The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Steve Bruce thread

+37
andrew24561
UnclePanda
LVBrit
bruka
STO67
De Kuip
FoxyAV
deadbuzzardalive
VTID85
avfc forever
jeffvilla
Fpuppys
Jae1411
smetro
Terry Derry
rogermuffin69
danclare82
Saunders82
achilles
gdale1
villajk
Wriggle
Army villain
ember
mefromhere
Dazzle
gaffer85
Boldfinger
Trotters
Dions_Bald_Head
NARLA24
The Utterer
DelboyVilla
Villa_Dan
big ming
Gordonsleftboot
AstonThriller
41 posters

Page 9 of 43 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26 ... 43  Next

Go down

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by Guest Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:13 pm

It's amusing how there's always an excuse for us not being able to play football under Bruce.

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Today's game wasn't a one-off because it was a derby, the football under Bruce will always be ugly, as we've witnessed over and over again. But whilst we're getting results he won't be going anywhere.

We either fail with Bruce, in which case he might leave, but we'll be stuck in this division, with our prospects looking pretty bleak, given the apparent FFP situation. Or Bruce gets us promoted, and we're stuck with him and his brand of football, that would see us as relegation favourites in the Premier league.
deadbuzzardalive

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 pm

That's why Xia and co will have to think very carefully about who manages the club if we get promotion. We all know Bruce's record in the prem, and it just seems like we'll be a team scrapping for our lives if we get back up. Although with the plans Xia and co have talked about, we may end up spending quite a bit in an effort to consolidate ourselves at the big table again. Either way it should be an interesting situation to look at.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:58 pm

I personally think we're underachieving and should be looking for better than scraping into the play-offs. Need to close that gap on the two asap, hopefully Norwich and QPR do us a favour on Tuesday and then we help ourselves on Wednesday, with Preston losing yesterday though, it won't be easy, as they'll be desperate to make amends.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Bit surprised by this tweet, but I agree with it...

Dr. Tony Xia‏Verified account @Dr_TonyXia 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @downthelamb
Can’t be pleased for sure. We still need improve esp. away results. Next one is another big one.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 am

gdale1 wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:So how long exactly are we gonna stick with this kinda football?

How long can a fat charlatan pretending to be a hoofball merchant be allowed to have us playing this fucking shit?

It's beyond me.

FFS I don't post very often but for once give it a rest, either get behind your team or go support another team.

very very well said matey

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Bit surprised by this tweet, but I agree with it...

Dr. Tony Xia‏Verified account @Dr_TonyXia 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @downthelamb
Can’t be pleased for sure. We still need improve esp. away results. Next one is another big one.

I'm not surprised. Xia has pumped tens of millions of pounds into the club and bought some of the best players in the Championship. We've finally defaulted by luck to a 4-4-2 (with variations) but Bruce's contribution doesn't appear to be obvious. Having said that I'm still trying to work out yesterday's match, where I thought Whelan actually made sense (for once) but so too would a 4-5-1 if he's going to insist on Kodjia leading the line. Bearing in mind almost every ball forward was lumped up to Kodjia and we seemed to be sitting too deep to support either Adomah or Snodgrass's runs forward it was probably a good move to bring on the latter for Jedi, but to me it screams of the tactic and formation being wrong in the first place. At least he tried to make changes during the match, which is one thing he doesn't seem to have done before. I thought Hutton did well against Jota but had he had another midfielder to help, rather than Onomah up front with Kodjia, it would have helped massively. Actually, looking at the player positions here: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1193402/MatchReport/England-Championship-2017-2018-Birmingham-Aston-Villa it seems Adomah was up front with Onemah behind, assuming these were an average of positions through the match. Either way, Hutton was too exposed. I bet Xia is receiving a lot of data about how well Bruce is doing and I bet his situation is under constant review.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm not surprised that Xia is unhappy hence me saying that I agree with him, I was just a bit surprised that he made it publicly known, after a result that many would perceive as a good one.

If we fail to beat Preston, who from what I've heard have most of their central defence missing, then surely Bruce's job will be on the line, that would mean only one win in the last four games, and us probably outside the play-offs and adrift of the top two, we're underachieving as it is, can't let it get any worse.

I'm convinced that if we had a manager who played possession football, and didn't set us up like we were the underdogs, rather than one of the best squads in the division, then we'd achieve automatic promotion.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:04 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I'm not surprised that Xia is unhappy hence me saying that I agree with him, I was just a bit surprised that he made it publicly known, after a result that many would perceive as a good one.

If we fail to beat Preston, who from what I've heard have most of their central defence missing, then surely Bruce's job will be on the line, that would mean only one win in the last four games, and us probably outside the play-offs and adrift of the top two, we're underachieving as it is, can't let it get any worse.

I'm convinced that if we had a manager who played possession football, and didn't set us up like we were the underdogs, rather than one of the best squads in the division, then we'd achieve automatic promotion.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I get where you're coming from. I'm not happy with Bruce. I just don't get how his purchases (and loans) work, when he doesn't use them properly. He buys Hourhane and then doesn't seem to know how to play him, eventually sticking him in the reserves. I read somewhere that it's Hourihane's inability to play for such a big club like Villa, when really I don't think plucking him from a successful first half of 2016/17 should relate to his complete lack of results for us in the second half of last season. Hogan comes in, doesn't work up front on his own, doesn't work with Kodjia, ends the season with about the same number of goals as McCormack, who's had a falling out with Bruce and is on the naughty step. That's what, £20-25million in stikers who scored at will at previous clubs then come here and don't get anything. It stinks of players being bought because their stats are good but then not given the opportunity to play to their strengths. We hear Bruce tell us he spent last season making sure we don't concede goals but then disrupts what was a very good central defensive partnership by selling Baker and bringing in Terry, who we're presumably going to have to replace at the end of the season whether we go up or not. Who knows. Chester doesn't look so good now, mainly I suspect because of Elmohamedy, who is primarily an attacking player in the wrong position (I think he's played ok of late but we have De Laet who appears to be miles better) or maybe because he's lost the captaincy. So now we have a defence conceding goals, but while we now have a midfield starting to work and score goals, we don't have many coming from our strikers.

I just can't work out what's going on. Sure, we've been winning matches but no one can say we've done it with any conviction. I've said before I don't understand the point of Whelan (or Jedi) other than to come on to shore up a lead, although I think they both did a good job yesterday, albeit when it became abundantly clear our attacking players weren't having much luck, our midfield needed strengthening and our only tactic seemed to be a ball over the top to Kodjia.

As much as I like Kodjia (and hopefully he'll go on a goal scoring run) he is selfish and we may well be better playing Davis and Hogan up front together. The only way it seems this will happen is when Kodjia gets injured and it's forced on us. Drop Onomah back alongside Hourihane and lose Whelan, have lines of attack through the middle or wide to Adomah and Snodgrass, stabilise the back four by replacing Elmo with De Laet, play a 4-4-2 with Kodjia if he can learn to play with a strike partner or a 4-5-1 with him up front on his own. Maybe even try Grealish behind Kodjia (let O-Hare give him some competition) as was Bruce's original plan. For me though there are issues with Whelan and Elmo having guaranteed starting positions and playing Kodjia the wrong way.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Kodjia's a doubt for Wednesday and could be out for longer, as he's injured the same ankle that kept him out previously. I think Bruce should use it as an opportunity to try Davis and Hogan up front, especially against Preston who have a lot of injury problems in defence.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Forgot about that. I reckon Davis and Hogan could well be a perfect pairing.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:36 am

FoxyAV wrote:Forgot about that. I reckon Davis and Hogan could well be a perfect pairing.

Hogan is such a disappointment to me. He just looks shite. No doubt lack of confidence, but I'm not sure he has the quality. I'd honestly play Davis/O'Hare or Davis/RHM or similar if Kodjia is out.

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:37 am

I would prefer Davis and O'Hare (what does the kid need to do to get a chance)?
achilles
achilles

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:46 am

Joppe84 wrote:
FoxyAV wrote:Forgot about that. I reckon Davis and Hogan could well be a perfect pairing.

Hogan is such a disappointment to me. He just looks shite. No doubt lack of confidence, but I'm not sure he has the quality. I'd honestly play Davis/O'Hare or Davis/RHM or similar if Kodjia is out.

I think he's all there, just needs some friends to play with. Sadly he isn't physically capable of bringing down all the long balls Bruce tells everyone to punt his way and for most of his time last season IIRC he was on his own up front without any support. Kodjia didn't want to play with him which kind of left him in the wilderness, neither able to play with Kodjia nor replace him. He also had a load of bad luck and just needs to get a goal or two and go on a roll. Davis, on the other hand, brings teammates into play and looks the kind of player anyone like Hogan or McCormack would bend over backwards to have as a strike partner.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 am

Unfortunately Hepburn-Murphy has been injured for a while now, and seems to be a bit of a crock in that sense, I really thought this year was going to be a big one for him as well.

As for O'Hare, he's not really a striker as such, but definitely deserves a chance somewhere in the team. He won't start tomorrow though after playing last night.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:55 am

FoxyAV wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:

I think he's all there, just needs some friends to play with. Sadly he isn't physically capable of bringing down all the long balls Bruce tells everyone to punt his way and for most of his time last season IIRC he was on his own up front without any support. Kodjia didn't want to play with him which kind of left him in the wilderness, neither able to play with Kodjia nor replace him. He also had a load of bad luck and just needs to get a goal or two and go on a roll. Davis, on the other hand, brings teammates into play and looks the kind of player anyone like Hogan or McCormack would bend over backwards to have as a strike partner.

Davis is exactly the type of player, players love as you know that if you support him he will hold the ball up and give you the opportunity to get into position for a pass, a total team player!
Kodjia is the total opposite, give him the ball and stand still and let him do his own thing, which last season was immense but he is definitely struggling this season (so far)!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am

achilles wrote:
I would prefer Davis and O'Hare (what does the kid need to do to get a chance)?

For me he fits into a 4-5-1 with Onomah in DM mode flanked by Hourihane and O'Hare, with Snodgrass and Adomah on the wings and any one of our strikers up front. This, however, depends on Whelan being injured or dropped and I can't see it happening. Bruce wanted to play Grealish behind Kodjia in a 4-4-1-1 this season, with presumably Lansbury next to Whelan, and look how that turned out. Grealish is almost back, and surely he and O'Hare are going to be competition for each other, which leaves O'Hare where? If he gets into starting 11 it might be curtains for Grealish's ambition to make something of himself this year. I really wanted to see him play as a number 10 but now it seems we're spoilt for choice from two academy players.

Out of interest, where did O'Hare play against Newcastle yesterday? I assumed he was a number 10 but did he play up front in a 4-4-2, or behind a striker in a 4-4-1-1?

I'd love to see O'Hare play (especially with Davis) but we seem to be playing a 4-4-2 and if he's a number 10 where does he fit in if Bruce's own purchase Hogan is available and both Whelan and Hourihane seem to have midfield tied up with Adomah and Snodgrass on the wings?

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Unfortunately Hepburn-Murphy has been injured for a while now, and seems to be a bit of a crock in that sense, I really thought this year was going to be a big one for him as well.

As for O'Hare, he's not really a striker as such, but definitely deserves a chance somewhere in the team. He won't start tomorrow though after playing last night.

I would like O'Hare to play the number 10 role and play off Davis, as you say he is not an out and out striker but he gets into great positions by his reading of the game and he can finish.
Unfortunately as you point out he has no chance tomorrow, again as he played a full game last night.
With Bruce's negative mindset we are never going to improve and impose ourselves on other teams, just grind out results... hopefully!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 am

achilles wrote:
FoxyAV wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:

Davis is exactly the type of player, players love as you know that if you support him he will hold the ball up and give you the opportunity to get into position for a pass, a total team player!
Kodjia is the total opposite, give him the ball and stand still and let him do his own thing, which last season was immense but he is definitely struggling this season (so far)!

It's a shame he's struggling this season but Bruce needs to decide what he wants. If he plays O'Hare or Grealish then he can afford to have Hogan on, and we'd have to play the ball forward rather than punting it long. If not then Davis is our man (Ononmah and Adomah have been tried up front but just aren't, are they?). I don't think Bruce can (or wants to) train the team to play a different way, I reckon we'll see Davis start up front on his own as target for the long ball we'll play every time the goalie or defence gets the ball. And ultimately we'll end up selling Hogan in January to buy in Hernandez.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 am

ive said it once and ill say it again "sort out the fockin throw ins steve or walk away" and stop picking "washed up has been terry".

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 am

jimbop wrote:ive said it once and ill say it again "sort out the fockin throw ins steve or walk away" and stop picking "washed up has been terry".

Bit drastic to resign over throw-ins and we only have to 'put up with the washed up Terry for this season' so don't fret yourself! The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 4025243045
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 am

achilles wrote:
jimbop wrote:ive said it once and ill say it again "sort out the fockin throw ins steve or walk away" and stop picking "washed up has been terry".

Bit drastic to resign over throw-ins and we only have to 'put up with the washed up Terry for this season' so don't fret yourself! The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 4025243045

hahah, gotta take a screen shot, someone has actually posted after we WIN. very strange.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:08 pm

I remember years ago I dabbled in a bit of day-trading. Bruce gives me the same feeling: you'd buy a stock that looks for certain that it'll go up but the fucker goes absolutely nowhere. So you offfload it and the minute you do, it starts flying so you get back on it. And then it dies in the arse for no reason. Then it starts going up again but you don't get too excited as it's still not worth what you paid for it and you just know that it'll disappoint again soon enough.

Trotters
Trotters

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Trotters wrote:I remember years ago I dabbled in a bit of day-trading. Bruce gives me the same feeling: you'd buy a stock that looks for certain that it'll go up but the fucker goes absolutely nowhere. So you offfload it and the minute you do, it starts flying so you get back on it. And then it dies in the arse for no reason. Then it starts going up again but you don't get too excited as it's still not worth what you paid for it and you just know that it'll disappoint again soon enough.

just what does the bloke have to do! you seem to have got very negative trotts!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:36 pm

wheres dazzle? The Steve Bruce thread - Page 9 498107619

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 43 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26 ... 43  Next