The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Philippe Senderos

+33
NARLA24
Trotters
lukevilla
mickeywya
GodzoneVilla
pcfbavfcoman
KMitch
My Old Man
River
Green Villan
EbeneezerGoode
erdingtonb24
CoE82
BigKev67
TheBadger
heystally!
Rotterdam82
Classof13
Aesorian
Roncrete
COE1982
Andy_Villa
Thinman
Olof Mellberg
TheTechniqueSMC
Wookster
Sceptical Villan
HarryAVFC
VillaBill
thegaffer6
Jim
FoxyAV
switters
37 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Philippe Senderos - Page 2 Empty Re: Philippe Senderos

Post by Guest Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 pm

I think it's a decent squad signing to be honest. Okore and Vlaar first choice and now an established pro to deputise. What's wrong with that?

Last year I was alarmed by how slow Baker has been to develop. He is still making the same mistakes as he was when he first came through. To me, Clark has improved a little bit and is more versatile. I'd think about trying to flog Baker...

Last edited by Farrell_10 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sceptical Villan Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:I think it's a decent squad signing to be honest. Okore and Vlaar first choice and now an established pro to deputise.

What's wrong with that?

Exactly! Good bit of business I think but I think there are some that are genuinely expecting to see us land the likes of Joleon Lescott  Laughing 
Sceptical Villan
Sceptical Villan

Philippe Senderos - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Sceptical Villan wrote:
Farrell_10 wrote:I think it's a decent squad signing to be honest. Okore and Vlaar first choice and now an established pro to deputise.

What's wrong with that?

Exactly! Good bit of business I think but I think there are some that are genuinely expecting to see us land the likes of Joleon Lescott  Laughing 

I think Lescott is probably past it and for the wages he'd want is he really worth it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sceptical Villan Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Philippe Senderos a man who has played for AC Milan, Arsenal and Valencia deemed not good enough for Aston Villa!

Deary me
Sceptical Villan
Sceptical Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy_Villa Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Sceptical Villan wrote:
Andy_Villa wrote:Some of us make up our own minds based on what we see...

I see that he is stronger than Baker and Clark, cheap, experienced and does a job until the takeover settles.

Outside the box Andy, think outside the box!

I have always believed Senderos to be a shit footballer & a poor defender. He fills me with no confidence that our defence will improve with him in it. The circumstance of his signing is up for discussion, (I believe Senderos & Keane are a sign that a takeover is not close, but thats for the takeover thread), but it will not change my view that he is a very poor signing & a sad indictment of where we are...

If he comes in, plays well & improves us, I will be more than happy to eat my words with a side salad of humility, & no one will be happier to have been proven wrong than I will...

But until then, my viewpoint stands & it is as valid as an opposing view.
Andy_Villa
Andy_Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sceptical Villan Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Andy_Villa wrote:
Sceptical Villan wrote:

I see that he is stronger than Baker and Clark, cheap, experienced and does a job until the takeover settles.

I have always believed Senderos to be a shit footballer & a poor defender. He fills me with no confidence that our defence will improve with him in it. The circumstance of his signing is up for discussion, (I believe Senderos & Keane are a sign that a takeover is not close, but thats for the takeover thread), but it will not change my view that he is a very poor signing & a sad indictment of where we are...

If he comes in, plays well & improves us, I will be more than happy to eat my words with a side salad of humility, & no one will be happier to have been proven wrong than I will...

But until then, my viewpoint stands...

Fair play buddy, I respect that.

UTV
Sceptical Villan
Sceptical Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncrete Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:
Sceptical Villan wrote:

What's wrong with that?

I think Lescott is probably past it and for the wages he'd want is he really worth it?

I would rather have Lescott in the back four than Senderos based on ability, I don't think Lescott is past it at the age of 31 as most centre half's don't tend to reach their peak until the age range of 28-32.
Roncrete
Roncrete

Back to top Go down

Post by switters Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Sceptical Villan wrote:Philippe Senderos a man who has played for AC Milan, Arsenal and Valencia deemed not good enough for Aston Villa!

Deary me

on the flipside, Fulham deemed him not good enough to hold onto when they let him go out on loan despite being in the midst of a relegation battle last season.

from my experience of watching Senderos, I'd say he's a Vlaar-type defender but with the brain of Baker (i.e. can look solid for 80 mins then cost you a goal with a moment of stupidity).

I'd not look forward to seeing our defence if he was the experienced head alongside Clark/Baker. hopefully Vlaar will stay fit and Okore will turn out to be the player we all hope he will be & then I don't have to worry about such possibilities
switters

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesorian Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Honestly, I don't think he's too bad of a signing. Not the greatest player but someone with a bit of experience and something to prove. He's had spells wheres he's looked good, partnering Kolo Toure in Arsenals 2006 run to the Champions League final, where he was part of a back 4 that kept 10 consecutive clean sheets, and in the 2006 world cup where he was part of the Swiss back four that that didn’t let in a single goal in the whole tournament (They got knocked out on penalty's in the last 16). Of course that was a while ago, so he may not regain those lofty heights, but given a run of games and treated right the worst we'll get out of him is an experienced head to work with the younger players.

I'd have preferred Hangeland, but like with Lescott, you'd risk ostracizing Okore, as he turned down big money from Chelsea to play first team football. I'd rather we not end up with another Gary Cahill situation because we want a 30+ year old to play instead.
Aesorian
Aesorian

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Asked my boss, who is as reasonable as you can get for an Arsenal Fan, about Senderos... This is his response:

"I liked him and was sad to see him go. Great in the air and always seemed to win every header near him. Just don't leave him on an island or you're in for trouble."

I'm happy with him on a free transfer. Baker isn't good enough, and Clark is hit and miss for me. He'll battle it out with Okore for the No 2 spot. You can't be that bad if you've played for Milan and Valencia after you left Arsenal.
KMitch
KMitch

Philippe Senderos - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Classof13 Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:47 am

Not and ideal signing but I'm willing to give Senderos a chance, after all he must be better than Clark and Baker. Hopefully Okore will fulfil his early promise and Vlaar can concentrate on his own game rather than have to worry about Clark and Baker making mistakes and being out of position.
Classof13
Classof13

Back to top Go down

Post by GodzoneVilla Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:58 am

KMitch wrote:Asked my boss, who is as reasonable as you can get for an Arsenal Fan, about Senderos...  This is his response:

"I liked him and was sad to see him go.  Great in the air and always seemed to win every header near him.  Just don't leave him on an island or you're in for trouble."

I'm happy with him on a free transfer.  Baker isn't good enough, and Clark is hit and miss for me.  He'll battle it out with Okore for the No 2 spot.  You can't be that bad if you've played for Milan and Valencia after you left Arsenal.  

This for me. I struggle to think of someone who is available on a free for what is probably reasonable wages that would strengthen an area where we had weekly horrors with Baker and Clark. Wages are always gonna kill us trying to sign the likes of Lescott. Imho Senderos is the best our club could hope for in its current predicament.
GodzoneVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotterdam82 Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:13 am

Be still my beating heart.
Rotterdam82

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy_Villa Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:21 am

Sceptical Villan wrote:
Andy_Villa wrote:
Sceptical Villan wrote:

But until then, my viewpoint stands...

Fair play buddy, I respect that.

UTV

Thanks dude. I do genuinely hope that you are correct.

UTV
Andy_Villa
Andy_Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotterdam82 Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:26 am

My biggest concern is this shows us one of two things:

A) Clark/Baker will be used as left back next season
B) One of Vlaar/Okore/Baker/Clark will be gone - hopefully one of latter pair
Rotterdam82

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:42 am

Well as Vlaar has one more year on his contract I wouldn't be surprised if this is a signing to cover him leaving

Hopefully it's the end of Baker. I take it Doncacian won't be getting a chance
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Philippe Senderos - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by heystally! Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:23 pm

No.
heystally!

http://aviewfromtheholteend.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBadger Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Senderos is a done deal !
TheBadger

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy_Villa Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Officially signed...
Andy_Villa
Andy_Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Yey
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BigKev67 Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:25 pm

I think Senderos is a decent bit of business. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. Besides which, you don't play 3 World Cups for a useful Swiss side if you're a donkey. I always thought he was decent at Arsenal, although I confess I haven't seen much of him since. Solid addition and clearly an upgrade on Baker and Clark - his experience and example will be handy too. Given where we are as a club right now, it's a smart signing.
BigKev67

Back to top Go down

Post by My Old Man Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:25 pm

................... Vlaar.......Senderos........Okore.............

Bacuna...................................................................????

Much stronger than last term.
My Old Man
My Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:36 pm

official site wrote:

Philippe Senderos becomes Villa's first summer signing.

By Brian Doogan

Philippe Senderos, who will fly to Brazil tomorrow with the Swiss national team to take part in his third World Cup finals, has agreed to join Aston Villa on a two-year deal beginning July 1.

The 29-year-old former Arsenal and Fulham defender becomes the first signing by Villa manager Paul Lambert this summer.

Described by Lambert's mentor at Borussia Dortmund, Ottmar Hitzfeld, the Swiss national coach, as a player who has "never disappointed on the pitch", Senderos is relishing his return to the Barclays Premier League and believes his experience will add formidable strength to the Villa defence next season.

"I'm really delighted to be joining Aston Villa, a great club with such a big history, and for me this is a great step in my career," he said.

"There will be a lot of competition for places with Ron Vlaar, Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker and Jores Okore also very capable Premier League defenders, so it will be up to me to fight for and to earn my place in the team.

"This is a team and a club which wants to do better, I know this, and hopefully we can all develop together and create something special.

"My goal is to help the team keep as many clean sheets as we can and to help drive Villa where we deserve to be and want to be.

"I have come to an age where I've learnt a lot under some great managers such as Arsene Wenger at Arsenal and Ottmar Hitzfeld with the Swiss national team and I've built up a lot of experience. I can develop further and continue to get better and this will be my goal - to continue to grow as a player, to help the team to grow and to contribute everything I can through the season.

"With Brad Guzan in Brazil with the USA squad and Ron Vlaar in the Dutch squad, that's a great deal of experience we'll be able to bring into the new season and, of course, Ciaran and Jores are also playing in their national teams. It's good to have this level of pedigree at the heart of the team's defence.

"I'm also excited to work with Paul Lambert whom I know has a great deal of respect also for Ottmar Hitzfeld and my challenge will be to vindicate the trust he has shown in bringing me to Villa."

For the Villa manager, the defender's strong mentality and experience of playing with top teams over many years proved a persuasive combination in luring him from La Liga side Valencia.

"He's played for some top sides and was a big influence in Arsenal's run to the Champions League final in 2006, so we're bringing in a really experienced player who's been there and done it and that will be important for the team," Lambert said.

"I went to Switzerland not long ago to watch the national team train and I could see he has a good, strong mentality for the game. Ottmar knows players and for him to say that Philippe has never disappointed him on the pitch, that's no small commendation.

"This will be Philippe's third World Cup finals and there aren't too many players who compete at that level over that stretch of time. He'll be a great addition to the group."

Senderos emerged through the youth system at Swiss club Servette before he agreed to join Arsenal in December 2002.
In 117 appearances for the Gunners, he won an FA Cup medal in 2005, scored four goals and spent loan spells at AC Milan and Everton before joining Fulham in 2010, making 68 appearances for the Craven Cottage team.

He has been capped 52 times by Switzerland, scoring five international goals.

Back to top Go down

Post by thegaffer6 Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Really struggling to get in any way enthused by this signing... Hangeland and Lescott available and we've brought in Senderos? Some of my mates are Arsenal fans and they think it's f*cking hilarious. I wonder who else will come in? Hoolahan? Ulises De La Cruz to solve our right back dilemma? JLloyd Samuel for left back?
thegaffer6
thegaffer6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Played for some top teams too and an experienced international defender , I was surprised to hear he is only 29 , seems to have been around for longer than that but he will add something to our defence hopefully .

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum