The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to?

+41
mefromhere
jamavfc1
tonyp
Mooseman
gdav
Terry Derry
EbeneezerGoode
bruka
The Utterer
avfc85
Jae1411
thinlizzy
Synopsis
jeffvilla
Army villain
NARLA24
Born Under The Holte End
KMitch
DaveAV1
mickmac
Dazzle
Villa_Dan
UnclePanda
VillaBill
villajk
De Kuip
Dgrizzle7
FoxyAV
DelboyVilla
WendyOz
AstonThriller
thegaffer6
Dions_Bald_Head
VTID85
Cha Ching
ember
smetro
achilles
Trotters
ViewFromT2
big ming
45 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 Empty Re: If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to?

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:06 pm

What you have to remember is that if Sherwood got the sack it would be because we are well and truly in the brown sticky stuff and a manager from the French league for example might not be the ideal coach to pull us out. Just my opinion, people talk about the likes of Pulis and Fat Sam being boring and workman like to watch but they know all about relegation dogfights and how to survive them.

Fat Sam did a good job at the Spammers IMO but they needed a more progressive coach to move forward which they have done this season. If only Lerner had done the same with MON after he established us as a top 6 team and brought in a Martinez or similar then maybe we would have made the CL?
DelboyVilla

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 Empty Re: If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to?

Post by achilles Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:25 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:If we want to stay in this league and decide to give Sherwood the heave ho then the only real candidate to keep us up is Fat Sam. Forget your silly foreign managers or prying Martinez away from Everton (will never happen) if we want league experience with a decent record then Sam's your man.

Therefore before people completely write off Sherwood perhaps they show be careful what they wish for because I suspect those folks will be the first to complain when Fat Sam is leading out the team.

If Fat Sam is leading out our team, we will definitely be in the brown smelling stuff and at that point who gives a toss as long as he gets us out of it!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:02 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:If we want to stay in this league and decide to give Sherwood the heave ho then the only real candidate to keep us up is Fat Sam. Forget your silly foreign managers or prying Martinez away from Everton (will never happen) if we want league experience with a decent record then Sam's your man.

Therefore before people completely write off Sherwood perhaps they show be careful what they wish for because I suspect those folks will be the first to complain when Fat Sam is leading out the team.

Why would he be "the only real candidate"? If Sherwood kept us up last year then there's plenty of managers available that could do the same thing. And hopefully they would also have the January window to bring in some players too.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by villajk Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:56 pm

I would go for Glen Hoddle fills all the boxes
villajk

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Glenn Hoddle , God no, kill me now If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 1715320296

His is more a Cockenee wideboy than Sherwood !
VillaBill
VillaBill

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:58 pm

VillaBill wrote:Glenn Hoddle , God no, kill me now If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 1715320296

His is more a Cockenee wideboy than Sherwood !

My thought exactly... absolutely NO! If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 1420239857
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by UnclePanda Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Not a single name appeals there.
Ive said before on here, go for Klinsmann. Id be happy then. Other than him, I cannot think of a realistic single name that will genuinely excite me about football again. (For the record, I dont think Klinsmann is realistic!)
Scary thought...
UnclePanda
UnclePanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:19 am

It would seem that "survival" managers can only pull you out of other people's shit but not their own. Maybe it's the "I didn't put you in this spot, these aren't my players, so don't blame me if you DO go down" lack of pressure that affords them the freedom to express themselves. But once in that position full time, when it IS their team and IS their responsibility, it all falls to shit.

It's almost certain that we need a manager with a bit of continental flair and tactical nous but someone who has a deep understanding of premier league football. Maybe not vast experience but who has maybe faced a few teams, maybe watched a few games so knows what to expect of the pace and aggression.

What's the closest thing available to a Benitez-lite?
Trotters
Trotters

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 am

How about Andre Villas-Boas or Aitor Karanka? Utter gambles, but I'd take them any day over another scottish manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 am

Turn your nose up all you like - but big sam gets my vote. We aren't going to play like barca, and anything beyond about 8th looks beyond up.
Big sam would keep us afloat in the prem - until we get new owners. We need to think of the here and now rather than being fobbed off with 'future visions' and '5 years plans' - FFS lets win a couple of home games on the bounce !
smetro
smetro

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 pm

smetro wrote:Turn your nose up all you like - but big sam gets my vote. We aren't going to play like barca, and anything beyond about 8th looks beyond up.
Big sam would keep us afloat in the prem - until we get new owners. We need to think of the here and now rather than being fobbed off with 'future visions' and '5 years plans' - FFS lets win a couple of home games on the bounce !

I think this is where I am, if only for a couple of seasons until we sort out this losing/negative mentality and then perhaps we can look forward a bit more and be more adventurous.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:01 pm

It'd be worth getting Allardyce in just for the @theBig_Sam tweets!
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:45 am

The thing with some of our fans is we're afraid to open our minds and look beyond the same crap we've been used to for years. WHY does it have to be another British manager? WHY should we have to turn to dinosaurs like Big Sam when there are other more successful managers available? It's this line of thinking that has got us into this mess in the first place.

Di-Matteo has lower league experience, premiership experience, champions league experience and experience in another league too..and wherever he's been his win ratio has never fallen below 43 percent. With him being only 45 and having a philosophy of building from the back just like Sam why wouldn't he be a viable option? Because he's foreign?

Same thing with Murat Yakin, Remi Garde, Lucien Favre, Aitor Karanka etc...these are decent coaches with much better pedigree's and achievements in the game than Sam..and i'd like to think we could attract all of them to Villa Park.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:20 am

AstonThriller wrote:The thing with some of our fans is we're afraid to open our minds and look beyond the same crap we've been used to for years. WHY does it have to be another British manager? WHY should we have to turn to dinosaurs like Big Sam when there are other more successful managers available? It's this line of thinking that has has got us into this mess in the first place.

Di-Matteo has lower league experience, premiership experience, champions league experience and experience in another league too..and wherever he's been his win ratio has never fallen below 43 percent. With him being only 45 and having a philosophy of building from the back just like Sam why wouldn't be he a viable option? Because he's foreign?

Same thing with Murat Yakin, Remi Garde, Lucien Favre, Aitor Karanka etc...these are decent coaches with much better pedigree's and achievements in the game than Sam..and i'd like to think we could attract all of them to Villa Park.

I disagree on Di-Matteo - he couldn't cut it in the prem with albion - he seems to suffer from the same problems of sherwood (can't organise a defence)

I don't know much about the above coaches you mention - I wouldn't be adverse to a foreign manager- if its a top notch bloke - what I fear we get in some geezer who has shown a bit of promise in a minor league.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:57 am

smetro wrote:

I disagree on Di-Matteo - he couldn't cut it in the prem with albion - he seems to suffer from the same problems of sherwood  (can't organise a defence)

I don't know much about the above coaches you mention - I wouldn't be adverse to a foreign manager- if its a top notch bloke - what I fear we get in some geezer who has shown a bit of promise in a minor league.

I think you're a little misguided where Di-matteo is concerned because lets remember he was the coach that won the FA cup and Champions league for chelsea. And during that spell Chelsea was famously hard to break down as was shown in their epic victory over Barcelona over two legs.

He then went to Schalke and again his team was hard to break down...manager's have different experiences at different clubs. Pardew was sacked from Southampton, Charlton, West Ham etc but look at him at Palace? Di-mattoe has managed two champions league teams since he left Albion and even during his time there he had a 48% win ratio. So let's no muddy the waters.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:20 am

Just had a quick look on another fan forum and they had a poll in which Fat Sam was the big favorite to take over. I never thought I would see that day?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:30 am

For my money we have to accept our aspirations under Lerner - Allardyce/Moyes/Rogers are our level and all keep us in this league until Lerner fucks the fuck off
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:56 am

Villa_Dan wrote:For my money we have to accept our aspirations under Lerner - Allardyce/Moyes/Rogers are our level and all keep us in this league until Lerner fucks the fuck off

I don't think Rodgers would keep us up.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:29 pm

Just can't stand the suggestions of all these untested foreign managers....we cannot afford to take a gamble on them. Unless it's Ancelotti...forget it!

We have to be pragmatic. The whole club is in a state, and until it's sold the only manager I think can come in and work with the restraints he will have, is Sam Allardyce. I can't believe I'm actually typing it...but it's true. He will get us out of trouble on the pitch, he will get us organised and motivated. Something we have seriously lacked for years.

Our club is floating towards the edge of the abyss, and we need proper leadership off the pitch to turn us around.
....and you know what....he can bring Kevin Nolan with him if he wants to sort it out on the pitch....we are crying out for somebody with a pair of bollox out there on the pitch.

Answer me this....when was the last time you saw a Villa player going mad at someone after conceding a goal?
It never happens, not ever!
Richards gave a stare on Saturday...that's as critical as we get.
We are in a right mess....and the current set up is only heading one way I'm afraid.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:57 pm

ViewFromT2 wrote:Just can't stand the suggestions of all these untested foreign managers....we cannot afford to take a gamble on them. Unless it's Ancelotti...forget it!

We have to be pragmatic. The whole club is in a state, and until it's sold the only manager I think can come in and work with the restraints he will have, is Sam Allardyce. I can't believe I'm actually typing it...but it's true. He will get us out of trouble on the pitch, he will get us organised and motivated. Something we have seriously lacked for years.

Our club is floating towards the edge of the abyss, and we need proper leadership off the pitch to turn us around.
....and you know what....he can bring Kevin Nolan with him if he wants to sort it out on the pitch....we are crying out for somebody with a pair of bollox out there on the pitch.

Answer me this....when was the last time you saw a Villa player going mad at someone after conceding a goal?
It never happens, not ever!
Richards gave a stare on Saturday...that's as critical as we get.
We are in a right mess....and the current set up is only heading one way I'm afraid.

Have to agree, we have to go all the way back to the basics and get that right, then and only then can we have aspirations to progress forward.
We have sunk even further than I could ever have imagined and we have to call a stop before the situation becomes untenable!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm

My personal favourite:

'It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.' ~ After a 2-0 defeat by Zenit St Petersburg, in which both goals came in the second half
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:52 pm

My favourite is where he names himself as his biggest influence!
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:15 pm

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 2 2C64455900000578-3260277-image-m-19_1444038690043
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Brendan Rodgers wrote:When we lost at Stoke last season I got home on Boxing Day night and family and guests were all around the house. I went straight upstairs to my room and didn't come out.

Laughing at You
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next