The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Steve Bruce thread

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by jimbop on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:15 pm

@Dazzle wrote:
@jimbop wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:
@jimbop wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:
@Joppe84 wrote:Much easier to just ignore him.

Don't agree regarding Elmo. I'd have Bree in any day of the week, but I wouldn't change anything as long as we're winning.

I agree, he appears to be a halfwit.

Oh, I'd rather invest in Bree and if we did make it to the Premier League Elmo would be ripped to shreds but with this newfound formation Bruce might have chanced upon something we've all known for some time - by engaging our attacking players and by playing them correctly we can actually beat opponents by attacking them, rather than sitting back, hoping they don't score and hoping we'll catch them on the counter. Elmo is an attacking player, which is entirely at odds with what Bruce has shown us in the first couple of months of the season, but if he works with Snoddy and we score more than we concede then let's go with the flow. We have other options if we need them.

I'd love us to have a new manager lined up and I believe we're winning in spite of Bruce but if it's working then best leave it for now. We're going to be torn apart in the PL playing the way we play but maybe the plan is to get there, replace the manager, replace most of the players and see how that goes. I don't like that but we'll just have to see how it goes.

yet again where have I abused someone? halfwit? you don't know me, so keep behind your keyboard with your insults.

No, I don't, but that's how you come across. Besides, how many posts past your final post is this? We thought you were off but you continue to bless us with your valuable insights.  

I come across that way because I support bruce and you don't? another one where a bit of rubber would of saved us all.  very cowardly abusing someone from behind a keyboard.  no more insults please.

Best go find yourself a soft-play area Bye

I cant, your always in them, watch the police don't catch u.

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:27 pm

@mefromhere wrote:It could always be worse ... we could have Southgate in charge!!

Fucking hell if we had Borat in charge I think I would actually kill myself
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 am

Seems like Bruce will forever divide the Villa fan base.
Lets not forget that as far as i am aware from what Dr Xia said" Bruce is a proven Championship manager."
Does not mean that he will be with us for long should we get promotion.
Seems he is part f the plan, not the final answer.
NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 am

@NARLA24 wrote:Seems like Bruce will forever divide the Villa fan base.
Lets not forget that as far as i am aware from what Dr Xia said" Bruce is a proven Championship manager."

exactly the case

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:47 am

@jimbop wrote:

exactly the case
Thats what i think mate. Promotion first is the key and then the next part of the plan will take place.
Bruce would not be the man for us in the Prem but as long as he does the job in the Championship then i will be very happy.
Never been a Bruce fan but the latest run of results give us some hope at least. So, although we are divided on him lets just see if he can keep this run going. Much toughet games now. Wolves, Fulham and Blues. Three big tests for us to get through.
NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 am

@NARLA24 wrote:
@jimbop wrote:

exactly the case
Thats what i think mate. Promotion first is the key and then the next part of the plan will take place.
Bruce would not be the man for us in the Prem but as long as he does the job in the Championship then i will be very happy.
Never been a Bruce fan but the latest run of results give us some hope at least. So, although we are divided on him lets just see if he can keep this run going. Much toughet games now. Wolves, Fulham and Blues. Three big tests for us to get through.

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 am

The problem with that is taking a style of play, a coherent team and momentum into the PL if we do get promoted. It's all good and well getting there but what next, do we spend a massive amount of money on new players like we did every year under Lerner? I can see a few of our players working in the PL (Hourihane, Kodjia, Adomah, Chester and one or two more) but we're going to need a replacement for Terry, Elmo would be ripped to shreds and we'd be giving Snodgrass, Onomah and potentially Johnstone back, Whelan and Jedi would still be in the PL if they were good enough and so on. Davis has been great since the stars aligned to allow him to show what he can do but the likes of O'Hare should be on the subs bench and coming on more often. Sure, Bruce could well get us up but we'll be starting afresh with a new manager and new players. Could be a rocky ride. I still don't want Bruce.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am

But, for me, that's part of the problem (referring to @NARLA24 post) . In an ideal world we'd have a manager who could take us up & then stay with us, developing the transition of young players & new players so that we hit the PL with a playing ethos & continuity. Otherwise we're changing the manager yet again.

For a manager with proven ability in this league, it feels as though Bruce is feeling his way along, stumbling across a formula after buying enough very good players. I never say never - this run may prove to be the turning point where things click - but I find myself hoping rather than feeling confident.
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

We lasted half of last season without seeing Houriahane doing what he does now. I wonder why? He, like Davis, only came into the squad through circumstances beyond Bruce's control. Would Adomah be on the left had Green not been injured? Probably not.

Gollini complained he came to us on the condition that he had an Italian-speaking goalkeeping coach, who went when RDM did but wasn't replaced. For a 21-year-old in a foreign country that's an acceptable request, but Gollini was dropped just as I thought he was starting to get into the swing of things, and replaced by Johnstone, who has grown into the job and is doing really well. So regardless of whether Bruce was involved in Gollini going, if we can buy Johnstone then I think we have the goalie we've been waiting for probably since Friedel left.

Who else has Bruce signed. Lansbury hasn't worked out, although I reckon he'd make a cracking partnership alongside Hourihane. We'll not find out until both Whelan and Jedi are injured, and both Onomah and O'Hare probably have more of a chance. Taylor looks good in defence. Hogan's been a complete failure, although he looks good enough to go on a run were he given the time to score a goal or two and had a Grealish behind him. Elmo and Snodgrass look ok together in the Championship but it's early days and I just don't see what Elmo has either in defence or attack that De Laet or Bree don't. He's better at successfully crossing the ball than Hutton but that's about it. Terry is doing better now but I'm not convinced he is any better than Baker.

I don't know. It feels like now we have the defence Bruce wanted he's been able to concentrate on attack, but again it feels like it's only by chance.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Whether it is by chance, luck or whatever you want to call it, I think we should just accept it and go with the flow. First and foremost we have to get promotion and Bruce has to achieve that this season or resign.
Ideally it would be better to have a manager to get us promotion and have the ability to stabilise us in the PL but unfortunately I don't think Bruce is the man for the PL although if he got us promotion I think he should at least have a crack at the task.
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 pm

@achilles wrote:Whether it is by chance, luck or whatever you want to call it, I think we should just accept it and go with the flow. First and foremost we have to get promotion and Bruce has to achieve that this season or resign.
Ideally it would be better to have a manager to get us promotion and have the ability to stabilise us in the PL but unfortunately I don't think Bruce is the man for the PL although if he got us promotion I think he should at least have a crack at the task.

Short of a few hundred million to buy the club as I am there's very little chance I'll be doing anything to directly affect Bruce's position and I don't have access to any fake sheiks to offer him envelopes stuffed with notes. I'm happy to see the team win but it doesn't mean I like Bruce, his tactic (?), training, substitutions and what he says in general (especially blaming the players when we lose).
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Foxyknoxy wrote: Who else has Bruce signed. Lansbury hasn't worked out, although I reckon he'd make a cracking partnership alongside Hourihane.

I normally agree with you, but not on this. They are both players that want to dictate the pace of the game and that never works. You need a different type of player next to both of them.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 pm

@Joppe84 wrote:
Foxyknoxy wrote:    Who else has Bruce signed. Lansbury hasn't worked out, although I reckon he'd make a cracking partnership alongside Hourihane.    

I normally agree with you, but not on this. They are both players that want to dictate the pace of the game and that never works. You need a different type of player next to both of them.

Does Bruce actually watch these players he signs, as I don't think that Lansbury and Hourihane complement each other very well. I would like to see Onomah instead of Whelan alongside Hourihane but at the moment you don't change a winning side!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 am

Lansbury is just a weird player. I'm not sure what he really excells at. He has drive and looks like a box to box player, but he doesn't really do it for me.
If I were working for Xia I'd tell him we need to sign a young Whelan/Jedinak. Get in a 20/21 year old who can handle the defensive duties. Whelan and Jedinak are decent players, but to me their legs are gone.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Nevertheless, Bruce, who celebrates a year in charge today, currently has a win ratio of 44 per-cent which is better than any of Villa’s previous THIRTEEN managers.

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm

@jimbop wrote:Nevertheless, Bruce, who celebrates a year in charge today, currently has a win ratio of 44 per-cent which is better than any of Villa’s previous THIRTEEN managers.

To put that in perspective it has been achieved in the Championship!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:45 pm

@Joppe84 wrote:
Foxyknoxy wrote:    Who else has Bruce signed. Lansbury hasn't worked out, although I reckon he'd make a cracking partnership alongside Hourihane.    

Oddly I've been quoted as 'Foxyknoxy'!

You're probably right and elsewhere I've also said I'd like Onomah or O'Hare in Whelan's place. I still think Lansbury and Hourihane looked very good together against Brighton at the end of last season and one or the other was always forward, something we'd not seen in a while with our striker usually isolated.

FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:51 pm

@achilles wrote:
@jimbop wrote:Nevertheless, Bruce, who celebrates a year in charge today, currently has a win ratio of 44 per-cent which is better than any of Villa’s previous THIRTEEN managers.

has it? oh I thought bruce managed us in the prem Rolling Eyes

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:04 pm

@achilles wrote:

We accounted for a quarter of the total spending in the Championship last season, which is presumably why we only finished 13th, with relegated Rotherham and Wigan plus our friends in blue the only three teams scoring fewer goals than us. That was with three of the league's best strikers in Kodjia, Hogan and McCormack and two of the best midfielders for assists in Adomah and Hourihane. Admittedly Hogan and Hourihane only joined for the second half of the season, with Hogan scoring 1 goal from 12 appearances (having scored 14 goals from 25 in the first half of the season at Brentford) and Hourihane 1 goal from 17 (6 goals from 25 in the first half of the season at Barnsley). I forgot Lansbury! 6 goals from 17 games for Forest in the first half of last season, no goals from 18 in the second half with us. Even McCormac only managed two goals in the 20 matches he played for us since Bruce took over.

I think my point is how good could we have been had Xia bought better players and spent a lot more than £72million last season.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Or perhaps it's about how much fun we can have with statistics.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:03 pm

@jimbop wrote:
@achilles wrote:

Obviously that is were you are going wrong then, no problem I will put you right!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

@achilles wrote:
@jimbop wrote:
@achilles wrote:

Obviously that is were you are going wrong then, no problem I will put you right!

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by ember on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:48 pm

@NARLA24 wrote:Thats what i think mate. Promotion first is the key and then the next part of the plan will take place.

The ideal scenario is that in less than nine months time Bruce is bemoaning the fact that he hasn't been given the opportunity to manage the club in the PL and that he felt he has earned the right having earned us promotion.

Further, in twelve months time, his media mates are saying what a harsh business football is and he would also have Villa in the top six had he been given the chance he had earned for himself. At this point, Bruce will be sulking in Portugal realising the pinnacle of his managerial career has been and gone.
ember

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 pm

anyone see brucie's press conf? he needs to sort out the way he sits in his chair or focking get rid, hes gotta sort it out.

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 pm

@jimbop wrote:anyone see brucie's press conf? he needs to sort out the way he sits in his chair or focking get rid, hes gotta sort it out.

I know you're one for sticking with the seat & sorting it out, but I say get rid. I know it would cost a lot to replace & there's always the concern that the next chair we get in may be even worse, but I'd like to see a chair there that'll be successful at holding an arse whilst also developing arses for the future!
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum