The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Villa Keeper?

+44
The Great white walnut
VillaBill
VTID85
avfc85
Villa_Dan
big ming
Born Under The Holte End
4BetLite
KMitch
ChicoHamiltonsPants
South London Villan
thegaffer6
Fpuppys
mickeywya
TED
Dions_Bald_Head
rosco77
ejs1111
Mazrim
The Utterer
Cha Ching
Dgrizzle7
Spirit of Bosco Jankovic
avfcjoe
jbone88
UnclePanda
Jamie Gray
danclare82
GadgetMan
jeffvilla
tbarrules
mark_draper
lukevilla
bruka
ViewFromT2
Leafs1201
Aesorian
AstonThriller
FoxyAV
kimbo
HarryAVFC
Wookster
fastbackace
villabromsgrove
48 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Villa Keeper? Empty Villa Keeper?

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Is Guzan good enough? I think he should be our first choice keeper next season, but I have a feeling I may be in the minority.

Given is way past his best, it's not his fault it's just age catching up with a good keeper.

Steer is ok, but that's just about it.

Do we need a new keeper? If so .... Who?
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Villa Keeper? Empty Re: Villa Keeper?

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:12 pm

I like Guzan but he needs pushing to stay on his game. I'd like to see Heaton brought in and the 2 of them both have a fair shot at being. #1
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:13 pm

As for Steer, the bloke is 22 so very young as far as keepers go. But need to see more of him if he is to stake a claim.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by fastbackace Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:15 pm

I second the claim that Guzan should be number 1. He finished on a rough patch, but had a cracking game for the USA v Netherlands and vs Germany.

He will be better than Howard. Mark my words.
fastbackace
fastbackace

Villa Keeper? 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:I like Guzan but he needs pushing to stay on his game. I'd like to see Heaton brought in and the 2 of them both have a fair shot at being. #1
I think that's fair comment Dan.
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:22 pm

fastbackace wrote:I second the claim that Guzan should be number 1. He finished on a rough patch, but had a cracking game for the USA v Netherlands and vs Germany.

He will be better than Howard. Mark my words.
Good post! Villa Keeper? 3769219917
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wookster Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:As for Steer, the bloke is 22 so very young as far as keepers go. But need to see more of him if he is to stake a claim.

How does he compare to Siegrist? Wasnt he supposed to be a good prospect
Wookster
Wookster

Villa Keeper? 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Wookster wrote:
Villa_Dan wrote:As for Steer, the bloke is 22 so very young as far as keepers go. But need to see more of him if he is to stake a claim.

How does he compare to Siegrist? Wasnt he supposed to be a good prospect
Seigrist broke his leg a couple of months back. I really thought we'd got a diamond when we signed him at age 17, but he's failed to develop the promise that I was sure he had. Steed's a decent keeper but I've seen nothing to convince me that he'll be our number one keeper.
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Think Guzan has been awful for the last two seasons. I'd sell him and sign a new number 1. 
Sherwood has said he wants the losers out and he's been a constant in our Loire 3 seasons
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Villa Keeper? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Really Harry I don't know what you watch. Anyone who isn't world class is crap and should be sold in your opinion. We'd have a new team every transfer window if we followed that course.

I think Guzan is decent. Considering he's playing for a team that has struggled since he became our no.1 and played behind a generally poor defence he's dome a well above average job. There are plenty of other areas of the team to spend money on before replacing him. However a decent keeper to push him for the no.1 spot would be a good shout, particularly with Shay getting on a bit.

I think the problem in general with keepers is, that we only remember their mistakes. If a striker misses 3 sitters but scores the winner he's a hero. Conversely if a keeper pulls off a string of world class saves but then drops a ricket and we lose, he's the bad guy forever.
DaveAV1

Villa Keeper? 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:24 pm

HarryAVFC wrote:Think Guzan has been awful for the last two seasons. I'd sell him and sign a new number 1. 
Sherwood has said he wants the losers out and he's been a constant in our Loire 3 seasons
He's had a few less than stellar matches over the past couple of years but he's also saved us many times.
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:26 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:Really Harry I don't know what you watch. Anyone who isn't world class is crap and should be sold in your opinion. We'd have a new team every transfer window if we followed that course.

I think Guzan is decent. Considering he's playing for a team that has struggled since he became our no.1 and played behind a generally poor defence he's dome a well above average job. There are plenty of other areas of the team to spend money on before replacing him. However a decent keeper to push him for the no.1 spot would be a good shout, particularly with Shay getting on a bit.

I think the problem in general with keepers is, that we only remember their mistakes. If a striker misses 3 sitters but scores the winner he's a hero. Conversely if a keeper pulls off a string of world class saves but then drops a ricket and we lose, he's the bad guy forever.
That just about says it for me. Villa Keeper? 3769219917
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:31 pm

God I'm glad I blocked Harry and wish you lot wouldn't quote him. Sorry but I'm convinced he just tuns up to games, decides we've lost and heads home at halftime.

Guzan was brilliant when the defence was playing badly as the pressure was on him to be. When the pressure wasn't on as much he slacks off.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:32 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:Really Harry I don't know what you watch. Anyone who isn't world class is crap and should be sold in your opinion. We'd have a new team every transfer window if we followed that course.

It's very true. It's why younger attacking players are always easier to bring though - they can (usually) make their mistakes at the other end of the pitch!
kimbo
kimbo

Villa Keeper? 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:37 pm

You're right Kimbo. Generally the further back you play the older you seem to be when you peak. Center halves are still just learning when they get to around 26. Maybe it's because strikers tend to rely more on pace and instinct, where as center halves tend to improve with experience.
DaveAV1

Villa Keeper? 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:41 pm

When has GuzAn single handily kept is in games in the last 2 seasons?  Everything on target goes in
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Villa Keeper? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:46 pm

HarryAVFC wrote:When has GuzAn single handily kept is in games in the last 2 seasons?  Everything on target goes in
Are you sure you're not just posting for effect Harry? You're entirely welcome to your opinion but from the games that I've watched (which is almost all of them) that's simply not true.
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:48 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:
HarryAVFC wrote:When has GuzAn single handily kept is in games in the last 2 seasons?  Everything on target goes in
Are you sure you're not just posting for effect Harry? You're entirely welcome to your opinion but from the games that I've watched (which is almost all of them) that's simply not true.

I've watched all of them as well
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Villa Keeper? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:54 pm

HarryAVFC wrote:
villabromsgrove wrote:

I've watched all of them as well
We'll have to agree to disagree then because our views are wide apart.
villabromsgrove

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:11 pm

United at home last season? Mata, Van Persie, Wilson all goal bound except for Guzan.
West Ham also last season when he saved from Carroll?
City away the season before when we lost but would've been spanked if not for Brad.
Newcastle away the season before?

I might want Guzan to have competition but to say he hasn't kept us in matches or won us points isn't an opinion, it's moronic.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:20 pm

Hull 2 villa 0. 

4 shots on target, 2 scored 

Villa 1 Chelsea 2

2 shots on target 2 scored 

Villa 1 Stoke 2

2 shots on target, two scored 

Man City 3 villa 2

4 on target, 3 scored after Guzan decided to pass it to there striker 

Arsenal 5 villa 0 

8 shots on target 5 scored 

Villa 0 pool 2. 4 shots on target 2 goals by bloody Lambert and boring FFS 

Swansea 1 villa 0. 3 shots on target 

They were all from faily recent games. Teams don't need many shots on target to score. There won't be many games with a lot of shots on target and few scored

As I asked, when did Guzan last make a fantastic save in a game?
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Villa Keeper? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wookster Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:27 pm

HarryAVFC wrote:Hull 2 villa 0. 

4 shots on target, 2 scored 

Villa 1 Chelsea 2

2 shots on target 2 scored 

Villa 1 Stoke 2

2 shots on target, two scored 

Man City 3 villa 2

4 on target, 3 scored after Guzan decided to pass it to there striker 

Arsenal 5 villa 0 

8 shots on target 5 scored 

Villa 0 pool 2. 4 shots on target 2 goals by bloody Lambert and boring FFS 

Swansea 1 villa 0. 3 shots on target 

They were all from faily recent games. Teams don't need many shots on target to score. There won't be many games with a lot of shots on target and few scored

As I asked, when did Guzan last make a fantastic save in a game?

Quite a list but if you add to that a powder puff defence they all have to take the blame.

Biggest problem I have is that he kills the game too often, with a team that has for so long been known for its counter-attacking ability he should have launched balls up the field a lot quicker.

Yes his abilty to hoof it up is not reliable but so was Bozzie

With the evidence from the last games, Given is not the answer. He got bullied too easily by the opposition in set pieces
Wookster
Wookster

Villa Keeper? 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:32 pm

You say about the defence, but teams didn't actually have many shots on target did they ? It's not like we we were allowing 10-15 shots on target a game. Its2,3 or 4 game, and we still concede 2,3 or 4 a game 

Teams will eventually hit the target, and you'd hope if it's only a few times a game then your keeper will save some of them. He doesn't 

No, Given isn't good enough any more either. Both should be sold
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Villa Keeper? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:43 pm

Guzan's a good keeper but can't kick accurately for toffee. I like Given too but as has been suggested before, he doesn't control his defenders well. I thought Steer looked ok, plus can kick! I haven't a clue if he's good enough to challenge Guzan though, or if there's better out there for our number 1.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Villa Keeper? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Villa Keeper? Empty Villa Keeper

Post by 4BetLite Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Never been keen on Guzan, has periods of being a good shot stopper and thats it for me, positional awareness very much lacking and the guy is used to letting in too many and still getting praised, come on!

All down the spine is the key to great teams, we need world class all through to get this great club halfway back to where it should be...

UTV
4BetLite
4BetLite

Villa Keeper? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next