The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread

+22
Edinburgh Villa
CoE82
Keyser Soze
South London Villan
USVillan
Malandro
Mazrim
lukevilla
The Utterer
Green Villan
johnny noodles
My Old Man
Trotters
holtehero
mickeywya
MinnyVilla
Villa_Dan
Jim
Tomy-Flemba
Texas_Mike
whiteensign
Dek of Villa
26 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread

Post by Green Villan Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:11 am

El Ahmadi has me in two minds, one minute he shows some good qualities then the next he's making silly mistakes.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread

Post by Trotters Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 am

Assuming that was Dallas' 2nd string in the second half, that was a bit shit.

What stood out for me in the first half was the defensive shape and the discipline throughout the 45. In attack, we were able to vary the pace, knock the ball about and play as a team.

The second half was largely pointless and dour. No movement, no inventiveness, just a lot of long ball bollocks and no real shape in either defence or attack.

Grealish, N'Zogbia (for the most part), Bent, Stevens, Hutton all surprised me in a good way.

Delph put in a lot of work but, like most of last season, there was no one there willing to help. Westwood and KEA (he's too da r forward to be effective) looked lost. Gabby had nothing to feed off.

From the players we've seen against Dallas, our best team/formation for me is:

--------------------Given------------------

-------Senderos----Clark----Baker-------
Hutton----------------------------Stevens

-----------------KEA-----------------------
------N'Zog--------Delph-----Grealish---

-----------------Bent-----------------------

Okore, from that performance, still has someway to go after his injury but I expect he'll make an impact this season. Vlaar will hopefully stay and we have Benteke to come back. I expect more from Richardson (maybe if the dopey fucks running the official site list him as a player he'll feel more at home) and Gardner and look forward to seeing Cole.

I think we need to play that zone defence that we did in the first half because we just don't have that big, ugly bone breaking midfield general; make the other team try to pass through us.

But....a good first work out against a decent team who are on a roll, were on their home turf and had the weather conditions on their side.

Lots learned and I think we have the potential for a good side if we play the right players and the right tactics and might even have enough on the bench to change a game.

I'm far more enthusiastic now that I was at the end of last season.
Trotters
Trotters

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dek of Villa Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am

I didn't manage to stay awake but for those interested, you can see the game in full here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH_X6M5jHGQ
Dek of Villa
Dek of Villa

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:26 am

@MatKendrick: Joe Cole's Texas tour looks to be over as the #avfc midfielder battles a thigh injury http://t.co/5ryABoj4qC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dek of Villa Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 am

God bless our American friends :scarf:https://www.facebook.com/events/430846700383881/482428591892358/  Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 10498030_10203158561419552_9010302247573353179_o
Dek of Villa
Dek of Villa

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 am

Trotters wrote:Assuming that was Dallas' 2nd string in the second half, that was a bit shit.

What stood out for me in the first half was the defensive shape and the discipline throughout the 45. In attack, we were able to vary the pace, knock the ball about and play as a team.

The second half was largely pointless and dour. No movement, no inventiveness, just a lot of long ball bollocks and no real shape in either defence or attack.

Grealish, N'Zogbia (for the most part), Bent, Stevens, Hutton all surprised me in a good way.

Delph put in a lot of work but, like most of last season, there was no one there willing to help. Westwood and KEA (he's too da r forward to be effective) looked lost. Gabby had nothing to feed off.

From the players we've seen against Dallas, our best team/formation for me is:

--------------------Given------------------

-------Senderos----Clark----Baker-------
Hutton----------------------------Stevens

-----------------KEA-----------------------
------N'Zog--------Delph-----Grealish---

-----------------Bent-----------------------

Okore, from that performance, still has someway to go after his injury but I expect he'll make an impact this season. Vlaar will hopefully stay and we have Benteke to come back. I expect more from Richardson (maybe if the dopey fucks running the official site list him as a player he'll feel more at home) and Gardner and look forward to seeing Cole.

I think we need to play that zone defence that we did in the first half because we just don't have that big, ugly bone breaking midfield general; make the other team try to pass through us.

But....a good first work out against a decent team who are on a roll, were on their home turf and had the weather conditions on their side.

Lots learned and I think we have the potential for a good side if we play the right players and the right tactics and might even have enough on the bench to change a game.

I'm far more enthusiastic now that I was at the end of last season.
Maybe it was Keanes set up and tactics first half and back to Lamberts in the second.
Keyser Soze

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dek of Villa Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 am

Just found these brief highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hslzA8KdJcY
Dek of Villa
Dek of Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 am

Eastie wrote:@MatKendrick: Joe Cole's Texas tour looks to be over as the #avfc midfielder battles a thigh injury http://t.co/5ryABoj4qC

Not a direct comparison, but Joe Cole could be a good player for us if we can keep him fit so would a McGrath-type training set-up benefit him.

He needs to be match fit, but he's not a young lad so does he need to be playing full training matches? Just get his cardio and fitness to where it needs to be and let him gel with the squad off the pitch??
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dek of Villa Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:37 am

Villa_Dan wrote:
Eastie wrote:@MatKendrick: Joe Cole's Texas tour looks to be over as the #avfc midfielder battles a thigh injury http://t.co/5ryABoj4qC

Not a direct comparison, but Joe Cole could be a good player for us if we can keep him fit so would a McGrath-type training set-up benefit him.

He needs to be match fit, but he's not a young lad so does he need to be playing full training matches? Just get his cardio and fitness to where it needs to be and let him gel with the squad off the pitch??

I agree, plus I get the impression he is trying too hard to impress when we just need him to play the game his natural talent allows.
Dek of Villa
Dek of Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Worst commentating I have ever heard!!!
whiteensign
whiteensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Tat American commentating was fucking brilliant. I'd rather have them than the John Motson-like commentators and I'd rather listen to hilarious Americanisms like strikers "knifing" through defences and mis-timed, shinned shots being called "knuckling" than that awful Woodward.

They're brilliant. Just brilliant.

Trotters
Trotters

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dek of Villa Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Click the link for some photos of Villa in Houston http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pictures-aston-villa-train-houston-7504116

Plus see videos of some of our passionate, American friends talking.

Last edited by Dek of Villa on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dek of Villa
Dek of Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Lee Hendrie believes Roy Keane could be Villa's best signing this season.

Hendrie thinks all three new playing recruits so far - Joe Cole, Philippe Senderos and Kieran Richardson - will go on and star in claret and blue.

But he thinks the capture of Keane will be a masterstroke.

Hendrie and Keane have already caught up here in Texas, chatting about their times together on the pitch for Villa and Man Utd.

Hendrie was a firm admirer of Keane the player - and he is confident that Keane the coach, alongside boss Paul Lambert, will work wonders.

He said: "There's a great chemistry between Paul and Roy - you can see it.

"There's a good spirit in the squad and the boys are relishing working with the gaffer and his new assistant.

"Watching them on this tour, you can see that the lads are smiling, getting on together and it's a good atmosphere in the group. That bodes well for the coming season.

"I think the gaffer has pulled off a masterstoke bringing in Roy. He's a born winner, sets high standards - but he is also good with the lads.

"The sessions look lively and bouncy and I can only see positives from this trip to USA.

"The lads have a European Cup winner to look up to and now they have a Premier League legend working on the coaching staff too.

"Roy was tremendous as a player. You used to wake up on matchdays and relish coming up against him. You'd think - how am I going to get the better of him?

"You knew it would be a great battle out there.

"Look at his achievements and his stature on the pitch. To play against him was always exciting.

"He was a word-class midfielder. I think he could be Villa's best signing of the summer because of what he will bring to the coaching staff.

"The gaffer wants someone he can trust, depend on and someone who will bond well with the players - and I think Roy is definitely the man."

Jores Okore has also hailed new No.2 Keane for his motivational skills after working with him out here in Texas.

Danish defender Okore insists that Keane - a big hit in the States - has already become a big part of boss Lambert's coaching team.

He has been impressed with the ex-Sunderland gaffer's sessions on the training fields and believes his influence will continue to grow.

He said: "Roy has been good. He has been a great acquisition. He has been talking to everyone and giving advice to everyone. I am really glad he's here. I think it's going to be great with him here.

"He's been through a lot in his career. He's played in a lot of big games just like the gaffer. They both know what football is all about."

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Anyone any idea if there will a youtube stream for the Houston game?
Green Villan
Green Villan

Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Green Villan wrote:Anyone any idea if there will a youtube stream for the Houston game?
Here you go matey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pQ942FWUAg

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks PDC you're a diamond Very Happy Much love and a +1
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Jores Okore has hailed Philippe Senderos as an aggressive and passionate central defender who will be an impressive acquisition for Villa.

Okore has been delighted with Swiss Senderos after training with him over here in Texas.

Dane Okore likes the former Milan and Arsenal star's character on the field and personality off the pitch.

He said: "I had heard good things about Philippe when he signed - people saying he will be good for the locker room. They were right.

"It's been good training with him over here in the States.

"Hopefully I can learn from him. He has been in the game for several years and he has big experience.

"I remember watching a few of his games when he was at Arsenal and Fulham. I haven't followed him throughout his whole career but I certainly know he is a great defender.

"He is aggressive and defends with his heart. His arrival will see a lot of competition for that central defence spot. But that's great to have. It will keep everyone sharp.

"Competition is good. We already have some players in our position but the more competition will push us - as an individual, as a group, as a team.

"It brings the best out of us in training definitely. You need to show your best to be selected.

"That means every game is hard work to keep up with the two starters - or to keep your starting positon.

"Philippe will be a good acquisition. I am really glad he's here."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Brad Guzan talks ahead of Houston Dynamo game.

Brad Guzan joined up with Villa on the eve of the Houston Dynamo game and admitted: "It's good to be back."

Villa No.1 Guzan has been away with USA during the World Cup campaign, a run which created a lot of interest here in the States.

Guzan took a short break to recharge his batteries but now he's ready to put all his energy into the coming weeks ahead of the 2014-15 campaign for the claret and blues.

The Chicago-born custodian was back between the sticks for an open training session on Thursday - and also worked under the blazing sun on Friday too.

Now he - and Paul Lambert's other men - are ready for Dynamo at the BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday.

Guzan said: "The first time being back felt good.

"It was great to be back on the field with the boys.

"The break was good. But at the same time I am ready to get back into the swing of things now.

"I am ready to join the guys in getting ready for the season ahead."

Guzan is always eager to put in his very best performance for the claret and blues - but he admits he feels an even bigger affinity for the club after the support he received over the summer from the fans.

The 29-year-old said the level of interest for the USA campaign in Brazil - from Villa fans all over the world - humbled him.

He continued: "The Villa fans were truly tremendous. They are just a class act.

"It wasn't just the claret and blue fans here in the US either, personally I received messages of support on social media from all over the world. It was unbelievable really.

"It's a testament to the strong support that Villa has.

"To have that support was humbling - truly tremendous. I am so thankful for it.

"It makes you realise that being part of the Villa family is something special. I am so grateful."

It's somewhat appropriate that Guzan plays his first pre-season match in the States after being a vital squad member for the team over the past few weeks.

Guzan was a massive positive force in the changing room as well as pushing Tim Howard hard for that No.1 spot in the team.

As he returns to domestic action with Villa this weekend, Guzan offered his opinion on the impact of the World Cup run on US international soccer.

He added: "I think this tournament we've just competed in could be the major turning point for soccer in the US. I really do.

"When these big tournaments come around, when you are on the world stage, people in the country start to look at the sport and think 'I can really get into this.'

"It's then about enjoying seeing us take on the likes of Germany, Portugal and Belgium and then looking for a good experience at MLS games.

"I think they might start going to an MLS game and get right behind their "team" in their specific area of the country.

"I believe this run of ours can obviously add fans to the sport.

"We know it won't happen overnight. It will still take time. It won't happen over one summer. It will build year after year.

"What's most important - one of the most vital aspects - in this evolution is the US team consistently doing something special on the world stage. That will undoubtedly help it grow.

"But this tournament so far has been a big step for the sport in the US."

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:48 pm

what time is kick off uk time,as in work till 6am, but sadly cant access utube so hopefully will be able to track down another stream
CoE82
CoE82

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Kick off is 2am mate, if I find another stream I'll link it for you :)
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:50 pm

2am uk time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dek of Villa Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Here's a picture I never thought I would see....The guys from the American TV programme " Gas Monkey" wearing Villa shirts. I really wish I was over there enjoying the fun and action. Laughing 

In case you don't know, the guys from Gas Monkey restore older American cars with lots of humour and lots of beer Laughing Aston Villa Texas Tour 2014: Match Reports and Comments Thread - Page 5 BtMNz5wIgAAWv3c
Dek of Villa
Dek of Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Tune to get in the mood......

Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Edinburgh Villa Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:49 am

PDC Lion wrote:
Green Villan wrote:Anyone any idea if there will a youtube stream for the Houston game?
Here you go matey.

this link is just showing a promo for the game at the moment....will it be showing the game soon??
Edinburgh Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Edinburgh Villa Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:51 am

Edinburgh Villa wrote:
PDC Lion wrote:
Here you go matey.

this link is just showing a promo for the game at the moment....will it be showing the game soon??

Just found this link if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZGDWJYpMQ
Edinburgh Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next