The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Match thread

+32
thegaffer6
DaveAV1
VTID85
UnclePanda
Dions_Bald_Head
CoE82
deadbuzzardalive
Boldfinger
Cha Ching
Peter
FoxyAV
danclare82
Army villain
andrew24561
Dazzle
The Utterer
mefromhere
Fpuppys
gdav
smetro
avfc85
1Elliot
Barabass
avfc forever
DelboyVilla
Villa_Dan
De Kuip
NARLA24
Saunders82
Trotters
VillaBill
AstonThriller
36 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Match thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Barnsley vs Aston Villa Match thread

Post by De Kuip Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:04 pm

It's a good point about pace.
It just keeps coming back to that lack of midfield quality. What the fuck was RDM thinking signing 117 forwards and not strengthening our midfield adequately?
The midfield is the engine room of any team. It sets the pace, protects the defence and is that vital supply chain to the front runners - or it should be. In our case it simply isn't doing any of those things well enough.
I watched Arsenal on the weekend and again tonight, and yes, of course they have a world class midfield, but it's all relative and you could see how the heart rate of the team, the tempo of the attack and switch to defence was all eminating from the midfield. Only as a last resort were they allowing it to become the defence''s job to deal with opposition. The distribution, aggression and pressure was all generated from the midfield.
We have to emulate that to really control games, but we are still so light in that department and the January window may come too late to do anything about it.
I'm so surprised that we seemed to buy up everyone that was a forward , when in fact we'd have been better doing that with midfield. Good attacking midfielders get goals, good forwards don't do much in midfield.
Also, a strong mid would have given our equally paper thin defence some well needed protection,  rather than going missing too often and meaning too many of our defending is last gasp desperation.
I said at the time I'd rather we'd signed another midfielder rather than a forward - as did most of us,  and bloody hell those chickens are coming home to roost at present.
Sooo frustrating.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Match thread - Page 7 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Match thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Barnsley vs Aston Villa Match thread

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:07 pm

He can still sign free agents, right? And I'm sure there are some quality players available. So either they won't come or they've not been approached. My guess is the latter.

I'm not sure RDM understands what's wrong. Can't fix things until he does.
Trotters
Trotters

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Match thread - Page 7 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7