The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread

+29
GodzoneVilla
davevilla
VTID85
mickeywya
jvilla
Morgan Villa
thegaffer6
DeborahK
Jae1411
Olof Mellberg
Green Villan
Wookster
VillaBill
Fpuppys
bruka
HarryAVFC
CTVillan
Wigteke
GadgetMan
Morpheus
Jim
Staffslion
Thinman
heystally!
switters
Villa_Dan
My Old Man
FoxyAV
Trotters
33 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Can the Villa turn Stoke over?

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_lcap34%Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 34% 
[ 19 ]
Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_lcap30%Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 30% 
[ 17 ]
Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_lcap29%Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 16 ]
Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_lcap7%Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 56

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:44 pm

@bentekechris20: Let's start like this then

Back to top Go down

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:46 pm

@Ladbrokes: The bravest lino EVER ... #AVFC http://t.co/TlP8fFMaSb

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeywya Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Good game, best we've played for ages! If Bent had started we could have been 2-0 up at half time. Fully deserved win, looked solid at the back, Hutton was class.

(Grealish needs a hair cut!)
mickeywya

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by CTVillan Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Back-four were excellent, Guzan not so much. He was taking unnecessary risks and his distribution was dire.

Delph and Richardson played well, Westwood was just about ok. Weimann looked like he was continuing from where he left off last season, ie. poorly, but after his somewhat lucky goal he seemed to gain confidence and improved. N'Zog was poor for me, lots of running but too often no end product usually resulting in him losing possession. Gabby pretty much the same as Zoggy.

MOM for me was Keane's eyes when the ref cocked up.
CTVillan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Trotters wrote:Great result. Dodgy as fuck performance, especially in the first half.

Back four look sound for the first time in a long time although Stoke didn't test them to the limit.

The midfield is stunningly lightweight but we've got Dirty Sanchez to come.

Weimann and Gabby were utter shit. Yes, I know Weimann smashed one in but he's got the first touch of a rapist and is a shit football player. Gabby came alive more in the 2nd half (not hard as I don't think he'd realised the first half had actually started).

Other points that pissed me off no end:

Foul throws? Are you kidding? Now Hutton was fantastic but there's no excuse for that. And then getting a yellow card for wasting time taking a throw!

Gabby's yellow for kicking the ball 5cms was ridiculous. Why do it?

The free kick by N'Zog near the end, straight to one of the Stoke players then up to Ireland. If he was even half a football player that could have been the equaliser.

Guzan! Fuck my life! Has he been getting lessons from dickhead Bosnich on how to kick a ball? Aside from almost getting himself in the shit more than once, he was all over the road like a mad woman's dinner with his hoofing. Roy Keane's eyes were bleeding with rage.

As were mine at Bacuna's shot. What the actual fuck was that?

The free kick around the 60 minute mark...10 yards inside the Stoke half and well off to the side. Instead of taking the opportunity to get it in their box, we take a quick free kick sideways, sideways, backwards, back to Guzan who then hoofs it to a Stoke player ten yards further advanced from where we had the free kick. What is the exact purpose of that little exercise?

However, as I said, the back four looked good and seemed to work as a team for the most part. Vlaar was urging Sendeross and Cissokho to get up the field at one point but they didn't move and it was a good job too or they'd have been caught out so Vlaar needs to trust them now unlike the clown brothers, Baker and Clark.
Hutton and Cissokho got up and down the pitch well but weren't really supported when they did.

Westwood and Richardson tried hard and did ok but they're not brilliant players. Delph started well but looked lost amongst he he thuggery that Stoke out on the pitch.

N'Zog was great when he wasn't running into blind alleys....which was 70% of the time. Should not be changed for Grealish but kept on to complement him.

Grealish looked ok. Will get better and better with experience.

Well pleased with the result especially with the run of games ahead of us in a few weeks.

I did notice that at the end of the game that Keane looked pleased but Lambert looked like he'd lost 4-0. Something is making him more dour than usual. Miserable C**t.

Must agree with you on all of the above, but please note some people who skip read long post and have dyslexia may have have misinterpreted the comment about " Guzan! Fuck my life!".
Good job you live down under or a few Tbar members might just take you up on that offer.  lol! 
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Business as usual - villa last on motd Sad

@GaryLineker: MOTD running order: ManU/Swa, Ars/CP, Lei/Eve, WBA/Sun, WHU/ Tot, QPR/Hull, Sto/AV. @BBCOne at 10.30. It's a good start!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:11 pm

official site wrote:

Paul Lambert hailed Villa's "big, big performance" as they saw off Stoke 1-0 at the Britannia Stadium on the opening day of the 2014-15 season.

Lambert was thrilled with the creativity of his side as they carved out numerous chances before Andi Weimann hit the decisive winner early in the second half.

But the boss was also delighted with the performance of his back four - new signings Aly Cissokho and Philippe Senderos as well as returning Alan Hutton and skipper Ron Vlaar.

He said: "I thought we were excellent.

"In the first 10 minutes we were a wee bit edgy which you can be when you're coming away from home in this league. We couldn't get out of our half.

"But after that we were brilliant. We really were. We had enough chances to win a couple of games there. I really thought we were excellent.

"The goal was excellent. I thought we were a threat all day long. Gabby Agbonlahor's pace was frightening at times. I knew we would create. That's never been a problem.

"We were resolute defensively. The back four were great.

"Aly Cissokho has been thrown in at the deep end but he was outstanding. For his debut, he was fantastic.

"Ron Vlaar has only played 45 minutes since the World Cup. Alan Hutton and Philippe Senderos were fantastic.

"The whole back four - Hutton, Vlaar, Senderos and Cissokho - along with Guzan were outstanding. They weren't bullied and stood up to everything.

"It was an outstanding team display. That was a big, big performance.

"The commitment from the players was excellent. Jack Grealish came on at 18-years-old and didn't look out of place. He has a massive future in the game if he keeps his feet on the ground. Charles N'Zogbia has come back in after a year out too.

"The fans were brilliant for us also."

As well as those on the field, Lambert is also relishing the prospect of a full squad when he gets a number of other players back too.

He added: "We have Carlos Sanchez coming in on Monday. We have Libor Kozak and Christian Benteke coming back. We also have Joe Cole coming back hopefully pretty soon too."

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Eastie wrote:Business as usual - villa last on motd Sad

@GaryLineker: MOTD running order: ManU/Swa, Ars/CP, Lei/Eve, WBA/Sun, WHU/ Tot, QPR/Hull, Sto/AV. @BBCOne at 10.30. It's a good start!

Yeah! but it wasn't the best of matches, both Villa and Stoke played poorly. watched ManU/Swa, Sto/AV and Ars/Cp would like to see more coverage of the others! All in all not bad coming last, were still 3rd in the PL  Scarf Waving 
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Been at work today so no chance to watch, looking forward to MOTD. Happy as Larry taking three points off Stoke.

This I feel is a very important "take away" from Fpuppys' post and worth repeating:

Fpuppys wrote:we're 3rd in the PL    Scarf Waving 

Who'd've thought that eh? Very Happy
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by Olof Mellberg Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:59 pm

We was 2nd before United kicked off though....

*Runs and hides* lol :)
Olof Mellberg
Olof Mellberg

Back to top Go down

Post by davevilla Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Don't post very often but thought I would start. Just got back from Stoke and was delighted with everything I saw to today. It was a class performance I never thought Stoke would score, even when when they went behind and they had more of the ball our midfield and defense handled them well. As the home team they had only 2 shots on target. Gabby in first half was poor but when he was moved in the second half he played better, still not good, but better. The new players all looked comfortable and did the jobs they were meant to do. Tactically we got it right today, out thinking Hughes in both halves,and if Gabby could find the net from 4 yards when there is no goalie we could have won by more. The fans were good as well fantastic atmosphere both before, during and after the match, and despite what is often thought no negativity towards Lambert who as he left waved to the crowd who waved back before saluting the players. All in all if we play like that with Sanchez and Christian to return we are going to have a decent season.
Edited for ya pal.
davevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by davevilla Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Sorry it should read we are going to have a decent season
davevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:25 pm

davevilla wrote:Sorry it should read we are going to have a decent season
Done Dave. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by My Old Man Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Just go back and i am wrecked lol.

Put that one down to Roy Keane. Midfield far to deep first half, second we picked it up and looked solid and dangerous. Happy, but still a long way to go.
My Old Man
My Old Man

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Glad to have you posting DaveVilla
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by GodzoneVilla Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Just finished watching the game here in NZ - pretty pleased with what I saw. Team needs Sanchez in it. Midfield seemed to lie too deep in the first half, probably used to last season, almost in fear of protecting baker and clark. There not there anymore thank god. Really impressed with all those at the back. Cissokho's position was pretty good I thought, liked his crossing also! Maybe Sendross is greatest strength will be his organisation and his prescence alone, Vlarr while great last year, looked twice the player. Yes the world cup had a big effect on him, but having a trusted defender next to him allows him to control everything at the back.

Yep, I don't rate Clark or Baker and thankfully I won't see much of them this year. Gabby doesn't work as a lone striker, but I guess playing that formation means we are limited with who can play there at the moment.

The only player I was slightly dissapointed in was Nzog, I think if he is going to play that role he needs to put more of a mark on the game. Didn't do much wrong but didn't really control anything around him, which he needs to do with gabby as the striker in front of him.
GodzoneVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Back four was very promising. Hopefully can stay settled and solid through out all season now

Sanchez will be good alongside Delph

Zoggy still don't think he will make it with is, especially not as a winger. Today again shown we need a player or two in this month to play out wide and create. Wiemann and Zoggy were forced to do it today and it didn't took good
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by davevilla Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:14 am

Away from home you wouldn't normally play with wingers as such, I thought they did ok, Zoggy set up the goal and Wiemann scored. Considering it was Zoggy's first match for over a year I think he did well. What will be interesting is how we set up at home which will be different. But considering the negative comments by so many pundits I thought we looked solid, with new players coming in, or returning from injury we are in a better position than last year. One other thing we looked physically stronger today, the back four looked big confident players and that spread confidence to the rest. Apart from the opening 15 minutes or so we were never in trouble.
davevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnyVilla Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:54 am

Thought it was pretty good overall. Took awhile to get in the game, and Gabby shocking early. Back four were solid throughout. Looked more composed than when the young wildmen are in there. Midfield was a little anonymous, with occasional moments.
Overall a decent opening, and hopefully things to build on.
MinnyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:17 am

LOL at the fat boy!

Trotters
Trotters

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by GodzoneVilla Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:04 am

davevilla wrote:Away from home you wouldn't normally play with wingers as such, I thought they did ok, Zoggy set up the goal and Wiemann scored. Considering it was Zoggy's first match for over a year I think he did well. What will be interesting is how we set up at home which will be different. But considering the negative comments by so many pundits I thought we looked solid, with new players coming in, or returning from injury we are in a better position than last year. One other thing we looked physically stronger today, the back four looked big confident players and that spread confidence to the rest. Apart from the opening 15 minutes or so we were never in trouble.

The physicality the team showed was great. Last season was men against boys alot of the time. At least the back four won't take any shit (and if they do Hutton may slip in the odd wild tackle Razz )

When that fatboy started doing that Trotters, I almost wet myself. I wish no harm on any Villa fan, but man I hope he got a wee chase out of them, make him realise the virtues of a healthy diet and exercise regime Laughing 
GodzoneVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:15 am

davevilla wrote:Away from home you wouldn't normally play with wingers as such, I thought they did ok, Zoggy set up the goal and Wiemann scored. Considering it was Zoggy's first match for over a year I think he did well. What will be interesting is how we set up at home which will be different. But considering the negative comments by so many pundits I thought we looked solid, with new players coming in, or returning from injury we are in a better position than last year. One other thing we looked physically stronger today, the back four looked big confident players and that spread confidence to the rest. Apart from the opening 15 minutes or so we were never in trouble.

A bit far fetched to say he set up the goal, he was doing his headless chicken impression and running to the left and lost the ball, but thankfully stokes defending for the goal as none existent, but 3 points away to stoke I'll take all day long.
CoE82
CoE82

Back to top Go down

Post by lukevilla Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:18 am

Dont know why you all happy, we have dropped down a place since yesturday morning  Wink 

Joking aside excellent result and lets build on this!
lukevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by davevilla Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:10 pm

[quote="CoE82"]

A bit far fetched to say he set up the goal, he was doing his headless chicken impression and running to the left and lost the ball, but thankfully stokes defending for the goal as none existent, but 3 points away to stoke I'll take all day long.[

But he made the run into the box, when you do that defenders will sometimes make mistakes, or you can get lucky. If he doesn't make the run there is no goal. He did that more than once and yesterday because we often had 3 or 4 people in the box when we attacked there is always a chance that you get a lucky break. It wasn't a slide rule pass no, but football is more than that.
davevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Kind of agree. N'Zog runs down blind alleys an awful lot - usually because there are no players moving off him and partly because his head is down.

But if you run into or around a box ten times, one of those times something might come off.

I think N'Zog would work well with Grealish. I just think they'd be on the same wavelength (certainly not the same hairdresser!). I was disappointed when Grealish came in in place of N'Zog. Let's hope it was a fitness issue and not Lambert's regular plan.
Trotters
Trotters

Stoke v Villa - all in one match thread  - Page 4 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next