The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Joe Cole signs for villa .

+14
Andyh
Neil Hawkes
TheTechniqueSMC
DomAVFC
Andy_Villa
prmort
Leafs1201
holtehero
Sceptical Villan
Villa_Dan
CoE82
Rotterdam82
Finn07
mickeywya
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 Empty Re: Joe Cole signs for villa .

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:08 am

Cole's been saying all the right things...

courtesy of ITV

Joe Cole wrote:I had options elsewhere and I could have gone and earned millions but it’s not about the money for me, it’s about playing and competing. That’s what I want to do, it's that passion for playing that’s driving me on and I want to help the team kick on.

I can’t really say how excited I am for this because Villa is a massive club.

When I was younger at Lilleshall, the national football school, I used to come and watch them. We used to go to either Villa Park, Coventry or Wolves to watch a game, whoever was at home that weekend, and we always preferred going to watch Villa because it’s such a massive club.

There were good players here at the time and it was a good time for the club, the mid-nineties. I know what it’s about and I’ll be committed. I live the life, I train hard and I’ll give everything I can for what we want to achieve here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:52 am

Andy_Villa wrote:We have sort of swapped Bowery for Cole, so its win/win even if Cole never plays...
If we get more than 13 games out of him it will be a brilliant move.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Fergal wrote:
Andy_Villa wrote:We have sort of swapped Bowery for Cole, so its win/win even if Cole never plays...
If we get more than 13 games out of him it will be a brilliant move.

When you put it like that...looks a good move. Also, I am sure players like Westwood, Delph and Gardner will learn something from playing with somebody like Cole. They have all been learning on the job without an experienced hand to guide them.

Back to top Go down

Post by My Old Man Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:29 pm

I was pretty neutral about this signing but I find that I am gradually warming to it. We may have pulled off a master stroke if he regains his hunger and keeps fit. Could be our new Paul Merson.

Thing is, will Lambert play to his strengths or stick him out wide or at left-back 🤦 
My Old Man
My Old Man

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:41 pm

My Old Man wrote:I was pretty neutral about this signing but I find that I am gradually warming to it. We may have pulled off a master stroke if he regains his hunger and keeps fit. Could be our new Paul Merson.

Thing is, will Lambert play to his strengths or stick him out wide or at left-back 🤦 

That's always the danger...I don't think Roy Keane would let him fuck this up though. It's clear Cole has to play in the hole as our pivot. Let everybody else do the running and moving about, let Cole put his foot on the ball and supply the killer passes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:51 pm

My Old Man wrote:I was pretty neutral about this signing but I find that I am gradually warming to it. We may have pulled off a master stroke if he regains his hunger and keeps fit. Could be our new Paul Merson.

I was unsure about this signing then asked myself the question, would I have been happy if he had signed in January. As with Senderos I would have took then without question back then, not much seems to have changed since.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Cole and senderos are a step up in quality from some of our regular starters last season .
My only worry with cole is his past injury record.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Eastie wrote:Cole and senderos are a step up in quality from some of our regular starters last season .
Going on what someone told me, he wasn't injured as much as you would think. Fat Sam just didn't see him fitting in his team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Fergal wrote:
Eastie wrote:Cole and senderos are a step up in quality from some of our regular starters last season .
Going on what someone told me, he wasn't injured as much as you would think. Fat Sam just didn't see him fitting in his team.

Which doesn't surprise me. He was never a Big Sam type player. Can see him really chomping at the bit to make an impression with us and he should have enough in the tank.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:08 pm

ANd again, sounds really positive and promising...courtesy of the Birmingham Mail

Birmingham Mail wrote:Joe Cole has reassured Aston Villa fans that there is life in his 32-year-old legs yet after becoming the club’s elder statesman.

Cole is now the oldest outfield player in Paul Lambert’s squad after signing a two-year contract on Tuesday following his release from West Ham.

He is Villa’s second free transfer of the summer, arriving hot on the heels of former Arsenal and Fulham central defender Philippe Senderos.

There have been concerns among the Villa Park faithful that the former Chelsea favourite’s best days in a glittering career are behind him.

But Cole, who has taken a hefty pay-cut to join Villa, is confident that he still has plenty to offer in the Premier League in body, mind and spirit.

He will be looking out for return trips to Upton Park and Stamford Bridge when the Premier League fixtures for 2014-15 are announced on Wednesday morning.

If he had his way the new campaign would kick off tomorrow, with the former England international excited about reviving his career at Villa Park.

“Physically I feel fresh,” said Cole, who finds 38-year-old goalkeeper – and interim coach – Shay Given as the only player older than him at Villa.

“It’s just the last two years have been difficult because I haven’t played as much as I would have liked. But I’ve actually been fit, I look after myself and I’ve got a massive passion to play football still.

“I’m used to wearing the colours so it wont throw me off that much! I’m looking forward now, I’m excited. I want pre season to start tomorrow so we can get going.

“It’s exciting. I’ll be committed. I live the life, I train hard and I’ll give everything I can to the club.”

Having started his career at West Ham and won a clean sweep of domestic honours at Chelsea, Cole escaped an ill-fated spell at Liverpool with a season-long loan at Lille in the French top flight two seasons before last, after Alex McLeish failed with a bid to sign him for Villa in August 2011.

Last term he returned to play for the Hammers – the club where he burst onto the scene as a young apprentice in the late 1990s – and after being let go by his boyhood club at the end of the season, rejected big money offers from abroad to stay in the Premier League as Villa finally got their man.

“We had offers from all over the world where I could have gone and earned millions and millions, but it’s not about the money for me,” said Cole.

“It’s about playing and competing and that’s what I want to do on a Saturday afternoon.

“I don’t want to do anything else apart from play football in the Premier League on a Saturday afternoon and that passion to play is what keeps driving me on. This is an exciting chance for me and I want to help the team kick on.

“I did love my time in France, but the Premier League has got a special thing about it. It’s marketed so well and it’s packaged so well that its like every game is an event.

“It’s massive, it is the pinnacle in terms of that. You speak to all the players I spoke to when I played in France and everyone wants to play in the Premier League. It is where it’s at.”

Cole, who made his senior debut at 17 at West Ham in January 1999, brings vast experience to Villa, having won three Premier League title, three FA Cup and two League Cups at Chelsea, as well as a career tally of 56 England caps.

Lambert hopes Cole will supply the vision Villa have lacked in and around the box – and the new playmaker revealed he has actually been wearing contact lenses to play for the past 12 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Joe Cole should retire, he is just embarrassing himself and his team, 8 bloody minutes on the pitch, the bloke is a major crock and shouldn't play any more, what a pointless signing, Lambert the genius strikes again.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 am

Hang on! You're being harsh. He was man of the match last game out and that alone is worth the few million a year he's being paid.

Jesus....he didn't even look hurt. He was just sat there looking like he was thinking "I can see what this game is gonna be like and, frankly, I can't be arsed so I'll plonk myself down right here."
Trotters
Trotters

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:25 am

I'm interested to hear the report on it as it seemed to me that he felt it twinge and knew better than to carry on, his limp was pronounced when he walked off so hopefully it could've been precautionary. He could work so well with Benteke
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Trotters wrote:Hang on! You're being harsh. He was man of the match last game out and that alone is worth the few million a year he's being paid.

Jesus....he didn't even look hurt. He was just sat there looking like he was thinking "I can see what this game is gonna be like and, frankly, I can't be arsed so I'll plonk myself down right here."

It wasn't even a full game was it, it was barley 60mins when he played good, please find me the last time he actually played a full 90mins because I sure as hell can't remember it.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 am

Green Villan wrote:
Trotters wrote:Hang on! You're being harsh. He was man of the match last game out and that alone is worth the few million a year he's being paid.

It wasn't even a full game was it, it was barley 60mins when he played good, please find me the last time he actually played a full 90mins because I sure as hell can't remember it.

Proberly the same as Vlaar every year he has his 1-2 months out, I wouldn't be against off loading Vlaar in January as I think Jores has looked better each game, and very surprised by Senderos.

If we could hoodwink uniterd into straight swap for cleverly and get Delph on a new contract I'd be happy.
CoE82
CoE82

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am

Vlaar for Cleverley? Who's hoodwinking who?

Agreed that Okore is looking the business but by all accounts he wants out too. Sooner or later Randy and Fox will realise there's a common denominator (as has been mentioned before) between results, declining crowds, staff issues, player issues and the lack of finalisation in the sale of the club.

I don't think we'll be lucky this time around to have another season in the top flight to fix it all up.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:31 pm

I'd rather swap Vlaar for Young even if it means giving United a few grand on top but Cleverly should not be signed, for £8million they can rip Everton off and not us for a change.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:28 pm

If Clev stayed I'd be happy enough, but only for about £4-5m. Any more and United can dump him for free in the summer. I'd rather we got the cash for Vlaar and picked up a creative option for midfield. Lambo would probably sign another left back though. Or a RB so he can drop player of the season Hutton

Okore only wants out because he wants to play. That's why he came to us and if it wasn't for injuries to others he'd still be on the sidelines. We need to keep Jores, he's a fucking tank and will only get better and better. Let him go in January and it'll be Cahill all over again.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Agree!

As for Cleverley, I just cannot believe he's valued at £8m with little time left on his contract. What would that value him at if he had 3 years? £30-40m? Hahahahaha! Fuck off.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Yeah, I think Okore playing solves a lot of Okore's problems. It won't change us being shit and doesn't stop people coming in for him if he plays regularly. But I think it makes for a happier Okore. Which is good, because the geezer has, like, the happiest smile!

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 Articl10
kimbo
kimbo

Joe Cole signs for villa . - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Bizzare isn't it Trotters mate, but those are the figures been quoted for Cleverly in papers but Lambert values him at £7million, that's Lamberks own words.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:47 pm

If Cleverley is worth that much then I expect* us to sell Delph for about £15m next fucking month

*I don't actually expect it, but you get my point
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:51 pm

I do Kimbo bud, it seems our valuation on players sold has been very disappointing, the price we've let some of our best players go pisses me right off but then we always seem to get ripped off with players we buy, N'Zog is an example.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Green Villan wrote:I do Kimbo bud, it seems our valuation on players sold has been very disappointing, the price we've let some of our best players go pisses me right off but then we always seem to get ripped off with players we buy, N'Zog is an example.
I think MON selling Gary Cahill whilst bringing in Curtis Davies and Zat Knight still rankles the most in that area. Complete fucking buffoonery that was obviously a fuck up as it happened, and has just been completely proven so ever since. I never really forgave MON for that. Bit like our embarrassingly pathetic tactics and performance in the FA Cup final, I never really forgave Gregory for that. Or Lambert, where I haven't forgiven him for... okay I'll stop right there, I'll be here all night!  Laughing
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:02 am

kimbo wrote:
Green Villan wrote:I do Kimbo bud, it seems our valuation on players sold has been very disappointing, the price we've let some of our best players go pisses me right off but then we always seem to get ripped off with players we buy, N'Zog is an example.
I think MON selling Gary Cahill whilst bringing in Curtis Davies and Zat Knight still rankles the most in that area. Complete fucking buffoonery that was obviously a fuck up as it happened, and has just been completely proven so ever since. I never really forgave MON for that. Bit like our embarrassingly pathetic tactics and performance in the FA Cup final, I never really forgave Gregory for that. Or Lambert, where I haven't forgiven him for... okay I'll stop right there, I'll be here all night!  Laughing

Tell me about it mate lol
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2