The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Promotion discussion thread

+29
Dions_Bald_Head
VTID85
DelboyVilla
smetro
achilles
Villa_Dan
deadbuzzardalive
Army villain
The Utterer
Saunders82
UnclePanda
jeffvilla
Dazzle
De Kuip
FoxyAV
AstonThriller
Fpuppys
big ming
4BetLite
Gordonsleftboot
andrew24561
bruka
Terry Derry
NARLA24
Wriggle
Boldfinger
WendyOz
Trotters
gaffer85
33 posters

Page 8 of 35 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 35  Next

Go down

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Promotion discussion thread

Post by Dazzle Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:09 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:A few stories that Rowett is the first choice for the Stoke job, whether or not that would help us though I'm not sure, depends who they'd replace him with I guess.

I don’t see Rowett walking away from Derby, I think he’ll see this season out with them. If he did leave then it would undoubtedly aid Villa as Derby, much like Birmingham last season, are punching above their weight with Rowett running things. That scenario would be another gift to Steve Bruce.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 am

To be fair Derby have got one of the best squads in the league, and up until recently it could be argued that they were under achieving, and I'd say they're only in second place, because ourselves, Sheffield United and Cardiff, all capitulated at the same time.

But I agree that it's improbable that Rowett will leave them at the moment, he's doing well, and supposedly has an affinity with the club as a former player, I'm a bit surprised that Stoke want him to be honest.
deadbuzzardalive

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

AstonThriller wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:We're now seventeen points behind Wolves, which is frankly embarrassing, we're not going to catch them, but we should be looking to close that gap as much as possible before the end of the season.

Yep, it is. I put it down them having an agent ties with an agent that have allowed them to get players from much better leagues, and also a manager who a higher caliber too. I also put it down to them playing against ten men SEVEN times this season which is surely a record of some sort. And lastly, I put it down to the man who manages our team. We knew what he was last season but the board saw fit to retain his services. Just a week or so ago we saw how inept he can be by him deciding to play Jedi instead of Elphick, which cost two games where we could have at least pick up four more points. But I guess it is what it is and Wolves are loving their time in the sun. If they think it will be this rosey in the Prem though they are in for a very big surprise.

I wonder with Wolves if the likes of Jota, Neves and Bolly will be there next season or if Mendes will be passing on his recommendations to Jose and they will be scooped up for relatively small transfer fees ? The bottom half of the Prem this season is crap and with the team as is i could see them 10th at the least, next season will be an interesting one for them no doubt.
bruka

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Derby drop points and an opportunity presents itself for us to close the gap on second place to three points, we have to take it tomorrow against Barnsley.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:58 am

Long way to go but i have this gut wrenching feeling that we are going to end up in the play offs.
Bloody hope notand we can sneak automatic promotion.
Wolves have this league in the bag barring total capitulation and i cannot see that at all to be fair.
Derby and Cardiff are the real threats to us. Both good teams with good managers.
I just hope we do not miss out to the total cockwomble that is Warnock and Cardiff.
NARLA24
NARLA24

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:06 pm

I watched the Rams game last night and remarked to my wife that for all their bluster at the moment, Derby look like a decent Championship team. And that's it. They may get promoted and well done to them if they do, but they will still be a decent Championship team punching well above their weight in the Premier League. I also think their recent run of results and form flatters to deceive - no doubt they've got a decent manager and a good team, but they're not a league-winning outfit.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:22 pm

VTID85 wrote:I watched the Rams game last night and remarked to my wife that for all their bluster at the moment, Derby look like a decent Championship team. And that's it. They may get promoted and well done to them if they do, but they will still be a decent Championship team punching well above their weight in the Premier League. I also think their recent run of results and form flatters to deceive - no doubt they've got a decent manager and a good team, but they're not a league-winning outfit.

I think the standard is so bad I think all three teams (including Wolves due to them losing players) that get promoted will struggle in the PL.
achilles
achilles

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 pm

achilles wrote:
VTID85 wrote:I watched the Rams game last night and remarked to my wife that for all their bluster at the moment, Derby look like a decent Championship team. And that's it. They may get promoted and well done to them if they do, but they will still be a decent Championship team punching well above their weight in the Premier League. I also think their recent run of results and form flatters to deceive - no doubt they've got a decent manager and a good team, but they're not a league-winning outfit.

I think the standard is so bad I think all three teams (including Wolves due to them losing players) that get promoted will struggle in the PL.

I tend to agree, the gulf is widening and the best any of the promoted teams can probably hope for next season is to get a reasonable footing and avoid coming straight back down. Whcih to be fair isn't a particularly damning assessment - it might not seem particularly positive, but the Premier League shouldn't be easy for a newly promoted team to run straight to the top.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Forest 1-0 up at wolves. The really important result for us today has to be Sheff Wed. If they can beat Cardiff that will do us a massive favour..
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Forest 2 up - could the wheels come off between now and season's end?
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Fulham are the team to watch out for, they're in amazing form at the moment. Good to see Leeds lose which gives us a five point cushion in the play-offs, hopefully Wednesday can do us a favour as well, but if not, can't complain too much as we've done our part since Christmas and just have to keep going, whatever happens we'll be three points off second place.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 pm

De Kuip wrote:Forest 2 up - could the wheels come off between now and season's end?

They do have the tendency to blow up after Christmas apparently, lets hope so.lol!
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Sheff Wed held Cardiff to 0-0.
All in all a very decent weekend for us!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm

VTID85 wrote:
achilles wrote:

I tend to agree, the gulf is widening and the best any of the promoted teams can probably hope for next season is to get a reasonable footing and avoid coming straight back down. Whcih to be fair isn't a particularly damning assessment - it might not seem particularly positive, but the Premier League shouldn't be easy for a newly promoted team to run straight to the top.

I was discussing this with people around me today and the consensus seemed to be that is was just nice to see us winning again and for us just to exist in the PL was not a very palatable thought, especially with the possibility of some thumpings along the way. Unfortunately that is where the money is but nobody seemed enthusiastic about getting promotion, just enjoying the moment of us winning a few games.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 am

The more I look at who we have left to play the more I think it really is in our hands. I we stay injury free and make VP a fortress between now and season's end we could be in with a shout for automatic promotion.
If we really are starting to build momentum - and we've had a lot of false dawns haven't we - then it's come at the right time given we are due to play so many of those teams around us at home.
Having said that, we have to get something from the Sheff U game a week Tuesday, so let's hope they have an arduous and extra time type of FA cup game against Preston next Saturday so they are bolloxed by the time we roll into town.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:27 pm

achilles wrote:
VTID85 wrote:
achilles wrote:

I was discussing this with people around me today and the consensus seemed to be that is was just nice to see us winning again and for us just to exist in the PL was not a very palatable thought, especially with the possibility of some thumpings along the way. Unfortunately that is where the money is but nobody seemed enthusiastic about getting promotion, just enjoying the moment of us winning a few games.  

Good post, and I tend to agree with it all. The premier league has unfortunately become a playground for the established wealthy. The Sky6 aside, the only ambition any other club starts the season with is to finish outside of the bottom 3, that’s the reality of the situation. We’re at a moment in time where a promoted club needs to keep retain the money on offer in the premier league and hope to survive, any splashing of cash on transfer fees and salary could prove to be ruinous upon relegation. If Villa were to go up I’d want us to, frankly, retain most of the money and go with what we have, maybe 2 or 3 top younger aged players from the championship or relegated teams. We cannot compete with the Sky6, nobody can.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Leicester did to be fair, but I agree on the sentiment.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 pm

De Kuip wrote:The more I look at who we have left to play the more I think it really is in our hands. I we stay injury free and make VP a fortress between now and season's end we could be in with a shout for automatic promotion.
If we really are starting to build momentum - and we've had a lot of false dawns haven't we - then it's come at the right time given we are due to play so many of those teams around us at home.
Having said that, we have to get something from the Sheff U game a week Tuesday, so let's hope they have an arduous and extra time type of FA cup game against Preston next Saturday so they are bolloxed by the time we roll into town.

By and large we have coped with injuries - until recently goals had been the problem. Should we fail I think that will be our downfall - its a bit of a dilemma as we have rattled in the goals in our last 2 home games - but whilst Hogan looks lethal at the moment I am not yet confident he can maintain that for the rest of the season or stay injury free
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Only Fulham, Derby and Wolves have scored more goals than us so far, which is remarkable considering the injuries we've had to our strikers, and last season only birmingham, Burton and Rotherham scored less than us, in fact we're only five goals away from equaling our entire 'goals for' from last season which was 47 goals.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Only Fulham, Derby and Wolves have scored more goals than us so far, which is remarkable considering the injuries we've had to our strikers, and last season only birmingham, Burton and Rotherham scored less than us, in fact we're only five goals away from equaling our entire 'goals for' from last season which was 47 goals.

That's what happens when you have several players scoring goals and getting assists. Last season it was Kodjia with all the goals with Grealish chipping in with a few and Adomah getting most of the assists. This season has been a BIG turn around in that regard.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Anyway, it was MASSIVE weekend for the Villa where results of our rivals are concerned. Wolves got beat against Forest, Leeds lost to Millwall, Derby and Bristol drew, Cardiff drew etc. The only blips were Shef U, Fulham and Boro winning, but I guess we can't be too greedy.

The next round of games are...

Saturday
Barnsley vs Fulham
Brentford vs Norwich
Bristol vs QPR
Ipswich vs Wolves

Tuesday
Birmingham vs Sunderland
Burton vs Reading
Hull vs Leeds
Boro vs Wednesday
Millwall vs Derby
Forest vs Preston
Sheff U vs Villa

Think this could be another massive round of games. Cardiff won't be playing a league game until Feb 3rd when they go to Leeds, so if we win our next two,  and they lose at Leeds, we could be five points ahead of them by the time they go to Millwall to play their game in hand. Derby being at Millwall is also interesting. But as always we've just got to do our job and keep pushing. Fulham concern me, especially in a time where they are on an easy run, but if we keep winning then it won't matter.

COME ON VILLA!!

Last edited by AstonThriller on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Promotion discussion thread - Page 8 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:52 pm

I think this is the first time since we got relegated that i'm truly thinking we actually have a real chance of automatic promotion. Obviously it's all in the melting pot still and far from a certainty but at least i have genuine hope at last!

The Sheff Utd game will tell us a lot i feel. A Huge game.
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

Looking at that Tuesday match list, Derby away to Millwall  could be a tough one for them - Millwall are no pushover. Most of the other games for teams around us look like wins for them so it's vital we get something from Sheff U.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm

I still don't think we will get promoted, but if we do, I hope we sign Sam Johnstone. I don't care about Snodgrass (in fact I think he's a bit crap), but Johnstone has shown himself to be utter class.

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I still don't think we will get promoted, but if we do, I hope we sign Sam Johnstone. I don't care about Snodgrass (in fact I think he's a bit crap), but Johnstone has shown himself to be utter class.

I really like Snodgrass. I didn't think I would but he's worked out really well for us and with our new-look attack he's going to get better and benefit from a decent attacking coach. Not sure we should sign him if given the chance (let's face it, we're doing the job for West Ham we're not doing for Spurs with Onomah and they're probably recall him anyway) but Johnstone is a definite yes. A complete no-brainer.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 35 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 35  Next