The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Promotion discussion thread

+29
Dions_Bald_Head
VTID85
DelboyVilla
smetro
achilles
Villa_Dan
deadbuzzardalive
Army villain
The Utterer
Saunders82
UnclePanda
jeffvilla
Dazzle
De Kuip
FoxyAV
AstonThriller
Fpuppys
big ming
4BetLite
Gordonsleftboot
andrew24561
bruka
Terry Derry
NARLA24
Wriggle
Boldfinger
WendyOz
Trotters
gaffer85
33 posters

Page 3 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next

Go down

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Promotion discussion thread

Post by Saunders82 Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:25 am

[quote="AstonThriller"]
deadbuzzardalive wrote:I saw a stat earlier that Ipswich, haven't won a single point this season from any teams in the top ten, lets hope that continues on Saturday.

We've just got to stay focused on one target at a time. The next target is to get to third spot and then target the second spot. That's all that matters right now and Cardiff are at Forest on Sunday so Saturday gives us a big opportunity to put pressure on them and reduce the gap to two points.

NOW that sounds like a good plan. Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 1520050566 Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 1520050566
Saunders82
Saunders82

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:02 pm

I hate to say it, but we could really do with birmingham beating Sheffield United in the late kick-off. They'll probably get thrashed though.
deadbuzzardalive

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 pm

And that little conundrum destroys so many blue-nose brain cells! I want them to win or draw as it helps us. Ask a nose and they'll want some time to mull it over.
Trotters
Trotters

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:03 pm

December is the month that could define our whole season. Leeds, Derby and Sheffield Utd are part of our next four fixtures along with Millwall. We win three of these games and then I'd be surprised if we're not second tbh.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:10 pm

birmingham have looked absolutely dreadful, but have just scored a stunning goal to take the lead.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:00 pm

A draw will do. Hold on you 6 toed fucks
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:39 pm

A good point for us at Bramall Lane, & uncle Albert has still scored more goals than them. Dancing Banana Dancing Banana
Saunders82
Saunders82

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Only two points behind Sheffield United now, I wouldn't have predicted that a week or so back. Just need Forest to beat Cardiff, if they do so, gives us the chance to go second if we beat Leeds, but that won't be easy obviously.

Another good thing about the Sheffield United result is that it might give them a bit of confidence going into the Wolves game next weekend, one more favour, and then they can start losing again.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm

I knew Forest, the sad dopes, would stink the joint out. Cardiff have a feel of the Leicester of a years back about them, an underdog who everyone expected to fall away at some point, but never did. And looking at the fixtures they've a very favorable December with four home games out of six.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:36 pm

One step at a time. The first target is to catch Sheff Utd of which we are just two points behind. So, in reality, it's been a good weekend despite Wolves and Cardiff getting results. And btw I was very pissed about that Bristol City result but I digress. The key is to now go to Leeds and not lose. A point down there wouldn't be the end of the world, but a win? Then I think it sends a serious message to the rest of the league. We also have to remember that we're gonna be facing these sides aswell. Sheff Utd, Cardiff and Wolves all have to come to VP and that will be very interesting to see.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:27 pm

One small consolation of Cardiff beating Forest, is that it means we maintain our six point cushion in the play-offs.

Beating Leeds would give us such a confidence boost going into a tough run of games, looking at the table, I think Ipswich are the only side currently occupying the top ten that we've beaten so far this season, although I wouldn't be too downbeat with a draw.

To be honest, looking at the fixtures, if we come out at the end of December, still only five points away from second place, then I think we'll have done well.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 am

Ha just catching up with tbar after a lost weekend and I've written a very similar post in the Steve Bruce thread. Should have read the above 2 posts first!
Christ I've still got a hangover from Saturday!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 am

We'd be fucked if Albert went off injured. I suppose it would open the door for Grealish but he's not really a left winger is he and there'd be more pressure on Davis to score.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Ipswich just beat Derby, good result for us, as Derby could have leapfrogged us in the table.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Ipswich just beat Derby, good result for us, as Derby could have leapfrogged us in the table.

Derby had been on a great run similar to ours so yes, that's a big slip up from them tbh. We easily dispatched Ipswich at the weekend but results like this is what makes the championship so unique. Now we've got a little cushion on that top six regardless of what happens at Leeds which is a good place to be in right now. IF we win on Friday we go into 3rd and create a four point gap between us and Bristol. These are our rivals fixtures this week.

Cardiff vs Norwich (Play on Friday like us)
Millwall vs Sheff Utd
Derby vs Burton
Bristol City vs Boro
Ipswich vs Forest
Birmingham vs Wolves

On reflection, that Derby result was quite vital as if they would have won, they could have well leapfrogged us this weekend if we don't win at Leeds. But yeah, come Saturday we could be on cloud nine if we beat Leeds and Cardiff slip up against Norwich. Then all the pressure would be on Sheff Utd and Wolves and tbh those games aren't gonna be easy imo. Millwall are more than a handful at home and Birmingham  have beaten Cardiff, Wednesday and Bristol at the Sty!!!..but of course, all this is futile if we don't do our job first.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:13 pm

I think during the month of December we just have to win our own games, or as many of them as possible, and results going our way in other games will be a bonus. Looking at the fixtures, if we still in reach of the top two come the beginning of January then I think we'll have done well.

It's a big month really, in which fans of other clubs are counting on us collapsing because they think we're basically fast track bullies who can only beat the poorer sides, but struggle against the better, if we can prove them wrong over December it should stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Totally agree @deadbuzzardalive Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 3769219917
achilles
achilles

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:54 am

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell we'll get promoted with our football. But we'll see.

What I can see is us getting into a playoff situation where we are played off the park by teams that actually knows how to pass and move, while having tactics not involving "hoof and run". Should be another humiliating AVFC moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:

It's a big month really, in which fans of other clubs are counting on us collapsing because they think we're basically fast track bullies who can only beat the poorer sides, but struggle against the better, if we can prove them wrong over December it should stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

To be honest mate all the evidence thus far indicates exactly that we are flat track bullies as  we've done eff-all against top teams. Dec and Jan will disprove or reinforce this and obviously I'm desperate for us to disprove it. Have to say I haven't yet shifted the suspicion that our recent run of fixtures has glossed over some of Bruce's shortcomings.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 am

We need to do better against the top teams, but when you look at it, of the current top ten, we've only lost to Wolves and Cardiff, and both those games were away. In fact we've only actually played three of top six, and against teams below that we've gotten some pretty decent results against the likes of Ipswich, Forest, Norwich and Fulham.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:45 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I think during the month of December we just have to win our own games, or as many of them as possible, and results going our way in other games will be a bonus. Looking at the fixtures, if we still in reach of the top two come the beginning of January then I think we'll have done well.

Last season we took points off of every single team in the top six!!. Actually, no side did the double over us last year.

Newcastle= drew one game and lost one

Brighton= drew twice

Reading= won one and lost one

Sheff Wed= won one and lost one

Fulham= won one and lost one

Huddersfield= drew one and lost one

Leeds= drew one and lost one

Norwich= won one and lost one

So we didn't do too bad last season against the better sides. And it could have been even better because we should have beaten Huddersfield both times, Newcastle were clinging on for dear life at the end of that game at VP and Brighton got battered from pillar to post in that away game and somehow got a point.

We just have to keep picking up the three points no-matter where they come from. I believe we can beat many of the better sides at VP and hopefully put this theory to bed.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:59 pm

Slip up slip up slip up

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11 pm

We've dropped down fifth as Bristol City leapfrog us, and Cardiff have extended their advantage over us to seven points. Unfortunately given Leeds recent home form, and that we're aiming to be one of the top two teams in the division, it us who's slipped up.

Things might look a bit better if Wolves lose, congest things up a bit. That game is one that I can either see them winning by a high margin, or losing by a single goal, in a scrappy game.

For all the talk of it being a tough December, two of the next three games are at home, and I don't think Derby's record at their ground is that brilliant either, Wolves, Reading and Ipswich have all gone there and won.

I think signing a top striker in January will be important to us, one that's a team player, as well as being able to score goals, do that, and it might just be what gets us over the line.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:43 am

We had the toughest game out of the entire top six this weekend, so slipping one place is not something I'm gonna crow about. Leeds is as tough an away fixture that we will face this season regardless of what form they had shown leading up to the game. So to get that out of the way, and still be in a decent position, is a good thing imo.

I knew Bristol nicking that late win at Hull would hurt us but next week it's Sheff Utd vs Bristol, so IF we can get the three points we'll be moving back up the table regardless of the result. Sheff Utd look like they are starting to feel the pressure now so we just need to keep chipping away. An interesting stat, when it comes to the Wolves game is Blues haven't lost to any of the top six thus far!!!..They've played us, Cardiff, Derby, Bristol and Sheff Utd and got two draws and two wins. So that might be a good omen.

Next weekend could be crucial. These are our rivals fixtures.

Sheff Utd vs Bristol City (play on Friday night)
Wolves vs Sunderland
Barnsley vs Derby
Boro vs Ipswich
QPR vs Leeds
Reading vs Cardiff

IF the Sheff Utd game ends in a draw, then we'd have a MASSIVE opportunity on Saturday to get into third place. Wolves are gonna have another gimme so not focused on them until the week after when they go to Wednesday, but that Cardiff game looks interesting because Reading appears to have picked up form.

So If things go our way we could potentially be in third spot and just four/five points behind Cardiff!!!!..COME ON VILLA!!.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 am

If Wolves win today they will be 11 points ahead of us, which we can safely say is beyond us to catch them as it would mean us winning 3 games while they lose 3 games which isn't going to happen! Therefore that just leaves Cardiff who are just 7 points ahead of us, even that will be a big ask although Cardiff could yet wobble although Warnock is a manager who I don't particularly like but he gets results against all the odds! Therefore I think realistically the playoffs are the best we can hope for, especially with Bruce, before a ball is kicked accepting a point away from home as a good point instead of being positive and instilling a belief in the players that anything is possible!

As for the toughest game of the weekend I would have said going to play Millwall away was easily the toughest with their small claustrophobic ground and their very impressive home record.
achilles
achilles

Promotion discussion thread - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next