The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

20 Years Ago Today!

2 posters

Go down

20 Years Ago Today! Empty 20 Years Ago Today!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:10 am

I'm just going to leave this here:
20 Years Ago Today! BjsUZAYCEAAZ2OA

Back to top Go down

20 Years Ago Today! Empty Re: 20 Years Ago Today!

Post by Trotters Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:18 am

Who's the chunky bastard at the back?
Trotters
Trotters

20 Years Ago Today! 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:40 am

Best day ever!!!
whiteensign
whiteensign

20 Years Ago Today! 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:40 am

whiteensign
whiteensign

20 Years Ago Today! 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:35 am

My first trip to Wembley. Cracking day out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:31 am

Trotters wrote:Who's the chunky bastard at the back?
Peter Kay ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 am

Brilliant day............... from what I can remember. Drink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:09 pm

I can't believe that's twenty years ago. I was seven at the time and just remember being at a family function and watching bits and pieces in between. I was only starting to get into villa at the time, it was like a guilty pleasure because anybody in my family who had a team were Man Yoo fans.

For my seventh birthday one of my aunts had it read out on the radio that I was a Man Yoo fan and I was disgusted with her so this day was particularly pleasing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Big Ron's 1994 take on the squad

Ron Atkinson lifts the lid on his League Cup heroes of 1994.

Talking to club magazine Claret & Blue on the eve of the final which we won 20 years ago today, Atkinson gave his considered - and often hilarious - verdict on the squad of players charged with beating Man Utd.

Find his thoughts below.

DALIAN ATKINSON
A dress sense similar to Tony Daley but the exact opposite personality-wise.

Probably the fastest player at the club and the scorer of the most spectacular goals.

Always a potential match-winner.

MARK BOSNICH
He's a typical barmy Australian, although as a goalkeeper he has high potential.

He drives me up the wall sometimes with his kicking, especially dead-ball kicks with those size 13 boots.

That is a part of his game he has to work on if he is to attain his ambition of becoming the world's best.

He gives us plenty of stick about England's cricket team and he takes plenty from us about Aussie dress sense, or is it non-sense?

RAY HOUGHTON
Ray is a bit of a moaner but can be quite effervescent when party time comes around.

He's now reaching his best form again after a bit of a fall-off, just in time for our run-in and the World Cup.

Known as Razor, he can be sharp when the chances arise.

Like Steve Staunton, with all his Liverpool and Ireland experience, he is a tremendous asset to the club.

SHAUN TEALE
Known among the players as Ceefax because he always reckons he knows what's going on, sometimes before it even happens.

I'm not convinced that's always true on the field, though!

Leg pulls aside, he's a tough, rugged performer with a lot of ability who has handled the transition from lower division football into the Premier League very, very well.

Very much a DIY expert in his domestic life and does plenty for himself on the field, too.

Shaun's a handy man, no doubt about that.

GUY WHITTINGHAM
The quiet man, the ex-soldier with a certain military discipline.

I would imagine he's found life a little different after being a regular first-teamer and the country's top scorer at Portsmouth.

He's now involved with a strong squad of players as opposed to virtually being an automatic choice.

The players call him The Count, after Dracula, because of his black, sleeked-back hair.

They reckon he gives the impression of coming from Transylvania.

STEVE STAUNTON
Has a left foot like a wand.

It sometimes possesses that much magic it makes his right foot seem to disappear.

An inspirational player whom you're glad to have in your side.

Although a defender, he's an excellent attacking player who has done well, when required, in midfield.

His Irish team boss, Jack Charlton, has the view that you have to push him hard all the time by constantly putting demands on him.

Known as Stan, he's a dedicated pro but he comes into the category of being another moaner.

Stan is one of the best at the club - as a moaner, I mean.

NEIL COX
The lads call him Billy. I've no idea why.

He has the ability to be a regular first teamer and always acquits himself well when he's in.

He has shown himself to be versatile by playing in various roles.

PAUL McGRATH
Better known as God to the fans.

Supremely skilled but very much a shy and unassuming man who would find it easier to play in front of a 100,000 crowd than to make even a short speech in front of 20 school kids.

Still probably the best centre-half in Britain and deeply respected by the other players for his ability.

He's proved a few people wrong by the way he has gone on playing despite his knee problems.

He was a great purchase by the club at £450,000 but, don't forget, I brought him over from Ireland to Old Trafford originally for £25,000.

That must be one of my own best buys in football and he is certainly one of the best players I have worked with.

NIGEL SPINK
The old reliable pro in the squad.

Would still have a place but for Bozzie's progress and would still get in virtually every other side in the country.

Great to still have him around the place.

Has solid all-round strength as a goalkeeper, including something money-can't-buy - experience.

DEAN SAUNDERS
Bubbly, cheerful character, lovely to have around the place.

Even his lean spells without goals never seem to get him down.

Life and soul of the dressing room particularly now that Andy Townsend is teaching him how to play the guitar.

For the last few weeks everywhere Andy goes, Deano has followed behind, both of them clutching their guitars.

You should have seen them in Tenerife…you couldn't tell if we were a bloody rock band or a football club.

EARL BARRETT
The quiet man of the squad - and heaven knows we need one or two!

Certainly the fittest man at the club.

He's very versatile, having been successful in several positions.

Since his goal against Tottenham in the Coca-Cola Cup he reckons he could play striker, too. Are you sure Earl? Because we're not.

Unfortunately he's been fighting an injury which has probably affected him a little bit this season.

Despite that, he misses very few games and has always willingly swopped his role for the good of the team.

Another great guy to have on board.

TONY DALEY
His outrageous and extrovert dress sense and hair style doesn't totally match the quiet, self-effacing personality he possesses.

A real nice lad who sometimes doesn't quite realise the ability he's got, though he is beginning to come good again Dales or TD they call him and we would all like to see him reach his full potential which is enormous.

GARRY PARKER
A leading member of the dressing room wind-up brigade but he has to take plenty of flak himself.

He has been called everything from Barry Manilow to Gail Tyldesley out of Coronation Street - and takes it all in good heart.

He's got smashing ability and never shirks responsibility. He always wants the ball.

One of the keenest trainers in the club.

Although he has one of the longest journeys to Bodymoor he's always one of the first to arrive every morning.

He's very much appreciated as a skilful player by the rest of the lads.

He's lost his place a little bit this season but that merely reflects our midfield strength rather than any fault on his side.

Never lets you down when he does come in.

Distinctly NOT one of the moaners.

KEVIN RICHARDSON
Mr Reliable - day in and day out, in training and in games.

Always 100% committed and playing especially well just now.

He has won major honours throughout his career and is probably very unlucky not to have been selected for his country.

He is definitely another moaner.

Did I say Mr Reliable? Just call him Mr Grumpy too!

ANDY TOWNSEND
The left-handed guitar-playing Londoner who is captain of Ireland - and can be a bit of an entertainer on and off the field.

He's had more trouble with injury this season than he would have liked but now, in recent times, we are beginning to see the best of him.

I remember saying when I signed him that it was not my style usually to pay such a high fee for a 30-year-old.

It was his quality which decided it and I've never regretted the deal, far from it.

DWIGHT YORKE
A lovely kid, an absolute diamond.

He takes some stick off the boys but has always got a big ready smile and loads of enthusiasm.

I believe he will have a top future in the game and it's a shame he's been held back a little because of injury.

Yorkie will get his chance in the future, be sure of that.

STEVE FROGGATT
Known as Froggy, a very well-mannered, quiet lad but he gets absolutely slaughtered by the other lads, especially Deano, for his dress sense.

The lads swear blind he gets his gear from Oxfam.

There is no question that his injuries over the past 12 months have been a major blow for the club.

Some of our best performances over the past couple of seasons have been with him in the team.

He gives us shape and, in my opinion, has the ability to become a top player.

BIG RON ON HIMSELF
I am still the best player-manager in the game.

In the course of the last 12 months, I have rarely lost a five-a-side.

Always skippers the team which plays 'Tealy's Select.'

Big Ron's teams usually have too much natural flair for Tealy's side.

The gaffer is known to yell 'Give it to your best player' when wanting possession or 'there's a hush settled on the crowd' when he receives it.

Off the field he's a mean crooner…but basically an introvert who likes the quiet life!

AND….GRAHAM FENTON - not mentioned beforehand by Big Ron but a vital cog in the Wembley wheel

Around five days before the final, I went to watch Man Utd play Arsenal in a league game.

Arsenal played a certain system and I thought 'I like that.'

I thought 'we will play that way at Wembley against them.'

It wasn't an exact copy - it was slightly modified. They played three up front whereas we played one up front - Dean Saunders and two wide players.

Fortunately for us, on the day it worked well. Graham was a shock choice for a lot of people but he did great in that final.

Where are they now?

Mat Kendrick takes a look at what happened to Aston Villa's Coca-Cola Cup winners from

Today is the 20th anniversary of Aston Villa's Coca-Cola Cup Final win over Manchester United.

The triumph, sealed by Dalian Atkinson’s opening goal and a Dean Saunders double, is widely regarded by the claret and blue faithful as the club’s best moment of the past quarter of a century.

Here Mat Kendrick takes a look at the players who brought glory to Birmingham and looks at what they are doing now.

MARK BOSNICH, goalkeeper, born Sydney, aged 42, played for Manchester United, Sydney United, Villa (1991-99: 228 appearances), Manchester United, Chelsea, Central Coast Mariners, Sydney Olympic. Now works as a football analyst and commentator for Fox Sports in his native Australia.

EARL BARRETT, right-back, born Rochdale, aged 46, played for Manchester City, Chester, Oldham, Villa (1991-95: 150 appearances, two goals), Everton, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday. Obtained degree in Sports Science and is doing his coaching badges. Academy coach at Stoke. Ambassador for Kick Racism out of Football.

PAUL MCGRATH, centre-half, born London, aged 54, played for St Patrick’s, Manchester United, Villa (1989-97: 323 appearances, nine goals), Derby, Sheffield United. God. Lives in Wexford, part time pundit on Irish TV.

SHAUN TEALE, centre-half, born Southport, aged 50, played for Weymouth, Bournemouth, Villa (1991-95: 181 appearances, five goals), Tranmere, Motherwell, Carlisle, Southport. Has managed Burscough, Northwich and Chorley. Currently coaching at a soccer school in the USA.

STEVE STAUNTON, born Drogheda, aged 45, played for Liverpool, Bradford, Villa (1991-98, 2000-2003: 350 appearances, 20 goals), Crystal Palace, Coventry, Walsall. Managed Republic of Ireland national team, for whom he had won more than 100 caps. Was assistant manager at Leeds and had a spell in charge at Darlington. Has set up the Stephen Staunton Foundation which supports charities including the St Giles Hospice in Walsall and the Cystic Fibrosis Trust. Has scouted for Wolves and Sunderland and is now coaching in the Middle East.

GRAHAM FENTON, midfielder, born Whitley Bay, aged 39, played for Villa (1993-96: 39 appearances, three goals), West Brom, Blackburn, Leicester, Walsall, Stoke, St Mirren, Blackpool. Was assistant player manager at Blyth Spartans and is now manager of North Shields, who are currently top of Northern League Division Two.

KEVIN RICHARDSON, born Newcastle, aged 51,played for Everton, Watford, Arsenal, Real Sociedad, Villa (1991-95: 180 appearances, 16 goals), Coventry, Southampton, Barnsley, Blackpool. Villa’s 1994 captain won First Division titles at Everton and Arsenal and an FA Cup with the Toffees. Won one England cap. Held various coaching roles at Sunderland, was assistant at Stockport and is now under-17s head coach at Newcastle.

ANDY TOWNSEND, born Maidstone, aged 50, played for Welling United, Weymouth, Southampton, Norwich, Chelsea, Villa (1993-98: 176 appearances, 11 goals), Middlesbrough, West Bromwich Albion. He has had columns in several national newspapers and presented a show on TalkSport, but currently he is a pundit for ITV Sport’s Champions League, international and FA Cup coverage.

TONY DALEY, winger, born Birmingham, aged 46, played for Villa (1984-94: 290 appearances, 38 goals), Wolves, Watford, Walsall, Forest Green Rovers. Completed degree in sport and exercise science. Coached at Villa academy and has been fitness coach at Forest Green, Sheffield United and now Wolves.

DALIAN ATKINSON, born Shrewsbury, aged 46, striker, played for Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Real Sociedad, Villa (1991-95: 114 appearances, 46 goals), Fenerbache, Metz, Manchester City, Al-Ittihad, Daejeon Citizen, Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors. Now operates as a football agent and works in the financial services industry.

DEAN SAUNDERS, born Swansea, aged 49, striker, played for Swansea, Cardiff, Brighton, Oxford, Derby, Liverpool, Villa (1992-95: 144 appearances, 49 goals), Galatasaray, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield United, Benfica, Bradford. The 1994 double-goal hero averaged more than one every three games for Villa. Coached at Bradford and then at Blackburn and Newcastle. Was assistant boss with Wales, and also managed Wrexham and Doncaster before a disastrous spell in charge at Wolves. Now does media work with Sky and after-dinner speaking.

Substitute: NEIL COX, defender, aged 42, born Scunthorpe, played for Scunthorpe, Villa (1991-94: 57 appearances, four goals), Middlesbrough, Bolton, Watford, Cardiff, Crewe. Now works as assistant manager to Neil Ardley at AFC Wimbledon, who are mid-table in League Two.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Loved Big Ron's comments. Oh for a manager with a bit of personality rather than the grumbling, moaning, unintelligible, humourless gorm we have now.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Look what I found! The whole game:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Oh for a bit of that quality and flair now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:Look what I found! The whole game:

Fantastic. That's tomorrows viewing sorted. A whole day off at home. Bloody marvelous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Trotters wrote:Who's the chunky bastard at the back?

The wonderful jim paul ( kitman) , sadly passed away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks for making me feel awkward.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down