The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Villa Keeper?

+44
The Great white walnut
VillaBill
VTID85
avfc85
Villa_Dan
big ming
Born Under The Holte End
4BetLite
KMitch
ChicoHamiltonsPants
South London Villan
thegaffer6
Fpuppys
mickeywya
TED
Dions_Bald_Head
rosco77
ejs1111
Mazrim
The Utterer
Cha Ching
Dgrizzle7
Spirit of Bosco Jankovic
avfcjoe
jbone88
UnclePanda
Jamie Gray
danclare82
GadgetMan
jeffvilla
tbarrules
mark_draper
lukevilla
bruka
ViewFromT2
Leafs1201
Aesorian
AstonThriller
FoxyAV
kimbo
HarryAVFC
Wookster
fastbackace
villabromsgrove
48 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 Empty Re: Villa Keeper?

Post by AstonThriller Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:42 am

Guzan is way overrated imo. Against Arsenal away some of the goals he let in were just ridiculous and that mistake he made at City was amongst the worst i've seen by a Villa keeper.

So for me it's time for a change..i don't care what he's done for America in a friendly game...we've seen him for three seasons now and each time he's let in over 50 goals.

If/when the takeover goes through hopefully Tim will bring in a top quality keeper..and no i don't mean Heaton.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:16 am

Whether you like Guzan or not, finding a replacement isn't particularly easy. Joe Hart has finally seemed to find some consistency after plenty of ups and downs, Man U are struggling to hold on to De Gea, who I would class as very good rather than outstanding and Arsenal have been trying to replace David Seaman for years and now look like the best they can do is a 33 year old, past his best Chelsea reject.
DaveAV1

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:22 pm

I don't think it's that I rate Guzan so highly (although he does seem slightly mental, which I like in a goalkeeper), it's that my opinion of Given (shot-stopping aside) is so low, that I always feel more comfortable with Guzan there. However, if we bring in a better keeper, so be it.

But then, that goes for ANY position!
kimbo
kimbo

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesorian Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:33 pm

(All Stats from Squwaka.com) Guzan:
2014/15 34 PL games

83 Saves
Only 6 keepers (Fabianski, Green, Adrian, Heaton, Pantilimon & Lloris) made more saves than him in the league, with only one of them Pantilimon) making more saves in less games and everyone else playing more games.

103 "Claims"
Only 5 Keepers (Fabianski, Green, Adrian, Pantilimon, Heaton, and made the same amount as Courtois) made more Successful claims than Guzan, with only Pantilimon and Courtois playing less games

2013/14: 38 PL Games

95 saves
Only 2 Keepers (Mannone & Marshall) made more saves, and he was equal with Everton's Tim Howard

161 "Claims"
The keeper with most successful claims, 26 more than the next nearest (Cardiff's David Marshall 135)

Hell, Guzan is in the top ten for Clean Sheets in 2014/15, having 9 over the course of the season only 2 behind De Gea, despite playing 3 games less.

That said, he's certainly not a world class keeper, he has many flaws, only two keepers have missed a claim more than Guzan in 2014/15 for example) and can make mistakes, which I'm not sure is down to complatency or not. I'd love us to get a young(ish) exciting keeper to pressure him for his first team spot and keep him preforming at his best.
Aesorian
Aesorian

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Those stats show that Guzan has more good games than bad, but he can get complacent. Which is why he needs someone young and hungry to push him for his place.

Or Heaton comes in and they both get told that the shirt is theirs until they cost us points and then the other guy gets his shot.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Aesorian wrote:(All Stats from Squwaka.com) Guzan:
2014/15 34 PL games

83 Saves
Only 6 keepers (Fabianski, Green, Adrian, Heaton, Pantilimon & Lloris) made more saves than him in the league, with only one of them Pantilimon) making more saves in less games and everyone else playing more games.

103 "Claims"
Only 5 Keepers (Fabianski, Green, Adrian, Pantilimon, Heaton, and made the same amount as Courtois) made more Successful claims than Guzan, with only Pantilimon and Courtois playing less games

2013/14: 38 PL Games

95 saves
Only 2 Keepers (Mannone & Marshall) made more saves, and he was equal with Everton's Tim Howard

161 "Claims"
The keeper with most successful claims, 26 more than the next nearest (Cardiff's David Marshall 135)

Hell, Guzan is in the top ten for Clean Sheets in 2014/15, having 9 over the course of the season only 2 behind De Gea, despite playing 3 games less.

That said, he's certainly not a world class keeper, he has many flaws, only two keepers have missed a claim more than Guzan in 2014/15 for example) and can make mistakes, which I'm not sure is down to complatency or not. I'd love us to get a young(ish) exciting keeper to pressure him for his first team spot and keep him preforming at his best.

Over to you Harry lad.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:12 pm

The fact fans are even comparing Given against Guzan is just silly, when Given signed he was already on the downwards Spiral, we need to sign another competitive keeper, 1 it will help challenge Guzan maybe improve him or replace him.
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by Leafs1201 Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:38 am

I'm sitting firmly on the fence in regards to Guzan as sometimes he impresses me and other times he doesn't but as far as Given being finished his performance in the Cup Final tells me he isn't, I'd have no problems if Given started next season as number one.
Leafs1201
Leafs1201

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Guzan is one of those keepers that flatters to deceive IMO. I've always liked him, but I think that's mostly cause I wanted him to succeed more than anything. Most of his saves that I'm impressed by are made a meal of. He could do a lot of stuff simpler, and he is rubbish at commanding his area.

Statistics is relatively pointless IMO. Just proves our defence is dogshit and our team let it a ton of crosses.

I'm not a big critic of Guzan even if it sounds that way, I've always had a lot of time for him, but it wouldn't be surprising if TS wanted a new keeper.

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Just a thought on Guzan and Heaton. Both keepers conceded a lot of goals, but Guzan was playing behind an ever changing defence (due to a horrendous run of injuries) which had little support from midfield, while Burnley's mantra was a settled and organised defence.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Just seen Bardsley pull off a great save in womens world cup against Norway. Brad and Shay take note.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Odds slashed on Begovic joining before 3rd September. Did hear from a Stoke fan 2 weeks back that we had bid big for him...I laughed it off as madness at the time!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:25 pm

I've just seen the 2/1 odds on Begovic joining us too. That'd be a truly amazing signing IMO
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Finnish international GK Lukas Hradecky to sign tomorrow from Brondby apparently....he's decent.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:55 pm

ViewFromT2 wrote:Finnish international GK Lukas Hradecky  to sign tomorrow from Brondby apparently....he's decent.
I wasn't paying attention at first to that as it came from BS sources, but people from Denmark are tweeting about it now so seems a bit more credible.
kimbo
kimbo

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesorian Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:21 am

Lukas Hradecky would be interesting, at 25 he's still got plenty of career left despite already being in the mix with the national team (22 caps). Swansea, Palace and Southampton have all been linked with him as a back-up keeper as well, which makes me think that he's been promised game time if he comes to us, as in 2010 he turned down a move to Man Utd. because he wanted game time.
Aesorian
Aesorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Under The Holte End Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:40 pm

According to his father and agent it's news to him!?

rondby goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky’s father and agent has told tipsbladet.dk that he has not had any contact with reported suitors Aston Villa about his son’s availability.

Hradecky, 25, has spent his entire senior career in Denmark, having joined Brondby from Superliga rivals Esbjerg in June 2013 after winning the league’s Goalkeeper of the Season award.

The Finland international did have a trial with Manchester United back in August 2010 but turned down the chance to move to Old Trafford due to his desire for first-team football.

Nevertheless, his performances over recent campaigns have led to increasing speculation of a switch to the Premier League, with Crystal Palace, Southampton and Swansea City all named as potential destinations in recent months [h/t Daily Mail].

Villa were added to that list this week, with tipsbladet.dk themselves reporting that the Finnish number one could even join the club in a matter of days, but Vlado Hradecky has now moved to quash such speculation.

Speaking to the newspaper, he said: “I know nothing [about Villa’s reported interest] so I cannot say much. I have only just heard about it now here, and actually I did not know it until I read it in the newspaper this morning.

“As I said, I have not heard anything and there has been no contact with anyone. It's just rumours and there are many of them these days"

ARTICLE LINK: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/06/23/brondby-goalkeeper-lukas-hradeckys-father-and-agent-responds-to/
Born Under The Holte End
Born Under The Holte End

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:56 am

Not a big fan of Guzan myself, he's a decent shot stopper but he has no control over his area which leads to the defense being (even more) disorganised. I would do as others have said and bring in a keeper like Heaton and let them fight it out for number one spot - healthy competition for places can only help our team, not enough of it in recent years in any position.
bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by lukevilla Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Guzan in the Gold Cup and if he reaches the final that is on 27th july so not any chance of him being ready for the 8th surely sherwood will give him some time off for holidays etc has he had one?
lukevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:33 pm

I will be happy if Guzan is our number one keeper at the end of this transfer window. I can also see why people think that Begovic is the better keeper, but I don't think that the difference is big enough to justify a big outlay.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by fastbackace Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:12 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:I will be happy if Guzan is our number one keeper at the end of this transfer window. I can also see why people think that Begovic is the better keeper, but I don't think that the difference is big enough to justify a big outlay.

agreed, and with the extra games from the world cup I think his confidence will be buzzing and ready to go. I think he'll be our starter come aug 8th.
fastbackace
fastbackace

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Looks like Given is off.
Trotters
Trotters

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:09 pm

Trotters wrote:Looks like Given is off.
If his contract has been cancelled by mutual agreement that will involve a substantial payment to Given. Good move though for both parties.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:13 pm

I see the Americans are as divided about Guzan as we are. Fun reading the twitter comments from last nights match.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/08/twitter-reacts-to-aston-villa-goalkeeper-brad-guzans-usa-perform/page/1/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Kinda sums him up. He can pull off "worldies " but can't organise the defence in front of him which requires him to pull off "worldies".

I was surprised no one mentioned his kicking game. His massively shit kicking game.
Trotters
Trotters

Villa Keeper? - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next