The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The next Villa Manager

+48
WendyOz
worcesterkev
South London Villan
Dgrizzle7
achilles
Barabass
Boldfinger
villajk
thegaffer6
Gordonsleftboot
Peter
mefromhere
Con
big ming
Wookster
Army villain
CoE82
avfcjoe
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
jeffvilla
danclare82
gdav
Synopsis
shanghaivilla
VTID85
Saunders82
4BetLite
andrew24561
De Kuip
Villa Ranger
boltblaster
nickf21
Cha Ching
FoxyAV
Dions_Bald_Head
smetro
Dazzle
DelboyVilla
Terry Derry
The Utterer
deadbuzzardalive
Trotters
BillytheKid
Wriggle
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
NARLA24
52 posters

Page 3 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next

Go down

The next Villa Manager - Page 3 Empty Re: The next Villa Manager

Post by Villa_Dan Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Trotters wrote:Isn't the Alex Ferguson First Year thing a bit of a myth?

Massive one.

Took over in November with the team 21st and in freefall - got them up to 11th. Then finished 2nd in his first full season!
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

The next Villa Manager - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:45 pm

I do honestly think the sheer scale of rebuilding a whole new team takes time and more so than 7 games, thing i recall is Big Sam at Sunderland when he took over they were nailed on for relegation but he sorted there defence out slowly but surely and got them firing again saving them from certain relegation and yet that Sunderland side was used to each other not like ours newly assembled and only played a few games together learning each others game,

It takes time so i'm backing RDM for this season as i had a sneaky feeling we wouldn't bounce straight back up at the first attempt tbh i'm not saying we won;t and can't reach the play off's but the amount of change at our club this summer is massive but i do believe over the next month or so we will start doing better as a team, weather that will be enough to get us promoted playing catch up i dunno.

Plus one final thing that swayed me to give RDM more time was even of we bring a new manager in he will want things done his way and his own players bringing in so we will be starting over which i don't want as we have a good squad here imo if we don't back up this season we will next.
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

The next Villa Manager - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:03 pm

I've been thinking on this for the last couple of hours and I do wonder how much of this willingness to pull the trigger on RDM (I'm guilty of thinking it's a viable option) is purely down to the humiliation of having our great club in this shitty league and the horrifying thought of being stuck in it for ANOTHER season.

Christ, once the transfer window had closed and our squad finalised - the equivalent of finding cheat codes for this league - I convinced myself that we'll easily be automatically promoted. To the point that I'd even be pissed off at coming 2nd behind the faux Scotsmen!

For me, it's also about rarely being able to see us on TV - the coverage is biblically shit!

Thirdly, the clubs that are in the premier league are getting away financially and I wonder if Xia, despite his willingness to empty his pockets in this league, will be willing to fund a second rebuilding after the other Prem teams have a £200m cash injection that he's not had.

I really hate the thought of becoming another a Forest or Leeds. We need to get back in the top flight ASAP and seeing the manager piss about with what should be footballing basics has been most disappointing.

If we remain winless over the next 2-3 games, then all thoughts of a top 6 finish will be off the table....for me anyway. In fact, I'll be more concerned about a double relegation! But once I've made peace with the fact we'll be here for 2 seasons, then I'll deal with slow improvement rather than the "I want it now!" improvement I'd hoped for.
Trotters
Trotters

The next Villa Manager - Page 3 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:
Trotters wrote:Isn't the Alex Ferguson First Year thing a bit of a myth?

Massive one.

Took over in November with the team 21st and in freefall - got them up to 11th. Then finished 2nd in his first full season!

I thought the SAF argument was referring to his second or third season? After the runner up they finished 11th and iirc the only reason he wasn't sacked was a cup final.

