The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

AVFC Youth Thread

+7
Fpuppys
Trotters
Jamie Gray
South London Villan
kimbo
villabromsgrove
smetro
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AVFC Youth Thread Empty AVFC Youth Thread

Post by smetro Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 pm

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on any hot prospects coming through our ranks:-

I seen Jay Donacien a couple of seasons back - hes a full back\centre back - pretty fast and strong - looked to have lot going for him - I think he went out loan last season - not sure how he got on

Clive Toner - another CB - pretty highly rated, But I beleive he is out of contract this summer

any other news folks ?

smetro
smetro

AVFC Youth Thread 4_star10

Back to top Go down

AVFC Youth Thread Empty Re: AVFC Youth Thread

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 am

Donacien is as quick as any CB I've seen. I thought he would make it a couple of years back, but he seems to have stalled a bit. Sounds like the usual Villa development programme doesn't it. Very Happy
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:29 am

I'm not sure he's stalled to be honest bud, I mean in all fairness he spent the entire season on loan at Tranmere, which is surely better than playing for our reserves or trying to cover an out-of-position Bacuna.

I went on one of their message boards and the two things I got from them was:
"He's far too good for this level", and "He's definitely better at right-back".

As for any other prospects, Andre Green seems to have a bit of buzz about him, not sure about anyone else. I miss the days of going to watch the reserves, I don't see much of the kids at all these days.

Oh also, Henry Cowans moves an awful lot like his dad, and he also knocks a lovely ball. That's a good start  Very Happy We'd be amazingly lucky if he turned out anywhere near as good as Cowans senior though.

The one thing with Sherwood should he be here a while is he has proper experience of running an academy, so hopefully things like that should be managed better now. For all the "OUR YOUNG PLAYERS ARE SHIT!" stance that some of our fans take, I do feel like MON and Lambert both contributed to stalling certain young players.
kimbo
kimbo

AVFC Youth Thread 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:09 pm

kimbo wrote:I'm not sure he's stalled to be honest bud, I mean in all fairness he spent the entire season on loan at Tranmere, which is surely better than playing for our reserves or trying to cover an out-of-position Bacuna.

I went on one of their message boards and the two things I got from them was:
"He's far too good for this level", and "He's definitely better at right-back".

As for any other prospects, Andre Green seems to have a bit of buzz about him, not sure about anyone else. I miss the days of going to watch the reserves, I don't see much of the kids at all these days.

Oh also, Henry Cowans moves an awful lot like his dad, and he also knocks a lovely ball. That's a good start  Very Happy We'd be amazingly lucky if he turned out anywhere near as good as Cowans senior though.

The one thing with Sherwood should he be here a while is he has proper experience of running an academy, so hopefully things like that should be managed better now. For all the "OUR YOUNG PLAYERS ARE SHIT!" stance that some of our fans take, I do feel like MON and Lambert both contributed to stalling certain young players.
Stalled was probably the wrong word Kimbo, It's a bit like trying to be the first sperm to swim to an egg .... Limited opportunity!

I also miss being able to wander down to VP and Walsall to watch the Villa lads. It was a real pleasure.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:25 pm

It's a shame he wasn't at a better side, I'm sure some of our more negative fans will probably blame him for Tranmere getting relegated... Wink
kimbo
kimbo

AVFC Youth Thread 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Kevin Toner is to offered a new deal - good news - hes highly rated
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Big Season coming up for Calumn Robinson now Andy Weiman has joined Derby
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Good point Smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:22 pm

I think the progress our Nextgen champions of Europe made is shameful and that is a sad indictment on the senior managers we have had.

We had a fantastic record in the youth leagues and cup and under Lambert that record and progress deteriorated like everything else he was responsible for. We have allowed talent and prospects to regress.
South London Villan
South London Villan

AVFC Youth Thread 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Gray Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:34 pm

For all the hype about our academy it's produced very little. A few players of half decent standing, some like CC & JG with potential but not yet in the 'great' category & a whole lot of just not good enoughs. Been a fair while since a really great player has come through. Southampton set the standard these days, Everton have had a few gems too, be nice if we found a few too. Actually I'd say it was vital with modern football economics.
Jamie Gray

AVFC Youth Thread 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:01 am

Think that's unfair. Gary Gardner, Craig Gardner, Chris Herd, Andreas Weimann, Whittingham, Hitzlsberger, Hendrie, Barry, Gabby, Cahill, Vassel, Davis, Ridgewell, Clarke, Baker, Albrighton, and now you get Robinson, Grealish, Donacien, Toner, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy etc. coming through. They are the only team to ever win the nextgen series, and have won leagues and cups the last 10-15 years.

Some of those have played in national sides, some have played in the champions league, a lot have played in the English top series, and some of them didn't/won't make it, but in general our academy is bloody great if you ask me.

The main problem isn't developing good players. The main problem is being able to KEEP the good players you develop. Main example would be Dan Crowley. We spend lots of time and money developing him and he fucks off to Arsenal before going professional as they offer tons of money. We get zero compensation and Sky will wank all over him as another brilliant Arsenal youth, while he in fact was a Villa academy graduate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:20 pm

smetro wrote:Kevin Toner is to offered a new deal - good news - hes highly rated

Great news. It's always a pain in the arse when you run out of Toner.
Trotters
Trotters

AVFC Youth Thread 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:15 pm

I remember going to watch this game with my brother-in-law who's an Arsenal fan.

Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:45 pm

I listened to that match live, it was some game. Chris Herd leaps like a salmon!
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Gray Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Joppe84 wrote:Think that's unfair. Gary Gardner, Craig Gardner, Chris Herd, Andreas Weimann, Whittingham,  Hitzlsberger, Hendrie, Barry, Gabby, Cahill, Vassel, Davis, Ridgewell, Clarke, Baker, Albrighton, and now you get Robinson, Grealish, Donacien, Toner, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy etc. coming through. They are the only team to ever win the nextgen series, and have won leagues and cups the last 10-15 years.  

Some of those have played in national sides, some have played in the champions league, a lot have played in the English top series, and some of them didn't/won't make it, but in general our academy is bloody great if you ask me.

The main problem isn't developing good players. The main problem is being able to KEEP the good players you develop. Main example would be Dan Crowley. We spend lots of time and money developing him and he fucks off to Arsenal before going professional as they offer tons of money. We get zero compensation and Sky will wank all over him as another brilliant Arsenal youth, while he in fact was a Villa academy graduate.

I stand by my comments mate, how many of the ex players did we sell for big money? Some of those players are decent, some very decent, only Barry & Cahill superb & Barry wasn't our player, we got him from Brighton & Cahill we sold too damn soon. Grealish & the other youngsters are nothing more than potential at this point in time. Even Clark isn't the finished product yet. My point isn't that we haven't produced enough players of proven high quality, which we haven't, you can't argue with that.
Jamie Gray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:56 pm

Stand by what you want. You said "our academy it's produced very little" and I honestly think that's hogwash.

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:52 am

Our academy has produced loads of solid premiership (Davis, Baker, Clark, Gabby, Albrighton, Craig Gardner, Myhill etc) and good Championship (Weimann, Lichaj, Whittingham etc)

But considering how highly regarded it is it has only produced 2 elite players in recent times (Barry, Cahill) and finished 7th in the U21s division 2!
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Gray Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:33 pm

Joppe84 wrote:Stand by what you want. You said "our academy it's produced very little" and I honestly think that's hogwash.

It depends what perspective you have. Your taking the comments very literally. If I add 'of high quality' to the end then I think I'm right.
Jamie Gray

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Jamie Gray wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:Stand by what you want. You said "our academy it's produced very little" and I honestly think that's hogwash.

It depends what perspective you have. Your taking the comments very literally. If I add 'of high quality' to the end then I think I'm right.

I make you 100% right Jamie, our Academy is trading on some long lost reputation from many years ago. Our record in the FA Youth Cup since reaching the Semi Final in 2011 is pathetic for a club with our heritage in that competition, I think we have won just one game (if memory serves) in that time in the Youth Cup!

The list of players we have churned out may look good in terms of numbers....but in terms of quality? sadly, sadly lacking.
It's true we are no worse than a lot of other clubs in terms of producing elite players, but not many other clubs bang on about having a fantastic academy!
If awards were handed out for having the best facilities, then yeah...we would be amongst the top 4 or 5!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Comes down to what you’re looking for.

The only player to have left and hit higher heights after leaving the villa is Cahill. The rest either wasn’t good enough to get into the team our wasn’t good enough at all. I’m sure some of it comes down to the hype of we’ve won the reserve league again as well as the next gen, but truth be told the reserves league isn’t as competitive as it once was imo. Players need to be loaned out in order to develop or stand still in the reserve league.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Barry hit some decent heights
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Has Kevin MacDonald left or is Our site just lazy.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/WhosWho/0,,10265,00.html
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:Barry hit some decent heights

Of course but he came from brighton.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:45 pm

The problem isn't with the Academy over the last decade, it's with managers never being interested in giving our prospects a real chance. Each manager in turn has bought in average players who have then blocked any chance for our invisible Academy players.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Dgrizzle7 wrote:
Villa_Dan wrote:Barry hit some decent heights

Of course but he came from brighton.

Cahill was the same age when we got him then
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan