The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Championship rivals thread 2017/18

+17
FoxyAV
villajk
deadbuzzardalive
AstonThriller
Boldfinger
bruka
Dazzle
The Utterer
Villa_Dan
DelboyVilla
De Kuip
danclare82
Gordonsleftboot
smetro
andrew24561
Saunders82
NARLA24
21 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 Empty Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I had a look on a Wolves forum, and they're calling the Neves signing their 'Robinho' moment, and posting the odds that they've managed to get for them to win the league, before the 'bookies' catch on. I think they're letting the fact that initial rumoured price tag was £20m and that he's been linked to Chelsea and Liverpool, lead them to think they signing some sort of galactico.

No doubt he's an exciting signing, but think they might be setting him up for a fall with the amount of expectations they're putting on him.

It really is laughable the way those fans are acting Laughing . They are virtually a slave to the Jorge Mendes machine and can't seem to fathom that. Yes, spending 15m on a young talent that plays for a big club is a coup. But the kid will only be signing for them because of Mendes and nothing else. Wolves's two biggest signings will both be Portuguese and Mendes's players. If they were signing players on big fees from all across Europe, then I'd be a little worried. But this whole thing is simply a tactic to get Mendes's players into the shop window so he can get them big moves elsewhere down the line.

We've signed John Terry and may be about to get Joe Hart. In my humble opinion getting those two would be way more significant than the Neves deal. Because those two are experienced guys who have been at the highest level for most of their careers. Neves is a kid who barely got a look in at Porto last season and barely scores or creates goals. They can stay in their dream world all they like, but the reality is it's gonna take much more than Nevas to win the title this season, that's for sure.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 Empty Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by De Kuip Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Feck me, slightly off topic I guess but has anyone seen the crying and wailing cos Central news read out a tweet calling the scum, well, scum. It's hilarious. Now I don't for one minute expect anyone to look at sha forum, mainly cos it's full of sad snotnoses, but also cos I have to keep disinfecting my phone afterwards. If you do risk it there's a thread called "Bob Warman" which is full of the sad slum dwellers getting bent out of shape and emailing Central news to complain. Considering the keyboard warriors, fantasists and tramps that post there usually give it the billy-big-bollocks about how Villa are pansies and they are tough noses, there's a lot of fucking bleating and hand wringing that I'd be embarrassed about if it was a 12 year old girl doing, let alone the so-called tough guys from shitville. Exposing themselves for the bleating sadfucks that they really are is embarrassing in the extreme. All over a tweet read out on the news ffs! They are so going to batter us when we go to st Andrex, according to some of the posters. Fuck me they really don't have anything other than us in their lives, do they.
Sad, sad sugarbags, dirty fans in a dirty shithole watching a dirty team managed by dirty Harry.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:58 am

I am not doubting that Neves is a decent player as I know nothing about him but he is a young lad with a couple of seasons in Portugal under his belt? They haven't signed Ronaldo?

All the Midlands club are obessed with us and we couldn't care less about any of them!
DelboyVilla

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 pm

I honestly don't get the Neves signing - he's joined a club managed by the person who came to Porto and dropped him to the bench, he only started 6 games last season! So much for being the youngest captain in their history.

Oh and Costa is out until Xmas
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:05 pm

The news about Costa is a massive blow for them as they were going mad about their "attack" ahead of Nevas. Costa scored most of their goals last season so it will be interesting to see how they cope with that. Being linked with Afobe!!!..would be a decent signing but can't see Bournemouth letting him go right now.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm

They've brought in Sean O'Driscoll as their academy coach, which I think is quite a coup for them, although I can't help feeling he might have one eye on Nuno's job.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Middlesbrough sign Britt Assombalonga and Martin Braithwaite, so together with Gestede and Bamford they have a lot of firepower now. I'm not sure about Monk, but you'd have to think they're going to be challengers.

I think Fulham are going to be the pacemakers, I wish we had their manager.

Also Ollie Watkins, linked with us a few times has signed for Brentford, so will be interesting to see how he does.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Middlesbrough sign Britt Assombalonga and Martin Braithwaite, so together with Gestede and Bamford they have a lot of firepower now. I'm not sure about Monk, but you'd have to think they're going to be challengers.

I think Fulham are going to be the pacemakers, I wish we had their manager.

Also Ollie Watkins, linked with us a few times has signed for Brentford, so will be interesting to see how he does.

The problem for Boro is the same problem we have. Who is gonna create the goals? They were dire last season and unless they sign some impressive wingers/attacking midfielders, they may not do as well as people think. And I agree about Fulham. They've kept old of Cainey and Johansen who formed probably the best midfield in the league last season. So they will be there or there abouts. Not sure Reading will be though as they've lost a couple of players. Norwich have got some key players injured too and just lost Murphy to Toon. So they might be a little off the pace themselves.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am

Wolves signing Diogo Jota now, another good player, who like Neves has been linked to clubs much bigger than Wolves, if these players settle they could be a big threat next season.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:28 pm

I've always said Wolves will be there or thereabouts next season, they are likely the wealthiest club in the division and have the influence in the boardroom to pull some half decent names there.

It could actually be a big season for midlands football and that (provided we can do well in local derbies) could be good for us. It reminds me of back in the day when Ron Saunders used to talk about finishing top in the region first so lets just hope we finish top of the pile.
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Personally I think they are signing a bunch of individuals, and I suspect they will look a bit like we did in our relegation season, but we'll see.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:19 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Wolves signing Diogo Jota now, another good player, who like Neves has been linked to clubs much bigger than Wolves, if these players settle they could be a big threat next season.

Another Mendes client and another kid who has been loaned out before and has never played a single game for Atletico. This deal would be on loan though so no massive fee is being paid.

We've got to see how they perform as a unit before we start hailing them as our biggest threat. Their defence, for example, is gonna be made up of foreign lads who don't have any clue about what's gonna hit them In the championship. They also still don't have a top striker on their books either. Man for man our squad sh/tted all over Brighton's. But the difference was they had a massive advantage over us where team bonding and championship know-how was concerned. We've got premiership quality in all areas of our team. Plus our squad is big too so we should easily be able to deal with the Xmas madness. These are two things Wolves don't have. I'd also wonder if their dressing room will be likes ours two years ago i.e the Portuguese lads in one corner (ours was French) and the British lads in the other? We'll see.

As for the other rivals. Hull have just signed Kevin Stewert from Pool. But their squad has been picked apart tbh so it will be interesting to see how they deal with that. Derby still haven't replaced Hughes and Ince yet. Wednesday hasn't done much business. Sunderland are also struggling to sign players. Reading are also said to be struggling which is interesting as their new Chinese owners were said to be tight with their cash. While Fulham have had a bid for Rolan accepted which is a good deal but he's not very keen apparently.

So the only team to have shown some ambition thus far is Boro really.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:20 pm

The Utterer wrote:I've always said Wolves will be there or thereabouts next season, they are likely the wealthiest club in the division and have the influence in the boardroom to pull some half decent names there.

It could actually be a big season for midlands football and that (provided we can do well in local derbies) could be good for us. It reminds me of back in the day when Ron Saunders used to talk about finishing top in the region first so lets just hope we finish top of the pile.

They've spent way less than Dr xia has so I wouldn't be so sure about that.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:45 pm

LOL it looks like the Boro prats are already drawing a line in the sand.

just went on the villa forum. they are a bit silly. the seem to think they have one of the best squads on paper. when i looked at their squad it looked a mess to me. one massive jumble of players with them still wanting mire to come in.
john terry wow they are buzzing over him. sorry villains but hes ancient relic from 10 years ago. i cant wait until we play them. terry will have their defensive line on the 6 yard line to make sure he doesnt get out paced. they will concede for fun again. i just dont see them ever threatening the play offs. traore britt and braithe will butcher them. i honestly dont see them as a threat.

consistency is the key to getting up, they havent shown it at any point and signing relics wont help.

and

These are my thoughts exactly on Villa, Terry's barely played last season and will now be expected to play 3 games in a week. The season before last when he did played 24 league games, Chelsea were a shambles conceding 2 a game. He's approaching 37 and I'm just glad we haven't gone in for him, I feel like making him Club captain will overshadow the rest of the team too.

Villa will do the same as last year and yo-yo in form. They're already close to the financial fair play cap, which is the reason they're only signing loan players and free transfers.
LINK

They sign two strikers, one of which has never done it in England, and a West Ham reserve keeper, and all of a sudden they're piping up? Idiots Very Happy

They couldn't hit as barn door last season and unless they get two or three creative players they'll be just as crap as they were last year imo. They can run their mouths all they like, we've got Premiership AND international experienced players all over the pitch. We'll see who's laughing come may.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:27 pm

I've seen Wolves fans say similar things about Terry, about how Costa, Graham and Cavaleiro are going to rip him to shreds, because of his lack of pace; I've also seen their fans call those three players the best attack in the division, and that if they sign a forward who'll score twenty goals, they will walk the league.

As for Middlesbrough I'm not sure about them, they've Braithwaite who's unproven in England and I don't think his record is that great in France and Assombalonga who's injury prone, when he's fit he'll score goals but from what I've seen he reminds me of a Darren Bent type player, meaning unless he's scoring goals he isn't doing much else, so it can be like playing with ten men. I'm also not sure about Monk myself, last season at Leeds he was extremely reliant on Chris Wood and they dropped off badly, when they should have cruised into the play-offs.

No team stands out as real threat for me, with the possible exception of Fulham, and I'd say we have the best squad, but whether we can take advantage of that is another thing.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Speaking of Wolves and Middlesbrough, they've both lost 2-0 today, to Shrewsbury and Rochdale respectively. So we're not the only ones to have disappointing friendly results.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I've seen Wolves fans say similar things about Terry, about how Costa, Graham and Cavaleiro are going to rip him to shreds, because of his lack of pace; I've also seen their fans call those three players the best attack in the division, and that if they sign a forward who'll score twenty goals, they will walk the league.

As for Middlesbrough I'm not sure about them, they've Braithwaite who's unproven in England and I don't think his record is that great in France and Assombalonga who's injury prone, when he's fit he'll score goals but from what I've seen he reminds me of a Darren Bent type player, meaning unless he's scoring goals he isn't doing much else, so it can be like playing with ten men. I'm also not sure about Monk myself, last season at Leeds he was extremely reliant on Chris Wood and they dropped off badly, when they should have cruised into the play-offs.

No team stands out as real threat for me, with the possible exception of Fulham, and I'd say we have the best squad, but whether we can take advantage of that is another thing.

Spot on. Those fans just sound extremely jealous, don't they? I always try to look at things fairly and not just through roses tinted glasses. I do believe we have the best squad as well but would just love one or two more creative players just to put the icing on the cake. We get that then nothing should stop us imo. Fulham's midfield I admire greatly but they've lost their left-back to Huddersfield and he was very influential last season. They are also struggling to get Rolan over the line and Chelsea are refusing to give them Kalas. As long as they keep their brilliant midfield trio together though they will always be a threat. I also think Wednesday could well be another Brighton in the making. Brighton were just a well-organised team with great team spirit who mastered the art of consistency. I see that in Wednesday aswell.

Boro's defence from last season will not be the one that lines up this year. Chambers has gone and Gibson will soon be heading out the door aswell. I also wonder about their midfield? Leadbitter? Guedioura? Doesn't look that great to me. De Roon is also said to be off too. Meanwhile, we're a settled side who won eight of our last thirteen games last season. Have internationals in all areas of the pitch etc. Let these other teams fans underestimate us, they'll soon find out the hard way.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Speaking of Wolves and Middlesbrough, they've both lost 2-0 today, to Shrewsbury and Rochdale respectively. So we're not the only ones to have disappointing friendly results.

Word is it was a very strong Wolves side and they looked disjointed, uninterested and devoid of ideas. Plus Nevas picked up a knock too. This is what can happen when you pack a side full of players who aren't used to English football. It has all the potential to be exactly like our last season in the prem when half of the squad were from France. Right now Wolves have five Portuguese players with Jota also said to be on the way. At the very least these players will need time to adapt to the English game and that could hamper their season right from the off imo.

As for Boro. Fans are already being critical of Assombalonga ffs Laughing . And the Leeds fans are goading Boro by saying Monk will be exposed without his spanish assistant who is now Oxford's manager. The game was scrappy and Boro were devoid of "creativity" AGAIN. Yes, it's just a friendly but it's gonna be very interesting to see how things pan out when Wolves and Boro play each other on the first day that's for sure.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:07 pm

So what do you reckon will be the competition for top 6 this year? I fancy saying top 2, but knowing Villa we will have to do it the hard way.

*Boro looks solid I'd say. Decent signings, but nothing major.
*Leeds should be ok, but they lost Monk. Some Danish dude new manager? Could go both ways I guess.
*Sheffield Wednesday is probably the most solid club I can think of in the championship. That Spanish dude has been there a few seasons now and they have managed to keep Forestieri, so long anyway, whom I think is the best striker in the championship. They've also added Rhodes, and he has now gotten a 6 months preseason and should be up for it this season.
* Hull will be up there I guess. Can't say I ever watch Hull. No idea.
* Sunderland.. well I don't think they will be up there, but you kinda have to consider a relegated side. They are shite. They are fucking awful, just like we were. They got fuck all money and the squad reflects it. Grayson is interesting though. They picked up points last season due to Defoe and Pickford, both have left.
* Wolves could be challenging I guess. Spending money at least. Personally I think they are signing a bunch of individuals who will choke as a team when the season start. Willing to bet their manager is sacked by December, but we'll see.
* Derby is probably one of the more solid clubs again. Not much to add though. Can easily see them fighting for playoffs.
* Reading, see Derby.

What are your thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Just think that the Boro fans are exactly like the Villa fans when we got relegated, they think they will walk the league! The boro fan is right, consistancy is the word, but relegated teams have only shown consistency in losing, it is a whole new ball game to reverse that trend as Villa found out.
As pointed out above Wolves are just a bunch of individuals, could play brilliantly in some games but won't have the consistency to get automatic promotion, might make the playoffs but doubt that really.

The solid sides are the ones to worry about who know what it is all about like: Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Brentford (might surprise people), Derby, Leeds. Can't see Hull doing anything, Sunderland will struggle if they don't release some money for signings and Boro could make the playoffs.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Everyone is a threat and should be treated with respect. Writing off Sunderland is daft, financial difficulties or not. We're hardly sitting in a rosy position financially and we're still yet to see any comprehensive proof that we've evolved from last seasons mid table club into a title challenging win machine. I hope the players and management don't approach this season with the same dismissive complacency that some fans seem to be. It's this complacency that I'm hoping John Terry kicks out of everyone at the club, we need to be 100% in every single game and approach every game like a must win cup tie. A bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm

I'd have to add Sheff U to that list as I think they'll carry on last season's momentum.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Dazzle wrote:Everyone is a threat and should be treated with respect. Writing off Sunderland is daft, financial difficulties or not. We're hardly sitting in a rosy position financially and we're still yet to see any comprehensive proof that we've evolved from last seasons mid table club into a title challenging win machine. I hope the players and management don't approach this season with the same dismissive complacency that some fans seem to be. It's this complacency that I'm hoping John Terry kicks out of everyone at the club, we need to be 100% in every single game and approach every game like a must win cup tie. A bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.

I haven't seen much in the way of complacency, no one seems to think we're going to walk the league or anything like, in fact a lot are fearful that we might repeat, last seasons performaces, and that Bruce won't last very long.

I actually think we need to have a bit more confidence in ourselves and treat teams with less respect than we did last season, and take the game to them rather than letting them take it to us, and I imagine that will be Terry's mindset and I'm hoping he instills it into our other players.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 am

Dazzle wrote:Everyone is a threat and should be treated with respect. Writing off Sunderland is daft, financial difficulties or not. We're hardly sitting in a rosy position financially and we're still yet to see any comprehensive proof that we've evolved from last seasons mid table club into a title challenging win machine. I hope the players and management don't approach this season with the same dismissive complacency that some fans seem to be. It's this complacency that I'm hoping John Terry kicks out of everyone at the club, we need to be 100% in every single game and approach every game like a must win cup tie. A bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.

So shouldn't we feel confident about this season considering we won eight out of the last thirteen games last season? Where we kept eight clean sheets and only lost three? The form we showed was title winning form. And now we've added three premiership players to our squad too so I see no reason why we shouldn't feel confident. Of course, nothing is settled on paper, but I struggle to see a squad in this divison that's better than ours tbh.

The fact is we were our own worst enemy last season. Game after game we contrived to throw away leads. Huddersfield, Brentford, Forest twice, Barnsley, Preston etc. And we also dominated games and didn't get what we deserved in a lot of cases too. Now we're a settled side with plenty of experience, I'd like to think we wouldn't make those same mistakes again.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 am

I'm thinking Boro and Fulham for top two, then any of Reading, Sheff Weds, Hull, Derby, Leeds, Brentford and us making up the rest of the top 6. Wolves are a non-starter for me, signing a load of unproven Portugese players with a manager who is not used to the league looks like a disaster waiting to happen and they have a very difficult start to the season. Think Nuno will be gone by October and the fans will be left wondering what happened to their new Ronaldo Neves. Sunderland are a difficult one to judge as they have to make some signings or they are looking like a double dip team. Not easy attracting players to the North East, especially without Premiership football and ridiculous wages. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of big names signing on ridiculous contracts out of the blue.
bruka

Championship rivals thread 2017/18 - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next