The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ?

+102
Kaz
mrshnn
Wigteke
marcxc1983
omariqy
Zidane
pcfbavfcoman
supermon
GodzoneVilla
BournVilla
Villa1967
Saunders
Withes Sweatbands
Leafs1201
Southern Villan
DancinPete
Mikethevillan
Olof Mellberg
Longboy
Jimmycarr
Jae1411
DN1982
allseasmarine
viva_la_amo
philvilla
mini_ beest
Sky
tbarrules
switters
banneruk
roba19
jvilla
Synopsis
Trinity Kid
pooligan
DaveAV1
AVFClee
Saunders82
upthevilla76
ejs1111
Army villain
Malandro
StringGhost
jeffvilla
The Utterer
DelboyVilla
Heisenberg
Mr T
johnny noodles
Villarocks666
Paul mcgrath(GOD)
bazzah
James_Curtis
Steveallen79
danclare82
adamvilla51
Chrissylee1111
RoyRace
mickeywya
HarryAVFC
USVillan
StevieAVFC14
Trezzy
sligolion
Mazrim
edwarfa1
lukevilla
Billy Walker
Fpuppys
UnclePanda
gdav
heystally!
Tomy-Flemba
Dions_Bald_Head
De Kuip
Morgan Villa
ember
Alpe_DHuez
Jpmangel
Cathal Coughlan's Dog
davevilla
Green Villan
Denis_B
South London Villan
KMitch
smoke
My Old Man
Villa_Dan
Morpheus
CTVillan
Kakacroom
Coseley Villa
Keyser Soze
VillaBill
phil__
GadgetMan
kimbo
Trotters
villabromsgrove
LVBrit
TheLeftSide
B62 Villa
106 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 Empty Re: Takeover thread. What will happen now. ?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Steveallen79 wrote:For what it's worth, my take on some of the talk here today is that it was probably levied unfairly.  The team coordinating this platform network daily with a host of people and as such, an unwritten affinity is gained which causes like-minded people to share humour which sometimes may be (albeit unwittingly) disrespectful or offensive in some people's mind.  This however is no different than in any other context.

An example would be guys at a pub passing a light hearted comment about someone who used to drink there.  They cannot defend themselves but it doesn't mean the comment was meant to disparage the individual, merely to act as social cohesion within a group setting.

We do have to offset this with that a newcomer may not fully understand the humour or comments unless made privy to all the details however most would agree that we all do this in our every day lives so the mod team should not be criticised for also being part of this banter.

Mods - my final point is that I also think your humility to accept that you may have spoken out of turn at times is
Admirable and that humility and openness to change is the key reason why I enjoy reading this site daily, even though I am not the most vocal of contributors

And on that note I will shut up and stop boring you all :)

Much appreciated Steve - it can be a thankless task as tonight has shown Sad

Back to top Go down

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 Empty Re: Takeover thread. What will happen now. ?

Post by Steveallen79 Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Eastie wrote:
Steveallen79 wrote:For what it's worth, my take on some of the talk here today is that it was probably levied unfairly.  The team coordinating this platform network daily with a host of people and as such, an unwritten affinity is gained which causes like-minded people to share humour which sometimes may be (albeit unwittingly) disrespectful or offensive in some people's mind.  This however is no different than in any other context.

An example would be guys at a pub passing a light hearted comment about someone who used to drink there.  They cannot defend themselves but it doesn't mean the comment was meant to disparage the individual, merely to act as social cohesion within a group setting.

We do have to offset this with that a newcomer may not fully understand the humour or comments unless made privy to all the details however most would agree that we all do this in our every day lives so the mod team should not be criticised for also being part of this banter.

Mods - my final point is that I also think your humility to accept that you may have spoken out of turn at times is
Admirable and that humility and openness to change is the key reason why I enjoy reading this site daily, even though I am not the most vocal of contributors

Much appreciated Steve - it can be a thankless task as tonight has shown Sad

Don't be disheartened, the vast vast majority have appreciation....
Steveallen79
Steveallen79

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:18 pm

9am................................... Very Happy Might be a time to watch SSN. If there is to be a conference then it will be early. Could be an interesting week or maybe two.
Enjoy, it's been emotional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3Jh5qRDMo

Back to top Go down

Post by lukevilla Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:38 pm

PDC Lion wrote:9am................................... Very Happy Might be a time to watch SSN. If there is to be a conference then it will be early. Could be an interesting week or maybe two.

You little tease lol! You know anything? Scarf Waving
lukevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:57 pm

mickeywya wrote:How come some threads get locked when they are going no where, or for other unknown reasons, yet this one continues to be sued, even tho nothing is ever actually said that hasn't been said before?

What posts are locked? To my knowledge (and without looking) the only post I can say for absolute certain that was locked was the "Will Vlaar stay or will he go" thread (or whatever it was called). The window is shut, he stayed, nothing else to say.

The take-over threads auto-restart every 70 pages or something like it.

If you don't like this thread, and you're absolutely certain nothing new will be said then it's really easy not to look.

A very odd post, Mickey.
Trotters
Trotters

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:59 pm

StevieAVFC14 wrote:As I believe it was a well balanced response to both Eastie and PDC, interesting quote from another MOD "PS: I wrote this unaware of Eastie's excellent post, but I've posted it to show you that mods do sing from the same hymn sheet. Beer".  So there is no difference of opinion between you Guys.   If no one is able to advise how my well balanced (of course could still being under MOD review), please let me know.  UTV

Hahahahahahaha! If you could see the mod section then you wouldn't talk such balls. Believe me, we are most certainly not of the same opinion. However, with Ego and VB on board we have fresh ideas and a different outlook and everything is discussed with respect even when opinions are diametrically opposed. The fact that all the mods have said exactly the same thing about your posts isn't an indictment on them.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:07 am

Chrissylee1111 wrote:I am a huge fan of the site. I am also a member of a few villa forums, this is the best by a long shot. On most sites you get shot down in flames for any rumour, but all things are considered on here.

With regards to lambert, I am not a fan. He has a serious problems telling his players that their performance is not good enough. How many times have we had 30% pos and he thought that it was acceptable. I also have no idea what he says to them at half time, we always come out looking terrible, and don't get me stared on his subs.

He's the exact opposite of Ron Saunders, huh? <30% possession, hoofball, a loss and "The lads were brilliant and we go again". Tony Morley used to shred oppositions down his flank and yet in response to his expectation of playing the following Saturday, Ron would say "If selected".

As for his half-time talks, I suspect it's more an attempt at personal motivation whilst his opposite number is changing his tactics. Lambert's boys come out all pumped up to go again only to find that things have changed and receive no direction as to how to counter that.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks mate. Very kind words and an interesting view from another perspective. All appreciated very much indeed. Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 3769219917
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:26 am

kimbo wrote:I was going to post my full thoughts on the debate but it just turns into a rant about Colin Gale, and no matter how I try to put it, I only have vulgar things to say about him. Even the nicest version of what I wrote was basically full of bile. Let's just say I visited TBAR far less when he was posting, and sad as that is for one person to almost completely ruin my experience of this site - and frankly, I refused to engage with him even when I did post during his time here - the fact is that he is, shall we say, a unique character in that respect. That's about my 8th version of that and around 3000% nicer than any of the others so I shall leave that there!

All I will say otherwise is that I don't think it is always difficult to differentiate between trolling and debating, and whilst I don't agree with all the mods all the time (life would be boring if we all did that) they have certainly allowed people that have (at least in just my opinion) had no other motivation to come on here other than to troll, a lot longer lifespan than I would have if it was my site.

Edit - my last sentence was seemingly put together quite gibberishly - gibberishly isn't even a word, nor should it be - but I am going to leave it as it is just to confuse you cheers

lol! lol! lol!

We got a little flack for getting rid of Colin but we received far more gratitude. He even said himself though that he's been banned from everywhere because he was a grumpy old arsehole who wouldn't likely change his ways so it was only ever going to end badly. He just moved on to abusing people on twitter instead so the decision to get rid was the right one.

I guess some "mature" people just assume they have some right to an opinion without it being questioned. And being questioned doesn't mean you're being bullied. It just means that your opinion is probably shit. :)
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by USVillan Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:34 am

Morpheus wrote:Hi again mate. You make some excellent points and I enjoy reading your posts but just to clarify I don't think it is all Lambert's fault.

Lerner for me made the cutbacks at exactly the wrong time. I can understand why he did it with his managerial choices wasting millions on the wrong players but to not invest enough when we were in relegation trouble, to actually play Russian Roulette with our Premiership status was nothing short of negligence.

Lerner should also be culpable for his choice in managers. Could you have imagined for all his faults, Deadly bringing Mcleish in or employing someone who was clearly medically unfit to manage in the Premiership?

When Lerner purchased the club I do believe however that he was well intentioned but just didn't have the nous to run any football club and didn't employ the right back room staff to hold his hand while he got up to speed. He also gave O'Neill far too much control.

The chairman is still paying for those decisions in monitory terms while we as fans continue to suffer in frustration and indeed it could have been much, much worse.

No point in stating again why I think Lambert is also culpable but to have a partnership made in hell like that and still survive in the Premiership has been more down to luck with other teams than anything else.

Lambert has now something that most managers with his record in the Premiership have never had, a stay of execution, a second chance if you like and lets hope as you have alluded to that he will indeed learn by his mistakes?
All fair enough, Morph, and I do apologize for putting words in your mouth with regards to Lambert.
USVillan

Back to top Go down

Post by James_Curtis Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 am

Trotters wrote:
Chrissylee1111 wrote:I am a huge fan of the site. I am also a member of a few villa forums, this is the best by a long shot. On most sites you get shot down in flames for any rumour, but all things are considered on here.

With regards to lambert, I am not a fan. He has a serious problems telling his players that their performance is not good enough. How many times have we had 30% pos and he thought that it was acceptable. I also have no idea what he says to them at half time, we always come out looking terrible, and don't get me stared on his subs.

He's the exact opposite of Ron Saunders, huh? <30% possession, hoofball, a loss and "The lads were brilliant and we go again". Tony Morley used to shred oppositions down his flank and yet in response to his expectation of playing the following Saturday, Ron would say "If selected".

As for his half-time talks, I suspect it's more an attempt at personal motivation whilst his opposite number is changing his tactics. Lambert's boys come out all pumped up to go again only to find that things have changed and receive no direction as to how to counter that.

Personally I am not a Lambert 'fan' however I do think he has done a reasonable job (Hear me out). Basically with the squad we have had over the last couple of years the lower half of the table isn't too far off where we should be. I know people will say that Lambert has brought these players which is 100% true and he has spent money however because the wage bill has had to be cut it is unrepresentative. As a former scout for a premier league club I understand how these things work and I am sure there would have been numerous names on Lamberts list and I scouted a lot of players on the continent however my club at the time couldn't afford to pay the wages so it all comes down to you cant attract top players unless you are willing to pay big wages.

Additionally I think it is unfair to say that if it wasn't for lucky results against Man city etc we would have gone down because remember what Sunderland did at the end of the season. Indeed I would like him to be proactive and change a game but realistically with the players we have its not that easy. To make a run for the cup would be greatly appreciated by us all I think but this is a huge season for Lambert. He has his time to bed in, get his squad and yes he had made a good start to the season the next few games against the big boys will test us. Last season we counter attacked the better teams, if we play the same style this season with our seemingly better defence we may just nick a few points. Anyway Up the villa!
James_Curtis

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:39 am

adamvilla51 wrote:Time for another newbie to post. Ive also been following for some time. I dont understand some of the feedback today and question why someone will post for the first time just to have a pop at the MODs (although i admit im doing the same sort of thing!). Personally, I love reading the posts on here and how it is being run. TBAR is the best Villa forum by far, it has good debate, good insight and tries to minimise negative posters who are just on the wind up. You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up

Now lets hope for some exciting news tomorrow!! AND if we dont I still love hearing from credible posters about gossip/tip offs they have heard. We all want the same thing at the end of the day.

A warm welcome, Adam!

News tomorrow (today now!)? I can't see it - unless there's some official unveiling of Tom Fox but I've a feeling he'll be happy to just get on with it without the need for fanfare.

As for a takeover, if there is something in the wind, I can't see it happening for another few weeks. I did state my reasons but I've not had my morning coffee so can't remember what they were. Just goes to show that I talk a load of arse at times. :)

Welcome again. Great to have you.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:48 am

James_Curtis wrote:
Trotters wrote:

Personally I am not a Lambert 'fan' however I do think he has done a reasonable job (Hear me out). Basically with the squad we have had over the last couple of years the lower half of the table isn't too far off where we should be. I know people will say that Lambert has brought these players which is 100% true and he has spent money however because the wage bill has had to be cut it is unrepresentative. As a former scout for a premier league club I understand how these things work and I am sure there would have been numerous names on Lamberts list and I scouted a lot of players on the continent however my club at the time couldn't afford to pay the wages so it all comes down to you cant attract top players unless you are willing to pay big wages.

Additionally I think it is unfair to say that if it wasn't for lucky results against Man city etc we would have gone down because remember what Sunderland did at the end of the season. Indeed I would like him to be proactive and change a game but realistically with the players we have its not that easy. To make a run for the cup would be greatly appreciated by us all I think but this is a huge season for Lambert. He has his time to bed in, get his squad and yes he had made a good start to the season the next few games against the big boys will test us. Last season we counter attacked the better teams, if we play the same style this season with our seemingly better defence we may just nick a few points. Anyway Up the villa!

None of us really know what happens behind the scenes but, as I've said before, I do believe it's a case of making your mind up about a manager and then highlighting the points that back up your decision whilst ignoring/countering the points that disprove your case.

For me, I imagine that Lerner has told Lambert previously that he's implementing austerity measures and Lambert just blindly agreed - because that supports my stance on the man. It could well be that Lambert pointed out in a very heated manner the dangers of going down such extreme paths. But that doesn't support my argument so I'll just assume that he put his tail between his legs and walked sheepishly out of Lerner's office muttering "We go again". :)

I'll be very interested to hear more from you with your scouting hat on as, I'm certain, will others. It'd certainly give us a perspective we've not had before so feel free to give us your 2 cents. I was most intrigued/surprised when it came to light that Westwood's former manager called him in to say Villa were interested and the lad questioned if they'd got the wrong player. Only to be told the Villa had a 30+ page dossier on him. That's a glimpse of the scenes we just don't get to see much of.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:01 am

The My old Man Said website have done a survey of some 500 fans asking opinions on Lambert and the board. Makes for interesting reading.

I've popped it on the Lambert thread HERE
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:43 am

PDC Lion wrote:9am................................... Very Happy Might be a time to watch SSN. If there is to be a conference then it will be early. Could be an interesting week or maybe two.

Oh PDC, I am sure if you had done that earlier in the day, you'd have been met with a barrage of questions! Laughing
kimbo
kimbo

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by bazzah Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:08 am

kimbo wrote:

Oh PDC, I am sure if you had done that earlier in the day, you'd have been met with a barrage of questions! Laughing

Well it's certainly not the case that tomorrow never comes...

Big week this week 'eh PDC??!!?
bazzah

Back to top Go down

Post by bazzah Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:10 am

I see the ticker bar top of the page is welcoming TF too.

Welcome TF to the world's greatest football club!
bazzah

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 am

That last sentence makes me shudder - not the same TF :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:21 am

bazzah wrote:
kimbo wrote:

Well it's certainly not the case that tomorrow never comes...

Big week this week 'eh PDC??!!?
Has the potential to be big. Lets see if Fox comes out and says anything first, or will he hide away to avoid questions ?
Let's see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 am

USVillan wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Hi again mate. You make some excellent points and I enjoy reading your posts but just to clarify I don't think it is all Lambert's fault.

Lerner for me made the cutbacks at exactly the wrong time. I can understand why he did it with his managerial choices wasting millions on the wrong players but to not invest enough when we were in relegation trouble, to actually play Russian Roulette with our Premiership status was nothing short of negligence.

Lerner should also be culpable for his choice in managers. Could you have imagined for all his faults, Deadly bringing Mcleish in or employing someone who was clearly medically unfit to manage in the Premiership?

When Lerner purchased the club I do believe however that he was well intentioned but just didn't have the nous to run any football club and didn't employ the right back room staff to hold his hand while he got up to speed. He also gave O'Neill far too much control.

The chairman is still paying for those decisions in monitory terms while we as fans continue to suffer in frustration and indeed it could have been much, much worse.

No point in stating again why I think Lambert is also culpable but to have a partnership made in hell like that and still survive in the Premiership has been more down to luck with other teams than anything else.

Lambert has now something that most managers with his record in the Premiership have never had, a stay of execution, a second chance if you like and lets hope as you have alluded to that he will indeed learn by his mistakes?
All fair enough, Morph, and I do apologize for putting words in your mouth with regards to Lambert.
No probs at all mate. I probably do give the wrong impression at times but it's only because I concentrate my posting more on Lambert than Lerner. Both are at fault but both I feel have also been well intentioned in their policies and just maybe both have been too naive for the Premiership?

If it all goes tits up again by Christmas though then It will get very ugly for both if we don't have a new owner by then.
Morpheus
Morpheus

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:44 am

James_Curtis wrote:
Trotters wrote:

Excellent post and looking forward to you posting more, giving us an expert insight into what it takes to build a successful scouting network especially when lambert has now called for ours to be overhauled.
Morpheus
Morpheus

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 11 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:05 am

Morpheus wrote:
James_Curtis wrote:
Trotters wrote:

Excellent post and looking forward to you posting more, giving us an expert insight into what it takes to build a successful scouting network especially when lambert has now called for ours to be overhauled.
Great post. You can only overhaul the scouting system and go for bigger players if you have more cash available for wages. Lerner is not going to do that, so who is ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul mcgrath(GOD) Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:12 am

From reading your last few posts PDC.it sounds like your expecting some sort of announcement pretty soon?
Paul mcgrath(GOD)

Back to top Go down

Post by Villarocks666 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 am

Paul mcgrath(GOD) wrote:From reading your last few posts PDC.it sounds like your expecting some sort of announcement pretty soon?

All home now to the 15 degree sunshine in brum Sad
Will try to load those piccys of myself with the European cup later.
In regards to the quoted post I hope something happens this week as I'm starting to get fed up now.
Villarocks666
Villarocks666

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:25 am

You and me both. A new season and I feel there's little to look forward to other than more Lambertisms.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next