The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Christian Benteke

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christian Benteke Empty Christian Benteke

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 am

Encouraging words which suggest his future may be here -

mirror wrote:

Villa are in confident mood after defeating league leaders Chelsea last weekend.

Benteke added: “We have beaten a fantastic team in Chelsea and we deserved to win, but now we must build on this. We want to finish this season as strongly as we can and in as high a position as we can.”

Villa came 15th last season and Benteke insists they are making good progress with the club currently 10th.

Benteke is then expecting even better for the club and himself next season.

He said: “For the moment, we are good. We are better than last season and this is important, to show progress and improvement and to try to be better.

“We are growing as a team and we are doing well. With the win over Chelsea, this is a sign of the way we are progressing.

“It’s not bad and we know we can do better, too. This is our objective in the weeks and months ahead. Next season we can be better again."

Back to top Go down

Christian Benteke Empty Re: Christian Benteke

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Sure sounds encouraging Eastie. His post match interview after Norwich was also quite encouraging iirc.

He has struggled at times this year, but on his day is still one of the best strikers in the league.

For me, the two positives about this season have been the improvement in our defence, and the outwards signs that the team can do well even when Benteke is off his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:42 pm

If he has a good world cup for Belgium then those words may in part turn out to be quite hollow.

A big offer (as big as the £5.6M for David Platt post Italia 90 seemed back then) I am certain would see the board cashing in. The only thing I'm unsure of is what the actual figure would be. £30M? £40M.?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Interesting question Chris. I don't think he will have gone up much in value since last summer. He had a very patchy season and just isn't the hot property he was last year (wasn't he one of the most prolific strikers in Europe second half of the season?).

I'd say more like £25m-£30m

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:13 pm

£25m will be the fee that tempts us to part with him I think,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Love to think the Beast will still be a Villa player next term. Might require another hike in the lad's pay packet though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Selfish I know, but I'm hoping that he won't light up the world cup so we can keep him another season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:30 pm

I was thinking the same, John. That said, I still fancy Belgium to have a decent run in Brazil...hopefully Lukaku will shine and take the focus off Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Firestarter wrote:I was thinking the same, John. That said, I still fancy Belgium to have a decent run in Brazil...hopefully Lukaku will shine and take the focus off Chris.

Good shout that. I think that could actually happen too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:26 pm

A striker always has an offish second season. Last season, he was brand new and terrorised defences a lot more. This season, they've got to grips with him a bit more.

Next season if he stays, he'll be back to form I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Lizard Licker wrote:A striker always has an offish second season. Last season, he was brand new and terrorised defences a lot more. This season, they've got to grips with him a bit more.

Next season if he stays, he'll be back to form I reckon.
I hope so :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Next time I see him out here (read... stalk in the team hotel!), I'll say something to him like that.

That ought to get the FlyBE crewed banned from this hotel!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:51 pm

He is the sort of player the special one seems to like. Big strong and fucking good :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Belgium will have a surprisingly poor World Cup, Benteke will get injured and will move on next year for £18.5M to Classless FC I mean Chelsea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:43 pm

mirror wrote:
By James Nursey | 26/03/14  

Christian Benteke's agent has admitted he will decide the Aston Villa striker's future after the World Cup.

Benteke is tied to the Villans until 2017 after signing a £40,000-a-week contract extension last summer, but that came after agent Eric Kismet advised him to hand in a transfer request.

Now, as the 23-year-old gears up to play for Belgium in this summer's finals in Brazil, Kismet has said: “He wants to get ready for the World Cup. For the future, there is time. Currently it is too early to talk about it.”

Villa Park officials have privately conceded the club may struggle to keep Benteke if he has a storming World Cup in Brazil.

Arsenal, Tottenham and AC Milan have been previously linked with 6ft 3in Benteke, who has 11 goals this term after netting 23 in his debut English season to help Villa beat relegation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Whilst, I don't think anybody could be surprised or upset if he did leave in the summer, the media seem to be making a moutain out of a molehill with those comments. As much as Kismet is a stirrer he's not really saying anything there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:25 pm

I wish we weren't such easy targets. We always have to deal with these stories when we have a really good player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:49 pm

What annoys me is the agent will advise him, so you can bet the move will be for monetary reasons rather than football ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:53 pm

His agent in particular seems to be an awful d1ck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:05 pm

It would be nice if, just for once, we could tell the big(ger than us currently) clubs to get fucked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Chris Harte wrote:It would be nice if, just for once, we could tell the big(ger than us currently) clubs to get fucked.

Wouldn't it just. It's depressing though to see how many clubs have, in the past four years, joined the 'bigger than us' club Sad

Even in the worst of the 00s, we were still seen and respected as one of the big boys even if we had the odd bad year. Last season it was noticeable that the possibility of us being relegated wasn't being talked of in the same kind of 'seismic' terms that it had been the previous two seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 pm

Assuming he's sold, there'll be two possible scenarios:

1. The money will be used to rebuild the team.
2. Lerner will pocket the money.

Given that he's money hand over fist due to the utter incompetence of the last 7 years, it won't surprise me one bit if he pockets most of the money and tells Lambert (or whoever his next poor choice of a manager is) that he has to go unearth another gem.

I can't really blame Lerner. If I was stupid enough to plough thousands of dollars into a poker machine and not get a single win, I'd be overjoyed if it suddenly spat out 50 bucks.

And that's it in a nutshell. Lerner suffered from a gamblers curse where he just kept chasing his loses. He's realised now that it's fruitless and I think Villa will be just another mediocre team plodding about the premiership without making any real impact on it.

Of course, there are some that will tell you that it's the best we should hope for; that we can't expect anything better; that we don't have any god-given right to anything more substantial. Of course, those same people were all up in Doug's face for his lack of ambition yet for some reason, they're ok with Randy lacking ambition.

Maybe we become less passionate with age. Or maybe the club offers a distraction on the one hand so you don't notice the huge sign that the other is holding that says "FAILURE".
Trotters
Trotters

Christian Benteke 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:36 am

Trotters wrote:Assuming he's sold, there'll be two possible scenarios:

1. The money will be used to rebuild the team.
2. Lerner will pocket the money.

Given that he's money hand over fist due to the utter incompetence of the last 7 years, it won't surprise me one bit if he pockets most of the money and tells Lambert (or whoever his next poor choice of a manager is) that he has to go unearth another gem.

I can't really blame Lerner. If I was stupid enough to plough thousands of dollars into a poker machine and not get a single win, I'd be overjoyed if it suddenly spat out 50 bucks.

And that's it in a nutshell. Lerner suffered from a gamblers curse where he just kept chasing his loses. He's realised now that it's fruitless and I think Villa will be just another mediocre team plodding about the premiership without making any real impact on it.

Of course, there are some that will tell you that it's the best we should hope for; that we can't expect anything better; that we don't have any god-given right to anything more substantial. Of course, those same people were all up in Doug's face for his lack of ambition yet for some reason, they're ok with Randy lacking ambition.

Maybe we become less passionate with age. Or maybe the club offers a distraction on the one hand so you don't notice the huge sign that the other is holding that says "FAILURE".
You will also get some who will insist that Randy is a great owner, whilst he has not been catastrophic as other owners he does not have a fantastic record. To be fair Randy has revolutionised some things and has done a brilliant job, it's just the playing side of things that have not gone too well.
When Randy took over the wave of optimism swept over the club and MoN rode that wave till it ran out of steam.
There is no doubt that Randy has consistently pumped a hell of a lot of money into the club, sadly that money has been wasted. Vast sums of money spent on average players who offered very little to the club.
He paid £64 million ish for the club forcing some to sell him shares in the club that they love, these people didn't want to sell they wanted to own a little bit of Aston Villa FC.
AVfc are now values at £200 million ish and probably in debt to Randy for a similar amount.
Not good but he has apparently written off most of this debt he owes to himself. Well done him.
His selection of managers has been more than baffling to say the least, with the frankly bizarre appointment of McLeish stunning most of us.
I really want Randy to step up and start running the club in the way we all thought he could, sadly (that word again) I can't see it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:51 am

We all thought he could based on nothing more than him being (a) an American and (b) a billionaire.

There were questions at the time regarding his failed ownership of the Browns NFL team and, sadly, all of the things they complained about and predicted for us has come true.

He's done some great stuff but has he revolutionised anything (except for how to make money evaporate faster than a World Financial Crisis)? I don't think he has. He's made some nice gestures but that's about it. He's been largely behind the curve when it comes to marketing the club and we seem to copy what others do rather than be a pioneer - then again, maybe it's Faulkner driving all that whilst Randy sits at home crippled by depression and unable to do much of anything (I heard we missed out on a signing during a recent window because he was simply unavailable to confirm the money would be made available).
Trotters
Trotters

Christian Benteke 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:40 am

I think it was the PR that he revolutionised, we didn't know what hit us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next