The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A)

+32
worcesterkev
Wriggle
WendyOz
Dions_Bald_Head
danclare82
DaveAV1
villajk
thegaffer6
Cha Ching
Wookster
gdav
Sky
FoxyAV
CoE82
VTID85
Boldfinger
Con
smetro
AstonThriller
KMitch
VillaBill
Saunders82
DomAVFC
Leafs1201
NARLA24
BillytheKid
avfc forever
The Utterer
De Kuip
Villa_Dan
avfcjay
Trotters
36 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Your predictions please...

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap12%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap18%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 6 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap38%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 38% 
[ 13 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap6%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap15%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 15% 
[ 5 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap11%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 34

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 Empty Re: Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A)

Post by Cha Ching Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:37 pm

We are not getting promoted until we get a right back. Hutton let Forestieri run past him for the goal but they had so much space on our right hand side all through the match.
Westwood and Gardner are too lightweight as a pairing also. How Gestede scored goals in this division is a mystery that Jessica Flethwr couldn't solve.
Baker and Elphick look slow too.

Other than that we were great.
Cha Ching
Cha Ching

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 Empty Re: Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A)

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Wookster wrote:Why do we insist on playing square balls from CB to CB and forcing errors on the keeper!! It was our downfall last year and it will be this unless RDM bans the twats from passing to the keeper.

Agreed. Fucking stupidity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:Sheffield Wednesday are one of the best teams in this league and in the 2nd half we took it to them and a sharper McCormack would've scored

Wednesday have Barry Bannan in midfield. Enough said! Very Happy
Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Today we was much better second half but i know Gollini sliced that kick but our midfield and full backs need replacing we really lack that midfield that will dominate teams home or away imo, we was robbed though they fluked that fookin chance and goal usual thing our own mistakes cost us the ball wouldn't land properly for us all afternoon, but players are on there way keep the faith lads they got lucky!
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:41 pm

BillytheKid wrote:Today we was much better second half but i know Gollini sliced that kick but our midfield and full backs need replacing we really lack that midfield that will dominate teams home or away imo, we was robbed though they fluked that fookin chance and goal usual thing our own mistakes cost us the ball wouldn't land properly for us all afternoon, but players are on there way keep the faith lads they got lucky!

Their goal illustrated that the team still doesn't understand basic defending. The same shit I saw last year.

When you have a CB line with zero cover and the CB enters a duel, you must either pull your second CB or RB into cover. It's literally 101 defending in Norway. I do not understand why AVFC are so fucking shit at this. Who the fuck teaches defending at BMH? I could do it better. Jesus wept.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cha Ching Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:43 pm

The reason we play it back to the keeper is because we have no options to pass forward because our midfield hide. We are a poor poor side.
Cha Ching
Cha Ching

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Cha Ching wrote:The reason we play it back to the keeper is because we have no options to pass forward because our midfield hide. We are a poor poor side.

Disagree - A keeper has to be able to cope with his own players passing the ball back to him. He might go on to be a good keeper, but IMO he isn't ready to be first choice yet.
smetro
smetro

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Cha Ching Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:48 pm

I can't see how my post contradicts that. We have no outlet to play the ball forward. Guzan was monumentally shit with the ball at his feet but we kept playing it back to him anyway because we had no other option.
Cha Ching
Cha Ching

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Disappointing, we deserved a point at least. This was always going to be a tough opener; the whole world is down on Villa and wanting to see them do poorly - considerably moreso than Newcastle or Norwich. One of the top teams from last year's Championship vs the worst team from last years Premiership, - it had "welcome to the Championship" written all over it, scrawled by Wednesday in a non-too classy fashion, underlined by everybody else.

For me, this is far from doom and gloom. Gollini I thought was generally ok other than when he went rogue running off his line and the slice that really went a good way to gifting them their goal. I was happier watching with him between the sticks than Guzan and strongly believe we'd've been hammered with Brad in the team.

Defending is shaky, Elphick looking good at the back and Baker looked better than he used to but Hutton and Cissokho need shipping out yesterday, Hutton looking like he'd never played football before and Cissokho looking like he thought he was still on holiday. Very poor and needs addressing pronto.

Midfield was lackluster, although he's still way off it Bacuna looked more like he gave a shit than he did last season but doesn't have the skills to back it up. I like the idea of someone lingering on the edge of the box to hoover up the corners but Westwood couldn't hit cow's backside with a banjo, not to mention he was barely existent for the rest of the game. Gardner.... sorry villajk/Gary's mum, he should've been one of the strongest candidates for a good game but he really isn't good enough. Tshibola looked green as owt when he came on, one to nurture sure but more strength needed in the middle of the team as we go into the season.

Ayew is mostly a class act, needs to knuckle down on his finishing a bit but I expect he will be carving through most teams this season and today went a long way to proving why keeping him will be a challenge. McCormack looked good, only had a couple of days to prepare so thought he put in a good performance, thought he was nailed on to score when he got that through run. Didn't really want to see him come off and thought it an odd choice to replace with Grealish. Gestede made barely an impact as a striking force but picks out little knock-downs that others don't necessarily see.

The sooner we can get past the sense of expectation or entitlement in this league the better, from the team's perspective but probably moreso the fans. An easy ride this will not be and there is clearly a lot of work still required.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:02 pm

Ayew needs to be schooled in defending if we are to keep playing him wide. I lost count on how many times a SF player ran in behind his back into our box. Not good enough

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Just the same old f#cking story. We soak up pressure, then finally get into the game and dominate, create several openings and miss them, then we make a mistake and lose...WHAT'S CHANGED?

RDM wants us to play out from the back but I have to wonder if those are the right tactics with these players? Remember against Boro it was the same silly mistakes that cost us goals and against Nantes the same mistakes happened but we weren't punished.

Xia claims we have bids in for five players so we'll see what the team looks like next week.

Gollini= apart from that vital mistake he was impressive

Hutton= got up and down but imo we need someone better in this position

Cissokho= Done ok but can't wait for Amavi to get back in

Elphick= Was very good overall and a born leader

Baker= Done alright I guess but I still hope we get better quality next to Elphick

Gardner= Not in the game tbh

Westwood= Wasted good chances and done what he always does which is pass is sideways

Bacuna= To his credit he wasn't invisible like Gardner but the bottom line is he hasn't got that much quality in the final third...we need better

Ayew= Was the class act on the pitch...was a little selfish though and missed a good chance early in the second half

Gestede= Had a decent header that the keeper saved and set-up Mccormacks chances but he's just not involved enough imo and I hope we get a better striker

Mccormack= You can see he has quality. Reminds me a little of Robbie Keane. That chance he had would probably been taken in a few weeks time when he's fitter

Tish= Added energy to our midfield and he needs to be starting soon

Grealish= Done ok

I also have to say the ref was absolute garbage. How Hutchinson stayed on the pitch is beyond me and those poor decisions proved to be fatal in the end.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Joppe84 wrote:Ayew needs to be schooled in defending if we are to keep playing him wide. I lost count on how many times a SF player ran in behind his back into our box. Not good enough

True, though Cissokho I think was the absolute worst culprit of this and it's his fucking position! I'd like to know what was going on in his daydream as it kept him occupied for most of the 90minutes.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by thegaffer6 Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:23 pm

I think we all knew it was going to be a baptism of fire today. Not shocked with a narrow defeat, but we don't have long to wait to put it right. A handsome win at Luton will go a long way to sorting this lot out.
thegaffer6
thegaffer6

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Absolute dogshite first half, but second half we really didn't deserve to lose, one of the top championship teams away & they barely had a sniff, I think we will be ok, although Gardener & Westwood were anonymous for the most part.
Still work in progress, I hope to god we can get Jedinak
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:32 pm

My thoughts are similar to those saying full backs are dire and midfield lightweight. There's no way on God's earth Hutton or cissoko should be playing. I never thought I'd write these words but I'd rather have Bennett at fb than those clowns. I thought Elphick and Baker did OK and Gollini is probably good enough for this league. I do think we were hamstrung by the team selection I would have started with Grealish and Tish I don't care how green he is I fucking hate Bacuna with a passion. No good playing Gestede until we can put at least a dozen crosses a game into him and the above shows why that's not gonna happen until we change wide mid and fb's.
I think we were decent in the second half once we realised  weren't going to get battered but needed that belief from minute 1.
I don't think SW were bad I think that's the top ten standard in this league so that's encouraging. We will win games and pick up plenty of points and must surely sign more players,  so I'm still optimistic even though there was the same sucker punch familiar end today.
I do think the coaching needs sorting as Joppe said we aren't defending centrally properly and give too much space to attackers. But those full backs,  fuck me gently,  they are pure shite and unless we change them we've just given every other manager in the league their game plan for the rest of the season.
Onwards and upwards - we will get there,  of that in sure.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Joppe84 wrote:
BillytheKid wrote:Today we was much better second half but i know Gollini sliced that kick but our midfield and full backs need replacing we really lack that midfield that will dominate teams home or away imo, we was robbed though they fluked that fookin chance and goal usual thing our own mistakes cost us the ball wouldn't land properly for us all afternoon, but players are on there way keep the faith lads they got lucky!

Their goal illustrated that the team still doesn't understand basic defending. The same shit I saw last year.

When you have a CB line with zero cover and the CB enters a duel, you must either pull your second CB or RB into cover. It's literally 101 defending in Norway. I do not understand why AVFC are so fucking shit at this. Who the fuck teaches defending at BMH? I could do it better. Jesus wept.

I agree the defending that led to the goal was dreadful and maybe highlights to RDM not just midfield but defence needs really sorting although we have put a bid in for McNair from Manure so he already probably knew this, the whole team has not been changed and its impossible for RDM to solve every problem and sell every shit player and replace them in the matter of just under 6 week,

We need additions RDM and Xia know this and today may make his mind up about a few that was probably safe for a starting place,

Would love to see a RB CB experianced GK, CAM and Jedinak think this would do us for promotion tbh

Still time to get the needed player but let's remember we played Wednesday off the park second half so its not all gloom imo
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:33 pm

Well said DK.

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Agree Hutton should be nowhere near a Villa jersey but Cissokho is just keeping Amavi's place warm really plus we have Bennet so no LB needed imo, RB though Hutton is not good enough needs to go back to the SPL there he will look half decent but a RB needed and crucial.
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Meant to say - off topic I know but it's brilliant to see so many posters on the forum atm all having a view.  Good stuff and of course i'm assuming everyone's going to have a bash at the "Guess the crowd" comp for the Rotherham game Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 3769219917
De Kuip
De Kuip

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:12 pm

God this result has depressed me no end. I really thought we had turned a corner. I knew we likely would lose, as it takes some time to settle a team and we currently have a lot of individuals. BUT the manner in which we conceded was so typical of all the shite I've seen the last years. Really don't know if I have any more heart for this shit. Think I might just give everything Villa related a break until we have replaced, Gardner, Westwood, Cissokho, Gestede and Bacuna. Things just never fucking change with this club.

Back to top Go down

Post by villajk Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:34 pm

GG was poor today ,Ayew was poor as well very greedy player, but all the midfield was poor.. westwood/bacuna been there 5 yrs ,,,5 yrs of CRAP
villajk

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:42 pm

De Kuip wrote:Meant to say - off topic I know but it's brilliant to see so many posters on the forum atm all having a view.  Good stuff and of course i'm assuming everyone's going to have a bash at the "Guess the crowd" comp for the Rotherham game Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 6 3769219917

Was wondering if for future matches the match thread should be locked and a "post match" thread created? Something to think about moving forward so people won't have to go through the match posts to get to the post match reaction.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Joppe84 wrote:God this result has depressed me no end. I really thought we had turned a corner. I knew we likely would lose, as it takes some time to settle a team and we currently have a lot of individuals. BUT the manner in which we conceded was so typical of all the shite I've seen the last years. Really don't know if I have any more heart for this shit. Think I might just give everything Villa related a break until we have replaced, Gardner, Westwood, Cissokho, Gestede and Bacuna. Things just never fucking change with this club.

I'm extremely pissed off myself. Feels like a slap in the face and huge reality check after hope had returned to my mind during the summer. The worry is we saw this time and time again last season...last minute mistake (Amavi vs Palace), dominate large portions of the game but still lose (Leicester away). Just f#cking fed up of it.

The saving grace is the team vs Rotherham is likely to be much changed but already I'm concerned about RDM's tendency to pick Bacuna and Westwood!!..also think playing 442 today was poor as Ayew is no left-winger...in a front three on the left? Fine...but you can't expect him to be tracking back all the time because that's not what he does.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I don't think we took it to them at all. In the first half we had 30% possession or something. In the second half we had the ball slightly more, thus we looked better, but we hardly created a fucking thing. I can think of three chances, McCormack one on one, Bacuna's shot and Gestede's header. We were shit the entire match.

Get over yourself, 2nd half we were the better team, and seriously need to cut out the back pass, it was easier for cissoko to turn and run but our full back persist I playing it back all the time, why amavi didn't start I'll never know.
CoE82
CoE82

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:10 pm

In-terms of chances in the second half these are the ones I remember

Elphick header over from corner

Westwood low shot dragged wide after scramble from corner

Westwood volley over wide after another corner

Ayew weak left-foot effort into side-netting after beating the full-back

Bacuna shot over the bar after cutting inside of defender

Mccormack one on one

Gestede header

And there were several break aways that we had that we messed up aswell. No-doubt we bossed that second half but it's glaringly obvious that we need more quality is certain areas. An attacking midfielder for a start who can nick a goal and create chances.

AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next