The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The next Villa Manager

+48
WendyOz
worcesterkev
South London Villan
Dgrizzle7
achilles
Barabass
Boldfinger
villajk
thegaffer6
Gordonsleftboot
Peter
mefromhere
Con
big ming
Wookster
Army villain
CoE82
avfcjoe
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
jeffvilla
danclare82
gdav
Synopsis
shanghaivilla
VTID85
Saunders82
4BetLite
andrew24561
De Kuip
Villa Ranger
boltblaster
nickf21
Cha Ching
FoxyAV
Dions_Bald_Head
smetro
Dazzle
DelboyVilla
Terry Derry
The Utterer
deadbuzzardalive
Trotters
BillytheKid
Wriggle
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
NARLA24
52 posters

Page 2 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 36  Next

Go down

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 Empty Re: The next Villa Manager

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:29 am

Xia's suspiciously quiet, I think this is the first time he hasn't tweeted with a reaction after a game.
deadbuzzardalive

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Xia's suspiciously quiet, I think this is the first time he hasn't tweeted with a reaction after a game.

Probably on his way over here from China.

This could be the worst doctors visit someone has had since Harold Shipman just "popped round" to see Doris...
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cha Ching Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:13 am

AstonThriller wrote:I was gonna start this thread tonight as I've done on other forums in the past and usually I'm been proven to be right. But tonight i'm still not sure. If we were losing it's a different matter but really we're doing the hard work of dominating and getting ahead but we're just unable to get across the finish line. The situation isn't irreversible. Roberto just needs a little luck to go his way that's all.

I was pleased with DiMatteo when he came and especially with Clarke as assistant. However, the past few games have me very worried. For sixty minutes, at home to Brentford, we sat back defending a one goal lead. It's playing russian roulette. If you give the opposition enough time on the ball, they will eventually find a way to punish you. It's not a once off either. We had the same against Huddersfield, Bristol City and Luton in the cup. Unless we change our style and mindset RADICALLY, we will continue to run out of luck late in games.

As to when or who should replace him.

I'll give him a few more games before I start calling for heads. If we do end up sacking him then, I'd like a manager who could get the most out of the attacking talent that we have. Bruce might be a disaster if he continues the current theme of playing Ayew and Kodjia as wing backs. I've never pictured him as a manager of teams with attacking flair. Maybe that's unfair.
Cha Ching
Cha Ching

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf21 Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:30 am

Wow - what are we, 7 games in and we have this forum now?

Maybe im old fashioned (or just old) but this topic sums up what is wrong with football at the moment. Instant results, must be the managers fault, lets change things.

We are three games away from the top of the table. We are playing (fairly) well and we have just come off the back of 5 years of confidence sapping, asset stripping mis-managed crap. The club is in the process of being rebuilt from top to bottom.
One of the issues over the last few years has been the amount of disruption at the club. Too many managerial changes and a lack of consistency.

RDM has just rebuilt his team, on his terms with strong leaders. I think we all agree that we now have a team capable of performing well. But it is going to take time.

There is no guarantee that a new manager will get those instant results. I firmly believe that in the long term, the RDM / SC combination is a winning team. They have experience and knowledge.

Lets judge them half way into the season - the time to change a manager is when they lose the respect of the players. I don't think we are in that situation. Yes, it may take an extra year to get that promotion - but given the last 5 years I can wait one more year.

Its gossip and discussion like this, that can easily undermine our team. Lets just get behind them, support the team (and I include RDM in that) and look forward to three points at the weekend.
nickf21

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:49 am

Yes we are 7 games in plus a pre-season and the team is a lot different to last year but making the exact same mistakes?

You say we are playing well nick and I would agree that we play well from 0-45 minutes? 45-90 is a real issue for us?

I think a lot of this discussion has stemmed from the assumed expectations of the Doctor, he doesn't seem like a patient man?

I doubt RDM or any of the players read this plus the seem to have no confidence anyway?
DelboyVilla

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:54 am

With our current form, by the time we get halfway into the season, we'll be contemplating life in League 1.

One win in seven (league) isn't good. Yes we've had a few draws as opposed to losses that we encountered last season but there's no sign that the manager knows what he's doing.

He doesn't seem to know his best XI, seems mysteriously locked in to playing every striker we have at the same time whilst chosing to try and defend a one goal lead.

I'd very much like to think that it'll come good but I can't see a win against Ipswich and can only see a proper arse-kicking from the Toon.

So how long do we wait until we acknowledge this is a problem?
Trotters
Trotters

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:57 am

Trotters wrote:With our current form, by the time we get halfway into the season, we'll be contemplating life in League 1.

One win in seven (league) isn't good. Yes we've had a few draws as opposed to losses that we encountered last season but there's no sign that the manager knows what he's doing.

He doesn't seem to know his best XI, seems mysteriously locked in to playing every striker we have at the same time whilst chosing to try and defend a one goal lead.

I'd very much like to think that it'll come good but I can't see a win against Ipswich and can only see a proper arse-kicking from the Toon.

I worry that Saturday RDM will replace Gards and Westy with Gabby and Kozak????? The next Villa Manager - Page 2 1327487109
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Trotters wrote:

I've already acknowledged the problem but I said he could have until the start of October so for my money he's got 3 games. But a loss to Ipswich followed by an absolute mauling by Newcastle will be it
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:
Trotters wrote:

I've already acknowledged the problem but I said he could have until the start of October so for my money he's got 3 games. But a loss to Ipswich followed by an absolute mauling by Newcastle will be it

Sensible and realistic Dan! We need a TonyTweet (Twony) to give us a clue to his thinking but he is keeping his powder dry this time?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by boltblaster Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:31 pm

The biggest problem we have is we have recruited poorly this summer, not from a player quality perspective but from a squad balance perspective. If you look at us last night when i saw the team sheet i thought we must be playing 4-2-4 as we had 4 recognised attackers in the squad. We actually seemed to play a mishmash of 4-2-4 when we had the ball and 4-4-2 when we didn't, the problem is that the wide men are not good at supporting the defence when we don't have the ball as they are essentially strikers. Jedniak and Westwood cannot be everywhere when they come out to danger they invariably leave a runner in the middle of the park.
Until Di-Matteo stops trying to shoe horn all his attackers onto the pitch at once we will always be at risk without the ball. Should we sack him - not yet but if we keep doing this yes.
boltblaster

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 4m4 minutes ago

Gutted throughout the whole day&night. 85-86-87-88th, improved or xxxx? I'd like listen to ur constructive suggestion!

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:52 pm

They're like puzzles aren't they - I wonder what xxxx will be?

I can't decide if I like the fact that he's asking for opinions or whether I'd rather hear that he's on the case.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:24 pm

I've tweeted that be can't be telling the manager how to manage. If this is a 2 year promotion schedule then RDM needs time. But if it's a 1 year plan then he has 3 games.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Mmmm strange one from Dr T?

I would assume that xxxx is a swear word most probably shit as it fits well?

Constructive suggestions? Is change the manager if he doesn't stop picking 4 strikers constructive? As Sunday and last night's game were carbon copies from a tactical error point of view does Steve Round have to point out to RDM his mistakes? Making the same mistakes over and over expecting a different result is a sign of madness isn't it?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Trotters wrote:I've tweeted that be can't be telling the manager how to manage. If this is a 2 year promotion schedule then RDM needs time. But if it's a 1 year plan then he has 3 games.

Agree with this. 2 year plan then it is fine, but Dr T needs to communicate that. If he is planning on promotion this season then he needs to be ready to pull the trigger.

My fear with a 2 year plan is the potential impact of FFP - if we don't go up next season, from what I read in that ESPN article, FFP will kick in and our spending this and next season will see us fall foul of it and be handed a transfer ban. That'd be a big gamble as it'd mean promotion next season or years in the wilderness IMO
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Cannot believe we have this thread after 7 games.

7 games ffs! And only 2 games after the transfer window closed!

The Mods should lock this thread now and delete it. The Noses will be having a field day! No wonder we get called 'fickle'!

I'm forever defending our fans about DOL's 'fickle' comment, but sometimes we really don't help ourselves.
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Villa Ranger wrote:Cannot believe we have this thread after 7 games.

7 games ffs! And only 2 games after the transfer window closed!

The Mods should lock this thread now and delete it. The Noses will be having a field day! No wonder we get called 'fickle'!

I'm forever defending our fans about DOL's 'fickle' comment, but sometimes we really don't help ourselves.

The thread could have a better title - we're just discussing RDM position & given Dr X's recent tweets seem to paint him as someone in a rush to succeed then it's a valid discussion. It's a manager speculation debate.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Noses can't read very quickly. They'll still be reading the first couple of lines from the first post.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Do we have the pieces to the promotion puzzle? Yes, I believe so. Credit to RDM there.

Are those pieces being put in the right place. Not so much, no. RDM to blame for that.

And that's the frustrating part. How is it he bought all the right players yet the plan he has for them seems so obviously wrong???

I read on twitter that Amavi popped up on the right wing at one stage. Not sure whether to believe that or not. Surely that can't be correct. If so....well, just what the fuck is going on there? Has RDM implemented some bizarre version of Total Football?
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Trotters wrote:Noses can't read very quickly. They'll still be reading the first couple of lines from the first post.

And does anyone on here care what the inbred neighbours think?? (Aprt from Alf T obviously)?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:09 pm

The scumbags are laughing enough as it is at our results
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf21 Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:20 pm

Maybe we are just waiting until the derby before we give someone a right hammering.

Think its was Trotters who mentioned the schedule - 2 years and we give RDM time to grow into the role. But if it is 1 year, then RDM will know exactly whats expected.
But if that's what Dr. Tony told him then its incredibly short sighted of him. He has to understand just what a shitstate we were in. (And I think his tweet about quality of squad that Lerner left shows he got a big wake up call)

I just fear that if a decision is made quickly we are no further forward. No guarantee in this league that with any manager we would get the results we need quickly. Especially with the recent history of the Villa. We aren't Newcastle who got relegated on the last day. We were bloody dismal. We were a League 1 side last year who just happened to be in the PL.
Yes, I appreciate the comments above where RDM has made mistakes but so will anyone.

I would love us to give a manager time (I know everyone always mentions Fergie and Wenger and how bad their starts were but it is true)

I think we need to know what the expectations are for this season. Honestly, for me its stability. Its flirt with the playoffs and rebuild the team. Then next year we storm it. Keep hold of the players, bring a few kids thru.
We will then be in a much better position than if we go back up this year and have to try and struggle to stay up.

nickf21

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Tell you what, whether he stays or goes, you wouldn't employ RDM as a dog walker would you cos he can't hold on to a lead......

Personally I'd deffo give him half a season I'm so sick of the managerial merry go round - we're not Leeds ffs. It will come good - of that I'm sure.
De Kuip
De Kuip

The next Villa Manager - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:52 am

We can't keep sacking and replacing managers thinking it will solve anything. It develops a culture where the players think they are above the law irrespective of their performances.

Continuity breeds success. Give him a couple of seasons.

We all knew this season would be a tough one. Every match we play is essentially a cup final for some shit team. Let RDM get it right and let the team grow into a unit. We've replaced a LOT of players two summers running. It's the worst thing that can happen to a club and it's very very hard to grind out results in the situation we're in. The only way forward is sticking by RDM and our current squad. Replacing anyone right now will just make it much harder to get promoted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Isn't the Alex Ferguson First Year thing a bit of a myth? By today's standards they were a bit shit but I'm sure in his first year they finished significantly higher than the previous one. He may have lost a couple of early games but his squad wasnt one that was the most expensively assembled in the league.

I'm not sure we're comparing apples with apples here.

And we can't keep replacing managers but what option do we have if he loses against Ipswich? (I'm guessing Newcastle is a nailed-on loss).

If he reverts to something akin to a recognisable formation and the team puts in a decent effort but just fails, then that's a start I suppose. But if he puts out a square-peg-round-hole XI and leaves massive gaping hopes for the opposition to just walk through and fails to react to fairly obvious problems then I really don't see what option Xia has other than to get rid.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 36  Next