The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to?

+41
mefromhere
jamavfc1
tonyp
Mooseman
gdav
Terry Derry
EbeneezerGoode
bruka
The Utterer
avfc85
Jae1411
thinlizzy
Synopsis
jeffvilla
Army villain
NARLA24
Born Under The Holte End
KMitch
DaveAV1
mickmac
Dazzle
Villa_Dan
UnclePanda
VillaBill
villajk
De Kuip
Dgrizzle7
FoxyAV
DelboyVilla
WendyOz
AstonThriller
thegaffer6
Dions_Bald_Head
VTID85
Cha Ching
ember
smetro
achilles
Trotters
ViewFromT2
big ming
45 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 Empty Re: If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to?

Post by The Utterer Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Looks like Garde is a done deal! Welcome Scarf Waving
The Utterer
The Utterer

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 3_star10

Back to top Go down

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 Empty Re: If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to?

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Word is that Wenger recommended him when asked - rates him very highly. Tactically astute & very good at working on a tight budget too.

Welcome Remi. Try to ignore us all sitting here with red buzzer buttons...
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by gdav Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:46 pm

gdav
gdav

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:52 pm

The Utterer wrote:Looks like Garde is a done deal! Welcome Scarf Waving
Is this a guess or do u know?
danclare82
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Trent on VT has said it will be Remi Garde.

more madness from Fox and co - I will be surprised if he lasts the season. Absolute stupid appointment.
smetro
smetro

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:13 pm

I like it. We're a shit team and will struggle this season either way. Important that our next manager can work with the young French players we signed.

It's slightly amusing also considering the posts by me and Ember on page one of this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooseman Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:16 pm

I personally think the appointment of remi haired is a good one!utv
Mooseman
Mooseman

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooseman Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:16 pm

*gaurd
Mooseman
Mooseman

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I like it. We're a shit team and will struggle this season either way. Important that our next manager can work with the young French players we signed.

It's slightly amusing also considering the posts by me and Ember on page one of this thread.

that makes the massive assumption that those french guys are good enough for the premier league. Im really not convinced they are. We need someone who knows the PL and can bring a couple of older heads in the Jan window.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 pm

If youre excited read this:-

After some horrendous individual defensive errors in numerous games, Garde has started trying to protect his back four in recent weeks with unabashedly defensive tactics, even when playing at home, and looking to hit teams on the break like he did against Tottenham. He’s also experimented with a 4-4-2 (against Sochaux and Reims) and a 4-2-3-1 (against Toulouse), where in defensive positions the wide men pull back to form a 4-4-1-1 when out of possession.

sound familiar ?

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2013/04/28/olympique-lyonnais-the-tactical-debrief/

smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by George Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:11 pm

What we need more than anything is a settled side, I reckon we are better than the pundits are suggesting.

We started the season brightly and if we didn't have an ego on legs for a manager who panicked the moment we had our first blip, we would be going okay while the new players bedded in and gain experience through their mistakes.

We've bought in some very talented young players and despite Tim's ever changing teams we not been stuffed by anyone, so although the players will be down, there will be no shattered confidences.

With the idiot now gone, we need someone to come in with a clear plan of action and steady the ship. If we can grind out some good results in the meantime, we can then bring is the keeper and RB we all knew we so desperately needed in the summer and a someone to lead the line (the one player I'm not sure of is Gestede).

We should be able to battle clear and be set fair for next season.

If Allardyce had not gone to Sunderland we would have been confident in his ability to do that - so it is very doable - it's just that everyone else in an unknown quantity.

If it is to be Remi Garde then fingers crossed - in a lot of ways I'd prefer him to the other names mentioned as if he can get us out of this he'll make for a better option moving forward...and at least he'll have encyclopedic knowledge of the best French players to bring in in January!!
George
George

http://www.streetart.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:18 pm

smetro wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:I like it. We're a shit team and will struggle this season either way. Important that our next manager can work with the young French players we signed.

that makes the massive assumption that those french guys are good enough for the premier league.  Im really not convinced they are.  We need someone who knows the PL and can bring a couple of older heads in the Jan window.

Yes yes it does. But even if they aren't we're stuck with what we got.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Key here, regardless of who comes in, is to settle the team and not play silly buggers. If the new manager can quickly understand who the best players are (or rather, who make the best combinations) then the rest will fall into place.

It was all the fucking about that screwed us. Tim would find something that worked (Ayew against Blues, for example) and then change it for the next game. A sugarbag of the highest order!

I was dead against Rodgers and have no interest in Moyes. Given that managers with relegation battle experience = zero now Fat Sam has gone, we're left with very limited options.

I don't think we have to play ugly; we've got better players than that. We need to play smart and that's a million miles away from where Sherwood was at.

If we have got a new manager in, the timing is good as he's got a free game to assess things. But then I think it's a bit of a shame that K.Mac isn't going to get a chance...for some reason I think he may have done alright!
Trotters
Trotters

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:05 am

smetro wrote:Trent on VT has said it will be Remi Garde.

more madness from Fox and co - I will be surprised if he lasts the season. Absolute stupid appointment.

How? Because he doesn't have "Premier League Experience"? McLeish, Lambert, and Sherwood all had that kind of experience. I'm glad we're trying an out of the box solution for once, instead of going for the same old underwhelming, overrated, cookie cutter British manager like Rodgers, Moyes, Pearson, Dyche, Warburton, etc.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 am

I really don't care what this manager has to say in his first press briefing. The only thing that would impress me would be if his assistant went instead and said "Remi isn't here because he's got too much merde to sort out. Merci...that is all."
Trotters
Trotters

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Cha Ching Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:39 am

I'm glad we're going foreign for our new manager. The game is moving on and if we look at how our best teams struggle against average teams from other leagues in the Europa and CL, it shows that there is a template for success in this league that does not depend on previous PL experience.
I hope that Garde brings a philosophy of playing style from underage up with emphasis on developing young players that can step up seamlessly when their time comes.
We need to have better coaching in all aspects of the game. Can you imagine if we had little restart drills worked out for free kicks and throw-ins?
Cha Ching
Cha Ching

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:33 am

Cha Ching wrote:I'm glad we're going foreign for our new manager. The game is moving on and if we look at how our best teams struggle against average teams from other leagues in the Europa and CL, it shows that there is a template for success in this league that does not depend on previous PL experience.
I hope that Garde brings a philosophy of playing style from underage up with emphasis on developing young players that can step up seamlessly when their time comes.
We need to have better coaching in all aspects of the game. Can you imagine if we had little restart drills worked out for free kicks and throw-ins?

Erm...all of our "best" teams have foreign managers?
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cha Ching Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 am

ViewFromT2 wrote:
Cha Ching wrote:I'm glad we're going foreign for our new manager. The game is moving on and if we look at how our best teams struggle against average teams from other leagues in the Europa and CL, it shows that there is a template for success in this league that does not depend on previous PL experience.

Erm...all of our "best" teams have foreign managers?

Well that's very true but so do the teams that regularly beat them in european competitions. Why can teams from Germany and Spain now beat our best?
The answer is not just the manager but in the structures of these clubs.
You can appoint a foreign manager but if your ethos remains rooted in traditional premier league methods you won't compete any more. Look at how few young players make a breakthrough at top clubs here versus abroad. We try to buy success rather than nurture the conditions that could allow it to grow from within the club. Our top teams are beginning to go this route but are still years behind the likes of Barcelona.
My original point was that clubs with fewer resources can compete by using those cleverly and if we go that route we might punch above our weight a la Southampton. Employing a dinosaur like Sam would give us a short term gain but leave nothing built for the future after him.
Cha Ching
Cha Ching

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:49 am

The bottom line is that it can't get any worse. Right now we're bottom in the table. We suck. We play shit football and are looking certain for relegation.

Gambling on a manager that can maybe get the young French players we got to play at their maximum is probably a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:20 am

I must admit though. I'd love us to sign a few more English players to fill out the core of the team. We should start with Heaton. Get him ASAP in January.

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:25 am

Couple of things just by way of speculation......

I know I should know the answer to this, but can players be loaned at any time during the season - I thought they could. reason I say this is because if Remi gets the job, given that he's such a great friend of Wenger, and that there's not a cat in hell's chance we'll be any kind of threat to Arsenal - I wonder if there would be any loan opportunities that they might consider - possibly defender etc? I can't see them loaning a keeper and they aren't blessed with strikers, and in fact I'm not even suggesting any names anyway. just wondered if we'd see Arsene trying to help a mate out - hey, maybe we won't need it anyway and we have what we need until Jan or even to get us clear without this resource - just a thought for discussion?

Second: I'm actually really looking forward to seeing KMac's line up against Saints, who is in/out and how different it will be from Sherwood's (although given that Sherwood picked names out of a hat - what even was his team???

I expect to see no Gabby/Richardson/Lescott - wonder what will actually be the case? (sorry if this second bit should be in a Villa v saints thread.....)
Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
De Kuip
De Kuip

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:14 am

De Kuip wrote:Couple of things just by way of speculation......

I know I should know the answer to this, but can players be loaned at any time during the season - I thought they could. reason I say this is because if Remi gets the job, given that he's such a great friend of Wenger, and that there's not a cat in hell's chance we'll be any kind of threat to Arsenal - I wonder if there would be any loan opportunities that they might consider - possibly defender etc? I can't see them loaning a keeper and they aren't blessed with strikers, and in fact I'm not even suggesting any names anyway. just wondered if we'd see Arsene trying to help a mate out - hey, maybe we won't need it anyway and we have what we need until Jan or even to get us clear without this resource - just a thought for discussion?

Second: I'm actually really looking forward to seeing KMac's line up against Saints, who is in/out and how different it will be from Sherwood's (although given that Sherwood picked names out of a hat - what even was his team???

I expect to see no Gabby/Richardson/Lescott - wonder what will actually be the case? (sorry if this second bit should be in a Villa v saints thread.....)
Scarf Waving Scarf Waving

Those three players you mention above should be nowhere near the starting 11 at Aston Villa FC. Gabby's agent must be a hypnotist to keep getting Villa to hand him such good deals, nowhere else in the premiership could he get anywhere near the money we keep handing to him. Pulis doesn't let anything approaching a decent defender leave his club, so warning lights should have been flashing when he was happy to see Lescott leave, Lescott is a busted flush. No need to go into anything regarding Richardson, he hasn't been good enough at his last two or three clubs and was never going to be good enough at Villa. Add to those three the likes of Hutton, Guzan, and Westwood and it's easy to see why we're in such a poor state on the field. Simply not good enough consistently enough. No other premier clubs want these players. Whoever the new manager might be he will require 2-3 proven good players to come into the first team in January, a goalkeeper is a must and so is a goalscorer. In an ideal world we'd also manage to get hold of a central midfielder who is a bit nasty and is vocal and good enough to drive the team on. That is the minimum requirement come January if we are to give staying up a good go.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Can't disagree with anything you've said there Dazzle - spot on mate, just hope it happens.
De Kuip
De Kuip

If Sherwood goes.... who to turn to? - Page 10 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Cha Ching wrote:My original point was that clubs with fewer resources can compete by using those cleverly and if we go that route we might punch above our weight a la Southampton. Employing a dinosaur like Sam would give us a short term gain but leave nothing built for the future after him.

I think this is a great point, i know a lot of people on here are upset that Sherwood wasn't sacked in time for us to get Big Sam to replace him but i just don't see it. Allardyce could probably have kept us up for this season and while i know that survival this season is imperative with the massive payout for PL clubs i don't see him as a long term solution. What Villa have needed for the past few years is a style, a footballing philosophy instead of the mish mash that we have. I truly think a foreign manager such as Garde might bring this to the club and maybe rid the culture of laziness and "player power" that seems rife at BMH.
bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum