The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Steve Bruce thread

+37
andrew24561
UnclePanda
LVBrit
bruka
STO67
De Kuip
FoxyAV
deadbuzzardalive
VTID85
avfc forever
jeffvilla
Fpuppys
Jae1411
smetro
Terry Derry
rogermuffin69
danclare82
Saunders82
achilles
gdale1
villajk
Wriggle
Army villain
ember
mefromhere
Dazzle
gaffer85
Boldfinger
Trotters
Dions_Bald_Head
NARLA24
The Utterer
DelboyVilla
Villa_Dan
big ming
Gordonsleftboot
AstonThriller
41 posters

Page 20 of 43 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 43  Next

Go down

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 Empty Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Saunders82 Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:31 am

Joppe84 wrote:
De Kuip wrote:I think Bruce is a very lucky manager. Not only have we got a superb squad but it looks like Agnew is making a real difference. Add to that yet again that injuries has meant that those coming in have looked really good  - Thor is a good example and Hutton over on the left/ Grealish not being played on the wing due to Adomah's form etc. I personally put all these down to circumstance and very little to Bruce. TBH apart from making smart alec press conference soundbites and bizarre substitutions I really don't know what Bruce brings to the table.
Lucky man. A very lucky man.

Nothing has changed for me tbh. I still want him sacked. All though we should wait until the summer now, as getting in a new manager now without a window, nor money would be very unfair.

We really are a one route hoofball team, and the Blades match proved that once again.

Sorry Joppe but I think De Kuip is spot on and for me not matter what way our team get better and into the prem, manager changes etc are something for the future. As we stand at this point in time with the team spirit etc I'm pretty sure that flair and good football will be along soon. lol!
Saunders82
Saunders82

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 am

Saunders82 wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:
De Kuip wrote:I think Bruce is a very lucky manager. Not only have we got a superb squad but it looks like Agnew is making a real difference. Add to that yet again that injuries has meant that those coming in have looked really good  - Thor is a good example and Hutton over on the left/ Grealish not being played on the wing due to Adomah's form etc. I personally put all these down to circumstance and very little to Bruce. TBH apart from making smart alec press conference soundbites and bizarre substitutions I really don't know what Bruce brings to the table.

Nothing has changed for me tbh. I still want him sacked. All though we should wait until the summer now, as getting in a new manager now without a window, nor money would be very unfair.

We really are a one route hoofball team, and the Blades match proved that once again.

I'm pretty sure that flair and good football will be along soon. lol!

I won't claim I can't be wrong, but I've seen nothing to suggest this. In my eyes the only reason our football has looked a bit better in 2018 is due to the return of Grealish. I'm not even sure Agnew has that much to do with it. I'd be willing to be my left nut that if Grealish got injured again, we would be the same shite hoofball team we saw in 2017.

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 am

Joppe84 wrote:
Saunders82 wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that flair and good football will be along soon. lol!

I won't claim I can't be wrong, but I've seen nothing to suggest this. In my eyes the only reason our football has looked a bit better in 2018 is due to the return of Grealish. I'm not even sure Agnew has that much to do with it. I'd be willing to be my left nut that if Grealish got injured again, we would be the same shite hoofball team we saw in 2017.

If Grealish gets injured we all know Onomah will take his place again and O'Hare won't get a look in. Joppe is right, we'll be back to hoofball full time. It hasn't actually gone away but Hourihane and Grealish persist in trying to pass the ball on the ground down the middle. Ironically I'm pretty sure Whelan at least tried to pass the ball out of defence even when it was usually only ever sideways to the wings, while Thor when in front of the defence looks up before punting the ball long to the opposition defence. Further up the pitch he looks much better because his passing looks good. I wonder if whoever is doing the attacking coaching needs to have a word with whoever is doing the defensive coaching and ask if he wouldn't mind laying off the hoofball for a while just to see if it made any difference? Having said that Grabban looks a bit taller than Hogan, I wonder if it'll be a return to how we looked with Kodjia?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 am

I really don't understand why we resorted to hoofball against the Blades when I thought at last we had got rid of it, it was very disappointing but again we got a brilliant result so does that justify it?

I suppose at this point in time we accept it for what it is and just grin and bear it especially if it produces results but it certainly isn't pretty.
achilles
achilles

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 am

Mud thrown at a wall. Monkeys with typewriters. We get that Bruce hasn't suddenly become a tactically astute manager in tune with his players, but he doesn't seem pig-headed enough not to try new things or recognise when things aren't working, because he doesn't necessarily have the skills to fix them himself. Similar to Big Sam; he needs his big trusty team around him.

I guess it's experienced-based management. He's like a GP, he'll make a stab at diagnosing the problem & then he'll call one of his contacts to refer you.

For now it's working - I'm not going to worry myself with the 'what if's' or looking to the future.

Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 am

I don't think it's just Grealish to thank for our improved football, he's certainly helping, but you only have to see our performances with him in the side last season to see that he alone doesn't turn us into a good footballing side, although if he gets injured I think it's vital that we replace with a similar player in the starting eleven, either O'Hare or bring Green onto the wing and move Snodgrass, central I've got nothing against Onomah, but think he's better as a box-to-box midfielder.

I put our improvement down to Agnew, our upturn in fortunes has coincided with his arrival, as has the performances of individual players, like Hogan, Grealish and others, but we've got to keep it up, and show that the Sheffield United performance was just a blip.

As for Bruce, I think he will be here a long time now, Wyness keeps talking about stability, has said that if we go up he thinks we have the coaches in place to establish us in the Premier league, and has also said that we've already had discussions on summer transfer targets for whichever division we might be in. I think the only way Bruce will leave before next season, is if we fail to reach the play-offs.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Hogan benefits from Grealish and Hourihane, who benefit from Thor, who's there because he's shown he has the legs Whelan doesn't. If Whelan could run I reckon he'd be in any Championship side every week on merit. He can't and I still maintain should be on the bench to come on in the last 10 or 20 minutes to sit in front of the defence and look angry (although I still prefer Jedi for this, it's probably the beard). Interestingly Grealish, Hourihane and Thor weren't Bruce's first-choice players for their positions, even though he talked in the summer about Grealish being a key player for us this year. Hourihane came in after Lansbury was injured, Grealish for Onomah and Thor for Whelan. And for me while I'm certain Agnew has probably made a big contribution (if it's true we were relying on defensive coaches for attacking play) what's made the biggest difference - especially since we've seen each stage - is Hourihane in midfield, then replacing a DM with Grealish and finally freeing up Hourihane with Thor. We now have two attacking players and Thor doing some great defensive/attacking work where only a couple of months ago we had Hourihane pegged back to cover Whelan and a DM ahead of both of them. That's a defensive triangle in the middle of the pitch turned round to be a thoroughly attacking one.

I wonder if the new boy from ManU is going to see any action? Thor looked superb against United on Tuesday.

Going back to Hoofball, it would be interesting to see how many long balls played forward by Thor or any of the defenders (and the goalie for that matter) succeeded in being retained by our players, against the stats for that kind of ball played by other teams and against stats for us passing the ball out.

When Lambert ran the show we played in our half because when we did get the ball we hoofed it for the strikers to chase and 19 times out of 20 we'd presented the ball on a plate to the opposition. If we want to help our defence surely we need to retain possession more by passing to players rather than wildly punting the ball into the other half?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Foxynoxy wrote: Going back to Hoofball, it would be interesting to see how many long balls played forward by Thor or any of the defenders (and the goalie for that matter) succeeded in being retained by our players, against the stats for that kind of ball played by other teams and against stats for us passing the ball out.

I actually got annoyed by the hoofball against blades, so I started paying attention when we hoofed. I didn't keep count, but we did come off in a worse position afterwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 pm

achilles wrote:I really don't understand why we resorted to hoofball against the Blades when I thought at last we had got rid of it, it was very disappointing but again we got a brilliant result so does that justify it?

I suppose at this point in time we accept it for what it is and just grin and bear it especially if it produces results but it certainly isn't pretty.

I think it is a reaction to being put under pressure, it seems to be ingrained in us, clear our lines, just hoof it forward, parks football really. It doesn't help us when Hogan is on his own its not his game to hold it up till the midfield arrive, stopping it is hard to do, were damned if we don't clear the danger & damned if we do. The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 4025243045
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:27 pm

What we need is someone telling the players what to do while the match is in progress. If that person needs some help, get the people I assume are up high in the stands/out the back watching the live match/feeds to advise people on the bench.

You know, tell Thor that the long balls aren't working. Tell the defenders to find space when the goalie has the ball so he has someone to aim for and tell a central midfielder to come for the ball if the wingers are running the channels and have the other one and Hogan moving so they can help out. We've had so many matches where the goalie only punts the ball long, he's been instructed to get it to the striker every time. Doesn't take much to notice it's not working. Maybe get Snodgrass and Adomah to swap from time to time. Hogan isolated? Mix it up by shifting to a 4-4-2 with Grealish moving left and Adomah up front (or vice-versa).

Maybe it's just me watching on telly, maybe I don't get to enough matches, but it doesn't look like we react to what the other team is doing or to what we're doing wrong. If we're keeping Bruce though, he needs the help and someone should be identifying these issues.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:39 pm

That is what is so irritating all the fans can see it isn't working but nobody on the touchline does anything about it.
I think that is what makes a good coach when he can see it isn't working and is prepared to do something about it, irrelevant as to what stage the game is at.

Yes, it would be nice for the wingers to switch sometimes, just to mix it up, unfortunately Snodgrass is never going to play on the left wing!

Still it is as it is and I can't see anything changing any time soon!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Bruce is doing the job he is payed to do. Nobody is expecting a Chelsea or Man City are they really ?
Let him do his job and get us back up into the Premiership is all that matters in my view.
NARLA24
NARLA24

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Joppe84 wrote:

Im sure there are some stats kicking around that villa are amongst the teams that play the fewest long balls in the championship.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:11 am

NARLA24 wrote:Bruce is doing the job he is payed to do. Nobody is expecting a Chelsea or Man City are they really ?
Let him do his job and get us back up into the Premiership is all that matters in my view.

I disagree. We need to play our socks off to get promoted and then hit the ground running with momentum and the core of a good team to have a chance of staying up next season. We have enough trouble in this league against well organised teams with clever managers, we're going to get slaughtered in the Premier League. Sure, it would be great if we do get promoted but the way we're run we'll be straight back down again. We need to make the best of what we've got, and we're not. Agnew is recognition of that but shouldn't be the only change at the club. I'm not talking about replacing Bruce, that would have happened long ago, I'm talking about giving him all the help the club can, whether he thinks he needs it or not.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:51 pm

smetro wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:

Im sure there are some stats kicking around that villa are amongst the teams that play the fewest long balls in the championship.

I'd love to see the origin of those stats. Because from August to December that was more or less the only way we scored goals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Just read the sad news that Steve Bruce lost his old man this morning and his Mother is ill in hospital. RIP Joe and condolences to the family.
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Good grief, that is sad news, my condolences to his family.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:12 pm

That is sad news.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Devastating news for Steve Bruce - I feel for him.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Sad new for Steve's Bruce family, my heart felt condolences
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc forever Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Very sad news indeed on the loss of his father my condolences to Steve and his family on a lesser note I'm glad he's won the manager of the month award.
avfc forever
avfc forever

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Bruce crying when Adomah scored, hopefully today's result makes him feel better, even if only a little bit.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:22 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Bruce crying when Adomah scored, hopefully today's result makes him feel better, even if only a little bit.

After a sad week it's understandable he got so emotional, never be afraid to show some passion.
The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 Dvwpez10
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 pm

fair play to him. I want even sure he would be at the game today.
Respect where it's due.
I haven't been his biggest fan but for me today he became villa manager.
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Boldfinger wrote:fair play to him. I want even sure he would be at the game today.
Respect where it's due.
I haven't been his biggest fan but for me today he became villa manager.  

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 20 3769219917
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 43 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 43  Next