The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Director of Football

+16
avfc85
ember
Mr_Spadge
Broadlee
UnclePanda
snitum
South London Villan
Trotters
achilles
GadgetMan
gdav
kimbo
DaveAV1
mefromhere
Villa_Dan
villabromsgrove
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Director of Football - Page 2 Empty Director of football

Post by Broadlee Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:29 pm

UnclePanda wrote:Ill throw a name out there, either as (ok probably short term) new boss or DOF - Dick Advocaat. He knows the game, bags of experience, available...
I have heard that Tom Fox has spoken with Big Ron about the role of DOF!
Has anyone else heard this?
Broadlee
Broadlee

Director of Football - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Director of Football - Page 2 Empty Re: Director of Football

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Broadlee wrote:
UnclePanda wrote:Ill throw a name out there, either as (ok probably short term) new boss or DOF - Dick Advocaat. He knows the game, bags of experience, available...
We've heard from a couple of different sources that the recruitment of a DoF is being handled by a professional head hunting company in line with our recent recruiting policy under Tom Fox. I'm guessing they're looking for an energetic experienced guy, with a book full of current European contacts, which would tend to rule out older ex Villa types. Only my own opinion, but based on things I've heard recently.
villabromsgrove

Director of Football - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:52 am

Broadlee wrote:

Andy Gray suggested that as an option on the podcast he did with Jonny Gould (a decent listen by the way) and I believe Ron was at the Liverpool game.

However, I think that is probably people putting 2+2 together to make 58.

If there is any truth in it (I don't believe there is), then you have to wonder did it come about just because Andy Gray suggested it?!  :shock:
kimbo
kimbo

Director of Football - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:28 am

Just out of interest, what do we expect the director of football to do?

For me, I'd want someone who has been a manager with an element of success at a respectable standard, has good connections and can make an impact through the club from top to bottom.

I see this as a list of duties:

1) First and foremost, they should work closely with the manager, academy staff and scouting network on implementing a philosophy of football that is reflected throughout all age groups in the club from senior side downwards, in order to help with continuity of players progressing through to the first team, as well as setting a standard for the type of players that we bring in, be they ready for the first team or much younger.

2) Operate as a link between the chairman/chief executive and the manager; set expectation levels on what the manager needs, but also ensure that the manager is working within acceptable guidelines - essentially, no MON type situations with on high wages on too many average players etc - and playing the lead part in our efforts in the transfer market - but very much in tow with what the manager wants too.

3) Develop a partnership with the chief executive that aids the image of the club; ensuring that everything we do both off and on the pitch reflect the same levels of ambition, the same standards of professionalism and the same positive standing that a club as big as Aston Villa should be undertaking.

Essentially, I see that as the role. If we were getting a big takeover (y'know, with lots of cash!) I could easily see that being introduced and being a massively important position.

But right now, under Randy Lerner, unless someone can come in and do a solid job on all 3 of those aspects - which would essentially be revolutionising a massive percentage of all things Aston Villa - then I'm not entirely sure what we're hoping to achieve with one.

It's intriguing though, that's for sure.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:39 pm

kimbo wrote:Just out of interest, what do we expect the director of football to do?

For me, I'd want someone who has been a manager with an element of success at a respectable standard, has good connections and can make an impact through the club from top to bottom.

I see this as a list of duties:

1) First and foremost, they should work closely with the manager, academy staff and scouting network on implementing a philosophy of football that is reflected throughout all age groups in the club from senior side downwards, in order to help with continuity of players progressing through to the first team, as well as setting a standard for the type of players that we bring in, be they ready for the first team or much younger.

2) Operate as a link between the chairman/chief executive and the manager; set expectation levels on what the manager needs, but also ensure that the manager is working within acceptable guidelines - essentially, no MON type situations with on high wages on too many average players etc - and playing the lead part in our efforts in the transfer market - but very much in tow with what the manager wants too.

3) Develop a partnership with the chief executive that aids the image of the club; ensuring that everything we do both off and on the pitch reflect the same levels of ambition, the same standards of professionalism and the same positive standing that a club as big as Aston Villa should be undertaking.

Essentially, I see that as the role. If we were getting a big takeover (y'know, with lots of cash!) I could easily see that being introduced and being a massively important position.

But right now, under Randy Lerner, unless someone can come in and do a solid job on all 3 of those aspects - which would essentially be revolutionising a massive percentage of all things Aston Villa - then I'm not entirely sure what we're hoping to achieve with one.

It's intriguing though, that's for sure.
Good post Kimbo, DoF is probably one of the most elastic posts in football. It can be as inconsequential as a go between, or it can stretch to be a General manager or Sporting director. I guess we won't know for sure until we appoint someone.

When I think of a DoF someone like Frank Arnesen springs to mind (I believe he's available), with a lifetime of football experience and an endless contacts list. At the other extreme someone like Cortese would micro manage every aspect of the football side of the club, to a degree where a head coach rather than a manager could be employed. (I'm not advocating Cortese by the way, as the guy has a reputation for being divisive.)

I hope we don't bring in a Villa "name" because we need someone with fresh up to date ideas and contacts.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Bit more info.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-searching-director-football-8482529

Aston Villa are searching for a director of football operations as they continue to revamp the support networks around boss Paul Lambert.

Chief executive Tom Fox has created the role as part of his on-going plan to improve the major departments that surround the manager at Villa Park.

The club are also closing in on the appointments of a chief commercial officer and a new head of media while a massive overhaul of the academy and the scouting system is already underway.

Ideally Villa are aiming to fill the position by the summer to ensure the new man is settled in for the start of next season.

Lambert is expected to play a part in the eventual appointment and is likely to help identify some of the roles that he will undertake.

That the club are involving him in such talks suggest that both Fox and owner Randy Lerner are still fully behind him despite Villa’s chronic lack of goals and their slide down the Premier League table.

At Bodymoor Heath business is as usual ahead of the fourth round FA Cup clash with Bournemouth on Sunday but there is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes.

The decision to create the director of football operations position is part of Fox’s long-term vision to help the club prosper.

He told the Birmingham Mail last month that he predicts success in three-to-five years time and in the five months he has been at the club there has been plenty of change.

His plan to hire slick, experienced, professionals who have a history of getting results is slowly starting to take shape and in time the results should show.

Having enjoyed a productive period at Arsenal, the savvy American has started to implement some of the success stories that he witnessed in north London.

The chief commercial officer role was the post he held at the Emirates Stadium and Villa should have that position filled in a matter of months.

Yoann Copreaux, the new head of business strategy, was brought in late last year and is said to have made an impressive start to his time in the Midlands.

The changes in the academy also bode well for the future.

Unlike at other clubs the director of football role will not be heavily centred around identifying and purchasing players.

Villa feel that with new director of recruitment Paddy Reilly already doing a decent job at Bodymoor Heath there is little need to add another commanding head to that section.

Instead, Fox is thought to want someone who can look critically at areas such as sports medicine, data analysis and athletic performance to ensure the claret and blues are reaching their maximum potential.

While the exact duties are not yet clear, it’s thought that a new arrival would not come in and under-cut any football responsibilities that the manager is in charge of.

That would mean no interfering with the squad, team selection and game-based issues.

Villa may be struggling on the pitch but they are certainly hiring good people to take care of the backroom matters.   

At present the need for an assistant manager is not thought to be a serious concern.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Ignore my previous post. it seems that Villa have a different idea of what a DoF should be. If the Birmingham Mail is correct our DoF will only have oversight of areas outside the Manager's remit. Sports medicine, data analysis, athletic performance etc. Unlike over clubs the DoF would not be involved in identifying and purchasing players, Paddy Reilly will still have overall responsibility for recruitment.

This sounds more like we are looking for a Sporting Director, rather than a DoF. It will be interesting to see how it works in practice.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by gdav Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:10 pm

The only way a DOF would be a good apointment would be if they decided on tactics, picked the team, decided substitutions & picked formations...... Also they could make the tea Very Happy
gdav
gdav

Director of Football - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Spadge Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 am

gdav wrote:The only way a DOF would be a good apointment would be if they decided on tactics, picked the team, decided substitutions & picked formations...... Also they could make the tea Very Happy

I was thinking all that Lambert would be left with was making the Tea...

But you're right, I wouldn't trust him with even that.

Lambert: "Mumble mumble if we keep doing what we're doing, I'm sure the teabag will end up in the cup evenetually"
Mr_Spadge

Back to top Go down

Post by ember Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:23 pm

This talk of a "DOF" is doing nothing to improve my confidence in things improving. If it's true Lamberk is involved and the DOF isn't going to be doing the things a traditional holder of such a role would do, then it's a big "Meh" from me.

If he was being brought in against Lamberk's wishes, being imposed upon him and thereby undermining his authority I would be happier. He might be more inclined to throw the towel in and fuck off. As it stands, he's going to carry on doing his sticking like shit to a woolen blanket act.
ember
ember

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Peter O'Rourke from Sky tweeted were looking to hire Liam Dawlson from Watford. He was appointed Sporting Director there in Septemeber (there's an article on our twitter feed re his background etc) I can't link to it just now. It doesn't mention a specific role, but says to "help with player recruitment"

I'm guessing this wouldn't be the DOF appointment, but further evidence of adding to the infrastructure that has been mentioned on here a few times, as well as recently by T Fox.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Yeah I saw that. It's interesting. But then I think Arsenal are fantastically well run so Fox is coming from a great environment for us to learn from.

(The downside is 'how they stick by their manager' is another aspect he has probably picked up but that's by the by)

Of course, this all needs to translate to the pitch or it's pointless.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:35 pm

I am quite excited with all the on going changes in staff, I have said for years we needed a shakeup and it finally looks like it is happening.
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:26 pm

avfc85 wrote:I am quite excited with all the on going changes in staff, I have said for years we needed a shakeup and it finally looks like it is happening.
I completely agree, I know a lot of people aren't convinced about Tom Fox - and until we see significant changes I can see why people feel like that - but personally I think he seems to be doing what he can to have things in place that will help us progress.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by lukevilla Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:52 pm

I like tom fox but if Lambert has to be here why hasent he still got an assistance?!
lukevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:08 pm

That, Luke, is a very good question. Not sure that's TF's fault as I think PL has made that choice, but it's still a bloody good question.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:17 pm

Lambert is in charge of all first team football related matters at the moment apart from recruitment which is Reilly's area, but even then PL has the final say on a target before RL decides on whether it's financially okay.

Therefore if PL doesn't want an assistant or a new first team coach at the moment it's his decision. That's my reading of the current decision making process at AVFC currently. Maybe things will change this Summer.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:08 am

Has Phelan been snapped up by anyone yet as coach?
Morpheus
Morpheus

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:32 am

Morpheus wrote:Has Phelan been snapped up by anyone yet as coach?
Very recently joined Hull I believe dude. I'd have loved him at Villa though. By various accounts he seems like a genuinely nice man for one thing, which is quite different to Lambo's last 2 assistants, but he's achieved enough with Fergie that I'm sure he commands respect in a different way. Which I said a while ago is what I'd like to see from the next appointment - someone who can command the respect of the players without having to resort to any bully boy nonsense.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:46 am

I wonder whether Lambert's reluctance to appoint a coach/assistant is that he's still evolving our style of play. We've gone from awful hoofball with very little possession to sideways and backwards tippy tappy with loads of possession, and now we're trying to integrate the two extremes into a more risky system that will hopefully lead to a lot more shots from in and around the box.

If you haven't settled on a method of play, then finding the right individual to coach that system would be problematical.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:52 am

Would a top coach not be helpful and indeed instrumental in finding that style VB?
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:55 am

You took the words right out of my mouth Dave  :)

I guess it's whether Lambert feels he can get the right calibre in, I dunno, but clearly he's happy enough at the moment for whatever reason
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:18 pm

I wonder whether there's a bit of arrogance involved. He want's to be the man to nail down the type of football that saves us and takes us forward. If he appointed a new coach/assistant at this moment, any improvement would be attributed to the new guy.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Interesting way of looking at it VB.

I genuinely think he just might not be overly enamoured with any of the current options, so is holding out for the right candidate. I guess I can forgive him for being a bit sheepish about it after the way the last two have ended - and no-one can convince me that the reasons given by the club were the reality of the situation, even if it wasn't as bad as any of the rumours that went around.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:01 pm

I opined recently, that the reason neither RL or PL had a proper support team around them was that they lacked the self confidence to back their own judgements and didn't want their faults and failings to be shown up by any big hitters on their team.

It seems RL has changed tack, probably as he realises things couldn't go on as they are, whether he wants to stay or sell. I'm not sure if PL is ready to do the same. However in his defence, he's never afraid to change policy.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next