The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa - Stoke October 3rd. 2015

+24
ember
thegaffer6
avfc85
Cha Ching
DaveAV1
EbeneezerGoode
Terry Derry
NARLA24
mefromhere
Spirit of Bosco Jankovic
big ming
smetro
AstonThriller
avfc forever
VillaBill
Thinman
achilles
Dgrizzle7
Villa_Dan
ViewFromT2
Dazzle
FoxyAV
De Kuip
Trotters
28 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  Empty Aston Villa - Stoke October 3rd. 2015

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:40 am

Didn't see a match thread for this.

Normally I would prefer a midfield with Gueye, Westwood and Veretout, or else we would get overrun. But considering this is home, we have to attacking and win...
How about ;

Guzan
Hutton Richards Clark Amavi
Veretout Gueye Grealish
Ayew Gestede Gil

Last edited by Joppe84 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  Empty Re: Aston Villa - Stoke October 3rd. 2015

Post by Trotters Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Amavi won't thank you for that line up.

I think your first thought was correct. Having Gueye, Westwood (though I'd go with Sanchez) and Veretout in midfield doesn't have to make you defensive minded - both Gueye and Veretout are more than happy to bomb forward and it also gives Richards licence to have a go with one of his mazey runs.

---------------Guzan
Ilori (?) Richards Clacker Amavi
------------Sanchez
-----Veretout-----Gueye
Gil---------------------Grealish
----------Ayew

There's some pace and skill in that side and I'd go with Ayew as I'd very much like to see the ball on the deck a bit of creativity being used.

Trotters
Trotters

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  5_star13

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  Empty Re: Aston Villa - Stoke October 3rd. 2015

Post by De Kuip Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:42 pm

!00 % agree - that's who I'd like to see start.

Was slightly worried about your post title - though - it looks like you've predicted Stoke to get 3 - hope that's not going to be the case! Very Happy

I'm expecting a loss - but to continue with consistency, it will be a game we could have won, but ended up losing by 1 goal due to tactics Tim.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:39 pm

I have to say I'd rather see Traore/RB and Grealish/Amavi hammering in balls for Gestede since the big lad is on a bit of a roll and we need to see some consistency and confidence, stuff that's been lacking somewhat in our attack of late. And I really want to see Ayew get playing and scoring, just as a central striker, but he's not up to speed yet.

Veretout has to start. No pissing around with Sinclair on the right and no Westwood/Sanchez doing two jobs incorrectly. I'd still start Westwood and substitute him later on for Sanchez.

So:

Hutton - Richards - Clark - Amavi
Veretout - Westwood - Gueye
Traore - Gestede - Grealish

Gil definitely needs to play, maybe bring him and Ayew on for Traore and Gestede if no one's scored. He brings pace and trickery to the squad, but I'd rather see Traore start, and I see Gil as a number 10, on the right or given a free role with Grealish to roam around behind the striker. That striker ain't Gestede though, and for reasons above, I'd rather Gestede start because he's on form and is a nice big blunt weapon.

I can see Sherwood thinking about it now, maybe scanning some forums for some lineup ideas, and going with Gabby on the left, Gestede in the middle and Ayew on the right. I don't think he's tried that lineup yet and he might be thinking brute, blunt force is what's needed.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:41 pm

As well as the MOTM poll we should have a lineup/formation/tactics prediction thread for every match, we could see who was right, and see who would have done a better job than the manager.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:49 pm

...................Guzan.................
Hutton...Richards...Clark....Amavi
...................Sanchez..............
.......Gueye...............Veretout....
....Traore........Sinclair...........Ayew
Dazzle
Dazzle

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:07 pm

So weird that most people are over looking Gestede in their line ups!!!!
He is an absolute shoe in to start, and rightly so. I for one labelled him a donkey last week...and to some degree I stand by that as his touch seriously needs work...but he is a goalscorer, and now he is a goalscorer that has found the net in the premier league, I expect him to make rapid strides now. You simply cannot leave out a striker in goalscoring form. 3 goals in 2 games?...come on...FFS!!!

To get the best out of him, we have to get the ball into the box. It's not rocket science.
Amavi has proven the best supply up to yet, and despite my preference for Hutton at right back in terms of actually knowing what he's doing, the bloke just cannot cross a ball (Saturday's first goal aside)...perhaps it's worth chancing Bacuna there on Saturday, as at least he can do that job.

As for the midfield, if we play 2 holding again at home against a team like Stoke then I just give the fuck up!!
Sanchez it is for me, in front of the back four....but on the strict instruction that if he drops into that back line then Richards can have a free kick into his bollox! He needs to play 15/20 yards further forward.
Veretout and Gueye in front of Sanchez would provide energy and the ability to support Gestede from midfield.
Alongside Gestede I find it hard to leave out Sinclair as again he provides a goal threat for us and does have the knack of getting in the box at the right time. He has proven that he can get goals with his head and from the edge of the area too.
I don't mind if it's Gil or Grealish that takes the final position up there, as both are very similar in many ways.

Unfortunately, I suspect Sherwood will start with Westwood and most likely Gabby.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:50 pm

I think it's harsh to leave out a striker who has recently found the net
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

I'd go with

Hutton...Richards...Clark....Amavi
....Traore........Gestede...........Gil

I've been one of Gestede biggest critics, however with his recent form he deserves to start tbf to him, still shit at holding the ball up top, but his scoring at present so to leave him out would be ludacris.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Dgrizzle7 wrote:so to leave him out would be ludacris.

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  105871-ludacris_617_409
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:
Dgrizzle7 wrote:so to leave him out would be ludacris.

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  105871-ludacris_617_409

haha auto pilot LUDICROUS!
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:47 pm

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:44 pm

My team (which has absolutely no chance of being picked) with pace down the flanks, crossing to the big man!
Grealish to come on as an impact sub, if required.

Hutton...Richards...Clark....Lescott
....Traore........Gestede...........Amavi
achilles
achilles

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:47 pm

achilles wrote:My team (which has absolutely no chance of being picked) with pace down the flanks, crossing to the big man!
Grealish to come on as an impact sub, if required.

Hutton...Richards...Clark....Lescott
....Traore........Gestede...........Amavi

Interesting choice for left wing! Since he's one of the very few people in the team excelling at his job I wonder if he wants to try for manager?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:27 pm

A home win - quite surprising

Away win - not even mildly surprising

Draw - predictable
Thinman
Thinman

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:58 pm

A "must win" already, especially b4 another international break !

...............Guzan.................
Hutton...Richards...Clarke...Amavi
..........Veretout...... Gana.......
Adama.........Gil.........Grealish....
................ Gestede...........
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:01 pm

VillaBill wrote:A "must win" already, especially b4 another international break !

Adama/Gil/Grealish, none of them track back and help the defense it would be suicide to play them all together!
achilles
achilles

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:42 pm

achilles wrote:
VillaBill wrote:A "must win" already, especially b4 another international break !

Adama/Gil/Grealish, none of them track back and help the defense it would be suicide to play them all together!

Its Stoke at home, go for it, make Stoke worry about us , not the other way round!
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 pm

achilles wrote:

The only way to play that would be Grealish as a creative CM outlet.

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc forever Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:26 pm

We really need to win this one I'm going for a 2-1 win for us.
avfc forever
avfc forever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:19 pm

De Kuip wrote:!00 % agree - that's who I'd like to see start.

Was slightly worried about your post title - though - it looks like you've predicted Stoke to get 3 - hope that's not going to be the case! Very Happy

I'm expecting a loss - but to continue with consistency, it will be a game we could have won, but ended up losing by 1 goal due to tactics Tim.

Sorry, my English goes weird sometimes. Tried to fix it now.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:43 am

achilles wrote:

Totally disagree. Gil has shown he can track back (wasn't it working against Leicester until he went off?) and if you watch him closely all of his good work happens in the central positions. Jack has drifted out to the left-hand side all of his career and feels comfortable hovering in that area!!..so i'd leave him there. Jack, Gil and Adama are our best creative talents and it's time to let them play now...what do we have to lose? We're already in the bottom three.

Palace play this way

'......'Cabaye......Mccarthur.........
............'Punchean................
.......Zaha.............Balasie...
..............Striker............

Arsenal

........Coquelin.....Cazorla.......
.................Qzil......
.........Ramsey....Sanchez....
.................striker......

Man City

..........Toure...Fernandinho
................Silva..........
........De'brouyn...Sterling...
.................striker......

And the list is endless. Are those sides packed with defensive midfielder's? We've played Westwood, Gana and Sanchez in the majority of games this season and guess what? We're still losing. Time for something new now imo.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:55 am

We saw quite clearly against Leicester that Grealish and Gil don't track back a lot. Was a reason why our entire central midfield was knackered.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:39 am

Joppe84 wrote:We saw quite clearly against Leicester that Grealish and Gil don't track back a lot. Was a reason why our entire central midfield was knackered.

Gil was playing on the right in that game!!..so he had nothing to do with the central midfield..it was Sinclair who was stupidly employed as "the number ten" and that's what ultimately caused us problems but putting that aside for a second Westwood's reckless play killed us more than anything.

Gil is more than capable of getting behind the ball while Gana and Veretout play deeper...it's time to take the game to the opposition now instead of trying to be so defensive.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Aston Villa - Stoke  October 3rd. 2015  5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:07 pm

AstonThriller wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:We saw quite clearly against Leicester that Grealish and Gil don't track back a lot. Was a reason why our entire central midfield was knackered.

Was was playing on the right in that game!!..so he had nothing to do with the central midfield..it was Sinclair who was stupidly employed as "the number ten" and that's what ultimately caused us problems but putting that aside for a second Westwood's reckless play killed us more than anything.

Gil is more than capable of getting behind the ball while Gana and Veretout play deeper...it's time to take the game to the opposition now instead of trying to be so defensive.

Err. You responded to a post suggesting Gil, Jack and Traore all attacking. Then I say that's exactly what raped our midfield vs Leicester and you proceed to say that he didn't play CM, but an AM? Well yes, that was my entire point. Playing Jack/Gil/Traore or just two of them leaves the midfield too open. They simply don't track back enough to keep them all attacking.

The only way we can make that work is like I suggested in my opening post with Grealish as a CM instead of a CAM/winger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next