The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!!

+25
VTID85
villajk
Villa Ranger
bruka
Wookster
gaffer85
Army villain
Fpuppys
Villa_Dan
Saunders82
smetro
Boldfinger
Gordonsleftboot
The Utterer
achilles
avfc forever
De Kuip
Wriggle
Trotters
DelboyVilla
Dions_Bald_Head
FoxyAV
Dazzle
deadbuzzardalive
AstonThriller
29 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!!

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:48 pm

If we had a goal scoring striker to compliment the goals of Hourihane, Snodgrass and Adomah, we'd probably be comfortably in second place now. Hopefully we bring in a decent one in one loan, as it really could be the difference between staying in the championship and promotion.

Wednesday aren't in the promotion picture and he's not a regular in their team, so I'm wondering if we might try and do a loan deal for Rhodes with Agnew being his uncle.
deadbuzzardalive

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 4_star10

Back to top Go down

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!!

Post by achilles Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:10 pm

smetro wrote:
Wriggle wrote:
De Kuip wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:I really don't understand those saying we don't need to bring in a striker, all our forwards have about five league goals between them. If we'd have had an in form striker we'd probably be top two now. I don't agree with this idea that we have to sign a big center-forward either, last night showed that we can perform without one, what we need is a striker who will score us goals.

Well if we actually played to his strengths I'd like to think Hogan is that person. Plus I'm hoping RHM can do a job. I really like Davis for his team player approach, but let's be honest, the back of the net is like Kryptonite to him.

In fairness to Davies and Hogan, we hardly create shitloads of chances for them.

If we do get another striker in, then we need to address the amount of chances we create for our forwards otherwise we'll be having the same conversation.

I read some stats on another forum that says we are amongst the least effective in front of goal. I think our Strikers have 4 goals between them all season.  Admomah has 10 or 11 now on his own - Snodgrass I believe has 4. If Hogan starts finding the net or we get another striker in who does then 2nd place is very much doable IMO. I would definitely bring in a loan striker if we can.

Against Bristol City Adomah was putting in crosses and lo and behold Hogan scored and had an assist, it is not bloody rocket science, play to Hogan's strengths and he will score goals.
I think it helped by Hutton playing left back as he offers so much more attacking wise than Taylor.
Unfortunately Snodgrass isn't really going to provide crosses but Elmo can and will, so it is doable!
But agree we really need another loan striker, just in case.
achilles
achilles

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wookster Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 pm

achilles wrote:
smetro wrote:
Wriggle wrote:
De Kuip wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:I really don't understand those saying we don't need to bring in a striker, all our forwards have about five league goals between them. If we'd have had an in form striker we'd probably be top two now. I don't agree with this idea that we have to sign a big center-forward either, last night showed that we can perform without one, what we need is a striker who will score us goals.

Well if we actually played to his strengths I'd like to think Hogan is that person. Plus I'm hoping RHM can do a job. I really like Davis for his team player approach, but let's be honest, the back of the net is like Kryptonite to him.

In fairness to Davies and Hogan, we hardly create shitloads of chances for them.

If we do get another striker in, then we need to address the amount of chances we create for our forwards otherwise we'll be having the same conversation.

I read some stats on another forum that says we are amongst the least effective in front of goal. I think our Strikers have 4 goals between them all season.  Admomah has 10 or 11 now on his own - Snodgrass I believe has 4. If Hogan starts finding the net or we get another striker in who does then 2nd place is very much doable IMO. I would definitely bring in a loan striker if we can.

Against Bristol City Adomah was putting in crosses and lo and behold Hogan scored and had an assist, it is not bloody rocket science, play to Hogan's strengths and he will score goals.
I think it helped by Hutton playing left back as he offers so much more attacking wise than Taylor.
Unfortunately Snodgrass isn't really going to provide crosses but Elmo can and will, so it is doable!

Was the same earlier in the season when he scored in the League Cup, or whatever its called, he had quick ball from O'hare which he seemed to thrive on until we reverted to type the next game.
Wookster
Wookster

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 am

achilles wrote:
smetro wrote:
Wriggle wrote:
De Kuip wrote:

Most of his crosses were shit though to be fair. I like Adomah. Good player for this level, but he isn't a good crosser of the ball. Ironically I suspect Snodgrass is a good crosser of the ball, but we play him on the right for some reason, when he is utterly left footed. Our tactics are just incredibly stupid on so many levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:42 am

Out of interest, and bearing in mind they aren't much cop in the Championship, for how long are Elmo and Whelan contracted to us?

And, for that matter, Richards? I think Gabby is off the books at the end of this season, which I suppose is a start.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Richards signed a 4 year deal June 2015.

Elmo signed a 3 year deal July 2017.

Whelan signed a 2 year deal July 2017.

Jedinak 3 year deal Auguat 2016.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:If we had a goal scoring striker to compliment the goals of Hourihane, Snodgrass and Adomah, we'd probably be comfortably in second place now. Hopefully we bring in a decent one in one loan, as it really could be the difference between staying in the championship and promotion.

Wednesday aren't in the promotion picture and he's not a regular in their team, so I'm wondering if we might try and do a loan deal for Rhodes with Agnew being his uncle.

LOL you know good and well that they would never do us a favor pal Laughing . I think any striker we get will either be someone from Leicester, or someone abroad. Afobe would have been good but then Defoe got injured so probably a nonstarter.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Fuck me rigid.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm not sure Rhodes would be a good signing anyway, it just came to mind because of the Agnew connection.

Someone on Villatalk a month or so back claimed to have some information that we were getting Charlie Austin in on loan, since then I think he's been getting more game time, and has been scoring goals, so that one looks unlikely.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm

FoxyAV wrote:Fuck me rigid.

Is that in relation to a particular post mate or a general request?
De Kuip
De Kuip

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:41 pm

De Kuip wrote:

I think it's being a Villa supporter in general.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:57 pm

So Lewis Grabban has gone back to Bournemouth today as his loan was only until January (smh Sunderland are an absolute mess) so it looks like we might have a chance to get him. Now the talk is about loaning him. We might be able to do that if we give them a fee, or would Bournemouth accept 2m for a full transfer? Not sure. I think Grabban would be ideal tbh because he's experienced, can finish well, has decent pace and never stops running. What he's done at Sunderland has been remarkable tbh.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 pm

If Bournemouth want a fee we probably can't afford him, a loan with a view to a permanent deal would be tricky as well, as I'm guessing we could only sign him at the end of the loan if we actually got promoted, in which case we'd might want better anyway.

I'm surprised FFP is affecting us as much as it is, we're only in the second year of our parachute payments and whilst we spent a lot, we also recouped quite a bit of money.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm

FoxyAV wrote:
De Kuip wrote:

I think it's being a Villa supporter in general.
Yeah I can identify with that
De Kuip
De Kuip

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:17 pm

why are we the only team that gives a shite about FFP.
If the prem is the golden land and we have the money lets buy the league and get promoted like man city, Chelsea even wolves etc
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Boldfinger wrote:why are we the only team that gives a shite about FFP.
If the prem is the golden land and we have the money lets buy the league and get promoted like man city, Chelsea even wolves etc

It could easily just be a smokescreen but we have been told it so often now we believe it to be true!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:54 pm

I must say I am starting to wonder about the whole FFP thing, I bet if the Man City owners or Roman Abramovich owned a club in this division that was in our position they'd find a way around it, but then again they probably wouldn't be employing Steve Bruce at this point either. Wolves owners are finding a way to spend money, despite not having parachute payments.

All that said, I wouldn't blame Xia for holding money back anyway, given the amount that's been wasted since he came here, it's not as if he hasn't backed Bruce and Di Matteo.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Read that Nick Powell is willing to "snub" us if Wigans takeover goes through. If thats true then he's no loss. Small club, small ambition.
bruka

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW THREAD!! - Page 4 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:00 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I must say I am starting to wonder about the whole FFP thing, I bet if the Man City owners or Roman Abramovich owned a club in this division that was in our position they'd find a way around it, but then again they probably wouldn't be employing Steve Bruce at this point either. Wolves owners are finding a way to spend money, despite not having parachute payments..

Wolves haven't spent anything like what we've spent in the last 3 years (which is the period that counts).
Wolves are just exploiting a loophole in the rules which some people are in favour of, and others think is cheating. Either way it's working for them.

And also, they seem to have a very good manager.

I don't agree with you when you say that other teams would get around the rules. There's no getting around the rules and no club, to my knowledge, has managed to do this.

If you'd care to give an example, where you think a team has been treated favourably with respect to FFP, and you can back it up with facts and figures, then please do.
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 am

We give a shite about it because we'll be hit with a transfer embargo if fall foul of it, and we've been chucking money round like it's confetti. Now we've learnt that it doesn't work anyway.

I'm pretty sure we're not the only team that gives a shite about FFP, but our losses in Lerner's penultimate season were huge.

This then limits our spending power in a league where you are not allowed to spend anything like what you are allowed in the Prem.

We ignored this and spent massively (McKormack 12M, Kodjia 11M, Hogan 12M etc).

I don't really understand your comment about 'buying the league' tbh. The FA and EFL are now aligned on FFP.

If you get promoted whilst ignoring the rules the EFL will hit you with a massive fine, and the FA (Prem League) will enforce it.
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 am

achilles wrote:

It could easily just be a smokescreen but we have been told it so often now we believe it to be true!

It's no smokescreen.

We need to get promoted this season, or we're in the brown stuff.

And we can't just buy our way out, cos we're not allowed.
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 am

I don't want Bruce to have any money to spend on players other than on loans. If we ignore players bought last January (who I'm not convinced were Bruce signings) we've bought Elmo and Whelan, both superfluous. Bruce is only going to get us promoted by chance.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:22 am

Villa Ranger wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:I must say I am starting to wonder about the whole FFP thing, I bet if the Man City owners or Roman Abramovich owned a club in this division that was in our position they'd find a way around it, but then again they probably wouldn't be employing Steve Bruce at this point either. Wolves owners are finding a way to spend money, despite not having parachute payments..

Wolves haven't spent anything like what we've spent in the last 3 years (which is the period that counts).
Wolves are just exploiting a loophole in the rules which some people are in favour of, and others think is cheating. Either way it's working for them.

And also, they seem to have a very good manager.

I don't agree with you when you say that other teams would get around the rules. There's no getting around the rules and no club, to my knowledge, has managed to do this.

If you'd care to give an example, where you think a team has been treated favourably with respect to FFP, and you can back it up with facts and figures, then please do.

You say you don't agree me when I say other teams would get around the rules, straight after saying yourself that Wolves are exploiting a loophole, Paris Saint Germain have done similar with the signing of Neymar, and I didn't say that any club has been treated favourably with respect to FFP, so no I don't care to go over club's accounts (not that I'd have a clue what I was looking at) to try and prove a point I didn't make to begin with, although most would argue it's been designed to favour clubs already established in the first place.

Both Bruce and Wyness hinted during the summer that there were moves behind the scenes to try and either get rid of it, or at least to get the rules relaxed, and there's been talk recently that PSG are purposely pushing it to it's limits, so they can take UEFA to court if they try and hit them with any kind of sanction.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 am

Villa Ranger wrote:

We give a shite about it because we'll be hit with a transfer embargo if fall foul of it, and we've been chucking money round like it's confetti. Now we've learnt that it doesn't work anyway.

I'm pretty sure we're not the only team that gives a shite about FFP, but our losses in Lerner's penultimate season were huge.

This then limits our spending power in a league where you are not allowed to spend anything like what you are allowed in the Prem.

We ignored this and spent massively (McKormack 12M, Kodjia 11M, Hogan 12M etc).

I don't really understand your comment about 'buying the league' tbh. The FA and EFL are now aligned on FFP.

If you get promoted whilst ignoring the rules the EFL will hit you with a massive fine, and the FA (Prem League) will enforce it.

True in 2016 Bournemouth were fined 7.6m for breaching EFL FFP rules during their title winning promotion year. Was it worth it? Yes probably in the long term as Prem league is that lucrative. However I cannot blame Tony for not wanting to give the Potato Head any funds!
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm

I don't have the figures to prove anything but yes we have splashed money around like confetti over the last few years BUT correct me if my memory is wrong but haven't we also moved on some of these players for a least what we brought them for and in some cases more, and we have had parachute payments & we have been taken over in the last 3 years too, so how are we this close to the FFP line?? Wolves have been spending 15-20 million on at least 6 players who have made all the difference to their team, and they have none of the benefits I've stated, makes you think.
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next