The Bells Are Ringing


WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!


The Steve Bruce thread

Page 21 of 28 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next

Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Saunders82 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Bruce has taken stick from us fans, he has lost his dad & mom is poorly but he was there for us, the emotion of the first goal got to him, fair play he wears his heart on his sleeve, hope it carries on and he gets us up. Respect Steve Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
avatar
Saunders82



Posts : 976
Reputation : 658
Join date : 2014-04-17
Age : 68
Location : Birmingham UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Fpuppys on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 pm

I'm not a lip reader but having recorded the game and watching it again, I swear he say's to Uncle Albert when he takes him off "You fucker, you made me cry", Looking forward to when he's able to speak about the game.
avatar
Fpuppys



Posts : 882
Reputation : 384
Join date : 2014-04-28
Age : 53
Location : Wishing I was somewhere else.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Villa_Dan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm

I know his football hasn't always been to everyone's taste but after the stuff he's been dealing with at home the last few weeks to care like he does shows the character of the man. And it shows on the pitch - the players to a man give a shit
avatar
Villa_Dan



Posts : 4425
Reputation : 4106
Join date : 2014-05-13

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by De Kuip on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm

@Villa_Dan wrote:I know his football hasn't always been to everyone's taste but after the stuff he's been dealing with at home the last few weeks to care like he does shows the character of the man. And it shows on the pitch - the players to a man give a shit

Yep I think I'd better prepare to start eating some of my words regarding Bruce - if it was his team selection today it was spot on and so was our set up and performance. However we've arrived at where we are, something has clicked big time. Whatever I may think about Bruce medium to long term, I can't knock what we're currently achieving.We are in the driving seat for automatic second now and our rivals have to come to us still.
avatar
De Kuip



Posts : 2786
Reputation : 3700
Join date : 2014-05-20
Age : 101

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by achilles on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 pm

There is definitely a togetherness about the squad which is fantastic to see except for Bjarnason who left the pitch at the end and didn't join in with the other players coming up to the Holte end and applauding the supporters. This was while Albert was presenting Grealish with the MOM award in the centre circle.

Bruce has certainly gone up in my estimation after this game with all his personal issues he has had to deal with outside of football.
avatar
achilles



Posts : 2120
Reputation : 1386
Join date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Bjarnason deserves he spot back next match tbh.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Joppe, glad to read your still a retard

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by achilles on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 pm

jimbop wrote:Joppe, glad to read your still a retard


No need for that!
avatar
achilles



Posts : 2120
Reputation : 1386
Join date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Saunders82 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:58 pm

@achilles wrote:
jimbop wrote:Joppe, glad to read your still a retard


No need for that!

Very true, I've said it elsewhere but we have to stand together now throughout the club, from the Dressing room to the fans. If we do this then who knows what we can do. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
avatar
Saunders82



Posts : 976
Reputation : 658
Join date : 2014-04-17
Age : 68
Location : Birmingham UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:58 am

No worries. I got used to his personal attacks, and as this forum finds posts on posters okey, I just have him on the ignore list.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Gordonsleftboot on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 am

The simple fact is that Bruce has done a great job in the past 16 months or so. The club has turned around and he has hardly spent a bean when departures and arrivals are balanced together. He is building a solid foundation. OK it may not have been too thrilling to watch at times but even that is changing. When will some finally admit they got it wrong? The problem is that fan's theories will never see the light of day and be proven right or wrong. Keep going Steve. I have no idea what Roundy and some others are doing but Bruce seems to know what to do. 10 wins is all we need!
avatar
Gordonsleftboot



Posts : 202
Reputation : 248
Join date : 2014-05-19
Location : Where I want to be

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by achilles on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:29 am

@Gordonsleftboot wrote:The simple fact is that Bruce has done a great job in the past 16 months or so. The club has turned around and he has hardly spent a bean when departures and arrivals are balanced together. He is building a solid foundation. OK it may not have been too thrilling to watch at times but even that is changing. When will some finally admit they got it wrong? The problem is that fan's theories will never see the light of day and be proven right or wrong. Keep going Steve. I have no idea what Roundy and some others are doing but Bruce seems to know what to do. 10 wins is all we need!

