The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Defence Defence Defence!!!

+18
mefromhere
big ming
TED
Thinman
The Utterer
VTID85
Villa_Dan
thegaffer6
Zidane
RhodyVillan
EviliZe
KMitch
NARLA24
villabromsgrove
smetro
Cha Ching
South London Villan
4BetLite
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Defence Defence Defence!!! Empty Defence Defence Defence!!!

Post by 4BetLite Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:40 am

Thought this might be a good topic for conversation.......... it feels like an eternity since we had a great defence, incl keeper. We always seemed to be so solid at the back in days gone by, whether we were good bad or average offensively!

To kick this off, my main concern is Richards best position. IMO he's a RB threw and threw and not a CB in a back 4. In a back 3 with wing backs, him on the RH would be ok though.

Loving Amavi ! once up to speed with Prem he will be awesome.

Okore is good and will thrive with right partner.

Clark still needs refining and would def keep him.

Crespo..........good luck!

Baker.........goodbye!

Guzan.........sorry to his fans and him, but being a nice guy, hard working and passionate is not enough, so not for me.

We need a big strong 6'6" experienced CB and a world class keeper to round it off.

Scarf Waving .........UTV.......... Scarf Waving

Would would you guys like to see?
4BetLite
4BetLite

Defence Defence Defence!!! 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Defence Defence Defence!!! Empty Re: Defence Defence Defence!!!

Post by South London Villan Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I would prefer to see Richards at right back but unless we get another centre half I can't see Tim playing him there. I suppose you could have Amavi and Richards as the wing backs with Okore, Clark, Baker/Senderos if you had to but putting Richards in there with Hutton on the right looks far stronger than Baker/Senderos.
I wouldn't mind keeping Baker but if he wants to play regularly I can see why he would want to go.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Defence Defence Defence!!! 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Someone said on another thread that Okore is pretty good at RB, could be a good shout as would be a good balance and cover Richards well.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:19 pm

4BetLite wrote:Someone said on another thread that Okore is pretty good at RB, could be a good shout as would be a good balance and cover Richards well.

So we're gonna keep a good RB at CB (despite the fact that he is shit at being a CB) and push one of the leagues most talented CB's at RB.

Defence Defence Defence!!! Giphy

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Joppe84 wrote:
4BetLite wrote:Someone said on another thread that Okore is pretty good at RB, could be a good shout as would be a good balance and cover Richards well.

So we're gonna keep a good RB at CB (despite the fact that he is shit at being a CB)  and push one of the leagues most talented CB's at RB.

Defence Defence Defence!!! Giphy

Very Happy

Just bandying ideas Joppe, if the agreement between MR and TS is that he plays as CB then we need a real solution at RB, but for me MR is a RB
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cha Ching Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Richards at CB might be an experiment that costs us plenty this season. He does not have enough defensive smarts for me and his habit of racing upfield needs to be coached out of him.

Talking of coaching, we need to have some organisation back there. We seem to allow too many goals from innocuous attacking positions.

I'd like to see a RB who can both defend and get forward with a bit of menace a bit like Amavi on the other side too.

Lots of work to do in this area and no matter how much we've improved up front and in the midfield we are no better off in defence yet bar Amavi. Hopefully better protection might mask some deficiencies.
Cha Ching
Cha Ching

Defence Defence Defence!!! 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:18 am

Cha Ching wrote:Richards at CB might be an experiment that costs us plenty this season. He does not have enough defensive smarts for me and his habit of racing upfield needs to be coached out of him.

Talking of coaching, we need to have some organisation back there. We seem to allow too many goals from innocuous attacking positions.

I'd like to see a RB who can both defend and get forward with a bit of menace a bit like Amavi on the other side too.

Lots of work to do in this area and no matter how much we've improved up front and in the midfield we are no better off in defence yet bar Amavi. Hopefully better protection might mask some deficiencies.

Top post CC - Pretty much as I see it.
For all the exciting incomings Id like a couple of Dull, Steady , CB'S - Im very wary of Richards - the captains armband and making him the defensive enforcer\organiser are roles he seems totally unsuited to IMO. We need better coaching in this area - Im hoping wilkins can provide some input here.
smetro
smetro

Defence Defence Defence!!! 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:33 pm

I agree with both Cha Ching and Smetro, our current defence will give away too many goals this season. The exciting improvements further forward may well be undone by our proverbial inability to defend as a unit. I'll await further defensive changes if TS is serious about creating a winning mentality.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:53 pm

I've been critical of him, but Johnny Evans could be worth looking at. Especially if the alternatives is Micah and Lescott.

Richards - Evans - Clarke/Okore - Amavi looks a LOT better than what we are currently running.

Last edited by Joppe84 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:04 pm

Bid put in for the West Brom Clingon Head !!!!!!
Sorry.....Lescott the West Brom Clingon Head !!!!!!

Last edited by NARLA24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited because, well, Clingons only come from West Brom. They live in secret caves in Sandwell, so rumour goes.)
NARLA24
NARLA24

Defence Defence Defence!!! 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:30 pm

Whispers says we're after CB cover, as Richards and Clark are our preferred starters for next season, with Okore as a rotation option.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:01 pm

KMitch wrote:Whispers says we're after CB cover, as Richards and Clark are our preferred starters for next season, with Okore as a rotation option.
I think you're right KMitch. I believe that Richards is our nailed on first choice CB, and I also believe that Sherwood's got this one wrong.We need an experienced no nonsense CB, who is prepared just to sit and mop up the mistakes made by other more impetuous defenders.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by EviliZe Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:05 pm

EviliZe
EviliZe

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:07 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:
KMitch wrote:Whispers says we're after CB cover, as Richards and Clark are our preferred starters for next season, with Okore as a rotation option.
I think you're right KMitch. I believe that Richards is our nailed on first choice CB, and I also believe that Sherwood's got this one wrong.We need an experienced no nonsense CB, who is prepared just to sit and mop up the mistakes made by other more impetuous defenders.

I personally think Richards will turn out to be a fantastic CB in 2 seasons, but it's going to be a while before he gets there. He needs to work on his marking and positioning and I think Sherwood will support him and give him the time, as long as Richards knuckles down and works hard to get there.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 pm

KMitch wrote:
villabromsgrove wrote:

I personally think Richards will turn out to be a fantastic CB in 2 seasons, but it's going to be a while before he gets there. He needs to work on his marking and positioning and I think Sherwood will support him and give him the time, as long as Richards knuckles down and works hard to get there.

Seriously - he hasn't got two seasons to settle. Its an area where we are vunerable, he's come with a hefy wage tag, he's not a kid - he's got to show some form pretty much straight away - thats not to say he got to be faultless - but he needs to make an impact.

If the fee was right Id take Johny Evans.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by RhodyVillan Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:47 am

Richards as a CB will turn out to be our (and Dimmy's) undoing.

Don't get the fervor for all the signings. Unproven, young, lightweight, and ZERO defense behind them. I get the feeling people are just happy because Lamberk didn't sign them.

Newsflash...Dimmy Sherwood did. Not good.
RhodyVillan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zidane Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:56 am

I smell a nose
Zidane

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:13 am

RhodyVillan wrote:Richards as a CB will turn out to be our (and Dimmy's) undoing.

Don't get the fervor for all the signings. Unproven, young, lightweight, and ZERO defense behind them. I get the feeling people are just happy because Lamberk didn't sign them.

I wouldn't put it as strongly as that - and although I am excited by the 'new batch' - we are fielding a very inexperienced team - who starts CB is key for me - I think TS has called Richards wrong there.....and presently we don't have many solid options there...
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:20 am

RhodyVillan wrote:Richards as a CB will turn out to be our (and Dimmy's) undoing.

At least you've been consistent with your views on Sherwood, but seriously what did you expect from him as a reaction to our last few years as Premier strugglers?

We've lost our best two players in the last few weeks, and our quality but crocked CB (Vlaar) is also no longer with us which isn't Sherwood's fault, but that has given him the opportunity to change things dramatically. Whatever your opinion of TS, you must surely agree that a season without Benteke and without considerable change would see us relegated.

It's obviously no longer possible to buy tried and tested Premier players (because of the home grown price premium) at the price that equally talented foreign players are available for, so what was Sherwood supposed to do? I get your point about Richards not being a currently experienced CB, but with players like Chester costing eight million what were the alternatives?

How about sharing your views on the players you think we should have bought?
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:41 am

Unfortunately, putting Richards at CB, may just undo a lot of good we will see from our other signings this season. Having a rash CB that charges up the pitch, gets out of position all the time, it's a recipe for disaster in a league like this one. I wonder how many goals it will take, but TS we'll see it eventually (hopefully).

I'll gladly eat humble pie all season long if it proves to go well.

Back to top Go down

Post by RhodyVillan Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:58 am

Players "we should've bought" is an irrelevant, straw man argument. Whichever players we purchased are still going to be headed by "our beloved manager."

shouldve had Pulis or Ranieri. I'd even take the guy heading up over at the Sty. I agree Lamberk had to go, but when you replace a mumbling idiot with an arrogant one, it comes off as like for like. The embarrassments at the end of the season were all the proof I need that we've got the wrong guy in charge.

And f**k off with the nose comments, you mong French headbutt merchant.
RhodyVillan

Back to top Go down

Post by thegaffer6 Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:02 pm

RhodyVillan wrote:Players "we should've bought" is an irrelevant, straw man argument. Whichever players we purchased are still going to be headed by "our beloved manager."

shouldve had Pulis or Ranieri. I'd even take the guy heading up over at the Sty. I agree Lamberk had to go, but when you replace a mumbling idiot with an arrogant one, it comes off as like for like. The embarrassments at the end of the season were all the proof I need that we've got the wrong guy in charge.

And f**k off with the nose comments, you mong French headbutt merchant.

Have to disagree with the Ranieri comment, the blokes living off the fact he once managed Chelsea. I'm fairly sure he'll be the first manager sacked this year!
thegaffer6
thegaffer6

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Ranieri???

Defence Defence Defence!!! 446
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:14 pm

RhodyVillan wrote:And f**k off with the nose comments, you mong French headbutt merchant.

Use of "mong" negates any opinion you have on anything.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 pm

Obviously a troll. Move on.

But suggesting Ranieri. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum