The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Pre-season matches

+24
Army villain
UnclePanda
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
The Utterer
holtehero
andrew24561
VTID85
avfcjay
Thinman
Mr_Spadge
Peter
Dions_Bald_Head
De Kuip
Saunders82
danclare82
achilles
avfc forever
FoxyAV
avfc85
Rawlie
Trotters
Wriggle
4BetLite
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pre-season matches - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre-season matches

Post by achilles Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:54 pm

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/20/bristol-rovers-match-report

Match report: Bristol Rovers 1-1 Villa

Villa continued their unbeaten start to pre-season as we drew 1-1 here at the Memorial Stadium.

Jordan Ayew opened the scoring just before half-time with a neat finish.

But it wasn’t enough on a chilly night as Matt Taylor fired past Mark Bunn late on to ensure parity for the Pirates.

The draw followed victories over Telford and Worcester at the weekend and an 8-0 training match victory over GAK Graz in Austria.

There were promising performances from Jack Grealish and Alan Hutton as Roberto Di Matteo had plenty to ponder as we continued our journey into the new season.

Grealish, in particular, looked lively as he played the full 90 minutes.

The manager will have been keen to see the tricky forward for the duration after the previous season, which saw the popular Brummie held back by injuries.

He’s undertaken a fitness regime over the summer – including strengthening work on his troublesome ankle – and Di Matteo will have been pleased with what he saw here.

Ayew started strongly for the claret and Scum , once again wearing their new Under Armour kits for the 2016/17 campaign.

He wasn’t scared of shooting from distance – a feature of his pre-season play to date – although both early efforts were well stopped by the goalkeeper.

Ayew and Grealish were certainly seeing plenty of the ball in those early stages – and Grealish was unfortunate with several incisive balls to the young and hungry Rushian Hepburn-Murphy.

Fellow young starlet Andre Green also looked sharp as he looked to impress the new Villa boss.

Ayew finally opened the scoring on 41 minutes and it was what Villa deserved after a strong half.

Mark Bunn and Joleon Lescott came on at the break for Pierluigi Gollini and Nathan Baker and there were a flurry of subs for us on the hour mark, prompting the overzealous pitch announcer to declare: “Coming on for Villa is absolutely everyone.”

Inbetween times, Grealish showed brilliant trickery on 49 minutes to play a one-two with Ayew but the keeper came out to collect well.

Hutton floated a good ball into the box on 53 minutes but it was just too strong for Hepburn-Murphy, who was looking to pounce at the back post.

Just before the hour mark, Joe Bennett showed good defensive resolve to break up a Pirates attack.

Taylor levelled matters for the hosts inside the final 10 minutes with a low shot.

Villa could have won it on 84 minutes when sub Scott Sinclair fired marginally wide while the keeper showed good instincts to fly out as Rudy Gestede zoned in on target moments later.

Gary Gardner had two efforts in the final few moments, firing over from open play and then after a neat pull-back free-kick from Grealish.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No I don't think Gabby featured at all!
achilles
achilles

Pre-season matches - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:01 am

I know it's only preseason but I can't help but think we're going to be like England; do OK in meaningless matches but when it comes down to business, we're going to get destroyed by nobodies.

The report didn't point out exactly how their goal came about but so far Lescott has been subbed into the game twice and we've let goals in twice.
Trotters
Trotters

Pre-season matches - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:07 am

At this point in time I tend to agree as I don't see any real difference but I am just hoping that things start to liven up in the next few weeks regarding transfers, in and out, to give me hope for the coming season.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:08 am

I think there are quite a few differences to last season that should see us alright for this season.

The obvious one is the lower division and yes whilst the Championship is tough there is a clear step down from the premiership, especially when you look past the top 6 or so teams.

We also have a new manager, owner etc. and a new air of optimism around the club and i think we'll see some players start playing with different attitudes this season.

Jack is looking fir and eager and if he stays fit he will add the big thing we were missing last year in a creative player and at this level he should dominate games. Amavi is back also and will make a huge difference.

We have a new Goalie and will hopefully see the back of Guzan at last, lets just hope he takes Lescott and Gabby with him!

If we can keep the key players like Ayew, Gana and Amavi and add a couple more, one being a good goalscorer then i think we'll be fine going into the season.
Wriggle
Wriggle

Pre-season matches - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Spadge Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:40 am

achilles wrote:https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/20/bristol-rovers-match-report

Ayew started strongly for the claret and Scum ,

Think that's a bit harsh for a match report?
Mr_Spadge

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 am

Word filter. Has since been corrected.
Trotters
Trotters

Pre-season matches - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:24 am

I know I should be more positive but at things stand I'm not seeing anything that convinces me that we will start the new season running. I think all that wasted time waiting for the Xia deal to be confirmed and ratified is coming back to haunt us. I'd say we are about a month behind in our planning. I don't think RDM has any real idea on what his ultimate starting line up should be.

Hopefully new players will arrive soon and recalcitrant losers will
depart but so far I'm just not feeling it.

Having said all that, wouldnt it be acceptable to have a season of building and refining ready for the real promotion push in 17/18?
Thinman
Thinman

Pre-season matches - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by avfcjay Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:53 am

Thinman wrote:I know I should be more positive but at things stand I'm not seeing anything that convinces me that we will start the new season running. I think all that wasted time waiting for the Xia deal to be confirmed and ratified is coming back to haunt us. I'd say we are about a month behind in our planning. I don't think RDM has any real idea on what his ultimate starting line up should be.

Hopefully new players will arrive soon and recalcitrant losers will
depart but so far I'm just not feeling it.

Having said all that, wouldnt it be acceptable to have a season of building and refining ready for the real promotion push in 17/18?

I'd rather we go up into the PL prepared and not scraping in or coming into it as a dead cert to go back down. If that means we need an extra year to do this then so be it. Nothing would hurt me more than for us to be promoted at the first attempt and then be relegated the following year.

That said, I feel some of our better players would be off if we don't get promoted first time around. It's a difficult one to judge.
avfcjay

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Thinman wrote:Having said all that, wouldnt it be acceptable to have a season of building and refining ready for the real promotion push in 17/18?

Yes, all of this talk and expectation from a lot of camps about automatic promotion is frankly short-sighted and largely arrogant. We need to re-establish ourselves as a force and that may well not happen over the course of a single season. I would hope this season will go a good way towards it, but if we do get back up at the first time of asking I will consider it a great achievement rather than a right.

Plenty of people already on the doubting train and I get that I really do, we've seen little else bit shit for too long, but we need to shake it off as much as the team need to.

Come what may, this season coming marks a new chapter in many respects, I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by andrew24561 Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:06 am

great post VTID85
I totally agree with you promotion at the first attempt will be a great achievement rather than a given right, we need to be ready for the premier league when we get back there, I'm a realist not a pessimist though this site has enough of them, usual suspects posting away, its time to wipe the slate clean and accept we don't have a divine right to succeed.
andrew24561
andrew24561

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:26 pm

we beat Cambridge 3-0 tonite..............

Gardner RHM and Sinclair(10m player now easily)

We were a relatively young team captained by (if my info is correct) Bacunta (arghhhh spit, spits again,,,ffs cvnt, spit arghhhhhhhhh).

I really have got a problem with him, I want him to fail and he plays for my team, ffs, I need help with this.

4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 pm

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/26/cambridge-match-report

Match report: Cambridge United 0-3 Villa
Game details

Match: Cambridge United v Aston Villa
Date: July 26, 2016
Competition: Pre-season friendly
Venue: The Abbey Stadium
Kick-off: 7.30pm
Attendance: 3961 – 816 Villans
Weather: 21C, 69F, mostly cloudy
Scoring summary

Scott Sinclair [8]
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy [8]
Gary Gardner [78]
Analysis

Villa were deserved winners here at the Abbey Stadium as they defeated Cambridge United 3-0 in the latest pre-season clash.

Roberto Di Matteo watched on as his side – featuring a good mix of experience and youth – saw off the U’s in comfortable fashion.

There was a quickfire double in the eighth minute as forward pair Scott Sinclair and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy both struck.

And there was the cherry on top of the cake with just over 10 minutes remaining as Gary Gardner swept home from just inside the box after a wonderful cutback from birthday boy Andre Green.
Lineups

CAMBRIDGE UNITED: Norris, Adams (Taylor, 70), Dallison (Legge, 70), Coulson (Roberts, 70), Keane (Williams), Berry (Maris, 70 mins), Newton (Dunne), Clark (A.Trialist, 45 mins), Elito, McGurk (Dunk, 17 – subbed off Mingoia, 70)), Williamson (Pigott , 70).

VILLA: Gollini, Lyden, Okore, Toner, Bennett, Bacuna (Green, 65), Gardner, Tshibola (Sanchez, 55), Grealish (Veretout, 79), Hepburn-Murphy, Sinclair. Subs: Idem, Suliman, Abdo.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by holtehero Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 pm

4BetLite wrote:we beat Cambridge 3-0 tonite..............

Gardner RHM and Sinclair(10m player now easily)

We were a relatively young team captained by (if my info is correct) Bacunta (arghhhh spit, spits again,,,ffs cvnt, spit arghhhhhhhhh).

I really have got a problem with him, I want him to fail and he plays for my team, ffs, I need help with this.

Just got back from the game as live locally to Cambridge, plus my company is a Cambridge utd sponsor.

Was a very easy run out and most of the undesirables weren't even in attendance, Gollini looked very comfortable and wasn't even tested.

As for the rest, thought Grealish looked good as did Gardner (who played whole 90 minutes) and Tshibola also looked comfortable. Sinclairs goal was also well taken. There were quite a few who i don't think i had ever seen play before and the rest were either reserves or youth team.

Also saw what must rank as the largest number of simultaneous subsitutions when cambridge brought on 6 or 7 players on around 75 minutes, was a queue on the touchline
holtehero

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:45 am

Was Bacuna subbed just after the hour in case he picked up an injury prior to Juventus coming in for him?
De Kuip
De Kuip

Pre-season matches - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:32 am

The game today is huge, we will know today what progress RDM has made so far.

It will give him a clear indication of what is needed and will define the rest of the transfer window. Boro have strengthened an already good squad, however, if they play one particular player today it may give a false story as we will score for fun if guzan starts.

My team for today is ...........

Gollini
Hutton Elphick Okore Bennett
Lyden Gardner
Ayew Tshibola Grealish
Hepburn-Murphy

Well that's what I fancy watching but I'm guessing it will be Westwood instead of Lyden, Baker for Okore and Gestede for RH-M. Hoping to see Green and hoping not to see the newly named shite4 (one down:-)).

edit.... if RDM is set to play Tshibola as DM then I want him with Gardner and then a AM 3 of Green Grealish Ayew......
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:35 am

I am afraid you don't become your country's number one goalkeeper, keeping out Tim Howard, if you are crap!
He had a bad season like most of our players and the chewing gum episode didn't help but he is not that bad.

Having said that I am glad we have moved on and got potentially a much better goalkeeper.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:49 am

Who are we playing today?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:06 am

Middlesborough
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:06 am

achilles wrote:I am afraid you don't become your country's number one goalkeeper, keeping out Tim Howard, if you are crap!
He had a bad season like most of our players and the chewing gum episode didn't help but he is not that bad.

Having said that I am glad we have moved on and got potentially a much better goalkeeper.

Tim Howard had a sabbatical to give Guzan a chance, Guzan would still of been picking up Howard's drink bottle and towel.
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:14 am

avfc85 wrote:
achilles wrote:I am afraid you don't become your country's number one goalkeeper, keeping out Tim Howard, if you are crap!

Tim Howard had a sabbatical to give Guzan a chance, Guzan would still of been picking up Howard's drink bottle and towel.

And then dropping them at the opposition strikers feet
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Pre-season matches - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:45 am

Yeah hope to see a positive result today and some brave selections.

.....................Gollini....................

...Richards..Elphick..Baker..Cissokho...

...............Gardner..Tishbola........
.....................Grealish..............
............Green............Ayew
.....................Gestede.........

Would be what I'd consider although I'd be tempted to play Murphy instead of Gestede and Okore instead of Elphick tbh. Can't see Adama or Amavi starting after not playing a single minute this pre-season...got a bad feeling Bacuna might be seen on the right though which does my head in.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Pre-season matches - Page 2 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 am

Is it on a stream?

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Worst goalkeeper ever, Tim Howard is in his 60's and took a sabatical to let numpty in.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:22 pm

If people are going to be ridiculous at least get your facts right, Tim Howard was on the bench for all the USA's games, but don't let that stop you from making up crap! Pre-season matches - Page 2 1327487109
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:25 pm

I actually rated Guzan 5-6 years ago. I thought he had pretty much everything except being a bit dodgy on corners. However, he's managed to get so much worse in such short period of time it's mind boggling. Obviously it doesn't help when he has zero confidence, but how a professional keeper can be so bad at basics like positioning and kicking is just outrageous.

Anyway, lets hope we get a decent result today. Please no Gestede and no Bacuna.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next