The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! Empty Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood!

Post by HH 8166 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:30 pm

The appointment of Tim Sherwood was greeted with a mixed response from a lot of Aston Villa supporters. However yours truly is delighted by it and below I am going to explain why.. Of course if he doesn't work out, this piece can be referred to as something I got wrong but I am believer in not sitting on the fence so rather than saying "I'll wait and see before judging", I'm going to follow my instinct here and say he will be a success.. Here is why:

To be a success at Aston Villa you need to have an engaging, big personality. A really positive, communicative outlook. Someone the fans can believe in and the players will die for. Saunders, Atkinson, Taylor, Gregory and O Neill all had that. I believe Sherwood does as well. No one can say the man lacks confidence, self belief or communication skills. This will help the players immensely and lift the whole atmosphere of the club that had become so wretched under Lambert who had little of the skills/personality traits listed above.

He understands how to get the best out of our players- It's been crystal clear for months that a lack of willingness to allow midfielders to get in front of the ball/ a general rigid, static formation obsessed with containment, slow paced football was hurting the teams prospects badly of scoring goals, let alone winning football matches. In one half time team talk by Sherwood so much of that was eradicated and suddenly the players were allowed to get forward, to express themselves, without being frightened to death of abandoning their rigid defensive duties.
The results were there for all to see. Suddenly we looked potent again.. A team that could score goals and create regular chances.. Benteke, although still low on confidence was suddenly in the game again.. We had multiple forward options… The handcuffs that Paul Lambert and Scott Marshall had been making the players play with, were finally consigned to the bin and didn't the players and fans enjoy themselves as a result!
It's just one half of a football, against a poor side, but I saw enough to know the manager knows exactly where the problems have been. Compare the first half to the second yesterday or the second half performance, compared to the whole game at The Walkers Stadium last month! Chalk and cheese spring to mind!

This reminds me so much of 1998 when Gregory came into Villa in similar circumstances although there is no comparison with the overall job Little had done to Lambert.. Little may well have turned it around. Lambert would not have done in my opinion. Either way Gregory's enthusiasm and larger than life personality gave Little's squad the boost it needed and the transformation was literally overnight. 11 games were left back then and Villa won an incredible 9 of them. Sherwood may not win that many but he will get the wins necessary to keep us up and put some smiles back on the faces of fans and players alike along the way. Most importantly he'll boot out the apathy/negativity and start to recapture our pride and belief as a football club as a whole.

I believe that will see the club finish the season on a high note and that will be carried forward into the Summer with a bright and exciting new dawn to embark on. Tom Fox, Sherwood, a soon to be added DOF and Paddy Reilly (Head of Recruitment) is a far more suitable executive structure forward for this football club on the pitch than a year ago when we were in the unsuitable hands of Lambert and Faulkner. We will have a transfer panel/committee. So it won't just be the manager/CEO anymore. Now it will be Reilly, Sherwood, DOF and Fox all with input with more due diligence done on every signing before it's made and a host of criteria having to be passed. This is all how it should be and hasn't been for far too long.

So exciting, potential times for Villa and what a fantastic opportunity for Tim Sherwood. Obviously only managed at this level for 30 or so games so he has done well to land such a job (Yes its still a great job). However he recognises that and is clearly delighted to be here.. I remember Gregory saying that when he was driving to the press conference to be announced as manager he kept thinking to himself "I can't believe this is Villa, I'm going to be manager of Villa!" Whilst Villa is not in the heart of Sherwood like with Gregory, I do believe he has that same feeling of excitement and delight at being given the chance to manage one of the big clubs still in England. I liked his quote "When I was talking to Tom Fox, I said, can I sign as manager now and negotiate later". It's a huge chance for this very ambitious young manager and one he will want to grasp with both hands. He'll know a key component of that will be to get a first class back room team that he can work effectively with. Hopefully they arrive quickly.

I think he will take his chance in this career defining appointment providing he never abandons his attacking football beliefs.. Sadly managers like Lambert did when the going got tough, much to the clubs and their detriment which always eventually costs them their job. Even Gregory who has the best win % of any Villa manager in the Premiership era eventually became too negative which led to his demise also.. Clearly the longer in the job, the pressure intensifies but a turn to more conservative, defensive football is not the way forward and I hope Tim always remembers that. Ferguson and Wenger never did and look how long they lasted/continue to last in very high pressurised jobs.

Best of luck Tim.. You are now the manager of a very special football club. Wishing you all the luck in the world in getting the lion roaring again- This Villa fan firmly believes you can!

UTV
HH 8166

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 0_star10

http://www.fortereliablecare.co.uk www.forteluxurycarhire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! Empty Re: Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood!

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Nicely summed up Howard. I feel very enthused again and have my love and excitement back for the club. All our problems won't disappear overnight, but this is a great new start! Long may it continue UTV Scarf Waving
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! Empty Re: Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood!

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:03 pm

still unsure wether he is right for the long term but 100% feel more confident in him keeping us up than lambert. timmy sherwoods claret blue army

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:12 pm

excellent piece Howard, summed up my feelings perfectly there.
I feel Sherwood alluded to something already in place in the summer, so clearly he has been made aware of possibilities.
We definitely have the squad to be competing way up the table, if he can get them motivated (which he will, no doubt at all) we will be safe in no time at all.

What I liked most was him referencing winning as many games as we can...not just the minimum games we need...I get the feeling he isn't going to be satisfied just keeping us up...he wants to finish as high as possible.....really, really looking forward to the immediate future now.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:14 pm

@ViewFromT2 wrote:excellent piece Howard, summed up my feelings perfectly there.
I feel Sherwood alluded to something already in place in the summer, so clearly he has been made aware of possibilities.
We definitely have the squad to be competing way up the table, if he can get them motivated (which he will, no doubt at all) we will be safe in no time at all.

What I liked most was him referencing winning as many games as we can...not just the minimum games we need...I get the feeling he isn't going to be satisfied just keeping us up...he wants to finish as high as possible.....really, really looking forward to the immediate future now.

what was it he said about the summer matey?

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiled Villan in Notts on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

He is sure to get a positive reaction from the players and this should see us through this current campaign. He needs to develop his tactical nous in the long term if he is not to suffer the same fate as so many predecessors.

Very excited about the next 13 games. We should see just how good this squad is.
Exiled Villan in Notts

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:25 pm

I firmly believe the players are good enough, think Mr Lambert is gonna be one embarrassed sole when we start smashing teams! :scratch: :scratch:

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:31 pm

Our squad is not relegation fodder standard. This group of players should be finishing somewhere between 8th and 13th, Lambert was mismanaging them and I expected better. Sherwood can still achieve a respectable finish.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:53 pm

I think we need to remember that Sherwood is not a "young manager" (he's actually slightly older than Paul Lambert). He's a very inexperienced manager, but a hugely experienced football man. The key components for TS will be his personality added to his many years of leadership experience.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:56 pm

@villabromsgrove wrote:I think we need to remember that Sherwood is not a "young manager" (he's actually slightly older than Paul Lambert). He's a very inexperienced manager, but a hugely experienced football man. The key components for TS will be his personality added to his many years of leadership experience.

IMO the players haven't had a top quality COACH leading things on the training pitch in years, Sherwood will certain bring this. Hopefully he can also be the top quality manager we need as well.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by gdav on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm excited & looking forward to my first game since the man city lose. UTV
gdav
gdav

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:59 am

@Exiled Villan in Notts wrote:He is sure to get a positive reaction from the players and this should see us through this current campaign.  He needs to develop his tactical nous in the long term if he is not to suffer the same fate as so many predecessors.  

Very excited about the next 13 games.   We should see just how good this squad is.

Welcome to the site, Exiled.
Trotters
Trotters

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:52 am

jimbop wrote:
@ViewFromT2 wrote:excellent piece Howard, summed up my feelings perfectly there.

what was it he said about the summer matey?

Hi mate, missed this yesterday sorry.

If you haven't seen or heard it yet....he just made mention that the philosophy now will not be the same going forward.
However, having just watched the AVTV interview, he made a point of saying that short term we may not see his playing style as the only thing that matters is staying up...he will use the players we have and play to their strengths in order to get results....I'm thinking there could well be an overhaul of the squad in the summer, Sherwood likes to play a high tempo brand of qood attacking football that presses the opposition high up the pitch.

I expect us to be very direct from now till the end of the season....Benteke will work the line more and we will get people around him.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:20 am

Love what Tim Sherwood said today, he said that the players will play in there correct positions and those who do not show commitment will be dropped. Its a breath of fresh air. Come on Stoke do your worse. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 am

@jeffvilla wrote:Love what Tim Sherwood said today, he said that the players will play in there correct positions and those who do not show commitment will be dropped. Its a breath of fresh air. Come on Stoke do your worse. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving

A breath of fresh air indeed JV. Lifted the whole place. We did all say a new manager would lift the place and galavanise the fan base (with the odd exception) can't wait for Saturday now. Well pumped for it.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:50 pm

The more I read/watch of Tim Sherwood, the more I'm reminded of an old boss of mine, who was the best supervisor I've ever had. Very charismatic, always friendly and cracking jokes when things are going well, but God help you if things go wrong and you should have known better. He always supported and defended us to the death, and if one of us fucked up, he fell on the sword for us publically, but would give us a monster bollocking behind closed doors. He didn't yell at you if you genuinely didn't know you made a mistake, as long as you busted your ass, but would always tell you the right way of doing it in the future. If you slacked off or purposefully didn't do something or meet a deadline, be would destroy you in front of the rest of his team. He would publically destroy every single person who tried to throw his team under the bus or stood in the way of our goals. Because of this, other departments saw him as an egomaniacal tyrant, which couldn't have been further from the truth. The only thing I didn't like about him was if he tried to send us down a direction the team collectively didn't agree with. There was no chance in hell you could convince him otherwise, unless you tried his method, found out it didn't work, then went to him privately one on one and talked it out. You'd have to wait a day or two after your talk, but he'd eventually see things from your perspective. He also wasn't the smartest technically or very innovative, but had previously held every single position on his team at other branches, so he had lot of practical knowledge that worked well, but we were far from being on the bleeding edge of our field.

Eventually, he got a promotion and was replaced by a very smart technical manager who lacked all the charisma and balls of his predecessor, but brought us into the 21st century. Looking back at my own situation and comparing it to football is kind of hilarious, because there are so many similarities.

He built the best and strongest team I've ever worked with in my industry and we all became very close friends. I still keep in touch with every single one of them 5 years later, which is practically unheard of for me. Even today, we all still have a sense of reverence toward him.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Good post bud, interesting stuff that. It is funny how so many things in life can be compared to football - I constantly use football analogies when talking about all sorts of different subjects!
kimbo
kimbo

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Back of the net Kimbo

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 238524133
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:13 pm

He has been kicking some ass in training today. Think there will be a few tired players from what i have heard. Very intense on the training ground.
NARLA24
NARLA24

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Richdalton on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:27 am

Great post as always Howard.

I have no doubt that his impact in the very short term will be fantastic and he will be able to motivate those players to win matches and score goals. Even after a quick 5 min chat on Sunday we looked a different side 2nd half. We have all craved attacking football for years and there is no doubt Sherwood believes in committing men forward and getting players beyond the main striker into the box; again this was evident in the 2nd half. Villa have the quality to be at least mid table.

I have a big interest in grassroots football and player development. Sherwood has a fantastic attitude to developing players and longer term our academy will be over hauled. He will ensure that our development is focused on developing quality technical players, Spurs are now reaping the rewards of his work.

I have no doubt over the next 18 months Sherwood will have us out of the relegation fight and sitting around mid table, which is obviously progress. I am still unsure that he has the tactical nous to take us longer term into those top 6-8 places ala Koemann but I hope he develops this side of his coaching/management whilst at Villa. I am also huge believer that a good no 2 and coaching team is vital and this is one of many areas where Lambert failed. I would have loved to have seen Ferdinand and Ramsey at Villa as well and I await with interest the appointment of coaching staff.

This is a great job for Sherwood no doubt, he knows his squad is better than the league position and importantly he appears to respect what a great club we are. Overall Sherwood is a very positive appointment and I am looking forward to watching Villa progress UTV

Richdalton

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am

Since O'Neill I haven't agreed with other managerial appointments under Lerner for reasons stated time and time again which turned out to be right.

I haven't agreed with this one either as Sherwood can cause internal unrest within a club but what we are going to find out very quickly is how bad a manager Lambert really was as I feel in the short term Sherwood will kick a few arses at the club and get us to safety this season.

However I don't think that is a very hard objective to meet due to the squad we have which was underperforming and our run in which with basic motivational and organisational skills should see us home quite comfortably.

What I do worry about is the view the club have that Sherwood can be a very important cog in the long term view of our club with everything revolving around him perfectly.

We shall see?
Morpheus
Morpheus

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19 am

Totally agree Howard Sherwood is very similar to JG. They both have that enthusiasm and self belief with borders on arrogance. They both take no prisoners and say whats on their mind but will be fiercely loyal to those who support them.

If TS proves half as successful between now and the end of the season as JG then we will be fine. Just no Bosko Balaban's in the summer please Tim.
DelboyVilla

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:32 am

I don't get your comment about Sherwood causing internal unrest, Morph. In what way can he bring about problems that weren't manifestly there before but weren't spoken of?

Fox strikes me as a man that can deal with internal issues but if Sherwood challenges the status quo then I'm all for it at the moment because this club waa sleep walking to disaster.

Trotters
Trotters

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:35 am

@Trotters wrote:I don't get your comment about Sherwood causing internal unrest, Morph. In what way can he bring about problems that weren't manifestly there before but weren't spoken of?

Fox strikes me as a man that can deal with internal issues but if Sherwood challenges the status quo then I'm all for it at the moment because this club waa sleep walking to disaster.

He caused internal problems at Spurs Troy which contributed to his sacking there.
Morpheus
Morpheus

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:46 am

But Morph trouble was I think Tim realized half way through his time managing that Levy was going to replace whatever his results and he also had the 7 new players to contend with?

The biggest worry for me with TS is that he is very inexperienced for a 45 year old manager? He hasn't worked his way up through the divisions or had years as assistant under a seasoned campaigner. We only have 30 games at a notoriously fickle self important little club in London.

However after Sunday I am glad we didn't end up having weeks under the Marshalls who seem to have taken up Lamberks bad habits?
DelboyVilla

Welcome Tim Sherwood- Great appointment for Aston Villa and great opportunity for Tim Sherwood! 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum