The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Villa v Sunderland

+23
4BetLite
Trotters
DelboyVilla
avfc85
DomAVFC
VTID85
Thinman
Villa_Dan
VillaBill
De Kuip
big ming
mefromhere
FoxyAV
rosco77
KMitch
thegaffer6
Sky
Fpuppys
B62 Villa
avfc forever
NARLA24
Mazrim
WendyOz
27 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 Empty Re: Villa v Sunderland

Post by Trotters Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:41 am

Pretty spot on there, Delboy. Although I'd argue with your last sentence a little and make it 20 minutes instead of 10.

But 21 (??) shots as opposed to no shots on goal under Lambert is a stratospheric improvement. We just need to convert. If we do manage to get an experienced, decent striker then it's only a matter of time before we give someone a proper hiding.

In fact, add a striker and we're potentially a top 8 side, IMO.
Trotters
Trotters

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:47 am

Reading many comments about lack of quality upfront and inability to convert chances..........

All I'll say is if we score twice every game, we'll be top 8, if we concede 2 every game we'll be bottom 8.....

TS has checked out Hutton this week and he looks more comfortable then Bacuna to me......but good enough?

Expecting busy 2 days and definite CB in, maybe RB and desperately a GK please. I think we will only get striker if one goes out.

Guzans positioning for their free kick was awful, sets up wall as a bluff to open up top right corner and stands too far away to cover it, awful goalkeeping, 2nd goal a deflection, AGAIN!, so no chance........Clark let em in.

Echo joppe....... were 2 deflections and 2 errors away from 8 points...........the futures bright!
4BetLite
4BetLite

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 am

I appreciate the comments regarding Clark's defending for their equalizer, it was pathetic to be frank...but he has started the season quite poorly in comparison to his level before getting injured last season.....but have a look at Westwood's 'pass' into Gestede that gave them possession in the first place!
We were comfortable in midfield, and he played a shocking pass into the striker. I thought Westwood had a very poor game on Saturday....we got away with 3 or 4 of his sloppy balls in the first half, I personally thought he should have been taken off for Gil at half time. Sunderland were there for the taking, we didn't need two defensive minded midfielders on the pitch against such a crap side!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 am

Trotters wrote:Gestede is nowhere near premiership level. Yet. Quite why Sherwood didn't see this is, frankly, worrying. I sincerely hope the galaxy is being scoured for a solution to this problem.

I thought Gestede looked on his heels way too much first half, and is clearly finding his feet at this level. However, I thought 2nd half he was far better. His hold up play was good and he showed some nice touches and glimpses of good link up play with forward running midfielders.
I'm convinced Sherwood sent Ayew out to warm up....but in those 5 mins or so Gestede actually changed TS's mind.
I think we tried to play balls into him in the air, but Kaboul and O'Shea did a great job on him to be fair. I thought they defended him excellently...he was never allowed an inch in the box. He won't always be up against 2 CB's that handle him that well....but he needs to work on finding space around the box.

My only 2 gripes about the game were the initial team selection (I don't like watching Sanchez and Westwood together in home games)....in my opinion Gil should of started the game.
Then the failure to change it soon enough.

I agree there were many positives, but that is a game we should of won.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 am

ViewFromT2 wrote:but have a look at Westwood's 'pass' into Gestede that gave them possession in the first place!

My thoughts exactly. On the MOTD highlights you can clearly hear someone shout "Westy!". I'm assuming it was Gestede, but in any case he's clearly making himself available for the ball and has no defender close to him.

Westwood then takes an absolute age to play the pass, whilst never really looking like passing to anyone else. Completely telegraphed it. The defender has all the time in the world to get in tight behind Rudy whilst Westwood dithers, and then gets a foot in when the pass finally arrives.

When it pops out to Toivonen, Sanchez should just stand him up, but dives recklessly in to try and take the ball, and gets turned.

Okay, Clarke gets done by a bit of skill on the edge of the box and should get his body position right to start with, but I'd say Westwood and Sanchez are just as culpable as Clark in conceding this goal, if not more so.

I wouldn't attach any blame to Gestede at all.
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:48 pm

I Agree some huge positives to take from the game.

But to have 21 shots and to only score 2 is piss poor at any level.

Rudy was bullied throughout the game never really looked a threat, we only looked good going forward when we was playing around Rudy to be honest, from what I can recall he only held up play a few time all game not ready for this level yet.

Shancez – Gana – Richards – Gill – Sinclar played very well.

Still question marks over Guzan’s decision making even if one of them lead to a goal.Wasn’t westy’s best game by any means, is Bacuna his blue eyed boy at the moment can do no wrong??
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 am

ViewFromT2 wrote:I appreciate the comments regarding Clark's defending for their equalizer, it was pathetic to be frank...but he has started the season quite poorly in comparison to his level before getting injured last season.....but have a look at Westwood's 'pass' into Gestede that gave them possession in the first place!
We were comfortable in midfield, and he played a shocking pass into the striker. I thought Westwood had a very poor game on Saturday....we got away with 3 or 4 of his sloppy balls in the first half, I personally thought he should have been taken off for Gil at half time. Sunderland were there for the taking, we didn't need two defensive minded midfielders on the pitch against such a crap side!

Thing is you are always going to be able to say 'if player x had done this' or 'if player y hadn't done that' - IMO a lot of those mistakes could be eradicated if we had a system of play and all the players knew what they were supposed to be doing - Im not convinced we have that.
smetro
smetro

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:18 am

smetro wrote:
ViewFromT2 wrote:I appreciate the comments regarding Clark's defending for their equalizer, it was pathetic to be frank...but he has started the season quite poorly in comparison to his level before getting injured last season.....but have a look at Westwood's 'pass' into Gestede that gave them possession in the first place!

Thing is you are always going to be able to say 'if player x had done this'  or 'if player y hadn't done that' - IMO a lot of those mistakes could be eradicated if we had a system of play and all the players knew what they were supposed to be doing - Im not convinced we have that.

Agree mate, new personnel will help and the ill bet Lescott will help coaches/ players with that
4BetLite
4BetLite

Villa v Sunderland - Page 4 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4