The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Next Aston Villa manager thread

+29
VillaBill
Saunders82
Army villain
LVBrit
ember
Fpuppys
Synopsis
STO67
bruka
VTID85
big ming
deadbuzzardalive
Boldfinger
Dions_Bald_Head
Jae1411
DelboyVilla
De Kuip
The Utterer
danclare82
villajk
Terry Derry
FoxyAV
achilles
Villa_Dan
smetro
Dazzle
UnclePanda
rogermuffin69
AstonThriller
33 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Next Aston Villa manager thread

Post by Jae1411 Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:59 am

I mentioned Nathan jones on here a few times before bruce got the job as one for the future. Still think it might be too big too soon for him though
Jae1411

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Next Aston Villa manager thread

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 am

Jae1411 wrote:I mentioned Nathan jones on here a few times before bruce got the job as one for the future. Still think it might be too big too soon for him though

Only if we want instant results & promotion. In terms of manager profile I've always been willing to wait for promotion for the greater good of development but I'm not sure that the board will share the same view given how long it's taking - there must be some nervous investors somewhere.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:13 am

Jae1411 wrote:I mentioned Nathan jones on here a few times before bruce got the job as one for the future. Still think it might be too big too soon for him though

I would be surprised if Jones quits Luton mid season - especially with promotion a distinct possibility (for Luton , not Us !)

I don't see anything to stop Jones having a good season in League one next year though, to my mind that would put his credentials within touching distance of Smith. Usually I prefer experienced manager - but something tells me Jones is something special - a bigger club will take a punt on him soon be interesting to see how he does.....
smetro
smetro

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:23 pm

Bristol city seem to always manage to play good football.
Lee Johnston anyone ?
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with Bruce for some time, sacking him after Brentford would have been the perfect moment; just when it seems he's on the verge, he gets a win, which is enough to save him his job, then we'll continue our pattern of form under him whereby we're underachieving but he does just enough in the eyes of those running the club, not to get the sack.

His comments after the game today on 'hysteria', 'shutting people up', and there always being a 'crisis' are utterly contemptible. Before today we were outside the play-offs in ninth, and nine points from second, only three points better off than at the same stage last season, even with today's win, he's lucky to be still in a job.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:25 pm

He could have focused on Elphicks performance, he could have said how pleased he was with RHMs appearance, he could have said how fantastic it was that 2700 fans made their way to the North East.
Instead he had a pop at the fans yet again.
Utter, utter c.unt of the first order.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:28 pm

He knows he's in trouble, he's trying to shift the blame.

It was interesting listening to the Sky commentary during the Brentford match, they mentioned how we had such good players but the football wasn't any good and we weren't getting results when everything was at the manager's disposal. They stopped just shy of blaming Bruce but you could tell they wanted to.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:31 am

Rowett. Had the Noses performing way above expectations before the disastrous decision to give him the bullet and now, after a short bedding in period, has Derby flying ( and playing good football).
big ming

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:42 am

FoxyAV wrote:He knows he's in trouble, he's trying to shift the blame.

It was interesting listening to the Sky commentary during the Brentford match, they mentioned how we had such good players but the football wasn't any good and we weren't getting results when everything was at the manager's disposal. They stopped just shy of blaming Bruce but you could tell they wanted to.

I agree, and personally I think us getting in Agnew speaks volumes. That's a panic move if I've ever seen one. That's essentially Bruce saying he doesn't know how to get this right. Make no mistake, the only reason we are where we are in the table is because we have a very good squad for this shit league. Bruce isn't the reason why we are in playoff position, the players are. Any half decent manager would have us dominating this league while actively using our youths.

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:43 am

big ming wrote:Rowett. Had the Noses performing way above expectations before the disastrous decision to give him the bullet and now, after a short bedding in period, has Derby flying ( and playing good football).

Not a chance, I like Rowett and think he could do a better job for us than Bruce but the likelihood of AVFC and DCFC alligning now (in terms of Bruce moving on and Rowett becoming available) is slim to fuck all.

Edit: I would like a manager who

• doesn't get caught up in their own "false narratives"
  • that focuses on the job at hand and not how "big a job" it is managing Aston Villa
  • that utilises youth to augment and drive a team with forward momentum
  • that plays players in positions that suit them
  • and a style of football that brings out the best in them

When you think about it, that's not actually too much to ask of a football manager yet Bruce struggles to tick any one of these points.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Spot on VT.
Have a +1 from me Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 2 3769219917
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:16 pm

FoxyAV wrote:He knows he's in trouble, he's trying to shift the blame.

I think the pressure got to him and he snapped back. I don't think there is anything more to it than that. I never pay much attention to press conferences, there are too many of them and with a limited amount that can be said. Remi Garde was often praised for his conduct in press conferences - he still got the push/left because he couldn't win enough games, which is the criteria not comments in press conferences.

Warbuton (another of the class of 2017 ' progressive ' managers) has just become available.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Forest fans seem very disappointed with Warburton being sacked, they've just gone through a tough spell similar to ours, but overall they've been doing better than they have for a long time, and it looked like Warburton was building something.

As for the whole 'progressive' thing, you only have to look at which championship clubs have been successful in recent years, to see that managers with actual tactics and a willingness to play football are going to be more successful than those who play hoof ball, Nuno at Wolves being the best example this season. It's just getting the right one, being labeled as a 'progressive manager' isn't a guarantee of success in of itself.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:02 pm

big ming wrote:Rowett. Had the Noses performing way above expectations before the disastrous decision to give him the bullet and now, after a short bedding in period, has Derby flying ( and playing good football).

I've been a huge advocate of Rowett but can't see it happening
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm surprised at how well Rowett has done at Derby, but the championship really is poor this season (which makes our attempt at promotion all the more galling) and they will go on a poor run at some point. And if people don't like Bruce's brand of football, they won't like Rowett's as it's very similar.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Forest fans seem very disappointed with Warburton being sacked, they've just gone through a tough spell similar to ours, but overall they've been doing better than they have for a long time, and it looked like Warburton was building something.

As for the whole 'progressive' thing, you only have to look at which championship clubs have been successful in recent years, to see that managers with actual tactics and a willingness to play football are going to be more successful than those who play hoof ball, Nuno at Wolves being the best example this season. It's just getting the right one, being labelled as a 'progressive manager' isn't a guarantee of success in of itself.

My comment was tongue in cheek - as any manager who strings together a decent run results gets tagged progressive - then when they loose a few and get sacked, (Clement , Warbutton) - they are forgotten and replaced by a couple of managers on a good run .....Johnson at Bristol City being current flavour of the moth.

I agree the standard of the championship this year is shite ! - I would also add that picking performing managers from the championship is very difficult- my belief is that a lot of the smaller clubs in the championship are extremely well run clubs, with a good infrastructure, and solid decision making , surrounding the manager. The manager comes in and sits and the top of that tree, sure he gets all the glory if he does well however the skillset required at Aston Villa is different, and while the infrastructure has improved under XIA its still very early days. Those old enough will recall that Doug Ellis had the club running well for a number of years - but his early years were pretty disastrous, with the appointments of Graham Turner, Billy McNeil etc....

Yes we should be doing better - but some of the names put forward as potential managers fill me with dread TBH
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Well Xia has just dismissed the Johnstone to depart rumours, and in doing so has also said that we're going to try and sign him permanently if we go up. Which suggests that the intention is to keep Bruce if promoted.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:28 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Well Xia has just dismissed the Johnstone to depart rumours, and in doing so has also said that we're going to try and sign him permanently if we go up. Which suggests that the intention is to keep Bruce if promoted.
I don't see the correlation there dba - Johnson is a very good keeper and well thought of by more than just Bruce at Villa, surely?
If there's a chance of signing a decent keeper I don't necessarily see that as signifying Bruce is bombproof.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Johnstone is a Bruce player, if we were looking to bring in another manager on promotion then that guy would be choosing our goalkeeper, Johnstone or someone else. Johnstone is a good player, but I don't think he's that good that he's a must buy, because any manager would want him, and he won't be signing for us as a squad player.

To be honest even without the Johnstone situation, I'd be very surprised if Bruce was replaced if he got us promoted, I think Wyness would see that as an absurd thing to do. I'd replace him myself.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:28 pm

I'd replace him tonight if I could - fecking awful manager.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:26 am

De Kuip wrote:I'd replace him tonight if I could - fecking awful manager.

#metoo.

FWIW I find it absolutely bonkers when I log on to facebook and find some idiots going on about "where's the Bruce out haters today", similar rubbish. It's so moronic I can't even bother with a reply. I'm actually surprised at how many illiterate fuckwits I find among Villa fans.

I pride myself in being direct and calling it as I see it. I supported Bruce relentlessly last season, as I think managers deserves a chance at getting their style right in both time and transfer windows. Bruce has had both and we still suck. We still can't do anything but hoofball. Maybe his new coach can help him on this bit, but that really doesn't speak well for Bruce. Not because he needs a coach, but why the FUCK wasn't the coach here from the start.
Secondly his utter inability to see that our youths should be utilized more heavily. I've said for 18 months now, as have many of you here, that RHM, Borg, Hayes, Davis, Grealish, Green, O'Hare, Suliman, needs to become the backbone of this team. Instead he signs a load of rubbish and makes us lose points by playing Jedinak in defence and Whelan anywhere.

I feel like ranting more here now, like how he speaks to fans who travels half the country, spends all their money on this club etc. or how negative his tactics are. But I really cba. I just want him out.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 am

Joppe84 wrote:
De Kuip wrote:I'd replace him tonight if I could - fecking awful manager.

#metoo.

FWIW I find it absolutely bonkers when I log on to facebook and find some idiots going on about "where's the Bruce out haters today", similar rubbish. It's so moronic I can't even bother with a reply. I'm actually surprised at how many illiterate fuckwits I find among Villa fans.

I pride myself in being direct and calling it as I see it. I supported Bruce relentlessly last season, as I think managers deserves a chance at getting their style right in both time and transfer windows. Bruce has had both and we still suck. We still can't do anything but hoofball. Maybe his new coach can help him on this bit, but that really doesn't speak well for Bruce. Not because he needs a coach, but why the FUCK wasn't the coach here from the start.
Secondly his utter inability to see that our youths should be utilized more heavily. I've said for 18 months now, as have many of you here, that RHM, Borg, Hayes, Davis, Grealish, Green, O'Hare, Suliman, needs to become the backbone of this team. Instead he signs a load of rubbish and makes us lose points by playing Jedinak in defence and Whelan anywhere.

I feel like ranting more here now, like how he speaks to fans who travels half the country, spends all their money on this club etc. or how negative his tactics are. But I really cba. I just want him out.

Tbf Grealish, Green and RHM have been injured - the first two when fit have generally been in the team. Borg and Sulliman don't look like first team material for while yet - if at all TBH.
Davis has had a decent Run in the first team - but has struggled most recently.
Which leaves Doyle-Hayes - who looks a fine prospect - He is very young - and looks even younger (seriously he looks about 14 !)- I think he needs to mature a bit more yet.
Which leaves O-Hare - who I accept perhaps should have been given more game time - But thats the only one for me. The others have been mostly injured.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 am

Nobody looks like first team material until they get the chance and they do though. Nobody thought Davis was ready until he as given a chance and excelled.

I think they all are ready for first team football. It's just a matter of giving them the chance. I'd much rather see Suliman instead of Jedinak, O'Hare for Snodgrass, Hayes for Whelan etc. but that's me.
Disagree on them being in the team as well. From my memory both Green and Grealish has been plenty on the bench. RHM has been injured a lot though, that's a fair point. But there's no chance Bruce the dinosaur would have played RHM over Kodjia or Hogan. We all know this.

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Bruce is almost always consistent though, he sticks with players until they become injured and when their replacements do better than the players they replaced and the team improves he sticks with it. There's stability and there's an inability to see the blatantly obvious problems. Davis's chance came due to all other strikers being injured and he made it stick because he improved the team even though he keeps doing everything but score.

Unfortunately for Grealish and Hogan they need players like each other, and Grealish needs to be unshackled from a static midfield hobbled by a Whelan. The Bristol match was unique in that it took out three starters (Whelan, Davis and Onomah) so Bruce was forced to play Jedi in midfield, which freed up Hourihane, which freed up Grealish, which freed up Hogan and made his position work.

I think we only had two players out of position - Hutton at LB and Elmo at RB, and since both are good at getting forward we looked much better all over the pitch. I'd be amazed if we lined up like this for the next league match but would be happy if we did.

None of this has anything to do with Bruce though does it? If he sticks with this set of players (and substitutes) and we do well maybe we're best off not rocking the boat? If we can get Hogan on form we don't need to disrupt everything again with Kodjia, imagine how long it would take to have enough injuries to rearrange the starting 11 to fit round him (actually I don't think we'd need to but you get my point).
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:28 pm

I agree. Consistently shit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next