The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Director of Football

+16
avfc85
ember
Mr_Spadge
Broadlee
UnclePanda
snitum
South London Villan
Trotters
achilles
GadgetMan
gdav
kimbo
DaveAV1
mefromhere
Villa_Dan
villabromsgrove
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Director of Football Empty Director of Football

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:25 pm

MYOLDMANSAID (the blog) .... said today that it has heard that Tom Fox is considering appointing a DOF. What do you guys think about a DOF?
villabromsgrove

Director of Football 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Director of Football Empty Re: Director of Football

Post by Villa_Dan Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:32 pm

I haven't always been a fan of having a DOF but it would give this club some vital knowledge of the game at the higher levels. Someone like Houllier would be great IMO
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by mefromhere Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Not for me. The manager should have full control over the football side of the club. It's just unfortunate that our manager isn't fit for that purpose.
mefromhere
mefromhere

Director of Football 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:58 pm

At the moment there is only one person in the management chain with any actual football experience. I would imagine that there are very few knowledgeable football related discussions going on at AVFC on a day to day basis. Surely on that basis alone we would benefit from an experienced DoF.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:16 pm

It's at least a change. I was never a DOF fan, but looking at the continuity that some clubs have managed, Swansea and Southampton particularly spring to mind I may be a convert. The status quo certainly isn't the answer.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:33 pm

In theory, I'm against it. But looking at the club and rationally analysing where we are, I think it could be good for us. I'm not sure it will be good for Lambert but frankly that's not something I'm worried about it - and if it genuinely helps him, then it helps Villa and that's a good thing.
kimbo
kimbo

Director of Football 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 pm

it might help him out of the door Kimbo Very Happy
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:39 pm

If we get a genuine big hitter, then that tells us that there's hope. If it's a lame duck then we're just continuing to fiddle about and getting nowhere.

Jurgen Klinsmann anyone?
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by gdav Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:16 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:If we get a genuine big hitter, then that tells us that there's hope. If it's a lame duck then we're just continuing to fiddle about and getting nowhere.

Jurgen Klinsmann anyone?

I'd have him as manager & DOF, history of restructuring clubs.
gdav
gdav

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Well perhaps, and this is just a theory of course, the DOF could be the manager in waiting. Lerner may have made certain promises to Lambert about his job being safe and insists that Fox sticks to this. So in order to get around this, but at the same time get us out of this managerial mess, we appoint a DOF who in reality is the manager in all but name.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:44 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:If we get a genuine big hitter, then that tells us that there's hope. If it's a lame duck then we're just continuing to fiddle about and getting nowhere.

Jurgen Klinsmann anyone?

YES PLEASE!! He can manage and bring in another German great, Hitzfeld? To be Sporting Director/DOF Simple ha!
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:52 pm

As far as I am concerned any change is GOOD change!

The club is in a right mess and needs radical surgery!
achilles
achilles

Director of Football 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:01 pm

achilles wrote:As far as I am concerned any change is GOOD change!

The club is in a right mess and needs radical surgery!

Agreed, needs extensive open heart type surgery
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:52 pm

I've always been in favour of a DoF provided it's someone with a long-term vision for a club but who has the flexibility to change with new trends when they occur. Or, better still, someone who can predict and set new trends.

If the club have pushed the boat out in search of such a man then it could well be one of four things:

(a) a last ditch attempt by Lambert to save his own arse.
(b) an attempt by the club to take control away from Lambert in order to convince him to walk away.
(c) the club accepting that they desperately need a football man on board to point us in the right direction.
(d) instruction from a new owner (which could also encompass a, b and c above).
Trotters
Trotters

Director of Football 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 am

Trotters wrote:I've always been in favour of a DoF provided it's someone with a long-term vision for a club but who has the flexibility to change with new trends when they occur. Or, better still, someone who can predict and set new trends.

If the club have pushed the boat out in search of such a man then it could well be one of four things:

(a) a last ditch attempt by Lambert to save his own arse.
(b) an attempt by the club to take control away from Lambert in order to convince him to walk away.
(c) the club accepting that they desperately need a football man on board to point us in the right direction.
(d) instruction from a new owner (which could also encompass a, b and c above).

I definitely like that particular option but they all seem plausible!
achilles
achilles

Director of Football 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:03 am

At this moment in time, the right appointment could be what is needed. However those choosing the DOF, I have no faith in them appointing the right man.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 am

I've noticed that we don't tend to advertise and appoint in house any more. We out source senior appointments to professional head hunting operations. In theory this should mean that capable people are chosen.

On the subject of a DOF we have to remember that this is an unsubstantiated rumour, but we have heard it from two different (good) sources. If we do appoint a DoF it will take some of the pressure off Paul Lambert. The majority of fans have run out of patience with PL, but it appears that those that make Villa decisions haven't.

I know that there is a feeling of collective responsibility for our current position among the people that matter. That feeling is that the problems we have been facing lately are not the fault of one man, but are the result of a collective effort, years in the making.

The appointment of an experienced DoF would go some way to helping our beleaguered manager, but in my opinion the appointment of a really good first team coach (who knows how to coach goal scoring football) is perhaps more important in the short term. We have to survive in order for long term plans to have any meaning.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:26 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:I've noticed that we don't tend to advertise and appoint in house any more. We out source senior appointments to professional head hunting operations. In theory this should mean that capable people are chosen.

On the subject of a DOF we have to remember that this is an unsubstantiated rumour, but we have heard it from two different (good) sources. If we do appoint a DoF it will take some of the pressure off Paul Lambert. The majority of fans have run out of patience with PL, but it appears that those that make Villa decisions haven't.

I know that there is a feeling of collective responsibility for our current position among the people that matter. That feeling is that the problems we have been facing lately are not the fault of one man, but are the result of a collective effort, years in the making.

The appointment of an experienced DoF would go some way to helping our beleaguered manager, but in my opinion the appointment of a really good first team coach (who knows how to coach goal scoring football) is perhaps more important in the short term. We have to survive in order for long term plans to have any meaning.
Definitely. I want new coaching staff in ASAP. If a new DoF is on the way, that can genuinely wait until end of the season. Getting in people that can help turn possession football into something that's actually useful and productive is pretty much needed right now.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Perhaps the plan is DoF who then has a role in appointing an assistant to PL? Either way I agree a decent coach would probably have a more immediate effect.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:39 pm

I think like Kimbo has said a DoF would be appointed for this summer, a really good coach is needed now.

I don't think we've had a really good coach at Villa for some considerable time.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 pm

To be honest, the last time I really enjoyed watching us play football on a consistent weekly basis was under Brian Little, which speaks volumes.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:51 pm

kimbo wrote:To be honest, the last time I really enjoyed watching us play football on a consistent weekly basis was under Brian Little, which speaks volumes.
You're right, it was a golden period through the big Ron and Sir Brian days. Loved it! Director of Football 3769219917
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by snitum Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:44 pm

What would be terrible is if Lambert gets "promoted" to DoF and a docile head coach gets appointed.
snitum

Director of Football 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:07 am

snitum wrote:What would be terrible is if Lambert gets "promoted" to DoF and a docile head coach gets appointed.

Oh, no, I hadn't considered that. Expect the unexpected, that is the way of this club. We get an American sports franchise owner with a history of failure, UTV.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by UnclePanda Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Ill throw a name out there, either as (ok probably short term) new boss or DOF - Dick Advocaat. He knows the game, bags of experience, available...
UnclePanda
UnclePanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum