The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either

Go down

Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either  Empty Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either

Post by Trotters Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:25 am

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/ian-taylor-aston-villa-fans-6932812

Ian Taylor: Aston Villa fans have doubts over a new deal for Paul Lambert

Apr 08, 2014

Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either  JS32067981-1

With Chris Hughton losing his job at Norwich at the weekend, I can understand why some Villa fans are dubious about manager Paul Lambert getting a new contract.

Their Premier League records in the past two seasons are remarkably similar – with Hughton taking 76 points from 71 games and Lambert picking up 75 points from 70 games – even though the circumstances at the two clubs are different.

If I was Paul I would be looking at the situation at his former club and thinking ‘we need to be doing much better here at Villa’.

He has the backing of the board who are keen for some continuity in the dugout following the managerial turmoil of recent seasons, which has seen Martin O’Neill, Gerard Houllier and Alex McLeish come and go during the Randy Lerner era.

But it doesn’t matter who you are, the longer it goes on without winning games consistently – and losing a record number of home games – the natives get restless and it becomes increasingly difficult.

Those contract negotiations should wait until the summer when, hopefully, there is a clearer picture of where Villa are heading.

We all want to win football matches and right now Villa aren’t winning nearly enough. They need to get players back fit and they definitely need to strengthen the squad in the summer, because it’s just not good enough at the moment.

The danger is that they are becoming a club that’s just happy to be in the Premier League and that’s not good enough for Aston Villa Football Club.

During my career at Villa I was involved in teams that, apart from one or two seasons where we did struggle, were in eighth or seventh place challenging for Europe.

That’s what Aston Villa fans would want, challenging for trophies and a place in Europe. They don’t want the world. But to be there or thereabouts, that would be great for them.

I’m away on business at the moment so I watched the home defeat to Fulham in a Hong Kong bar with quite a few Villa fans, and it was another very disappointing result.

I tweeted after the game saying it’s bad losing to bottom clubs – and at home – but the result wasn’t really a surprise to anybody.

That’s the most worrying thing, really, that Villa are going into games thinking they are not going to win, especially with the side they will have to put out at the moment.

It was a crushing blow to lose Christian Benteke and injuries to other players has left the squad looking even lighter than usual.

Benteke has been such an important player for Villa that the manager faces an almighty task to replace the big Belgian’s goal threat during a long lay-off.

Everybody can say if they win the next two games they will be such and such in the table but I just can’t see where the wins are coming from at the moment. They’ve got another tough game against Palace at the weekend at their place and right now you’re thinking they’ve got no chance of winning it.

Without those points against Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea, Villa would be in serious trouble. The home record is terrible and even the talk about them being good away from home is starting to sound a bit hollow when you look at the statistics. There hasn’t been an away win since the victory at Sunderland on New Year’s Day.

I wasn’t at Villa Park on Saturday to witness the crowd’s reaction but I should imagine it wasn’t nice. For the manager to be there while the fans aren’t happy must be very difficult.

Trotters
Trotters

Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either  5_star13

Back to top Go down

Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either  Empty Re: Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:37 am

Yikes....the pressure is really being cranked up now isn't it?

I love Tayls!

Back to top Go down

Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either  Empty Re: Ian Taylor doesn't think much of Lambert either

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 pm

I think the press are starting to turn. Daily Mail had piece saying he is on last legs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Uncle Villa wrote:I think the press are starting to turn. Daily Mail had piece saying he is on last legs.

There is very little scrutiny of villa's wider problems though. I mean, this is the third villa manager in a row to really struggle and under-achieve. Nobody has been able to galvanise the club, motivate the players and squeeze the best of of them.

The whole club needs to take a good, hard look in the mirror to try to understand why things have gone so badly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Ian Taylor - Director of Football, anyone?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:49 pm

Chris Harte wrote:Ian Taylor - Director of Football, anyone?

Absolutely - NOT!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Eastie wrote:
Chris Harte wrote:Ian Taylor - Director of Football, anyone?

Absolutely - NOT!

Why??

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:54 pm

No! It needs someone with vast experience with different levels of the game, different cultures, different set-ups and techniques, a financial awareness and solid contacts in various parts of the world.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Trotters wrote:No!  It needs someone with vast experience with different levels of the game, different cultures, different set-ups and techniques, a financial awareness and solid contacts in various parts of the world.

We've seen this lot's technique for hiring managers. Could you imagine them searching for a DoF matching those criteria?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Trotters wrote:No!  It needs someone with vast experience with different levels of the game, different cultures, different set-ups and techniques, a financial awareness and solid contacts in various parts of the world.

Correct!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:15 pm

I'd say Ian Taylor has more knowledge of the game in his big toe than the current board combined. I'd agree there are probably better people out there for the role, but who?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Chris Harte wrote:I'd say Ian Taylor has more knowledge of the game in his big toe than the current board combined. I'd agree there are probably better people out there for the role, but who?

Who says we are after a DOF?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Eastie wrote:
Chris Harte wrote:I'd say Ian Taylor has more knowledge of the game in his big toe than the current board combined. I'd agree there are probably better people out there for the role, but who?

Who says we are after a DOF?
No-one, to my knowledge.

Doesn't mean we don't need one though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:51 pm

What we need is a good manager - if a change is made above it should be in faulkners role - DOF rarely works .

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Hasn't really been done properly though.

As that article says, you can change the manager but it's a moot point if the powers that be have no footballing knowledge and just make the same mistakes over and over. And over.

The club needs someone that has that knowledge and can put long term plans in place and get some kind of consistency when it comes time to picking a manager.

Of course, that person won't be around forever either but having an intermediary between the chequebook and the manager is a must.

There's a reason why so many clubs - not just Villa - have failed on every level over last few years. They're all following the same pattern of getting a manager, trying things, sacking the manager, hiring a new one, repeat.

This is an old article but worth a quick glance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9156815.stm
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm agnostic about the idea of a Director of Football but it would certainly be one way of us developing a clearly defined strategy and imposing it. Something that we probably need to do and that the current top level management have failed to. Certainly more than a change of manager is needed.

Going back to Tayls: Is he still involved at the club as an 'ambassador'? He seems to be very restrained, possibly for that reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down