The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa v Birmingham City

+22
The Great white walnut
VillaBill
Stratfordvilla
mefromhere
smetro
Saunders82
villajk
Dions_Bald_Head
UnclePanda
thegaffer6
LVBrit
Army villain
Synopsis
DomAVFC
ViewFromT2
avfcjay
De Kuip
Villa_Dan
Trotters
Dgrizzle7
aberdarevilla
NARLA24
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tonight's Result

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_lcap68%Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 68% 
[ 13 ]
Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_lcap16%Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_lcap11%Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 19

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 Empty Re: Aston Villa v Birmingham City

Post by UnclePanda Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Phew! Well done boys. Hopefully thatll bring some confidence back
Lots of work to do, tho!
UnclePanda
UnclePanda

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Well it's a win at last, lucky for Tim, off for some beers.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:43 pm

The city is ours - yaaaaheeey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Dions_Bald_Head wrote:Can we allow ourselves to be optimistic tonight & say that some of our new players might be building some confidence which will see a turnaround?

Maybe...?

I hope so.

I short recap for me, well a recap of second half anyway. The first half was awful.

Getting Clark back next to Richards is incredibly important IMO. We need a no nonsense CB to partner Richards, and Clark can do that job. Lescott and Richards are too "cultured" to play together. They have the same tendency to keep the ball for too long.
Richards deserves more praise from me. For someone I thought would be a god damn catastrophe at CB, he's largely been excellent.
Veretout is, as I predicted, incredibly important for us in a midfield 3. He keeps possession well, and relieves pressure off Westwood defensively.
Grealish was fucking amazing. He has that x-factor you only see in absolute quality. Looks like he has about 2-3 seconds on any players he is facing. We could easily run a midfield with Gueye, Veretout and Grealish.
I've been a big fan of Ayew since we signed him. I know he hasn't been very good, but he has that raw bit about him. I'm 100% certain he can come good if he gets confidence. Think he's a good fit for Grealish and Gil as well. Good chemistry with Grealish today. Great work rate.
Gestede is beyond dogshit. I've never seen a professional footballer look that bad at football. I did however see him head a ball with his chest and neck about 10 times. He scored a goal though. Get a goal each match and I won't care about his legs not working.

We could in theory see a line-up of :

Veretout - Gueye - Grealish
Ayew - Gestede - Gil

well maybe in a cup match anyway.

Thank fuck for a win. Scarf Waving

Back to top Go down

Post by villajk Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Change Veretout he is not up to speed for Gardner and get a striker in the next window and Grealish is Great
villajk

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Veretout was quality IMO Ayew looked a different player when he was allowed to run at people. Richards was an absolute beast. Grealish scared the crap out of them. Gestede is pretty wank with the ball at his feet but whip it in and he'll go for it. 

Off home, feel fucking battered (coming down with flu so beer and jumping about the Holte didn't help). Get in!!!
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:33 pm

villajk wrote:Change Veretout he is not up to speed for Gardner and get a striker in the next window and Grealish is Great

Can't agree with that, I think he did OK tonight, always looking for the ball, having a go too. Ayew did better tonight too. Very Happy
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by villajk Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:42 pm

we were playing a championship side . Veretout was slow and gave the ball away imo Ayew did play well but its blues how much did there team cost, lets hope we get the points Saturday, also enjoy tonight
villajk

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Richards was an absolute monster tonight - won header after header totally dominant.
Ayew did better than expected.
I worry about Veretout - looks slow in both terms of pace and his reading of the game. Came into the game a little at the end but looks to have a lot to learn at this level.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by mefromhere Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:53 pm

I thought Veretout, Ayew and obviously Richards were very good tonight. Clark looked incredibly solid second half too but stand out player clearly Grealish.

Start with the team that finished tonight and still have Sanchez, Adama and Gil to throw on off the bench if needed
mefromhere
mefromhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stratfordvilla Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:11 pm

Should have a new rule, no long balls if Grealish is on the pitch. He will be a genius. Really impressed with Ayew, thought Vertout was good when the defence stopped hoofing the ball.

Stratfordvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by UnclePanda Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:13 pm

Vertout was sound. I was never worried about Amavi either. Richards immense.

Lescott shouldnt start tho. Hes past it
UnclePanda
UnclePanda

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Very pleased with the win. Different animal on Saturday though. Is Benteke still injured by the way ?
NARLA24
NARLA24

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:30 pm

We were second best first half but hats off to Sherwood, his subs changed the game for us.

One thing learned from today, Clarke isn't a midfielder, looked far more comfortable at the back, I thought he was unlucky on Lescott's arrival to lose his place, he should start ahead of Lescott Saturday.

Grealish & Ayew made the difference, Veretout was better than I saw previously, but did give the ball away a little too much for my liking & Micah Richards was excellent once more.

Sherwood has bought himself a little patience after tonight, tough fixtures coming up though!

Gabby was pants once more, how many more chances id the guy gonna get ?
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:07 am

Veretout completely bossed the midfield. Nothing glamorous in his style, just did the hard yards which allowed Westwood to play. A superb performance.
Trotters
Trotters

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great white walnut Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:44 am

De Kuip wrote:3-1 Villa

Lets give it to the blouse - right up 'em - they don't like it up em.

Corporal Jones was a Villa fan - he was always on about fighting the Zulus ha ha.

(Actually Private Pike  - Ian Lavender - really was - that claret & blue scarf round his neck in Dad's army was Ian's real Villa scarf - fact!)

Anyway - message to trotters - don't worry about missing the game - there's always Cricfree if you want to pikey a stream Scarf Waving

Ian Lavender was head boy at my school. You'll sleep easier in your beds knowing that Scarf Waving
The Great white walnut
The Great white walnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:30 am

Villa_Dan wrote:coming down with flu so beer and jumping about the Holte didn't help)

Ahh yes, the dreaded Man Flu.

Women may sneer, but if Man Flu ever managed to 'leap across the gender divide', it would kill those poor meek women in their thousands.

Man Flu is our 'Cross to Bear' Dan, and you must carry that Cross with silent dignity.

Above all else, the risk of infecting the Weaker Sex must not be countenanced.

I would would recommend a long stay in bed with exclusive use of the remote control and large doses of Sky Sports.

Women should only be allowed to enter if they are bringing food, beer or tobacco products. The only exception to this rule should be women who are practiced in the art of 'Bed Bath Therapy'. Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 1815562058

We shall all raise a glass of the Dark Stuff, to your speedy recovery!
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by DomAVFC Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:19 am

Hahaha brilliant stuff, Villa Ranger! And yes, to your speedy recovery, Dan!

Was at the game tonight. Blues were marginally better in the first half (please don't stone me to death before I at least finish my sentence) but we were WAY better second half, a more clinical front line would have scored 3 or 4 of those chances in the second half, thought Kusczczak was pretty good for them in the second half. The atmosphere was incredible! I wish the Holte could be like that in EVERY league game we played, God knows the players could use that caliber of support!

Blimey! Even Robbie Savage thought we should've had a penalty, against Blues! I need to go back to my drawing board, my theories on the meaning, structure and workings of the universe have been wrong all along! Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Magnificent play from Jack Grealish, quick feet. It's a definite penalty for me." Source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/34086612

UTV! My first second city derby was a successful one! Scarf Waving  Scarf Waving
DomAVFC
DomAVFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:03 am

Team leaked and Rowett has a dig at Tim's tactics

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 _85695668_garyrowettandtimsherwood

Aston Villa team was leaked, says Birmingham boss Gary Rowett

Aston Villa's team was leaked to Birmingham City the day before their League Cup third-round encounter, Blues boss Gary Rowett has claimed.

"I actually knew their team yesterday funnily enough," said Rowett, who saw his side knocked out by Rudy Gestede's second goal of the season.

"That often happens - you often get a little tip-off. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're not."

Villa manager Tim Sherwood said he was unfazed by Rowett's "strange" claim.

"Of course it's not," Sherwood replied when asked if the leak was worrying.

"Did he tell you who it was? It's interesting why he even mentioned it. It's strange."

Gestede's goal with just over an hour gone clinched victory for the Premier League side, after second-tier Birmingham had dominated the first 45 minutes - leading to boos from sections of the home crowd at the break.

"I felt, in the first half, tactically we got the game spot on, got some runners into some great positions," said Rowett.

"I have heard Tim said he purposely let us do that in the first half so they could change tactics in the second half, but I'm not sure a tactic of getting booed at half-time would particularly be a good one."

Saturday's 1-0 derby defeat to West Brom had increased the pressure on this match but Sherwood insisted his side knew what they were doing in what appeared a lacklustre opening half.

"I think we deserved to win by a lot more," he said. "We showed a lot of bottle, even after a first half like that - even though it's how I wanted them to play.

"They took a lot of criticism out there but in the second half they were brave enough to get the ball."
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:17 am

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2015/09/22/villa-boss-thinks-class-told-against-blues/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Villa boss thinks class told against Blues

Delighted Villa boss Tim Sherwood insisted his side had shown their class as they took the bragging rights with a 1-0 win in the Capital One Cup Second City derby.

Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Page 2 Villa15

Sherwood insists he always intended to change tactics in the second-half and reckoned rivals Blues were unable to cope.

He said: "First-half, we were a bit direct then in the second were made changes and our midfield got on the ball. We were popping it around and they couldn’t handle it.

“The plan worked. We always like to play free-flowing football but we showed that we can mix it up to get a result. We showed our class.”

Match-winner Rudy Gestede praised Sherwood for the half-time changes.

Gestede said: "It was so important to get the win because it was a big derby. We changed things at half-time and tried to get the ball a bit more. We did that well and got the goal, so it was good management.”

The striker knew Villa could cope with the pressure despite losing back-to-back league matches against Midlands rivals Leicester City and West Brom.

He said: "The pressure was OK because it is normal. We just had to be focused.”

Blues boss Gary Rowett claimed his side had “more than matched” their Second City rivals for long periods.

He said: "We were undone by one moment of quality. Jack Grealish changed the game for them with some of the areas he was in, and the goal was a brilliant finish.”

Rowett rued a late chance for striker Jacques Maghoma that was kept out by Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan, adding: “If that had gone in it would have been interesting."

Bit stupid to say that Grealish changed the game but they were undone by just one moment of quality. We were totally dominant in that 2nd half. I've not seen the stats but I'd not be surprised if we had 70% of the possession. That's not one moment, that's 31 minutes!
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:34 am

Haha cheers Villa Ranger. I'm soldiering into work, can't let the other side realise I feel like someone has drop kicked me in the swede during the night. 

As for that Rowett claim the team was leaked - surely that makes him look shitter for losing then? He knew what team we were putting out but still couldn't score. Regardless of whether it was preplanned to make those changes at halftime, they worked. We've seen Tim out thought in recent weeks by willy older managers but last night against a good, up and coming young manager Tim was the one out thinking him. Great changes and management. 

If Tim can keep improving and learn from his fuck ups there's no reason to think our season can't still be relatively successful. We are far from in the mire when you consider Soton are 1 place and 2 points above us, that's all, and 6th is only 5 points away.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:53 am

I missed it all, I'm very happy to hear though that Veretout, Ayew and Grealish had a good game. Nice ball in from Amavi too, and a very nice header.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:46 am

On a darker note, I heard the Aston Social got smashed up during an organised meeting of Villa hoolies and zulus. Broken bodies all over the road apparently. (?)

I hope those people are proud of themselves this morning having proved who the biggest fuckwits in the city are.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:59 am

Villa_Dan wrote:Haha cheers Villa Ranger. I'm soldiering into work, can't let the other side realise I feel like someone has drop kicked me in the swede during the night. 

As for that Rowett claim the team was leaked - surely that makes him look shitter for losing then? He knew what team we were putting out but still couldn't score. Regardless of whether it was preplanned to make those changes at halftime, they worked. We've seen Tim out thought in recent weeks by willy older managers but last night against a good, up and coming young manager Tim was the one out thinking him. Great changes and management. 

If Tim can keep improving and learn from his fuck ups there's no reason to think our season can't still be relatively successful. We are far from in the mire when you consider Soton are 1 place and 2 points above us, that's all, and 6th is only 5 points away.

I'm sorry mate, but that's crap...with respect!

Sherwood got his team selection totally wrong first half....planned to change it?...bollox!

Yeah Blues may not have scored first half, but they were far better than us, and we could easily have been 0-3 down by half time. If that really was a 'plan', then we are truly fucked this season!

Please explain how Clark can be played in midfield with Sanchez left on the bench?

Maybe Tim's 'plan' was to leak the side and pretend we were gonna play 3-5-2....and his master stroke was to play an average centre back in midfield instead?...marvellous!!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:03 am

Trotters wrote:On a darker note, I heard the Aston Social got smashed up during an organised meeting of Villa hoolies and zulus. Broken bodies all over the road apparently. (?)

I hope those people are proud of themselves this morning having proved who the biggest fuckwits in the city are.

Didn't hear about that. I know a boozer got smashed up before the match and there were a few crowds getting rowdy in the city centre on the way back to snow hill to head home. 

I've always been of the opinion that if the hooligans want to organise a ruck and don't do it in such a way innocents end up in the middle of it then go ahead and tear lumps out of each other. Natural selection hopefully means a few didn't make it home.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next