, Calder, O'Hare, Cox, Sellars, Davis. Unused subs: Idem, Linley, Knibbs, Prosser, Mooney.

Misconduct summary

Bookings – West Ham  
Dan Kemp  
Tunji Akinola  
Reece Oxford  

Bookings – Villa  
Jordan Cox
Mitch Clark
Callum O’Hare
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:49 pm

FoxyAV wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:Interesting that we sold three strikers and signed one. Should be a big chance for Keinan Davis to get some experience, I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

Bearing in mind we have two strikers plus Gabby and Kozak maybe the club knows something about the contract we don't. Or maybe having started the season with too many strikers and not enough in midfield we've decided to swap so we have too many in midfield and not enough up front?

I think this is good news regarding Hepburn... Unless I'm reading it wrong...

Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 5m
Dr. Tony Xia Retweeted GENERAL-Gee
RHM got a new agent&said agreed terms but not penned yet. 3clubs offered buying Veretout. Sanchez&Libor's contracts 'll be ended this season
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:06 pm

That would be excellent!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:05 am

Ah, Veretout. Now would be the time to have bought him, not into the disaster that was last season. Going by whoscored (insert usual disclaimer here), as a central midfielder for Saint-Etienne he's on 7.16, which is better than anyone at Villa now Kodjia has dropped to a 7.15.

He's going to go on to be a very good player.

Good news about Audrey, I think.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 am

FoxyAV wrote:Ah, Veretout. Now would be the time to have bought him, not into the disaster that was last season. Going by whoscored (insert usual disclaimer here), as a central midfielder for Saint-Etienne he's on 7.16, which is better than anyone at Villa now Kodjia has dropped to a 7.15.

I hope you're right about Audrey. Regarding Veretout, in a sense we can't lose: either he comes back and shows he is a better player, if Bruce thinks he is good enough, or we get more cash for his improvement. Win- win?
Gordonsleftboot
Gordonsleftboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Hate Saturdays with late games, though it does give time to think!

Not only has the last window seen a transformation of the players in the squad, the feeling is that we are also looking to the future. Bree is 19, Badeau 17 & Hogan 24. Add in Grealish at 21, Green and Audrey at 18, Amavi 22 and Tishbola 22 (only on loan at Forest) and it's clear the squad is getting much younger. Even Baker is only 25. Not included Jonstone as I assume he will be off in a few months.

The implication is that not only is this a new squad but it also has scope to develop and improve. It may also explain though that some of the new players will be introduced slowly.

Gordonsleftboot
Gordonsleftboot

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Gordonsleftboot wrote:
FoxyAV wrote:Ah, Veretout. Now would be the time to have bought him, not into the disaster that was last season. Going by whoscored (insert usual disclaimer here), as a central midfielder for Saint-Etienne he's on 7.16, which is better than anyone at Villa now Kodjia has dropped to a 7.15.

I hope you're right about Audrey. Regarding Veretout, in a sense we can't lose: either he comes back and shows he is a better player, if Bruce thinks he is good enough, or we get more cash for his improvement. Win- win?

Sadly he doesn't want to come back. He'll stay where he's comfortable in France.

Do we have a particularly bad record with foreign signings of late or is it fairly average? Helenius wanted to go home to Denmark, Gil to Spain, Gollini to Italy, Veretout to France. And not forgetting Tony Moon.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Some players just don't settle in a foreign country, to be fair it must be difficult if you don't know the language as well!
achilles
achilles

U23s/youth watch 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:40 pm

U23s just gone 0-1 up against Norwich after 67 minutes. Very little in the way of media coverage other than the AVFC Twitter feed, but sounds like Green (goalscorer) and Bedeau (debut) are both playing really well.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next