The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE

+16
NARLA24
shanghaivilla
worcesterkev
WendyOz
smetro
Fpuppys
Boldfinger
Saunders82
KMitch
deadbuzzardalive
Villa_Dan
The Utterer
George
Trotters
DelboyVilla
Cha Ching
20 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 Empty Re: THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE

Post by AstonThriller Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I know it's hard to differentiate. But there's such things as motivating players.

So surely that makes him even better than you think then if he's working wonders with "poor players"? Laughing
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Problem is that we don't have poor players.

But I have no doubt Steve Bruce can get us promoted, problem is that he offers no continuity. We have to sack him at promotion so we would be better off we gambling on unproven that's made the grade in the lower leagues. But I've already covered that in this topic and you'd know if you could read what people wrote. And I'll add a smiley here as that how you like to debate. Suppression techniques ftw. Like a woman. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Xia's daughter seems to like him....................

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 9120po10
4BetLite
4BetLite

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Joppe84 wrote:Problem is that we don't have poor players.

But I have no doubt Steve Bruce can get us promoted, problem is that he offers no continuity. We have to sack him at promotion so we would be better off we gambling on unproven that's made the grade in the lower leagues. But I've already covered that in this topic and you'd know if you could read what people wrote. And I'll add a smiley here as that how you like to debate. Suppression techniques ftw. Like a woman. Laughing

Erm how does he offer no "continuity" when his average finish in the premiership is 13th place? If anything he's the perfect man to get now as he can get us up and has the experience of keeping a team in the Premier League the following year as he's done at both Birmingham and Hull.

Tbh your argument is flat out frivolous with no substance whatsoever. Thankfully the people actually making the decisions at the club have a little more common sense.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:40 pm

It's all subjective.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:27 pm

I think the continuity has to come from those above the manager. The Lerner plan was to try and find one manager who would stay with us for 10 years - That didn't work - if it actually was a plan at all.

We are in the lower reaches of the old second division - To get back to top six prem, may take a succesion of managers each one doing there bit of the plan. Right now the target is to make us a credible force in this division, then the play offs, then promotion - we should have that or come pretty close by the end of next season. I think Brucey can deliver that bit. Its then up to round, wyness, little, to keep the plan on track - reviewing the manager position if progression flounders......

Much as I feel Bruce would be good for us - am I the only one who thinks there may be a few twists and turns before he is confirmed ? - It just seems a little odd he has gone public while still in the process ?
smetro
smetro

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:59 pm

I think Bruce's target will be to get into the play-offs this year and hope we can get over the line. IF we don't then he should be given a full campaign next season to really put his own things in place for a title push. But no doubt in my mind he'll be aiming for promotion this season and rightly so.

Also it appears that Phil Neville is following Dr Xia and Xia is following him. I wonder if Phil would be Bruce's assistant having performed that role at Valencia and been on the coaching staff at Everton?
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Bruce and Neville. Fuck me. I could never ever get behind that. Might as well get Giggs in there as well with his fergie approval. What a joke we are

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:22 pm

Joppe - chill out mate it ain't happened yet, open a Stella and let the merry go round continue.
Boldfinger

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Obviously, I mean OBVIOUSLY if Bruce does come in and do a great job I'll be the first one saying I wanted him from the start and he was always the right man for the job.

See I'm fickle like that haha.

Right, better get prepared - where's that "delete post" button ....

I'll just be glad it's not "No qualifications Sherwood"  - I've got a gas boiler at home with more certificates than that dimwit.
De Kuip
De Kuip

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:32 am

Joppe84 wrote:
But I have no doubt Steve Bruce can get us promoted, problem is that he offers no continuity. We have to sack him at promotion so we would be better off we gambling on unproven that's made the grade in the lower leagues.

This is how I've been looking at things, too. I'd very much like to have someone like a Pocchetino/Wagner who can come in and change things from the ground up with the assistance of Round and do it right. But the potential risk of not returning to the top flight by the end of next season is high. There are too many big teams down here that aren't getting back into the premier league and we need to do it sharpish for a multitude of reasons.

So my thinking now is to win and if that means winning ugly then so be it. It gives Xia/Wyness/Round a good 18 months to work on the assumption that we'll get promoted and that will give them a chance to scour the planet for the manager that best fits, approach them and their club with an offer and have things set up nicely for when they arrive.

Of course, this assumes that Bruce isn't up to the job of meeting Xia's long term ambitions - maybe with silly money he could be the greatest manager ever (after all, people are talking about Ryan Giggs and his time under Purple-Nose!). But I doubt he's the man for us if we bounce back.

So whilst I hope that we can get someone better, I'm prepared for Bruce. Tell you what though, I'd almost feel sorry for him as his honeymoon period would be 45 minutes I reckon. And I'm not even having a laugh with that. He could take Clarke's recommendations for the first game and at half time we could be 2-0 down and there would be scenes! Laughing
Trotters
Trotters

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:02 am

Can I be the first to say it?
Sack Bruce now!!!

Don't like him - never will. Filth connections notwithstanding

I'm sure I will be shouted down, but PLEASE be gentle THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 1401410211 THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 1401410211 THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 1401410211
WendyOz
WendyOz

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:48 am

Joppe84 wrote:
KMitch wrote:His transfer record overall has been pretty good  

I utterly disagree. He's fecking awful in the transfer market. With the exception of Scott Dann and Darren Bent, everything else he's touched has been utter turds.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steve-bruce/spielertransfers/trainer/447/plus/1?station_id=

He's woeful.

Once again, Joppe, you amaze me.  You post up this list and say the only two good signings in his entire career were those two???  I see all kinds of good signings on that list, for the clubs he managed at the time...

Gyan
Turner
Hernandez
Bent
Long
Dunn
Snodgrass
Muamba
Huddleston
Jerome
Dawson
Diame
Figueroa
Ridgwell
Davies
Mignolet
Brady
Elmohamady
Kelly
Larsson
Upson
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:22 am

KMitch wrote:

Once again, Joppe, you amaze me.  You post up this list and say the only two good signings in his entire career were those two???  I see all kinds of good signings on that list, for the clubs he managed at the time...

Gyan
Turner
Hernandez
Bent
Long
Dunn
Snodgrass
Muamba
Huddleston
Jerome
Dawson
Diame
Figueroa
Ridgwell
Davies
Mignolet
Brady
Elmohamady
Kelly
Larsson
Upson

You can add Valencia who was sold to Man Utd and Palacios was sold for good money to spurs too. Honestly I don't know how anyone can question the mans transfer record. For me there's been four "old school" managers who have been very good in the market. Rednkapp, Big Sam, Hughes and Bruce.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by worcesterkev Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:17 am

Hard to say who we want without knowing who is being interviewed. Regarding Bruce though he may turn out to be great. I think it is telling that he has worked wonders with teams who were average and not the best off financially, it seems to me he gets them to a stable position and then falls out with the owner and leaves. Maybe the owners ambition differed to his own, how can we say he could not take us all the way when he has never been given the opportunity to show he can. We have nothing to loose by giving him a chance as if the other names being banded about is true then he is the stand out candidate with a C.V that backs his claim.
worcesterkev

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:31 am

KMitch wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:
KMitch wrote:His transfer record overall has been pretty good  

I utterly disagree. He's fecking awful in the transfer market. With the exception of Scott Dann and Darren Bent, everything else he's touched has been utter turds.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steve-bruce/spielertransfers/trainer/447/plus/1?station_id=

He's woeful.

Gyan
Turner
Hernandez
Bent
Long
Dunn
Snodgrass
Muamba
Huddleston
Jerome
Dawson
Diame
Figueroa
Ridgwell
Davies
Mignolet
Brady
Elmohamady
Kelly
Larsson
Upson

It's not that difficult. We simply have different opinions on the matter. I'll give you Hernandez though, he's been decent.

Then again Bruce bought him ss a EPL striker, and Hernandez couldn't cut it before the championship. Maybe he's just shit as well. Or maybe Bruce didn't take into account that a SA striker often needs a bedding in period.

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:50 am

worcesterkev wrote:Hard to say who we want without knowing who is being interviewed. Regarding Bruce though he may turn out to be great. I think it is telling that he has worked wonders with teams who were average and not the best off financially, it seems to me he gets them to a stable position and then falls out with the owner and leaves. Maybe the owners ambition differed to his own, how can we say he could not take us all the way when he has never been given the opportunity to show he can. We have nothing to loose by giving him a chance as if the other names being banded about is true then he is the stand out candidate with a C.V that backs his claim.

Not exactly a dream appointment but for a club sitting in 19th place in the Championship it is just what we need. All these deluded fans calling for the likes of Wagner, Smith and Rowett, please show me exactly what they have achieved in management and prove how that is better than Potato Head's record! We have done young, exciting, wideboy, moody foreigner, CL winner and we are in the brown sticky stuff?

If it is Potato Head then maybe he is the best candidate out there for us in our current situation? I agree that if we were sitting 8th in the Premier League and wanted to push for top 6 then he is not the man but we are 19th in the second tier? We cannot take risks we need to go safe and boring and start moving up the table.

Someone mentioned Pochecttino and Wagner in the same sentence which is like comparing Mourhino to Joe Kinnear!

And if Joppe doesn't think that the current squad needs motivating then I'll have a rock of what he is smoking?

DelboyVilla

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:54 am

One big thing I think he COULD have in his favour is his "maturity". Dim Tim was young and fancied himself as a bit of a lad. Garde wasn't exactly an old head and I imagine felt a bit at home with the French lads. The corrupt prick had been around for too long and familiarity breeds contempt. RDM was young, too quiet and I can imagine a very nice man.

Bruce seems to have none of those characteristics. He shouldn't stand for any nonsense, won't have any kind of relationship with our current players so will manage "at arms length" and because he didn't sign any of our 428 strikers, shouldn't feel any obligation to play them all at the same time.

If I was Grealish, I'd be hugely concerned right now cuz if Potato Head gets the job, there's no way he'll put up with "Lee Hendie like" behavior, won't give a shit if hes VTID and will only pick players on how they apply themselves.

Goes without saying that Gabby is fucked from the get-go.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:42 am

Not sure about this but there's a tweet flying around from a Villa steward that the club will make a statement today at 10.30 regarding new manager.
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:47 am

Ooooh!
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:51 am

Speaking of tweets, I just read a thread saying that to make the playoffs we'll probably need about another 65 points. That's 1.85 per game.

Bruce collected an average 1.8 points per game last season and 1.7 points per game when runner up in 2012/13.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:55 am

Fpuppys wrote:Not sure about this but there's a tweet flying around from a Villa steward that the club will make a statement today at 10.30 regarding new manager.

Just saw it. Some bloke tacked onto the end of the conversation that he's heard it's Clarke.

Can't believe that. Not for a nano-second.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:54 am

DelboyVilla wrote:
worcesterkev wrote:Hard to say who we want without knowing who is being interviewed. Regarding Bruce though he may turn out to be great. I think it is telling that he has worked wonders with teams who were average and not the best off financially, it seems to me he gets them to a stable position and then falls out with the owner and leaves. Maybe the owners ambition differed to his own, how can we say he could not take us all the way when he has never been given the opportunity to show he can. We have nothing to loose by giving him a chance as if the other names being banded about is true then he is the stand out candidate with a C.V that backs his claim.

Not exactly a dream appointment but for a club sitting in 19th place in the Championship it is just what we need. All these deluded fans calling for the likes of Wagner, Smith and Rowett, please show me exactly what they have achieved in management and prove how that is better than Potato Head's record! We have done young, exciting, wideboy, moody foreigner, CL winner and we are in the brown sticky stuff?

If it is Potato Head then maybe he is the best candidate out there for us in our current situation? I agree that if we were sitting 8th in the Premier League and wanted to push for top 6 then he is not the man but we are 19th in the second tier? We cannot take risks we need to go safe and boring and start moving up the table.

Someone mentioned Pochecttino and Wagner in the same sentence which is like comparing Mourhino to Joe Kinnear!

And if Joppe doesn't think that the current squad needs motivating then I'll have a rock of what he is smoking?

I think deluded is a bit harsh Del, I'd like Someone like Wagner because he strikes me as someone a little bit different and fresh, but also competent. If Villa are to embark on a relationship with a new manager, and we  want it to be long term, I'd rather it be someone who's only just had their cherry popped by Huddersfield, not some old slapper who has been through more clubs than Lee Westwood. I'd like some originality. I'd like to consider that optimism rather than delusion.
Having said that if we appoint Clarke, Bruce would seem like Bill Shankly in comparison...... Laughing Laughing
De Kuip
De Kuip

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:44 am

Don't know why but I've got a feeling that it's going to be Clarke.
deadbuzzardalive

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:27 pm

THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 Img_2016
Later...
THE CASE FOR STEVE BRUCE - Page 3 Img_2015

lol! lol!
Trotters
Trotters