The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ?

+106
Dek of Villa
Chrissylee1111
Basher
Kaz
whiteensign
supermon
Southern Villan
DaveAV1
LukeWilliamsOBE
South London Villan
jd
gdav
Morgan Villa
Villa jimmy
bryanallcott1976
Olof Mellberg
marko63
tbarrules
Cathal Coughlan's Dog
danclare82
holtehero
Nix999
Jim
Spirit of Bosco Jankovic
The Utterer
StringGhost
mrshnn
Hornso
CoE82
gaffer85
ada86
Voice of reason
Saunders82
Leafs1201
VTID85
Heisenberg
tonyp
Morpheus
AVit
Trezzy
pcfbavfcoman
thinlizzy
Malandro
upthevilla76
smoke
Fpuppys
Macca68
roba19
Poseidon
Steveallen79
floyed
Withes Sweatbands
zxc
GodzoneVilla
B62 Villa
kirramp
De Kuip
heystally!
Wigteke
Wookster
Dions_Bald_Head
Jimmycarr
villashrew
Green Villan
Coseley Villa
ember
GhostDad
Andyh
Villarocks666
VillaBill
clarryblue
larvin86
villabromsgrove
Mr Beast
Kakacroom
GadgetMan
My Old Man
Keyser Soze
jeffvilla
DN1982
Denis_B
Villa_Dan
LVBrit
SouthernVilla
TheLeftSide
DR Peters
lukevilla
Rawlie
Alpe_DHuez
Trotters
kimbo
stewiek
pooligan
River
HarryAVFC
jamavfc1
Mazrim
Mortimer1982
Dgrizzle7
viva_la_amo
RoyRace
banneruk
R1chuk
jvilla
UnclePanda
bazzah
110 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Takeover thread. What will happen now. ?

Post by LVBrit Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 am

DN1982 wrote:
LVBrit wrote:Still doesn't explain why a 48m SQUAD can't beat Bradford, Millwall, Sheffield or Orient though.

It doesn't explain how a. £48m squad can beat L'Arse Chelsea Man City etc Mad results happen so bringing good or bad up to prove a point is really pointless. The squads not good enough and the overall performances aren't good enough. Hopefully either through a sale or Lerners change of policy that can be rectified this window.

I think you just restated my point, the argument was that Lambert had done well to keep us up with a squad costing 48m. I pointed out that he had done equally poorly losing to lower league opposition with said 48m squad.
LVBrit

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Takeover thread. What will happen now. ?

Post by jeffvilla Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 am

In terms of the tactics, yes it appears that the tactics lets us down. However in front of goal I am sick and tired shouting hit it. No one likes to take the chance and crack the ball toward the net. That is either the players confidence or what they are being told in the training ground. I would love to see another goal like Delph  did last year.  If we have 20 cracks at goal we might have one go in once in a while. Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 3769219917
Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 238524133
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DR Peters Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 am

Anyone concerned about us spending £8 on Tom Cleverley stop worrying according to SkySports Valencia have bid £8m too.
DR Peters

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 am

LVBrit wrote:
DN1982 wrote:
LVBrit wrote:Still doesn't explain why a 48m SQUAD can't beat Bradford, Millwall, Sheffield or Orient though.

It doesn't explain how a. £48m squad can beat L'Arse Chelsea Man City etc Mad results happen so bringing good or bad up to prove a point is really pointless. The squads not good enough and the overall performances aren't good enough. Hopefully either through a sale or Lerners change of policy that can be rectified this window.

I think you just restated my point, the argument was that Lambert had done well to keep us up with a squad costing 48m. I pointed out that he had done equally poorly losing to lower league opposition with said 48m squad.
Apart from the Bradford result the rest were probably just seen as a hinderence in our main goal which was premier league safety. I don't think the people who make decisions at Villa lost too much sleep at the cup exits. Once again the target is premier league survival and if that means only playing 40 games in a season then so be it. Long cup runs aren't going to effect the sale of this club but relegation will.
Keyser Soze

Back to top Go down

Post by My Old Man Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:01 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
LVBrit wrote:
DN1982 wrote:

Apart from the Bradford result the rest were probably just seen as a hinderence in our main goal which was premier league safety. I don't think the people who make decisions at Villa lost too much sleep at the cup exits. Once again the target is premier league survival and if that means only playing 40 games in a season then so be it. Long cup runs aren't going to effect the sale of this club but relegation will.

I think that's the cold sad fact.

Sometimes though, a cup run builds confidence and can be taken into the league. A good Cup run and a possible Wembley trip could actually make it easier for Lerner to sell us. The clubs whole history is about being a cup team.
My Old Man
My Old Man

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 am

Rawlie wrote:
Trotters wrote:As for Rawlie's post, a player like Kagawa isn't going to answer the phone to Paul Lambert. Players are about (a) money (b) winning things (c) improving their reputation. Villa offers none of the above.

To be fair, I did mention someone of his ilk, but I'd also argue that if a takeover was in effect then he'd be exactly the sort we'd be contacting.

We can contact all we like, hell even I could, doesn't mean they'll come though. Reality is right NOW were a year on year relegation fighting team, with a disinterested owner and a manager that is favourite to be sacked first and a restless fan base. All those things right now, don't equate to players of Kagawa's ilk. That may all change if a takeover is announced. Right now, even if a deal is in the pipeline, I'm not entirely convinced any incoming players will be aware of this. Who knows that may change over the next few days, as we get more desperate and the window deadline approaches, look at Man City a few years back. Just a hypothetical scenario mind..
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 am

TheLeftSide wrote:
Trotters wrote:I'm still not sure why people insist that we've not spent money.

Here's a breakdown of Lambert's spending (around £48m all up):

Takeover thread. What will happen now. ? - Page 3 Image38

Trotters - not so sure on some of those figures, but even so the bigger picture is missing. As pointed out there's the wages, this is a big factor in the quality of player. But for me what's missing here is the consideration if the players sold, and the bomb squad that's been in force until this summer.

Essentially what this means is he's spent 48m (?) on a squad, not team if 11 a SQUAD. That's £48m on 22 players (I've taken cuellar and Holman off the bought column). Working out to be £2.2m a player? If the fees are correct as we know Tekkers was a good couple of mil short of that £10m fee. In the English Premier league, a SQUAD costing £48m is absolutely peanuts, teams that come up to the prem generally spend half that in their 1st season and that's adding to the squad they had already which would be be decent enough in the 1st place to get promoted.

I really don't get how anyone can say he's been backed financially for the job in hand - I would accept it IF the 48m was supplementing a squad, but not a complete rebuild.

I'm not starting a lambert good or evil discussion, I just think it's fair to point this out.

He chose to rebuild a squad, he didn't have to , it was HIS choice, we had the bomb squad that HE chose not to use (confirmed by Faulkner and has been instructed to play them this year) he had Delph, Weimann, Gabby, add this to the bomb squad and he had a core there that he could of added too with 4/5 players, which is what he's doing this year. He's had cash, not massive amounts compared to some clubs, but enough, if used wisely, to keep us well clear of relegation. Look at the players he purchased and has now shipped out. All wasted cash. He could of saved money spent on Luna, Bennett, Tonev, Heleinus, Sylla, Bowery, KEA and easily of replaced most of those with players already in the squad. He's done a terrible job and being massively pig headed and stubborn in the process. What were doing this season, should have been done last summer, instead he bought the trash mentioned above. Lerner plays a massive part in all this, but he's by no means the only one to blame. For me lambert is just as bad as Eck, McNeil etc and one of the worst managers I've seen in my time, dreadful.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:37 am

viva_la_amo wrote:48M In 3 seasons to completely rebuild a squad?

See my last post, he didn't need to completely rebuild a squad, he CHOSE too, big big difference.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kakacroom Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:38 am

Is the hull game live on tv
Kakacroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpe_DHuez Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 am

Well it has come out that he himself did not create the "bomb squad" so do you really think it was his choice to dismantle and rebuild the squad? Especially with no money which was known the be current state of Villa wen he got the job. I think Lambert is stupid for taking the job in the first place ha
Alpe_DHuez
Alpe_DHuez

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 am

Kakacroom wrote:Is the hull game live on tv

Yes, I'm sure a quick google search could have told you that though Very Happy
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am

Alpe_DHuez wrote:Well it has come out that he himself did not create the "bomb squad" so do you really think it was his choice to dismantle and rebuild the squad? Especially with no money which was known the be current state of Villa wen he got the job. I think Lambert is stupid for taking the job in the first place ha

Come out by who? I can assure you the bomb squad was his idea and has been instructed to pick them this year.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kakacroom Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:42 am

Lads lambert didn't inherite players like say Roberto Martinez did and then just had to buy 2 or 3 players he had to build from scratch so 48 million is f all now I know tactically he's lacking but transfer wise I don't think he's done all that bad
Kakacroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Beast Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:45 am

Lambert is all over the transfer policy of 2012 - 2013. He was happy to tell all and sundry it was his idea when the press were backing it and he only started talking about experience and quality in the last week of last season!

If he can get Lerner to carry the can for it all then all his failings magically disappear and so he needs time with real money to spend before it can be proven what we already know: he's out of his depth. This rewriting of history and his part in it is more akin to North Korea.

Lambert/Lerner are two sides of the same coin. Both need to go very, very soon.
Mr Beast
Mr Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:47 am

TheEgo wrote:
TheLeftSide wrote:

Trotters - not so sure on some of those figures, but even so the bigger picture is missing. As pointed out there's the wages, this is a big factor in the quality of player. But for me what's missing here is the consideration if the players sold, and the bomb squad that's been in force until this summer.

Essentially what this means is he's spent 48m (?) on a squad, not team if 11 a SQUAD. That's £48m on 22 players (I've taken cuellar and Holman off the bought column). Working out to be £2.2m a player? If the fees are correct as we know Tekkers was a good couple of mil short of that £10m fee. In the English Premier league, a SQUAD costing £48m is absolutely peanuts, teams that come up to the prem generally spend half that in their 1st season and that's adding to the squad they had already which would be be decent enough in the 1st place to get promoted.

I really don't get how anyone can say he's been backed financially for the job in hand - I would accept it IF the 48m was supplementing a squad, but not a complete rebuild.

I'm not starting a lambert good or evil discussion, I just think it's fair to point this out.

He chose to rebuild a squad, he didn't have to , it was HIS choice, we had the bomb squad that HE chose not to use (confirmed by Faulkner and has been instructed to play them this year) he had Delph, Weimann, Gabby,  add this to the bomb squad and he had a core there that he could of added too with 4/5 players, which is what he's doing this year. He's had cash, not massive amounts compared to some clubs, but enough, if used wisely, to keep us well clear of relegation. Look at the players he purchased and has now shipped out. All wasted cash. He could of saved money spent on Luna, Bennett, Tonev, Heleinus, Sylla, Bowery, KEA and easily of replaced most of those with players already in the squad. He's done a terrible job and being massively pig headed and stubborn in the process. What were doing this season, should have been done last summer, instead he bought the trash mentioned above. Lerner plays a massive part in all this, but he's by no means the only one to blame. For me lambert is just as bad as Eck, McNeil etc and one of the worst managers I've seen in my time, dreadful.
I think youll find he had to rebuild as there were problems with senior players on high wages who were seen to be trouble makers. its not as if we were European contenders the season before he came. the bomb squad was not Lamberts idea hence Huttons attitude towards him(if anything it was Faulkners as now his gone theyre back). finally, and this is a big one he has managed to take us from the red into the black. the football on display has been mostly shocking but then he can argue that his been unlucky with injuries.
Keyser Soze

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 am

Mr Beast wrote:Lambert is all over the transfer policy of 2012 - 2013. He was happy to tell all and sundry it was his idea when the press were backing it and he only started talking about experience and quality in the last week of last season!

If he can get Lerner to carry the can for it all then all his failings magically disappear and so he needs time with real money to spend before it can be proven what we already know: he's out of his depth. This rewriting of history and his part in it is more akin to North Korea.

Lambert/Lerner are two sides of the same coin. Both need to go very, very soon.

In fairness to Lerner, it was he who ordered a rethink. Shows PL what a sell out he is. Happy to walk when there's another job lined up, so let's not think he's been all loyal here, he's here to get the pay off, he doesn't want to be here any more than we want him here, it's written all over his face and body language imo
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 am

The Bomb Squad can be looked at that Lambo had them available to him, but look at it from Lambo's position and he didn't and he did have to rebuild - the club were actively trying to ship these players out to get rid of their wages, for all Lambert knew he wouldn't have these players at his disposal so had to in effect replace them despite them not being gone. 2 years down the line and they're still here and suddenly Lambert is able to pick them as it's obvious we're not going to shift them out
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 am

TheEgo wrote:

I don't think it is Ego, I know we've got a daft 1.30 pm kick off but I don't think it's televised. Not on Sky or BT schedules.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 am

The Hull match was moved to Sunday because of their Europa League match, not for TV
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:56 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
TheEgo wrote:
TheLeftSide wrote:

He chose to rebuild a squad, he didn't have to , it was HIS choice, we had the bomb squad that HE chose not to use (confirmed by Faulkner and has been instructed to play them this year) he had Delph, Weimann, Gabby,  add this to the bomb squad and he had a core there that he could of added too with 4/5 players, which is what he's doing this year. He's had cash, not massive amounts compared to some clubs, but enough, if used wisely, to keep us well clear of relegation. Look at the players he purchased and has now shipped out. All wasted cash. He could of saved money spent on Luna, Bennett, Tonev, Heleinus, Sylla, Bowery, KEA and easily of replaced most of those with players already in the squad. He's done a terrible job and being massively pig headed and stubborn in the process. What were doing this season, should have been done last summer, instead he bought the trash mentioned above. Lerner plays a massive part in all this, but he's by no means the only one to blame. For me lambert is just as bad as Eck, McNeil etc and one of the worst managers I've seen in my time, dreadful.
I think youll find he had to rebuild as there were problems with senior players on high wages who were seen to be trouble makers. its not as if we were European contenders the season before he came. the bomb squad was not Lamberts idea hence Huttons attitude towards him(if anything it was Faulkners as now his gone theyre back). finally, and this is a big one he has managed to take us from the red into the black. the football on display has been mostly shocking but then he can argue that his been unlucky with injuries.

It was his idea, I've heard that out of Faulkners mouth, via a trusted 3rd party, he was happy to tell all and sundry it was his idea and to quote "We've tried the experienced route before, where did that get us" now what's he doing? oh yeah going down the experienced route. Also the problems with senior players? are these the same players he's now playing? minus Ireland? One of them was made first team coach and the end of last season. laughable incompetence. We're all entitled to our view and yours is as welcome as anybody's, however my own view is, I'm totally amazed anyone is still supporting him.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:57 am

villabromsgrove wrote:
TheEgo wrote:

I don't think it is Ego, I know we've got a daft 1.30 pm kick off but I don't think it's televised. Not on Sky or BT schedules.

Ah sorry, televised in my house, I forget, not everyone has a premier pass. Sorry for incorrect info
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:03 am

This is a great debate chaps, but we are going wildly off topic with this (me included) As it's quiet on the Takeover front, we can carry on, however as and when something is mentioned or speculated then with regards to the takeover, we'll need to move the chat to the right thread, fair enough?!

It's a tough one as we want to keep the discussion going, however we have to bear in mind those that come home from work and see 5/6 pages have been created and think there's news, only to find we're speaking about Lambert's transfer policy.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by larvin86 Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 am

Yay!! I've been away for a few days and I see that the Lambert bashers and backers are going over the same arguments for the 8000th time.

Football is always about opinions but can those who hate him just stop with the same boring points and just accept he is here until he quits or is let go. Should we not be getting excited about the fact we're starting to spend some money?

For weeks we've speculated that new owners may finance deals and Randy would not spend more than £10mil. Well we are about to spend £8 mill on Cleverly (who is much better than what we currently have and is about right in current market) on top of the £6 mil we have already spent.

Yes we went out the cup but we have 4 points and 2 decent performances on the board... lets try and stay positive please!
larvin86

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyRace Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 am

TheEgo wrote:

It's not live, moved because of Europa League
RoyRace
RoyRace

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLeftSide Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
TheEgo wrote:
TheLeftSide wrote:

Yes!! And the ego you say quite firmly he didn't have to rebuild, well that's not what all the fan base were saying all through mcleush's time is it. No the fans were calling most of the playing 11 a disgrace and not fit to wear the shirt - let's not forget what it was like the previous 2 seasons to lambert. I really feel that some people hate him so much that they can't help but put everything onto him.

Now my comment before was in response to the 48m apparently being a lot more to spend than many people realise. Like I also said I wasn't looking to start a lambert debate.
TheLeftSide
TheLeftSide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next