The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic

+5
deadbuzzardalive
FoxyAV
VillaBill
VTID85
Dazzle
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic  - Page 2 Empty Re: Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic

Post by VillaBill Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Remember this result next time we bemoan our luck, Wigan were robbed big time today, but there’s no such thing as a bad win, Wigan, unlike ourselves had a style of play and went for it, I couldn’t figure out what our strategy was?
Nyland: very nervous & rooted to his line for every cross, poor debut
Tuanzebe, did ok but not a RB
Chester , did ok
Jedinak,
VillaBill
VillaBill

Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic  - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic  - Page 2 Empty Re: Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic

Post by FoxyAV Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:53 am

We had one defender playing in position (Ok, Hutton is also good at LB)? Bruce really is trying out stuff then, in the hope we find a lineup that works? What's wrong with either a) playing Elphick and letting him and Chester settle or b) playing Tuanzebe as CB where he belongs while we presumably c) work on bringing in a CB on loan. Jedi was rubbish in defence last season and yet again he's proved it. Green's shown he can play on the right wing, so why not do something crazy and play him there and Adomah on the left, and play either Elmo or Bree at RB while until De Laet can come in next match. At least Whelan wasn't playing but I'd still rather see Bjarnason play in front of the defence which will allow Grealish and McGinn free reign in attack. I would imagine Kodjia is desperate to get a goal and to start scoring regularly but whining and sulking is counter productive.

Did we play HOOF or did we pass the ball up the pitch and play to our strengths?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic  - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 am

achilles wrote:One of your options was sort of right (although I think Grealish was supposed to support Kodjia but he didn't):

.........................Nyland

......Tuanzebe....Chester....Jedi....Hutton

Elmo...Bjarnason...Grealish...McGinn...Green

.........................Kodjia

Thanks for this BTW. I thought Bjarnason was left-sided too, so that's four in midfield and one acceptable right-sided player in Elmo. There are some seriously big holes in our starting lineup. As I may mention every time if we're going to play five in midfield we need a DM so the other two central midfielders have the freedom to help in attack. Oh, I don't know. Should I be happy that Whelan didn't start or will Bruce see the defensive frailties as proof he needs to play?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 am

I don't think we played as much HOOF as normal, we did try to pass it but again it is too slow and the centre midfield was too all over the place for my liking without any real structure. Bjarnason didn't play as the main defensive midfield player (hence why he scored I suppose) and so seemed a bit lost as to what his main role was. McGinn just seemed to find the spaces as a good player should. Grealish was too deep, especially first half and he must release the ball quicker instead of always having two or three touches all the time. In the first half Hutton was totally unmarked on the left hand side and Grealish ignored him and dribbled across to the right hand side. I just hope the hype isn't getting to him although he still causes panic to the opposition everytime he gets the ball and kicked to pieces (although he does invite this sort of attention)!
achilles
achilles

Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic  - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Sherwood almost had it right a couple of times when he played Gil and Grealish as floating number 10s behind Benteke. McGinn and Grealish are both left-sided but it could be worth trying Grealish on the right side. Ahead of Bjarnasson they'd be superb.

Did Tuanzebe start off as CB or DM, and were ManU looking at playing him at DM? Does my memory serve me correctly? Sure, we need a CB but if he's a natural DM he could be superb.

I have a lot of time for Tuanzebe, he could be a really big player for us, sadly in the same way Onomah wasn't (although he was a DM and played there for about 30 minutes last season so maybe that's unfair on him).
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Tuanzebe played right back but I would like to try him at centre half with Chester especially with De Laet back now.
Playing people in their proper positions how novel!
achilles
achilles

Aston Villa FC versus Wigan Athletic  - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2