Back to top Go down

Post by andrew24561 Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:21 pm

If we remain winless over the next 2-3 games, then all thoughts of a top 6 finish will be off the table....for me anyway. In fact, I'll be more concerned about a double relegation! But once I've made peace with the fact we'll be here for 2 seasons, then I'll deal with slow improvement rather than the "I want it now!" improvement I'd hoped for.

weren't Barnsley second from bottom at Christmas last season but went onto win the league 1 playoff final ? its still very early to write our chances off just yet. Keep the faith it will all turn out right in the end IMO
andrew24561
andrew24561

The next Villa Manager - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Yeah it is frightening the though of seeing us become another Leeds or Forest but i honestly don't think we will, i can see Xia splashing whatever it takes to add quality in January and next summer if need be to ensure we end up back where we belong,

The thing with Forest and Leeds they had no money no ambition and there owner's just pissed them about like Lerner did with us, we are lucky we have Xia he has massive plans for us and intertwining his business's with our club shows you he dead set on taking us back up.

The start we have had is not good but we have only lost 2 games one to a late flukey ricochet that landed to Wednesday's Forrestieri of all players and after leading at Bristol collapsing but we are hard to beat overall and unbeaten at Villa Park which is important as having a good home record is essential to build up from and then start knicking them wins away from home, it will come just dunno if it will be this season or next but we will get back to the Premier League and in a better state and ambition than we left it!
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:48 am

Too early for this bollocks, we're trying to rebuild one of the worst run clubs in history ffs.

I'd have us ahead of schedule if anything.

Its frustrating as fuck to not be winning these games that we have mostly dominated but come the fuck on please............. it takes time, if RDM doesn't get us clicking after a dozen games or so, then maybe he's not the man for the job..... but right now, he IS.
4BetLite
4BetLite

The next Villa Manager - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:12 am

4BetLite wrote:Too early for this bollocks, we're trying to rebuild one of the worst run clubs in history ffs.

I'd have us ahead of schedule if anything.

Its frustrating as fuck to not be winning these games that we have mostly dominated but come the fuck on please............. it takes time, if RDM doesn't get us clicking after a dozen games or so, then maybe he's not the man for the job..... but right now, he IS.

I totally agree, if you remember RDM was still trying for more imports but could'nt make em happen, it shows to me that he knew we still needed more, YES we all know it that at the moment we are taking teams apart in the first half without killing off the game then coming out in the second like a different team. We have to keep the faith and hope they are working on this once it is sorted then we will be off and hard to beat, I'm pretty sure that due to injuries and such we will be back in the market come January, lets be honest we havent had our best team on the pitch yet still some S**t from last year in it. The next Villa Manager - Page 3 1815562058 The next Villa Manager - Page 3 1815562058 The next Villa Manager - Page 3 1815562058 lol!
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:39 am

For me, way too early to be sharpening the axe. Rot and disease doesn't just go away, you have to treat it but you have to allow the treatment time to take effect. Has RDM really had enough time? Not for me. Fuck me, I would say he probably walked into one of the toughest jobs in English football for fucks sake and whilst there is still plenty frustrating about the current team I'm a lot fucking happier than I was 12months ago.

First season in the second tier for a freshly relegated Villa was never going to be a walk in the park.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Nah. I think the toughest job in English football was the Villa job over the last 5 years. Little money, clueless board, demotivated players doing nowt but collecting their wages.

As much as I didn't rate him, I think Remi Garde still cries himself to sleep at night. But it's also given me a strange respect for Lambert having not only dealt with the major fuckery above him but actually managed to WANT to go again when I think it might have been more pleasant and less stressful to tie 30 sausages and a bit of loudspeaker cable around his chest and walk through a US airport shouting Allahu Akbar.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:20 pm

I have a lot of respect for Lambert tbh. I know people that actually has ST's hated him, but I think he was fairly likeable and the fact that he kept us up season after season is neigh on miracle working.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:22 pm

4BetLite wrote:Too early for this bollocks, we're trying to rebuild one of the worst run clubs in history ffs.

Well said. I just hope we get a few back to back wins soon. I don't think we're that far off actually doing really well. Against Forest we had something like 25-30 attempts against Forests 3-4 and the result was 2-2. That's just really unfortunate, even if RDM is a bit naive in terms of tactics and subs.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Today on its own doesn't justify calls for his head. My take is that is was a mistake from the outset. Tony was understandably blinded by his European cup win. The fact is any skills used there are of no use conducting a major overhaul in the 2nd tier of English football. Yes I know he got albion promoted but even that was with a squad that he largley inherited.

Personally I don't view as a sacking. But really Tony should take a second look and say 'Yeah I got this one wrong' - get it over with quickly. Hanging about isn't going achieve anything - see Sherwood, Garde, and to a lesser extent Lambert. When the writting is on the wall - I don't see the sense in waiting another 5 games - the decision and answer will still be the same.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I have a lot of respect for Lambert tbh. I know people that actually has ST's hated him, but I think he was fairly likeable and the fact that he kept us up season after season is neigh on miracle working.

The best weve had since MON. A couple of times it looked really promising under him. But we could never push on. Lost his way in the end though.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:18 pm

VTID85 wrote:For me, way too early to be sharpening the axe. Rot and disease doesn't just go away, you have to treat it but you have to allow the treatment time to take effect. Has RDM really had enough time? Not for me. Fuck me, I would say he probably walked into one of the toughest jobs in English football for fucks sake and whilst there is still plenty frustrating about the current team I'm a lot fucking happier than I was 12months ago.

First season in the second tier for a freshly relegated Villa was never going to be a walk in the park.

How much time ?

Lets say another 10 games ?

What are you honestly expecting in those 10 games ? - because Id be pretty sure its more of what you seen in the last 7 days.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:23 pm

As long as we see game-on-game improvement, even if it's slight, then the manager should be given every chance.

But when we go from potentially exciting but lacking the killer instinct to being fucking boring and pointless then questions have to be asked.

First question: What the fuck???
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:26 pm

We have looked a totally different side with Tshibola on the pitch tbh. Shame he got injured.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:32 pm

Joppe84 wrote:We have looked a totally different side with Tshibola on the pitch tbh. Shame he got injured.

Have we ? hes hardly played ?

We shouldn't be relying on a 21 year old - with about 15 games in the division. He missed loads of last season through injury - so his absence can hardly be seen as a bolt from the blue. RDM had time and money to assemble his squad - I mean for FFS we are below Burton Albion in the league.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:52 pm

I wouldn't be disappointed if the club made a change.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Not a move I would make but I reckon we might go for Paul Heckingbottom of Barnsley.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by shanghaivilla Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:31 am

one established manager that is available and i am not saying we should fire RDM , is Roy Hodgson who did well at WBA and managed many good teams over the years
shanghaivilla
shanghaivilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:03 am

smetro wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:We have looked a totally different side with Tshibola on the pitch tbh. Shame he got injured.

Have we ? hes hardly played ?

I think we did. Whenever I've seen him he's had energy and gotten around on the pitch while having some ability to win the ball. That's attributes I can't say neither Gardner nor Westwood possess.

Smetro wrote:We shouldn't be relying on a 21 year old - with about 15 games in the division. He missed loads of last season through injury - so his absence can hardly be seen as a bolt from the blue. RDM had time and money to assemble his squad - I mean for FFS we are below Burton Albion in the league.

As for this, you're preaching to the choir. I was pretty much the only one on here going on and on about the importance of signing another CM in the transfer window. I even said it was arguably more important than signing a right back, and I believe that's proven to be right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Synopsis Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am

I just don't see them pulling the trigger this quickly, I think if we are within touching distance of the playoffs come xmas he will get the rest of the season too.
Synopsis
Synopsis

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 am

shanghaivilla wrote:one established manager that is available and i am not saying we should fire RDM , is Roy Hodgson who did well at WBA and managed many good teams over the years

NNNNnnnnnnoooooooooo!!!!!!!!
DelboyVilla

The next Villa Manager - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:07 pm

What kind of special brew are you serving at that bar of yours to come up with THAT idea, Shanghai?
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next