The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm.

+22
South London Villan
Dions_Bald_Head
Saunders82
GadgetMan
snitum
jeffvilla
FoxyAV
NARLA24
achilles
DomAVFC
avfc forever
Dazzle
Thinman
The Utterer
Spirit of Bosco Jankovic
Army villain
Villa_Dan
andrew24561
avfc85
thegaffer6
kimbo
villabromsgrove
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who's going to win this six pointer?

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap68%Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 68% 
[ 15 ]
Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap9%Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap23%Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 23% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 22

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 Empty Re: Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm.

Post by Saunders82 Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 pm

When you're playing well and your on the front foot creating chances, you have to keep it up, we always take a breather, when will we ever learn there's plenty of time for that after the final whistle.
Saunders82
Saunders82

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 Empty Re: Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm.

Post by Saunders82 Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Thinman wrote:Can't see us winning again this season. We're fecked.

False narrative my arris Mr Fox.

Can't agree with that, we do have it in us, we just have to find it consistently, which at present we don't do.
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 pm

kimbo wrote:As it's been brought up, I'm not sure tonight is the night for experimenting but I have said before on here, Twitter and in the pub (:)) that I believe Okore has all the makings of an outstanding defensive midfielder. What do you want in the ideal DM? Physically strong, good in the tackle, defensively minded, comfortable on the ball, can spot/play a good pass, quick across the ground. Check, check, check, check, check, check. With the right coaching he could be brilliant there. I could easily see next season a combination of him and say, Gary Gardner, as the two in in a 4-2-3-1, with Delph ahead of them. A bit like Mascherano/Alonso with Gerrard ahead of them when Benitez was at Liverpool. 

Won't happen though.

Anyway with the options available I'd have played three at the back against Man U and I would do that tonight but I am genuinely not sure that Sherwood has that in his locker. Or maybe he does but he's just concerned about tinkering too much. Which I can understand, but when Weimann and N'Zogbia are part of a 4-man midfield, I promise you Tim, you are fine to tinker away...

As for Gil, - and I know I sound like a broken record but I don't care; I have heard and read all sorts of explanations for his absence and I reject them all as not good enough - Sherwood made a point yesterday that we'd lost 7 on the spin with him in the team. Well whoopdifuckingwoo, we've been breaking loads of horrible records in recent of years with plenty of the current team, shall we sack 'em all off?

Oh and by the way, Gil has only played four times, so Sherwood is either just spouting bollocks and lies (like when he said he'd managed against Benteke) or he's blaming Gil for defeats before he'd fucking arrived.*

*Obviously I'm being more facetious than serious there!

He also indicated that he wasn't aware that Gil was doing well personally despite the results. Which means one of two things:

1) He is telling the truth. He genuinely doesn't know, he hasn't bothered watching any DVD's, and is basing Gil on 60 minutes against Stoke, despite being a player coming from Spain who has played his entire career there, had only been here a few weeks, and came across one of the most physical teams in the league where he struggled a bit. Well that's never happened before with foreign players has it! (For the record I also think it's turned into a little bit of a myth about how bad he was that day, he just didn't impose himself on the game as much as he had done in other matches); or

2) He's lying. He has seen the games, and he isn't picking Gil because either:
a) He doesn't think he's good enough; or
b) He thinks players like N'Zogbia or Joe Cole are more physically capable; or
c) He thinks the 'icing on the cake players' are more mentally capable; or
d) He just doesn't like him.

If I've missed something feel free to tell me, but each one of those explanations, be it one or a mix of them, is garbage. Utter ridiculous garbage.

Agree with pretty much all the above. I'm far from against sherwood (who could be, it's still too early) but I'm not rose tinted enough to call out what I think is a mistake. On the evidence we've seen of Gil he is clearly a talent, and his sudden disappearance from firstly the starting eleven and now the squad begs the question, why? I appreciate football is about opinions, but I'm of the opinion you have to be able to back up your arguments credibly. I don't think sherwood is doing that with Gil. I also think he has made mistakes in selection and tactics in 3 of the last four games. Just calling it how I see it, it's about Aston villa over any individual.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:07 pm

This is doing my nut year after year. I just want the season to be over - whichever way it pans out.

No
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Collymore got it spot on, our passing and attacking play at times is brilliant but our defending as a team is just extremely poor, the first goal I wouldn't see in Sunday league so bad!
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:17 pm

I thought Sanchez was both excellent and completely rubbish, we needed Westwood in that position, or Okore (please Tim, next season?). Grealish was good until they changed formation and he didn't seem to be working so well. Bacuna needs some more kicking practice (preferably with Sanchez), Richardson was fine going forward but absolutely terrible in defence and Gabby and especially Benteke are stepping up when we need them to. Just a shame we no longer have a functioning defence. I'd rather have Lowton back at LB if Cissokho isn't fit, at least the latter can defend even if his first touch and cross into the box is almost as bad as Guzan's long balls.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:28 pm

Yet again when the opposition change formation we struggle. As soon as they had the extra man in midfield we lost impetus.
Cole was dangerous when he came on but the front two were half a yard too slow by then.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm fucking frustrated. I didn't think you could fault any player bar 1 - Richardson. He was atrocious. And Sherwood left him on the pitch.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by DomAVFC Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:44 pm

The fact of the matter is we CAN still win games; we've proven that against Albion (twice in a week) and Sunderland, who we utterly spanked. Of course, a lot will depend on how the teams near us do between now and the end of the season. I feel that QPR made up for their inferiority to us in terms of individual player quality with a scrappy, never-say-die attitude. That said, I thought at the start of the season that QPR would be safe this season, perhaps they still will be. Sunderland's and Hull's run-ins don't look very pleasant at all. UTV! Scarf Waving
DomAVFC
DomAVFC

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Must beat Everton and get at least a point against Spurs
South London Villan
South London Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazrim Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm not sure what just happened. Very bizarre. I have to say we look a very good team going forward but there are fundamental problems. We have one player you could rely on to finish chances and we're quite brittle at the back again.

However, Lamberts Villa would have lost that. No doubt in my mind. There is some admirable quality in our play and some measure of spirit. We're also wretched with injury problems and the energy levels dropped a bit at times because the same players have to keep at it. I don't understand the Gil situation but, whatever.

I still think we'll have enough to stay up, but who knows. This week has been crazy.
I'm still looking at Hull, wondering where their next point is coming from. It may be our saving grace. Or we may be well clear by the end of the season.

Get enough players back and cut out a couple of stupid errors a game and we can easily climb free,
Should have won that one though. Not sure how we didn't. We comfortably the better side.
Mazrim
Mazrim

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:52 am

Richardson should never play for Villa again...send him to Blouse. He's always been dire IMO.
I like Cissokho, don't always trust Lowton, and I want to see what Gil gives us when given the chance. Tim ...are you listening?
WendyOz
WendyOz

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:37 am

That was probably the easiest fixture of our remaining games, we played well enough to have won but lapses of concentration caught us out yet again.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 am

I fear a point isn't enough , but, 2-3 down with 12min to go i would of settled for a point , good game though !
Chap that sits next to me in The Holte heard that Gil was seen leaving VP hurriedly in his motor , so i presume there has been some spat , Sherwood obviously dosen't rate him !

I think Sherwood missed in a trick in not exploiting Kranjaer & Hill down their left hand side , my 77 year old mom could of done them for pace !

I just hope we are still in touching distance come survival Sunday , it may come down to what points the other stragglers don't get rather than our own haul ! UTV !
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great white walnut Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:00 am

I thought that, apart from a flat spell in the second half and some shaky defending / good finishing from them , we played with purpose and skill and looked the better team. QPR had all the momentum coming into the game and credit to the lads for not giving in and hitting back for a point.
The Great white walnut
The Great white walnut

Aston Villa v QPR Tuesday 7th April 7.45pm. - Page 3 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:18 am

I'm more positive this morning. Clark - either with Vlaar or Okore - has steadied the defence this year, especially after Cissokho came in and started to do a good job (not amazing, but when was the last time we had a good LB?) and then Hutton put in a few storming performances on the right. That's why we had such a good defence (ok, maybe because we had three defensive midfielders in front of them under Lambert) and by taking it apart and playing players out of position it's where a lot of it has gone wrong. We don't have a reserve LB, Bennett is at Brighton and Luna is somewhere abroad. Lewis Kinsella has gone on loan to Luton. Bacuna has been doing a good job as a midfielder (and was needed at RB last night) and the best player we've had playing out of position at LB has been Lowton. Either two or all three of the goals last night came from poor defending by either Richardson or Bacuna. Two players played out of position. Would Hutton or Cissokho have done better? I think yes. Richardson I just don't get. He should never ever play LB again and while he's ok in midfield I can think of lots of players I'd rather see there.

Back to being positive, Benteke is doing a great job, Gabby is back in form causing the opposition problems and Grealish gets better with every game, he really needs a goal.

I can't help think that Guzan looks like he needs a rest and probably shouldn't play at Wembley either. His long kicks continue to be woeful, it's just lucky Benteke is in form and can get around (why did people keep aiming long balls at Grealish last night, that's not his game and he wasn't winning them). I also think we need to stick with Guzan through thick or thin and see where we are next year. I don't like the idea of unsettling players doing a good job but can't help think we could do better.

Overall though not a disastrous night, we deprived QPR of an extra two points and we have Benteke back to form again, finally!
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:46 pm

If our next two matches weren't away to Spurs and Man C, I'd feel a bit better about us picking up a point for a draw. Foxy has just pointed out the most positive things about last night .... at least we stopped QPR closing on us, and Benteke's smiling again.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:54 pm

I just had to stop myself from chewing out a Villa fan for saying "Richardson played alright" He was crap. Dire. Woeful.

But the fans who booed him during the match need a fucking slap.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Totally agree with you Villa Dan. We all could see that he was playing crap but you don't boo your own players even if they are playing dire. I am sure Richardson knew he was having a mare, and not playing for some weeks did not help his cause.
Ok so where to go from now. Spurs at the weekend and Manure city the following week. If we keep up performance levels and taking into account that Sherwood would love to stuff spurs I think we may get a draw. Spurs were dreadful against Burnley, with City imploding I am hoping we don't get hammered.   UTV Scarf Waving
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:22 pm

We're just our own worst enemy.

The header from Bacuna back into the box that lead to their first goal would have been disgusting if it was a Sunday morning match.

Not having anyone on the posts for corners is the single most ridiculous basic that we get wrong, and it lead to their second goal - I don't know if that comes from the coaches or Guzan, but either way they need to fix the fuck up.

Richardson's overall performance was down there with Luna, Bennett, Warnock, Shorey and any other horrible left backs I've seen us play, and in particular his 'defending' for the third goal was woefully embarrassing.

All very, very, VERY preventable goals. But because we fucked up royally, we failed to win the game.

We should still be fine but make no mistake about it, we don't deserve to be, and we still might not be. The summer can not come quick enough, and overhauls need to be happening.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:55 pm

Who said we are not up for it, we were last night, lambert in charge last night we would have lost.
Agree with post about Richardson should never have played.
We lost the game due to silly defending.
Hope we have some more players back for the next game.
Tim got the team going and the fans, need to put in more games like that without the bad defending.
I just hope Bentake keeps his cool, and just score goals, do not let spuds players wind him up.
Up the villa its in our hands to stay up.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:56 pm

agreed Dan , booing Richardson accomplished nothing , and a note to Mr Sherwood, Leandro Bacuna is not a full back !

But onwards we go , a draw is better than a defeat , don't expect anything from the Spuds or Citeh , but you never know!

PS, where is Senderos ?
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:15 pm

On a positive note, attacking wise we were better. There's more to come from Grealish but he did well, the occasion could have got the better of him. 

I'm not saying Benteke isn't playing better personally, but I was continually dumbfounded by people who couldn't see that the way we were playing under Lambert was not the thing to do with Benteke in the team. Yes, have possession, all the best teams do - but they make it purposeful! The fact that people were talking about getting rid of him was frightening, and sadly I suspect they will get their wish because I can't see him putting up with Villa any more.

I could be wrong, but if he is still here next season, I'd suggest that will only be because certain positive things have happened at our club.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:20 pm

The booing of Richardson reminded me of Warnock a few years back when he scored an own goal. These players know they're playing badly or fucked up, but there's still time on the clock and they're still in our colours, so why boo them? If they decided to down tools would they be happy? Some fans genuinely need a check up. It genuinely angered me.

The positives: Grealish had his most effective game to date and I think it'll give him confidence. Benteke looked like the Beast we know he can be. Gabby is still playing better under Sherwood than he ever did for Lambo. Clark continues to impress. Joe Cole can be effective in the last 20mins of games IMO as he still has the best footballing brain in our squad outside of Benteke
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:The booing of Richardson reminded me of Warnock a few years back when he scored an own goal. These players know they're playing badly or fucked up, but there's still time on the clock and they're still in our colours, so why boo them? If they decided to down tools would they be happy? Some fans genuinely need a check up. It genuinely angered me.

The positives: Grealish had his most effective game to date and I think it'll give him confidence. Benteke looked like the Beast we know he can be. Gabby is still playing better under Sherwood than he ever did for Lambo. Clark continues to impress. Joe Cole can be effective in the last 20mins of games IMO as he still has the best footballing brain in our squad outside of Benteke
I think Carles Gil might have something to say about that last bit but I suppose you did say 'in our squad'  Laughing

Completely agree on the booing. I'm not into the 'better-fan-than-you' arguments because peoples situations are so subjective, but anyone who boos like last night is being a fucking moron.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next