The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The next Villa Manager

+48
WendyOz
worcesterkev
South London Villan
Dgrizzle7
achilles
Barabass
Boldfinger
villajk
thegaffer6
Gordonsleftboot
Peter
mefromhere
Con
big ming
Wookster
Army villain
CoE82
avfcjoe
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
jeffvilla
danclare82
gdav
Synopsis
shanghaivilla
VTID85
Saunders82
4BetLite
andrew24561
De Kuip
Villa Ranger
boltblaster
nickf21
Cha Ching
FoxyAV
Dions_Bald_Head
smetro
Dazzle
DelboyVilla
Terry Derry
The Utterer
deadbuzzardalive
Trotters
BillytheKid
Wriggle
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
NARLA24
52 posters

Page 22 of 36 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29 ... 36  Next

Go down

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 Empty Re: The next Villa Manager

Post by jeffvilla Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:06 am

I absolutely hate the idea of Steve Bruce (Mr potato head) but if he can do a job and get us out of this Fecking division then I shall a loyal and obedient servant to the man.  Still don't like him though. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 am

Why do people keep mentioning Big Sam? Leaving aside his awful brand of football, he could easily be banned from football soon and if Pat Murphy is right he's not being considered.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:20 am

Xia has stated they didn't have a lot of time last time around. And they turned potato head down then.

With more time - and I'm sure that this managerial hunt didn't start in the weekend - and Steve Round on board, I can't see Bruce getting the job unless absolutely everyone else turns us down.
Trotters
Trotters

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:22 am

Pat Murphy Verified account
‏@patmurphybbc

Gary Rowett not on @AVFCOfficial list. The process of elimination continues,fellow sleuths!
deadbuzzardalive

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:32 am

Trotters wrote:Xia has stated they didn't have a lot of time last time around. And they turned potato head down then.

They turned him down in the summer? I hadn't seen that
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:42 am

Trotters wrote:Xia has stated they didn't have a lot of time last time around. And they turned potato head down then.

I don't think that has been established as he was still at Hull at the time of the RDM appointment, so he could very easily be an option now that he is out of work and local!

Personally I don't care I just want out of this league!
achilles
achilles

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:53 am

Using the brain on this one.
Now, we have strong Everton connections with the Chief Executive and the Technical Director.
So here is a theory to go at. With those connections who were at Everton when David Moyes was there do you think, seeing as Moyes is not happy at Sunderland , that there could be something afoot with Moyes.
Just an idea worth thinking about.
Long shot but worth a punt. The next Villa Manager - Page 22 3769219917 Popcorn
NARLA24
NARLA24

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:06 am

NARLA24 wrote:Using the brain on this one.
Now, we have strong Everton connections with the Chief Executive and the Technical Director.
So here is a theory to go at. With those connections who were at Everton when David Moyes was there do you think, seeing as Moyes is not happy at Sunderland , that there could be something afoot with Moyes.
Just an idea worth thinking about.
Long shot but worth a punt. The next Villa Manager - Page 22 3769219917 Popcorn

Interesting thought and who knows for sure? But would he step down a division, especially as promotion this season is far from certain? I doubt it.

My own thought is that we need 'one of our own' and not a mercinary. Problem is who does that leave? Grayson? OK he beat us on Saturday and certainly has Preston doing as well, if not better, than we are and on pocket money. But the style of football is not great and he has never won this division.

The 'we didn't have much time' comment seems like an excuse to me. I don't buy that, a mistake was made but won't or can't be admitted.

If we can't get one of our own then go for a younger manager with fresh ideas and some balls and give him time.
Gordonsleftboot
Gordonsleftboot

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:11 am

Gordonsleftboot wrote:
If we can't get one of our own then go for a younger manager with fresh ideas and some balls and give him time.

That would be a huge gamble with the future of the club
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:22 am

Of all the older brigade that could stabilize us, Moyes ranks higher then the other names for me. Before we bought in RDM, I was calling for Moyes minimum. He hasn't done himself any justice up there though and I think he might just be yesterdays man, but whoever it is I would support them.

I can appreciate where Dan is coming from re-Bruce and the need for stability. I think he might well be able to get us ticking over, but for me it is a short sighted route.

This is a 2 year plan, always has been with this board and I think those 1st 5 games, where we created so many chances, has raised everyone's expectations too high, too quickly and that's what put the pressure on RDM to deliver wins quicker then anyone could have possibly hoped for considering the state we were in and the shear volume of the playing staff changes.

The more I read about Wagner the more I think he would be a good shout, but the more I think about it, we have the opportunity to get the best that we possibly can get. The names that do not appear to be realistically getable are where we should be aiming and I'm confident that our Board and especially our Chairman, could sell this club, this idea, this challenge to more higher profile managers then we think we could realistically get.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:26 am

I don't dislike Steve Bruce as a bloke, he passes my, "I'd have a pint with him test". I just don't think it would be a particularly progressive, long term appointment. The Wagner idea is much more exciting, but maybe he is just flavour of the month and it all may end in tears. I think on balance though, it would need something special to get us up this season, and there's more of a chance of something special with Wagner, who currently has momentum, than with Steve Bruce.

If it doesn't happen but we can see genuine progress then I feel we are more likely to get promoted with Wagner the following season than with Bruce. By then Wagner would have been able to get his own players and instilled his own style. I think there's an expectation that if we appoint Bruce that he will get us up this season, so if he doesn't it will be seen as failure and he'll loose the fans. Wagner however, provided he's doing a good job, will be given more time and patience.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:32 am

Steve Bruce's resume reads:

4 promotions to the Premier League (more than anyone else)
Relegated twice - Blues and Hull - got both back up
Took Wigan to 11th
Took Sunderland to top 10
Kept Blues in the Premier League for 4 years

For me, Bruce is the man who could get us up and stable in the Premier League midtable over the next 3 seasons.

Wagner would be someone with the potential to do more.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:42 am

All those that want Steve Bruce should read this article from the Guardian, you just might think twice.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:03 pm

Fpuppys wrote:All those that want Steve Bruce should read this article from the Guardian, you just might think twice.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

And yet since that article he took Hull to the Prem, kept them up, then was relegated and got them up a 2nd time.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:15 pm

David Moyes would be terrible. Firstly because he's a spent force. Secondly because he's a slow starter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Read the article in the Guardian most managers leave it to the back room staff, that's why the last few managers have failed.
So for me Clarke needs to go as well, 
We need a manager to come in with all his back room staff, or a decent assistant with him.
So can the new manager come with a decent assistant, Clarke is not going to like being a assistant, more to think about.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:17 pm

When we get up, I sure as hell do not want to back down again........... that's my real issue with Bruce. He might work out but there is the possibility that he could make us a whole lot worse. Thanks for the points of view Dan and the stats but he just doesn't click with me.

I'm sure the Birmingham Mail would love him to come though, feck me, they would have a field day everyday with the bloke.

Before RDM came I said Moyes minimum, now its Dyche minimum for me and hopefully someone better.

4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Most of our recent managers have left it to their assistants on the training field and imo that's a problem. Mon was like that, Lambert relied on Culverhouse for that, Tim relied on coaches like Chris Ramsey and Di-Matteo was lost without Eddie Newton. All of which I highlighted in a new thread I started today. Bringing in a "training ground manager" with all of his staff around him would be the way to go i think.

Because when a manager is putting his ideas to the players himself that builds an understanding that will hopefully be heeded on Saturday afternoon. Managers who leave it to the coaches to do the dirty work and then shows his face on match days with tactics the players don't even understand just causes confusion I think.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:

They turned him down in the summer? I hadn't seen that

Someone on here said they ran into him at Harvey Nichols at the time Villa were last interviewing.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:05 pm

4BetLite wrote:When we get up, I sure as hell do not want to back down again........... that's my real issue with Bruce. He might work out but there is the possibility that he could make us a whole lot worse. Thanks for the points of view Dan and the stats but he just doesn't click with me.

I'm sure the Birmingham Mail would love him to come though, feck me, they would have a field day everyday with the bloke.

Before RDM came I said Moyes minimum, now its Dyche minimum for me and hopefully someone better.

A good point. It's all very well saying that we need a manager for the moment & currently that's to get us out the Championship, but if I had to choose (& thank funt I don't) then I'd rather have someone who might have more chance to push on. I'd rather wait patiently in the Championship for another season if I felt we were improving as a club, rather than rushing up, struggling & then having to appoint yet another manager. Isn't that just putting us back to where we were?
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't know why some people are complaining so much about Mr Potato Head IF he gets the job (which he hasn't yet).

He knows what he is doing in this League and that's what we need at this moment!

Also think back to when he got the knuckledraggers into the Premier League? How many times did they beat us? His football isn't pretty but he does the job and knows the club, he is not ideal but he may well be the best candidate out there for us for the next 2 years? I don't think he is a last resort but more like a first choice?

The likes of Lee Johnson, Dean Smith, Simon Grayson, Gary Rowett and Luton Manager have nothing on their CV's. Mr Wagner has nothing either but one thing he does have is 4 years in charge of reserves at a big European club he may be of interest?

As for the Mancinis, Pellegrininism Van Gaals and Hiddinks anyone that thinks they could or would perform at this level need their heads testing?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm not sure if this is an important factor or not, but I can't see The Doc and Mr Bruce having a lot in common. Imagine the conversation;

SB. What ahm proposing boss is a big fella up top and hit plenty of balls into the box.

DrT. When the big man cannot see the work of the small man the big man is lost.

SB. Ah whay gaffer we'll just flatten the little fucker

DrT. When all around is mountains the flat land rules the earth

SB. Well the Villa Park pitch is flat boss we'll stuff 'em on Saturday

DrT. When the lion roars it is from the very depths of history to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies.

SB. Fancy a pint boss?
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:46 pm

4BetLite wrote:When we get up, I sure as hell do not want to back down again........... that's my real issue with Bruce. He might work out but there is the possibility that he could make us a whole lot worse. Thanks for the points of view Dan and the stats but he just doesn't click with me.

If we go up and come straight back down we at least have £100m tv money in the coffers. - If we stay down we don't.

Sure look to the future - but don't overlook the here and now. I don't see the evidence that wagner would push on in the premiership significantly more than Bruce.
It seems were almost making the assumption, than somebody who doesn't getting us winning games quickly, will be better for us in the long run.

Try for Sean Dyche - if not Brucey for me - we have to stop overthinking these managerial appointments
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:11 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:I'm not sure if this is an important factor or not, but I can't see The Doc and Mr Bruce having a lot in common. Imagine the conversation;

SB. What ahm proposing boss is a big fella up top and hit plenty of balls into the box.

DrT.  When the big man cannot see the work of the small man the big man is lost.

SB. Ah whay gaffer we'll just flatten the little fucker

DrT. When all around is mountains the flat land rules the earth

SB. Well the Villa Park pitch is flat boss we'll stuff 'em on Saturday

DrT. When the lion roars it is from the very depths of history to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies.

SB. Fancy a pint boss?

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 1956653425
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Houghton or Wagner for me.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

The next Villa Manager - Page 22 0_star10