Mate, it is all about opinions and that is what a forum is all about to discuss each other's point of view.
Just because you may disagree with somebody's elses opinion doesn't mean you are right or wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we would all be millionaires with it!
@Joppe84 last season put some valid arguments together about not changing managers in mid-season and for some stability, after some thought I agreed with him and changed my mind.
From the very start of this season I advocated that Bruce was in charge for this season come hell or high water, having posted that thought on this forum many times, and I have stuck with that opinion, which may turn out to be the right call. @Joppe84 because of the type of football Bruce plays has changed his opinion, that is his choice.

Ultimately, a forum is all about different opinions and debate and just because you may disagree with somebody it doesn't mean that you can't listen to their argument and view it with a rational point of mind, rather than just slagging them off because it doesn't match your own.

By the way @Joppe84 and myself have had some differing points of views along the way but there is no harm in that as long as it does not get personal.
avatar
achilles



Posts : 2120
Reputation : 1386
Join date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Very accurate post that Achilles. I think this season highlights how important continuity is to success, which always was one of my main argue points.

Unfortunately I think our football is just too poor for the quality of players we got. I think we will struggle if promoted, as I see very little off ball movement and future in our hoofball. But I might change my view yet again, as we've looked a lot better in 2018.

Who knows how it will turn out.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by smetro on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 am

@Gordonsleftboot wrote:The simple fact is that Bruce has done a great job in the past 16 months or so. The club has turned around and he has hardly spent a bean when departures and arrivals are balanced together. He is building a solid foundation. OK it may not have been too thrilling to watch at times but even that is changing. When will some finally admit they got it wrong? The problem is that fan's theories will never see the light of day and be proven right or wrong. Keep going Steve. I have no idea what Roundy and some others are doing but Bruce seems to know what to do. 10 wins is all we need!

Hes the best man under circumstances - how he will cope in the PL with limited finances, not so sure (but how does anyone cope !). I still worry about us up front , but defensively we seems pretty bombproof.
.
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2773
Reputation : 1483
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am

If we were to get promoted then don't think the finances would be that limited relative to most other clubs in the division, in fact I'd imagine that apart from the top six we'd be one of the bigger spenders, that said, even a big spend, doesn't get you very far these days in terms of what you're able to buy, if were to make the Snodgrass, Onomah and Johnstone loans permanent that would probably cost the best part of £40m, which would essentially be just to stand still.


Last edited by deadbuzzardalive on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 3234
Reputation : 1569
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 am

Lets be honest, we probably need at least 5-6 very solid players if we're promoted. And that's excluding the loans we currently got.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by smetro on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:If we were to get promoted then don't think the finances would be that limited relative to most other clubs in the division, in fact I'd imagine that apart from the top six we'd be one of the bigger spenders, that said, even a big spend, doesn't get you very far these days in terms of what you're able to buy, if were to make the Snodgrass, Onomah and Johnstone loans permanent that would probably cost the best part of £40m, which would essentially be just to stand still.

Well we can't even afford to pay Huttons wages - Prem or non prem. Wyness has also said there would be no big spending spree on promotion (whatever big means !) - my Hunch would be our net spend would be around £30m
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2773
Reputation : 1483
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm

We haven't said we can't afford Hutton's wages on promotion, just that contracts can't be sorted until we know which division we're in next season, I suspect that there's no intention to keep him whatever happens, for footballing reasons. Also Wyness didn't say that there wouldn't be a big spending spree, he only said that with the way transfer fees have inflated, even a relatively large amount doesn't get you very far.

I'm not expecting us to outspend the top six clubs, or even teams like Wolves and Everton, but I think we'll spend £50M plus at the very least, maybe considerably more. I remember people saying that Xia would spend about £15m when he first bought us, then look what happened, parachute payments hardly covered the wages.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 3234
Reputation : 1569
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I've come to accept that Bruce is here to stay but if that's the case he needs assistance whether he likes it or not. We look great in so many ways but there's still the problem of moving the ball out of defence without giving it away immediately, the use of substitutions and a greater issue with reacting/preempting and changing things around during matches. And really if some of that was addressed (does it fall under the general description of tactics?) we'd be on a different level.

On the plus side Bruce has stabilised the team, on the downside we've lost out on points because he's stuck with the same players who have been clearly wrong and the squad as a whole only improves when those players get injured and replaced with the correct options. We're where we are and looking good so as long as no one gets injured and the likes of Onomah and Whelan don't come back into the team I don't see why we can't strengthen our position.

I'm not sure we can overhaul Wolves and it's a shame it's taken us this long to get where we are because a closer race against them through the season would have been fantastic. Maybe we will get the chance, maybe they will have key players injured and things will level themselves out, or maybe we'll keep winning and they'll draw a few. Maybe we'll drop away too, who knows.

I don't know what effect Bruce has had as manager (as opposed to the people who actually train the players, the confidence they build from winning matches and the fact a lot of the best players in the Championship have been grouped together and to a certain extent should be able to win matches on their own) but it's working now. Just please let Bruce's overlords at Villa give him all the assistance he needs as this is the perfect opportunity to take the momentum and if we do get into the PL to do it with the solid core of players we need to stay up. We haven't looked like a settled team in years, we haven't had pretty much all the players claiming their positions and we finally have something to fight for that isn't just PL survival.
avatar
FoxyAV



Posts : 2164
Reputation : 2093
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : Winchester

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by smetro on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:We haven't said we can't afford Hutton's wages on promotion, just that contracts can't be sorted until we know which division we're in next season, I suspect that there's no intention to keep him whatever happens, for footballing reasons. Also Wyness didn't say that there wouldn't be a big spending spree, he only said that with the way transfer fees have inflated, even a relatively large amount doesn't get you very far.

I'm not expecting us to outspend the top six clubs, or even teams like Wolves and Everton, but I think we'll spend £50M plus at the very least, maybe considerably more. I remember people saying that Xia would spend about £15m when he first bought us, then look what happened, parachute payments hardly covered the wages.

Pretty sure Bruce said more or less word for word - that we hadn't got money to offer any players new contracts - so Hutton wouldn't be getting one.
If promotion to the PL bounces us into to a new financial world then great - but the signs are ominous - no new contract for AH , Wyness saying that spending big doesn't get you far these days, and most of all where is all this extra cash coming from ? - we aren't bankrolled by a major multinational
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2773
Reputation : 1483
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 pm

@smetro wrote:
@deadbuzzardalive wrote:If we were to get promoted then don't think the finances would be that limited relative to most other clubs in the division, in fact I'd imagine that apart from the top six we'd be one of the bigger spenders, that said, even a big spend, doesn't get you very far these days in terms of what you're able to buy, if were to make the Snodgrass, Onomah and Johnstone loans permanent that would probably cost the best part of £40m, which would essentially be just to stand still.

Well we can't even afford to pay Huttons wages - Prem or non prem.  Wyness has also said there would be no big spending spree on promotion (whatever big means !) - my Hunch would be our net spend would be around £30m

Refuse to believe that. £ 30 mill roughly gives you Tekkers. The idea that we would get promoted into a £400 million contract (or whatever the sum is now), and spend £ 30 million to stay there, that would be insane.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm

@smetro wrote:
@deadbuzzardalive wrote:We haven't said we can't afford Hutton's wages on promotion, just that contracts can't be sorted until we know which division we're in next season, I suspect that there's no intention to keep him whatever happens, for footballing reasons. Also Wyness didn't say that there wouldn't be a big spending spree, he only said that with the way transfer fees have inflated, even a relatively large amount doesn't get you very far.

I'm not expecting us to outspend the top six clubs, or even teams like Wolves and Everton, but I think we'll spend £50M plus at the very least, maybe considerably more. I remember people saying that Xia would spend about £15m when he first bought us, then look what happened, parachute payments hardly covered the wages.

Pretty sure Bruce said more or less word for word - that we hadn't got money to offer any  players new contracts - so Hutton wouldn't be getting one.
If promotion to the PL bounces us into to a new financial world then great - but the signs are ominous - no new contract for AH , Wyness saying that spending big doesn't get you far these days, and most of all where is all this extra cash coming from ? - we aren't bankrolled by a major  multinational

We haven't got the money to give Hutton a contract because we're still in the Championship, and restricted by FFP, also given his age and the amount of full-backs already at the club it's logical that we will allow him leave anyway, he really isn't a very good player.

The extra cash will come from the TV deal, Recon aren't exactly short of cash either, they invest hundreds of millions into these smart cities, the deal with PT.WIKA REALTY in Indonesia is worth $450m alone according to reuters, and they've recently agreed another deal to buy another firm for $136m (reuters), we're also in talks to buy a Danish club, so there's money swimming about, how much they throw at us is another question though I suppose; of course I'm not expecting us to be able to compete with the Chelsea, City and Wolves owners, but I think we'll spend a lot more than £30m, in fact we'll probably come close to spending that much on one player.

Of course before we worry about this, we really need to get promoted first.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 3234
Reputation : 1569
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by smetro on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 pm

This where I disagree - show me a smart city where Xia and recon are involved ?

The Leave it 'Wyness' approach seemed at Aston Villa to be something he stumbled upon, but actually this seems to be more what recon does - it installs management expertise into companies (and that , if anything, was what was rumoured with the danish club) - Recon themselves don't actually seem to produce much at all - sure they have fingers in a lot of pies but the Idea that recon are building cities around world is very wide of the mark.

A lot of seems PR how long have XIA been looking a buying a 2nd club - without anything ever coming to fruition - then there was the academy we brought in india, which later was watered down to a 'Villa Endorsement, - Which was then diluted even further to a Villa plaque at the academy.

I m not having a dig, other than RDM , I have no real problems with xia - but lets not build him into something he isn't.


avatar
smetro



Posts : 2773
Reputation : 1483
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm

"This where I disagree - show me a smart city where Xia and recon are involved ? "



This is a good point. As someone that work in a similar field of engineering. I rarely experience companies not advertising the projects they've developed. For Recon you can't find much, if anything. 


It's almost as Recon is a sort of shell company. I can't really figure the company out.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 pm

All these smart city deals are listed on their website, and some of them get reported  in the Chinese business media, and the details are made public for anyone to see, because teamax are on the stock exchange. To suggest that Recon aren't involved in Smart Cities is pretty ludicrous considering that even the other parties involved in the deal usually local governments, report the deals as well.

And to be clear a smart city isn't the actual buildings of a city, it's like a 'smart home' but on a bigger scale.

As for the academy in India I haven't got a clue what's going on with that, but I don't think that was meant to be a big deal anyway, not in terms of investment, just a way of getting the Villa name out there; there are also academies in cities across China, to which we've sent professional coaches to run.

As for buying a second club, that was always going to be a long term plan, we will have to see if this Lyngby Boldklub thing comes off, and maybe it won't because there are four other bidders, but we're definitely serious about it, as Wyness as been pictured there today, and was in talks with the Lynby government yesterday, who own their ground. Besides the type of clubs we're looking at it probably won't be a big investment anyway.

Building Xia up to be something he isn't can go both ways, he's not mega rich, (even if he was, I don't think he's the type to spend ridiculous money), but he's hardly a pauper either, I don't think it's unrealistic at all to expect we'll spend £50m or more should we reach the prem, Xia wouldn't even have to spend their own money, the TV deal would be enough.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 3234
Reputation : 1569
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 28 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum