The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Championship rivals thread

+24
De Kuip
Dazzle
Dions_Bald_Head
deadbuzzardalive
Wriggle
Saunders82
Villa Ranger
DelboyVilla
danclare82
4BetLite
VTID85
smetro
achilles
NARLA24
The Utterer
Boldfinger
VillaBill
jeffvilla
Jae1411
AstonThriller
Fpuppys
andrew24561
Thinman
BillytheKid
28 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Championship rivals thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Championship rivals thread

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Yeah, we really need to start winning.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Ten points behind Huddersfield and six points behind Newcastle. It's not great but like I said Huddersfield will hopefully run out of steam so the two we need to really watch is Toon and Norwich imo. We've got to keep as close to them as possible.

Anyway next fixtures coming up for us and the rivals in midweek.

Villa vs Brentford

Brighton vs Huddersfield

QPR vs Newcastle

Norwich vs Wigan

Wolves vs Barnsley

Reading Vs Birmingham

Fulham vs Burton

It's a really good set of fixtures here I think. Lots of teams up there will be dropping points so it's a good time to get a win now.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Championship rivals thread - Page 2 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:14 am

We need to stay within 6 points in my opinion so we are really pushing it now.
I thought there were many positive signs today but again we failed to get the 3 points.

A change of luck wouldn't go amiss!
The Utterer
The Utterer

Championship rivals thread - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:39 am

Viewpoint #1 - we are just 2 wins away from a playoff spot. If we win those two games and the team's currently in the top 6 drop points, we'll be back up there, continually improving and with a premier-league-like 38 games to go. You'd favour us to finish top 2.

Viewpoint #2 - Whilst the defence and attack seem sorted, our back up midfield is utter shit and will be used more often than we'd like because our first choice is injury prone. We cannot buy a win despite battering other teams and 1 win in a piss poor league after spending more money than just about any other team in Europe, having a CL winning manager with extraordinarily experienced backroom staff and a new owner is a shocking failure no matter how you care to sugar coat it. Whilst we are "gelling" and playing "getting to know you", everyone else in the league is running away from us. We are 17th and one more loss will have us looking at the trap door. Yet again.

----------------

It really depends upon my mood which view I take. I'm probably more of a #1 guy at the minute, taking the positives out of the Forest game. But if we don't absolutely batter Brentford then I'll be more viewpoint #2. If we actually conspire to fuck up and lose to them with another late goal then, well I dunno.....I think I'd even go so far as be calling for RDM's head as any hope of top 6 will have evaporated.

Trotters
Trotters

Championship rivals thread - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:15 am

I've just watched the 2nd half of Fulham v Birmingham and, honestly, I've not seen two worse professional teams.

If we don't spank both these teams - and I don't mean "you've been a naughty girl" kind of spank, I mean a proper whips, chains, paddles and 14 inch black rubber cock kind of spank  - then I'll eat my shoes.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 am

Trotters wrote:I've just watched the 2nd half of Fulham v Birmingham and, honestly, I've not seen two worse professional teams.

If we don't spank both these teams - and I don't mean "you've been a naughty girl" kind of spank, I mean a proper whips, chains, paddles and 14 inch black rubber cock kind of spank  - then I'll eat my shoes.
Can we do them with the Fist Master 5000 2016 model please Championship rivals thread - Page 2 2900886825
NARLA24
NARLA24

Championship rivals thread - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:51 am

Championship rivals thread - Page 2 498107619
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:14 pm

AstonThriller wrote:Ten points behind Huddersfield and six points behind Newcastle. It's not great but like I said Huddersfield will hopefully run out of steam so the two we need to really watch is Toon and Norwich imo. We've got to keep as close to them as possible.

Anyway next fixtures coming up for us and the rivals in midweek.

Villa vs Brentford

Brighton vs Huddersfield

QPR vs Newcastle

Norwich vs Wigan

Wolves vs Barnsley

Reading Vs Birmingham

Fulham vs Burton

It's a really good set of fixtures here I think. Lots of teams up there will be dropping points so it's a good time to get a win now.
Toon are starting to piss this already
danclare82
danclare82

Championship rivals thread - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Newcastle look to be favourites now for the top spot so we need to get our azz into gear and start winning games in a row going on real unbeaten runs now no more fannying about now,

Signs are good that we will click soon good n proper with the new players sooo many chances created excites me cos some fecker is going to cop it let's hope that is Brentford,
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:15 pm

YES we do need to start putting it together BUT once we do I think we will unstopable, just need the rub of the green now more than ever. Newcastle started the season poorly but 5 on the bounce and they are full of confidence, but just watching some of the goals on sky they sure are getting the rub of the green, Norwich are too, it has to be our turn soon.
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Saunders82 wrote:YES we do need to start putting it together BUT once we do I think we will unstopable, just need the rub of the green now more than ever. Newcastle started the season poorly but 5 on the bounce and they are full of confidence, but just watching some of the goals on sky they sure  are getting the rub of the green, Norwich are too, it has to be our turn soon.

Spot on mate, how many bloody times per match do we hit the woodwork it is beyond bad luck tbh how mnay times we have per game this season, rub of the green is surely due to go our way now.
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:28 pm

I think Newcastle despite the ins and outs personnel wise are a perfect example of a Prem club who got relegated because a reasonably decent squad played poorly and for a lengthy part of the season were managed badly.  They only just went down. Lots of clubs go down in these circumstances and often bounce back straight away.
We were a different kettle of fish altogether - a team in a deep malaise, the club rotten to the core and with playing personnel not good enough for the championship let alone the Prem. So whilst I envy Newcastle their tremendous start (well after the first two games) I'm also a realist and have always thought this season 5th or 6th is what we need to target, with the hope that we are a totally different outfit after a season and two transfer windows. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried that it is starting to get urgent, and 18th position is damn scary, but I do think trying to compete with Newcastle is an ask too far at present. In fact - and I'll probably get flamed for this - if we didn't go up this season, but went up next, if I thought it was with a shit hot stable team and club, you know what, I'd live with that. I just want to get that winning feeling back. I've already been to more Villa games this season than the last 2 put together so there's optimism there for me.
Nope, let Newcastle have their victories, I'm interested in building momentum, cementing our future potential and hopefully going up this season via the playoffs.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:45 am

I admit that all my early season optimism has somewhat dissipated but I think Newcastle and Norwich are nailed on for automatic promotion. If we have a chance it'll be through the lottery that is the play offs.

Pretty sure this is not in line with Tony's masterplan. If we fail to win tonight I think we'll see a different side to Tone.
Thinman
Thinman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:31 am

This is about the time we started to go on a run the last time were down in the late 80's. The start is very similar actually and i remember clearly feeling exactly the same, in fact even more doubtful if i'm honest back then as a ST holder and full on home and away traveller.

I loved it back then once we started to kick on! I lost count of the number of away games i either hitch-hiked to or jumped the trains lol! I remember one amazing away day when we played Plymouth away! Hitch hiked there with a tent and arrived early morning. Got totally drenched in the away end with that really heavy seaside rain (no roof) and saw us win 3-1. Went out for a drink and then pitched the tent in the middle of a tree covered ring road island at the start of the dual carriageway on the way out of town. I remember waking up with spiders crawling over my face and thinking... "thats a long way home now!". Got back later that evening in the end again hitch hiking!

Those were the days! Championship rivals thread - Page 2 498107619

As for our rivals? I would much rather peak at the end of the season than now tbh! I don't actually think it was a bad night for us last night with Huddersfields bubble now possibly burst, Wolves losing badly which will dent their confidence and again potentially end their early season run. Norwich keep sneaking wins admittedly and of Course Newcastle will be riding high after that! ..But that could also shatter QPR too! so as they say every cloud.....

I would rather Newcastle do there lucky run now though than at the business end!!!
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:41 am

What we have to keep in mind is we're gonna play four matches against Newcastle and Norwich so it's still in our hands. Yes Newcastle are looking impressive but is it any surprise when they kept some solid performers like Shelvey and spent nearly as much us? The difference between us and them is their midfield is making a big contribution both in assists and goals while ours remains missing in action.

Defence wise ours and their's is pretty even but striker wise we're better. Once we click it's gonna be very interesting to see what happens. Our game against Newcastle in a few weeks is gonna be very revealing.

As for the matches yesterday!!..Huddersfield, Wolves, QPR and Derby all lost which is nice but clearly we're gonna have to step it up tonight and get three points on the board.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 pm

Cracking post @The Utterer !!!!!

I just can't help but feel that, despite playing well, we're like the equivalent of Burnley looking at the top of the premier league table and saying that Chelsea and Man City are probably getting away from us.

I put us down to absolutely flog Brentford tonight but I'm starting to feel a shift in mood that says we won't win and that we'll have to start looking over our shoulders at the teams below us rather than looking at the ones that got away through binoculars.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:24 pm

What's really annoying is the team sitting in 4th spot, bunch of inbred twunts!
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Trotters wrote:Cracking post @The Utterer !!!!!

I just can't help but feel that, despite playing well, we're like the equivalent of Burnley looking at the top of the premier league table and saying that Chelsea and Man City are probably getting away from us.

I put us down to absolutely flog Brentford tonight but I'm starting to feel a shift in mood that says we won't win and that we'll have to start looking over our shoulders at the teams below us rather than looking at the ones that got away through binoculars.

Thanks Trotts Championship rivals thread - Page 2 3769219917

I think Brentford will be dangerous as they have their tails up and the only thing in my opinion making it look easily winnable is the fact they are named "Brentford" which has zero fear factor about it. If this exact same team were called Newcastle or Norwich we would likely be less optimistic!!

But ..Boy do we need to learn how to win so........ .Lets av it Brentford!! Championship rivals thread - Page 2 1375627042 Championship rivals thread - Page 2 1375627042
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Just catching up on posts and agree @The Utterer brill post I love footie tales!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Newcastle are now the clear favorites for this league. I just hope we can click soon like they have done or else we are going to be fucked.Proper fucked, like the rabbit.
NARLA24
NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Remember guys even if the automatic spots slip away from us the play-offs would still be well in sight. The only silver lining in our current predicament is we're not losing at least. Keep taking the lead in games then lord knows our luck has to change sooner rather than later.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:01 am

So yesterday was another mixed bag. Newcastle surprisingly lost at home to Wolves so that's encouraging result from our point of view. It's a shame Wolves gain from it but Newcastle seem to be a team who are good front runners but have lost all the games they have gone behind in. Huddersfield continue the great run they are on and if they keep this up they just might do a bloody Leicester at this rate. Brighton did what they do best and snuck a result having ground down their opponents.

Derby have had just as bad a start as us tbh and are struggling to score goals. Sheff Wed slipped up at the noses and it's looking like they might not be as good this season as they were last year. Brentford had a very impressive result and are really surprising a lot of people this season. Barnsley slipped up at home QPR lost again of course. The worry for me though is Norwich, bit by bit they are getting results and with their team being well versed on how to get out of this league they seem to have everything in place to get there.

Lastly the cry babies on VT have declared our promotion hopes virtually "over" Very Happy . Right now I think getting to the January window inside that top six should the priority and hopefully we can get a few more faces in and have a serious go in the second half of the season. Personally with the toughness of this league right now I think the number target for automatic promotion might be lower than it has been in previous seasons because everyone is beating everyone in this league (apart from us).
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Wolves got hammered in the previous game so I'm sure most people were surprised by their result against Newcastle (we'll probably catch the backlash). But it again highlights that in this league, anyone can beat anyone else.

Well, except us.

If - a huge IF - we could string a run of just 3 wins together, it really does change the look of the table and, more importantly, means teams will start to fear us a bit.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Well this weekend was another mixed bag. Norwich continue to march on though tbh they only played Burton. They go to Toon in midweek and then to Wolves next weekend so it will be interesting to see if they are still top after that. Huddersfield lost again which is good but Brighton keep the pressure up, beating Barnsley who have had a good start but like Huddersfield they might be feeling the heat now. Reading are impressing me I have to say, they've racked up some good wins of late and are rightly up there.

Sheff Wed stole a late win but Derby are having a nightmare right now after their defeat at home to lowly Blackburn. Fulham are starting to come apart themselves after a good start too. Lastly the noses got a draw with QPR.

We went from 19th to 17th after the draw yesterday and could move up to 14th with a win and other results going our way.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Well I thought I might aswell update this now we've only gone and got a bloody win for the first time since Madonna sang "like a virgin" Very Happy .

Newcastle are just rampant right now and In all honesty they've done even better than I expected. When one looks at it in the cold light of day though they really shouldn't have gone down in the first place and even put five past spurs towards the end of the season. They look like clear title winners to me right now.

Norwich are being consistent but you just get the feeling there might be some weakness lurking underneath the surface with that team. They let a 3-1 lead slip at Newcastle and again were pegged back at Fulham. Defensively it looks like they a vulnerable although going forward they are clearly decent. In an ideal world if automatic promotion is completely gone for us then we'd probably be better off urging Toon and Norwich to run away with the automatic positions. But I dunno, something tells me Norwich can be caught if we really get going between now and January and then strengthen even further. Seventeen points is a lot but we do have to play them twice so who knows?

Brighton are just doing what they do best, grinding out result after result and keeping things tight at the back. Really is top class stuff what Hughton is doing down there and I think they could steal a top two spot if the top two slip up. Would much rather have them in the play-offs though if push comes to shove.

Birmingham continue to be consistent which of course is annoying. Could you imagine us playing them in a play-off final? I couldn't watch it, I really couldn't.

Meanwhile Huddersfield, Bristol City and Brentford are perhaps starting to get a little found out now after great starts. Huddersfield are still right up there but as I type they are 2-0 down at Preston. Sheff Wed will probably be there or there abouts but they aren't exactly winning every week themselves.

QPR got a solid win yesterday and remain a big threat to the play-off places I think.

All in all it's been a good few days for us as we've closed the gap to the play offs to seven points now. I've always said if we're in touching distance of that top six come January the Dr won't let us down. I can see Bruce working his magic in the market and us having a very strong finish to the season. Anything can happen in the play-offs of course. But if we strengthen central midfield, add another defender and some attacking midfielders then we'll be very hard to handle I think.

In closing what we also must consider is the teams we've played thus far and the teams we haven't played.

Newcastle= 1st
Huddersfield= 4th currently (have been top two for most of the season)
Bristol City= 7th
Sheff Wed= 6th
Brentford= 8th
Reading= 10th
Ipswich= 12th (were top eight when we played them)
Preston= 13th currently
Barnsley= 15th (were top six when we played them)
Wolves= 16th
Forest= 17th (were top half when we played them
Derby= 20th
Rotherham= 24th

So we've actually played TWO teams who are below us in the table right now and one of them are a Derby side who had just finished in the play-offs in the previous season.

We've yet to face Burton, Wigan, Blackburn, Cardiff etc. They'll no doubt be tough but we've certainly faced most of the better teams thus far bar Brighton and Norwich.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next