The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Next Aston Villa manager thread

+29
VillaBill
Saunders82
Army villain
LVBrit
ember
Fpuppys
Synopsis
STO67
bruka
VTID85
big ming
deadbuzzardalive
Boldfinger
Dions_Bald_Head
Jae1411
DelboyVilla
De Kuip
The Utterer
danclare82
villajk
Terry Derry
FoxyAV
achilles
Villa_Dan
smetro
Dazzle
UnclePanda
rogermuffin69
AstonThriller
33 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

Next Aston Villa manager thread Empty Next Aston Villa manager thread

Post by AstonThriller Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Alright guys, we've been here before, but I really do think that the writing is now firmly on the wall. Will the board bottle it again? I don't know. But I think the heat is as high as it's been for a while. He's now lost the away fans when you see THIS video from the game tonight, So I think it's only a matter of time now.

Aitor Karanka
Oscar Garcia
Carlos Carvahal
Jaap Stam
Gary Monk

Would all take the job imo. Karanka would probably be the easiest because he would already have his assistant at the club. But I think all of these would give us a chance to go up this season.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Next Aston Villa manager thread 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Next Aston Villa manager thread Empty Re: Next Aston Villa manager thread

Post by rogermuffin69 Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Dean smith. villa fan plays good footy. can work with peanuts. which we'll have next year.
rogermuffin69
rogermuffin69

Next Aston Villa manager thread 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by UnclePanda Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:36 pm

If we can nick him, Dean Smith.
But, I wouldnt be disappointed with Carvahal

But, for the record, I dont think Bruce will go before the end of the season.
UnclePanda
UnclePanda

Next Aston Villa manager thread 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:44 pm

It probably has to be somebody who is available and is renowned more as a coaching type of manager, as money will be near non-existent I would think. I really don’t know, but then I’m not paid to know..................so over to Wyness and Round it is...................which doesn’t fill me with confidence
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:04 pm

rogermuffin69 wrote:Dean smith. villa fan plays good footy. can work with peanuts. which we'll have next year.

Worked with peanuts at Walsall (as everyone does in that division) - At Brentford he doesn't buy the players - the good football IMO is negated by his inability to organise a defence - Think he would be Tim Sherwood v2. I hope it isn't Dean Smith.

Monk or Terry until the end of the season ? - Or are we brave enough to take a punt on Nathan Jones from Luton - very highly rated - but think we would have to wait - and as luton may get promoted the timing could be all wrong for us....

smetro
smetro

Next Aston Villa manager thread 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Bruce has lost the away fans. Didn't give them a wave walking past at full time and booed by them
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:11 pm

That is two of the problems, 'Wyness and Round'.

Stick with him till the end of the season and then have a totally new appraisal and get the appropriate manager in to put that plan in action to transform Aston Villa from top to bottom (again)!
achilles
achilles

Next Aston Villa manager thread 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Think he will get a couple more games myself. Jan 6 could be interesting !!!
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 pm

achilles wrote:That is two of the problems, 'Wyness and Round'.

Stick with him till the end of the season and then have a totally new appraisal and get the appropriate manager in to put that plan in action to transform Aston Villa from top to bottom (again)!

Not really sure Round does anything. seems a bit of a yes man to me...
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:57 am

smetro wrote:
achilles wrote:That is two of the problems, 'Wyness and Round'.

Not really sure Round does anything. seems a bit of a yes man to me...

EXACTLY! Next Aston Villa manager thread 4025243045
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 am

Villa_Dan wrote:Bruce has lost the away fans. Didn't give them a wave walking past at full time and booed by them

Oh dear Very Happy

That's a rather large nail for the coffin isn't it?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:34 am

Nathan Jones - just check out his Luton stats - highly rated in the game - tries to play good football - Just what we need IMO
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:41 am

FoxyAV wrote:
Villa_Dan wrote:Bruce has lost the away fans. Didn't give them a wave walking past at full time and booed by them

Oh dear Very Happy

To be fair the away fans were slating him off as he was walking past, don't think I would have waved either! Bye
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Derry Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 am

achilles wrote:
FoxyAV wrote:

Oh dear Very Happy

To be fair the away fans were slating him off as he was walking past, don't think I would have waved either! Bye

We gave him loads of grief and he will get more of it at Boro.
Terry Derry
Terry Derry

Back to top Go down

Post by villajk Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 pm

give the job to Giggs /Hoddle no2
villajk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:17 pm

smetro wrote:Nathan Jones - just check out his Luton stats - highly rated in the game - tries to play good football - Just what we need IMO

First I've heard of him, but I'm intrigued

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Joppe84 wrote:
smetro wrote:Nathan Jones - just check out his Luton stats - highly rated in the game - tries to play good football - Just what we need IMO

Was he the manager when they beat us last season?
danclare82
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:38 pm

It's a tough one,

I don't for a minute think we will see a change however, unless we end up in the relegation places or something.

As for who could replace SB? For me we need either a big personality with huge ability who can handle the pressure (Rafa for example) or a Thoroughbred Villa man of the Gregory ilk, rather than a meek Paul Lambert or Remi Garde type who have no real passion for the club.

SB has the big presence but fails ability wise in my view. Yes he has a lot of injuries to key players (AGAIN!) and yes it has hit us at the worst possible time as we have a run of very tough games condensed over the Christmas & New Year period.....But to win none of them is unacceptable.

His big mistake has been trying to shoehorn Jedi into Central defence. This should have been tried in the coming Summer months not midway through what was a half decent attempt at promotion up until the end of November.

It has cost Bruce dear in my eyes and backfired massively.

Selling Baker was clearly also a huge mistake.

For me he should have given Elphick a run...not ideal i know but surely if he had put Jedinak in the team in place of Whelan that would have solidified us and then at least Elphick & Chester would have been playing in their natural positions. We would likely have conceded a few no doubt but i feel it would have been better than what has transpired!

This Jedinak experiment has failed hugely and has likely trashed our promotion chances and that is on Bruce 100%.

As for Dean Smith? I'm really not sure tbh. The Villa connection is there but i'm not sure the ability is so it would be a risk.

Sadly there are less & less able Villa men around who fit the criteria. I just so wish we had Rafa as he could get us up i'm sure and then would have the backing he craves from Xia, unlike the lack of one he is getting up North.
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Has he gone yet?
@The Utterer - I'd love to think that Jedi was his biggest mistake but for me it's just symptomatic of the real issue which is SB simply has no idea what he's doing other than to plan for one match day at a time. I'd say it's like driving along and only ever looking at the dials on the dashboard, not once does it seem he's ever actually looked out of the windscreen let alone know the destination. This means a constant fear of what he is up against as he's no idea of direction of travel. Everything is moved and tweaked constantly in order to avoid a crash. Problem is if you never look ahead or have a direction of travel, no matter how much you adjust the controls, you'll eventually come a cropper. That's exactly what it feels like to me - sure you'll do ok when the road is smooth and straight like playing Burton Albion, but as soon as it becomes challenging you'll crash.
No direction of travel, no forward vision, just a micro focus  on tweaking the controls every 5 minutes and panicking because they don't work and being unable to see why.
Let's sling the driver out of the car and replace him with someone with vision.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Next Aston Villa manager thread 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm

danclare82 wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:

Was he the manager when they beat us last season?

Well he joined then in Jan 2016 - So yes he would have been  in charge for that game. He is contracted to them until summer 2020 - he was previously first team coach at Brighton (we got the wrong one in calderwood) - He strikes me a Graham Taylor type - likeable, loyal , and very ambitious - I doubt he would jump ship before the end of the season (Luton are top of league 2) - Rumours that Sunderland we considering him before they appointed Coleman - so it would seem he will get the call from a championship club over the next 12 months or so.

Check out these articles....

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-12-08/nathan-jones-luton-town-boss-lands-manager-of-the-month-prize-for-second-month-in-a-row/

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/4514/profile-luton-town-manager-nathan-jones/
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:44 am

I would fancy going for it and approaching Clement, Bilic or Koeman and selling them a dream! This in my view would be a Rafa type appointment!
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 pm

@De Kuip Yes i guess i should rephrase that, Jedi is indeed not his biggest mistake just one of many. I know all managers make mistakes from time to time but to try to convert a midfielder into a central defender right at the crucial part of the season against some of our rivals was a ridiculous risk that should have never been undertaken in my view. Elphick would have been a risk but not on such a crazy scale i guess was my main point.

I like your analogy btw.

Koeman is a good shout too i feel. Not sure about Bilic as his heart lies with a different Claret & Blue outfit.

The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Smet has sold me on Jones. I'm all for it.

Xia needs to pull the trigger now though

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:00 pm

The Utterer wrote:@De Kuip Yes i guess i should rephrase that, Jedi is indeed not his biggest mistake just one of many. I know all managers make mistakes from time to time but to try to convert a midfielder into a central defender right at the crucial part of the season against some of our rivals was a ridiculous risk that should have never been undertaken in my view.  Elphick would have been a risk but not on such a crazy scale i guess was my main point.

I like your analogy btw.

Koeman is a good shout too i feel. Not sure about Bilic as his heart lies with a different Claret & Blue outfit.

Cheers mate- don't get me wrong, Jedi is a dreadful choice at the back mind. What gets me is how slow so many of our players are, its scandalous it really is.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Next Aston Villa manager thread 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Joppe84 wrote:Smet has sold me on Jones. I'm all for it.

Xia needs to pull the trigger now though

My preference for Nathan Jones ....well isn't really a preference, I only put him forward as if we are down to considering Dean Smith, I feel Jones is an equal gamble but potentially has a much higher ceiling.
I could be totally wrong but we need to do due diligence on smith. His Brentford side hold a lot of bad defensive stats (I think they have lost more games from winning positions than anyone else) - also the role he undertakes at Brentford - his is a cog in a management team, the club is very well run, much of the infrastructure was there prior to him - Smith just slotted in and coached the first team. Appointing Smith IMO would be comparable to appointing RDM because he won the champions league with Chelsea.

I am not hopeful on this next point but here goes - I would hope now that the current board would have an idea of the skill set they want - rather than saying 'ah hes a villa fan....and look at what he did at Brentford'

smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next