The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Veretout for Jedinak next season?

+8
FoxyAV
Trotters
deadbuzzardalive
Dazzle
4BetLite
Saunders82
AstonThriller
VillaBill
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Veretout for Jedinak next season? Empty Veretout for Jedinak next season?

Post by AstonThriller Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 am

I know Jedi has been very decent this season, and the results when he's been in the side has been quite clear to see. But does his lack of goals and assists hamper our attack? Lets look at some of our rivals midfields.

Newcastle

.......Shelvey...Colback......
.............Diame...............

(And sometimes Perez plays where Diame is)

Brighton

..Knockhaert..Stevens..Sidwell...Murphy...

Huddersfield

........Mooy...Hogg............
............Brown...............

Reading

.........Berg..Williams...Mutch.....

Leeds

......Bridcutt...Vieira......
..........Hernandez........

(And sometimes O'Kane plays where Vieira is)

Sheffield Wednesday

..Wallace...Hutchinson...Bannan...Reach...

And now this is what ours could be next season..

........Lansbury...Veretout....
..............Hourihane...............

Some might say "what about protecting our back-four?" Well that's interesting because did you know Veretout started as a defensive midfielder in France before becoming more "box to box"? And if you look at his whoscored stats HERE you'll find that he's done very well for St Ettien defensively this season. He's doing well where tackles and interceptions per game are concerned. Mile has been better with the clearances and blocks but then Veretout has two goals and three assists to his name. And that's after getting six assists for us last season in the premiership.

I also believe Veretout is the much better passer of the two aswell. So when you put all those things on the table, we'd lose some of Jedi's ability to block and head balls away but we'd gain massively with Jordan's ability to keep the ball better and provide more of a threat going forward whilst still being able to get in tackles and interceptions.

I mean look at Brighton? Stevens and Sidwell are hardly bruisers are they? Same with Shelvey and Colback...I honestly think our trio is better than all of those teams midfields tbh. It will be interesting to see what happens with Veretout come the summer!!..I hope we hang on to him because to have a player who impressed in the Europa League and is playing top flight football in France would be a major coup for us. Same with Gil!!..how many of our rivals will be able to sign these sort of players? I don't think any of them could.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Veretout for Jedinak next season? Empty Re: Veretout for Jedinak next season?

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

I'd bring Veretout back if he'd come here, but doubt he'd come back to the championship. If he was interested in that at all he would have stayed last season, and since then he's done well at Saint Etienne and been linked to Juventus.

I do think we need to learn how to cope without Jedinak, so we can play someone a bit dynamic in his position though. But not sure if it will be a priority for Bruce. I've seen Jackson Irvine mentioned as a possible replacement, he's apparently seen as his replacement in the Australian national side, and has also chipped in with a few goals and assists this season.

deadbuzzardalive

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm

How good/ready/right fit would Lyden be?
De Kuip
De Kuip

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:04 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I'd bring Veretout back if he'd come here, but doubt he'd come back to the championship. If he was interested in that at all he would have stayed last season, and since then he's done well at Saint Etienne and been linked to Juventus.

I do think we need to learn how to cope without Jedinak, so we can play someone a bit dynamic in his position though. But not sure if it will be a priority for Bruce. I've seen Jackson Irvine mentioned as a possible replacement, he's apparently seen as his replacement in the Australian national side, and has also chipped in with a few goals and assists this season.

He still has three years on his contract so he has no choice if we really want him back. And yeah Irvine has done very well this season, scored nine goals for Burton which is brilliant tbh. And I think we could get him for a decent fee. Same with Mooy at Huddersfield. He pulls all the string for them and he's only on loan there, so if they don't go up we would have a great chance of getting him too.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:05 pm

De Kuip wrote:How good/ready/right fit would Lyden be?

Want to see him get a few games this season before assessing if he's the real deal. Certainly at u23 level he's been all action and shown an ability to score goals...but he needs to step up now or go out on loan somewhere.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 pm

I think it's a no for two reasons.

1) he isn't keen on coming back. I suspect he's a complete frog and I'd be surprised if he even spoke English. Bet he loves the safety of France.

2) he is waaay too soft to replace Jedi. Don't get me wrong I like Veretout and it would be ace if you are right and it worked out. But I think we need to find a young replacement that's more in the mold of Jedi. Preferrably an English DM.

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Not many teams play with someone that's so defensive as Jedinak in midfield, the reason he's so affective for us, is that we're quite negative and invite a lot of pressure onto ourselves, in that scenario of course it's useful to have someone like him, as has been said he's like having an extra defender.

If we can learn to control games more and have more possession of the ball then someone like Jedinak will become less important. We'd still need a defensive midfielder of sorts, but would be able to play with one a bit more dynamic that Jedinak.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Don't any of you remember Veretout in a Villa shirt?
He was average at best last season & in the championship he would get even less time , cut our losses, sell the guy
VillaBill
VillaBill

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:55 pm

VillaBill wrote:Don't any of you remember Veretout in a Villa shirt?
He was average at best last season & in the championship he would get even less time , cut our losses, sell the guy

I wasn't impressed either, but we gotta consider the fact that he came into a Villa side with only new faces, a team with no confidence, and a pretty hostile crowd at times. I nearly wish he was called back for a few wins only to have a better experience of the club.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 pm

VillaBill wrote:Don't any of you remember Veretout in a Villa shirt?

He got six assists in the premiership in the worst team we've ever had. How many central midfielders have we had in recent years that have done that? Delph? Nope, Cleverely? Nope Gana? Nope.

Imo he was one of the few who came out of that season with some sort of credibility.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I think it's a no for two reasons.

1) he isn't keen on coming back. I suspect he's a complete frog and I'd be surprised if he even spoke English. Bet he loves the safety of France.
Speculation. And even if he wasn't, he's under contract.

2) he is waaay too soft to replace Jedi. Don't get  me wrong I like Veretout and it would be ace if you are right and it worked out. But I think we need to find a young replacement that's more in the mold of Jedi. Preferrably an English DM.
The stats don't lie...he averages more tackles per game than Jedinak and also has a similar amount of interceptions. The days of having someone purely there to be "defensive" is outdated imo. Brighton and Newcastle are proving that.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:15 pm

What stats? Haven't seen them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I always thought that there was a player in there somewhere, but apparently he didnt want to stay, unless it was the situation at the time, I have read his english wasnt very good either, he is contracted but we all know that means very little today, I would like to see him in a Villa shirt again in a settled side. Laughing
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Agreed, there's a cracking player there. Can't blame him for wanting the fuck away from this club last season.

I think Jedi is a great away game option and Veretout at home. With injuries/suspensions, they'd both play more often than not.

But I can't see him coming back. He may well be under contract but if he's got a face on him then no manager would want him around, especially when we've finally cut all the rot out. But if he COULD be convinced to go be us another go and had the right attitude then I think he'd be one hell of a player for us.
Trotters
Trotters

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:16 am

I don't think Veretout was ever really played correctly, and remember that last season if you did well one match you were rewarded with the bench the next. He'd also just had a kid, moved to a foreign country, wasn't Sherwood's choice and didn't speak English. Didn't we all think his natural position was on the left of midfield, where Gueye played, or is that my memory playing tricks?

I wonder what's going on with our young, foreign players? Sure, Amavi has coped, but Gollini's one condition was that he had an Italian goalkeeping coach (removed with RDM) and I wonder if we could have helped Veretout more.

Saint Etienne have no purchase clause on his contract so maybe we will see him come back. I hope so. We'd be in a far better position and he'd be in a team with a realistic chance of promotion next season rather than one with a realistic chance of relegation.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 am

For once I agree with Joppe, Veretout hated his time with us and you can't really blame him for that as he along with others like Gueye, Sanchez and Gil were here during some of our darkest days. They don't want a repeat!

I also think that he may be more suited to the French game where players get loads of time on the ball and you give away a free kick for coughing near an opponent?

Forget him would be my advice as I doubt Bruce has him in his plans for next year!

Forget
DelboyVilla

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 am

If Bruce wanted someone a bit more dynamic than Jedinak to play as defensive midfielder I don't think he'd play Veretout there, as that wouldn't really suit Bruce's style of play. I think he'd more likely try and bring in someone similar to Gueye or Kante not as good as them obviously but someone who plays with a similar style of play. We were linked with Guessouma Fofana in January don't know if he'd fit the bill.

If Veretout were to come back I think he'd be brought to play a bit further forward, some competition for Hourihane and Lansbury.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:15 am

I think he is quality but he never had a chance whilst the club was being run and managed by idiots.

If Wyness and Bruce can sell the club to him, I think he could be a valuable asset in a more forward role.

Cant see the need to even think about not featuring JEDI every game at the moment and I personally think Houriane is ideal cover for him if it comes to it. In theory Gardner should be the cover though but he rarely delivers and Sanchez could be a better recall for JEDI cover maybe.

I WANT GILL BACK.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 am

The only thing I'd say is I'm happy for Steve Bruce to decide in the summer if Veretout has a part to play next season. I'm certain a conversation will take place between the club and player where the player makes clear his wish to return to France. If that transpires then we simply inform him that we'll be wanting our outlay back. Bruce will make the call though and we should be content with his decision, when it comes.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 am

Joppe84 wrote:What stats? Haven't seen them.

HERE
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:03 am

It's wrong to judge any of the players for performances last season. No stability, different formation and players each match, no confidence in the team, lots of different managers trying different things, very unhappy fans and so on. Players like Veretout were played out of position, with different players in positions around them. There's no surprise most of our big hopes didn't shine. With the exception of Richardson, Richards and Lescott, I'd give all of them another go. Look at Sinclair now he's playing regularly. Same with Gil, Sanchez and Veretout. Gueye is showing us all what he can do in a properly set up and managed team.

I wanted so many of them to stay just to give them a chance, under a decent manager and new owner, to see if they could be moulded into a team. Bruce is getting there but there's a good argument that with a few choice upgrades we could have a bloody good team with a core of Okore and Clark, Gueye, Sanchez and Veretout, Adomah and Sinclair, Gil and Grealish and Ayew and Kodjia.

It's surely a good thing that we have still have Sanchez, Gil and Veretout on contract while someone else pays their wages? We also have Tshibola and Gollini who could well play a part (although Gollini isn't likely to come back). McCormack and Cissokho can get lost though.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 pm

Veretout scored this goal today...

Xia responded with this...

Dr. Tony Xia‏Verified account @Dr_TonyXia 3h3 hours ago
Even some clubs offered interest, maybe we should persuade JV back Villa next season?
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 pm

A fucking toe poke???
Trotters
Trotters

Veretout for Jedinak next season? 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 am

AstonThriller wrote:

2) he is waaay too soft to replace Jedi. Don't get  me wrong I like Veretout and it would be ace if you are right and it worked out. But I think we need to find a young replacement that's more in the mold of Jedi. Preferrably an English DM.
The stats don't lie...he averages more tackles per game than Jedinak and also has a similar amount of interceptions. The days of having someone purely there to be "defensive" is outdated imo. Brighton and Newcastle are proving that.

I'd forgotten this.

Season Team Tournament Apps Mins Tackles Inter Fouls Offsides Clear Drb Blocks OwnG Rating
Jedinak 2016/2017 Aston Villa EC 27 2332 1.9 2.1 1.4 0.1 4.4 0.6 0.7 - 7.27
Veretout 2015/2016 Aston Villa EPL 21(4) 1825 1.3 1.1 0.8 - 0.6 1.2 - - 6.57

Mind the format, I've got no idea how to sex this up. But what you're saying isn't correct. Jedinak has more tackles, more fouls, more interceptions, more clearances and more blocks.

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 am

Joppe84 wrote:
AstonThriller wrote:

I'd forgotten this.

Season Team Tournament Apps Mins Tackles Inter Fouls Offsides Clear Drb Blocks OwnG Rating
Jedinak 2016/2017 Aston Villa EC 27 2332 1.9 2.1 1.4 0.1 4.4 0.6 0.7 - 7.27
Veretout 2015/2016 Aston Villa EPL 21(4) 1825 1.3 1.1 0.8 - 0.6 1.2 - - 6.57

Mind the format, I've got no idea how to sex this up. But what you're saying isn't correct. Jedinak has more tackles, more fouls, more interceptions, more clearances and more blocks.

But this is Veretout playing out of position in a really bad Villa team with no morale, only a couple of wins, two terrible central defenders and so on. Comparing 2015/16 to a completely different team in 2016/17 isn't really relevant.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next