The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Darren Bent

+28
mordecai
Elagabalus
Leafs1201
Dek of Villa
Morpheus
Southern Villan
Andy_Villa
mefromhere
cgale
Finn07
Green Villan
My Old Man
kimbo
Diablo
Trotters
Morgan Villa
marcxc1983
villashrew
switters
JavvieSmalls
birchy7
Aesorian
Roncrete
prmort
heystally!
Denis_B
Vasher
Holte139
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Darren Bent Empty Darren Bent

Post by Holte139 Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 am

Was thinking about this earlier, do you think a new manager who plays attacking football might be willing to look at pairing Bent and Benteke? As our club-record signing I don't think anyone would dismiss him out of hand necessarily if we get taken over and money isn't a problem. I think he'll still have a year left on his contract and to be completely honest I'd love to see him come good!
Holte139

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Darren Bent Empty Re: Darren Bent

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 1:29 am

I think he's finished. 

He doesn't contribute enough to the team, looks overweight and seems to have lost his pace. He hardly set the world alight at Fulham.

He will go on to be one of many Villa 'What ifs'

Back to top Go down

Post by Vasher Tue May 06, 2014 5:19 am

He looks a ghost of his former average self. We need to move him on and free up his wages, takeover or no takeover.
Vasher
Vasher

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 6:13 am

Definitely get rid. He lumbers about the pitch and is bone idle. His work is done here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Denis_B Tue May 06, 2014 6:54 am

Sadly agree with the above. Was there the night of his debut v Cittee and thought WOW! a legend in the making...... Sad
Denis_B
Denis_B

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by heystally! Tue May 06, 2014 7:01 am

Two strikers is increasingly becoming a thing of the past at most clubs, including ours currently. That might change under the new manager.

If it doesn't then we have Benteke so no need for Bent, who wouldn't want to be a squad player here.

If it does change, I just don't think Bent and Benteke would work together. They'd get into each other's way too much, and neither would do very much defensively for the team. You can carry one striker who tracks back but not two.

Try and sell him for a few million to one of the promoted sides.
heystally!

Darren Bent 0_star10

http://aviewfromtheholteend.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by prmort Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 am

He doesn't look half the player he used to be....can't see a place for him with us anymore.
prmort

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 8:34 am

If we can't sell him and we can't loan him out another manager might just find a way to make him play again. You dont just suddenly become crap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncrete Tue May 06, 2014 8:42 am

He looks like he doesn't care anymore, he won't get a better contract than the one he's on now that's for sure.
Roncrete
Roncrete

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 8:51 am

I just feel that a manager who could instil a bit of confidence in him would get a good player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesorian Tue May 06, 2014 10:19 am

Who was it on here who called him a "House Brick" player? Because that sums him up perfectly.

I'd actually like us to stick with a front 2 in a 3-4-1-2 but Bent doesn't do enough to benefit the rest of the team, as 18 Premier League Assists in 207 games attests to.  Add that to his age and the fact that we have Benteke and youngsters like Robinson and Burke who could break into the first team this season and it's hard to see where he fits in.

He's not a bad player,he'll score goals where ever he goes and I'll always be grateful for the goals he has scored for us. But he's old fashioned now, as bad as that sounds, and if we're to be the newer and Sexier Villa we want to be then I don't think he has a place as a first team player.
Aesorian
Aesorian

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 am

Darren Bent was the right player at the wrong time. We needed him instead of Heskey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 10:40 am

Uncle Villa wrote:Darren Bent was the right player at the wrong time. We needed him instead of Heskey.
I would have took a lot of players ahead of Heskey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 10:47 am

Uncle Villa wrote:Darren Bent was the right player at the wrong time. We needed him instead of Heskey.

Indeed.

Still, he has aged incredibly quickly. He should have got two or three more seasons at the very top than he has.

Did Lambert ruin him? Injury? Or is he the master of his own downfall?

Back to top Go down

Post by prmort Tue May 06, 2014 11:04 am

I think he just gave up.
He tried to get in/fit in to the team, couldn't, and just thought "Sod it"
prmort

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 11:07 am

prmort wrote:I think he just gave up.
He tried to get in/fit in to the team, couldn't, and just thought "Sod it"

There's a lot of truth in that I think, which is criminal. He could have broken all sorts of records had he fought for his place. He should have been aiming to become our top Premiership scorer for starters.

Back to top Go down

Post by birchy7 Tue May 06, 2014 12:23 pm

I think injuries have finished him and I can't see where he will end up and he will have to take a massive drop on his wages.
Was made captain when PL first arrived - probably to try and get him firing and pull everyone together - but quickly found out that DB is all about himself, not the team. Didn't show any fight to get back in the team and has been poor at Fulham. Lost pace and looks overweight and disinterested. No way back for him at Villa, best days are over.
birchy7

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Holte139 Tue May 06, 2014 1:39 pm

The whole thing just makes me a bit sad really, like others have said, he could (and maybe should) have gone on to break records and become one of our famous goalscoring legends. I suppose the only reason I really want him to be successful is because in my lifetime we've only ever truly felt like a big club when we've broken our transfer record, but hopefully that'll change with the takeover.
Holte139

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by JavvieSmalls Tue May 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Not for me. I'd rather we took a chance on Helenius or Bowery.

65k+ a week? No ta, get rid.
JavvieSmalls
JavvieSmalls

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by switters Tue May 06, 2014 1:56 pm

as he's only got 1 year on contract & no long term future at the club, can't see any new manager here bothering to make much effort re-integrate Bent & certainly Lambert has no interest if he stays.

It's hard to see who will want to buy him after such a miserable season at Fulham, so it'll probably end up being another loan to whichever club is desperate enough to take him on deadline day.

all that said, if anything's going to prompt him to apply more effort, it's the fact that his big money contract is up next summer. if he wants to get another one half as good (at whatever club), he'll have to convince somebody he can still cut it at this level. see: Ireland, Stephen.
switters

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by birchy7 Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Holte139 wrote:The whole thing just makes me a bit sad really, like others have said, he could (and maybe should) have gone on to break records and become one of our famous goalscoring legends. I suppose the only reason I really want him to be successful is because in my lifetime we've only ever truly felt like a big club when we've broken our transfer record, but hopefully that'll change with the takeover.

I know what you mean totally, I remember how we all felt when he signed, there was a real wow feeling in the air and for the first time in a while, a lot of other fans elsewhere were really jealous of us. Hasn't happened a lot since!
birchy7

Darren Bent 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 10:01 pm

I think it was Trotters that described him akin to a house brick, and excellently so.

Back to top Go down

Post by villashrew Wed May 07, 2014 3:38 am

My bet is that Bent is Randy's parting gift...............................................to acorns as a clown to entertain the kids!  Drumroll Please lol! Over the head Over the head
villashrew
villashrew

Darren Bent 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villashrew Wed May 07, 2014 3:48 am

Ian wrote:I think it was Trotters that described him akin to a house brick, and excellently so.

Even a lowly little house brick aspires to be part of a palace though surely? Sorry my bad, I think he is more of a 49p breeze block these days only good for a foundation maybe in League 1 or 2!  Very Happy 
villashrew
villashrew

Darren Bent 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Newcastle are mental:

from the metro wrote:Darren Bent is wanted by Newcastle United (Picture: Getty Images)
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has set his sights on Aston Villa outcast Darren Bent.

The Magpies chief is desperate to land a striker this summer to replace Loic Remy, who looks set to join Arsenal.

Pardew had hoped to keep Remy, who enjoyed a fine season on Tyneside on-loan from QPR and notched 14 league goals in 24 starts.

Newcastle to hand Villa's Darren Bent Premier League lifeline
Newcastle United’s Loic Remy wants to play Champions League football next season (Picture: AP Photo)
But Arsenal’s interest scuppered those plans, with the Frenchman revealing his desire of playing Champions League football.

Pardew has previously tried to sign Bent on two occasions and reckons he can get the best out of the 30-year-old who has been told he can leave Aston Villa by boss Paul Lambert.

The former England striker cost Villa £24m in 2011 and, despite scoring 21 league goals in 54 outings, spent last season out on loan at relegated Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next