The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Joe Cole signs for villa .

+14
Andyh
Neil Hawkes
TheTechniqueSMC
DomAVFC
Andy_Villa
prmort
Leafs1201
holtehero
Sceptical Villan
Villa_Dan
CoE82
Rotterdam82
Finn07
mickeywya
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Joe Cole signs for villa . Empty Joe Cole signs for villa .

Post by mickeywya Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 pm

According to reports, Joe Cole is set to sign for Aston Villa, he's had a medical this afternoon and hopes to complete a deal in the morning.

Im quite happy with this, at the start of pre-season i said Villa should sign 4 players on a free and not need to spend any more money, Joe cole was one of them.
mickeywya

Joe Cole signs for villa . 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Joe Cole signs for villa . Empty Re: Joe Cole signs for villa .

Post by Finn07 Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:28 pm

2 year deal subject to medical.
Finn07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotterdam82 Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:34 am

Joe fucking Cole?

When did we go back to 2002?
Rotterdam82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 am

Not sure what to make of this signing, to be honest.

If he stays fit he'll be an asset, trouble is how big an "if" is that? Looks like he played in about a third of West Ham's games last season, if that's any guide.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:33 am

Chris Harte wrote:Not sure what to make of this signing, to be honest.

If he stays fit he'll be an asset, trouble is how big an "if" is that? Looks like he played in about a third of West Ham's games last season, if that's any guide.

Trouble is Joe Cole doesn't fit into the big Sam style of hoofball, I can understand people's worries, but Merson was meant to be past it with a lot of baggage, same as GOD, if it's a pay as you play it could be a good move, we have been crying out for someone to pay that killer ball, and that's one thing Joe Cole can still do.
CoE82
CoE82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:36 am

Is he better than what we have? If the answer is yes then it's a good signing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 am

People wanted experience - Senderos and Cole have it.
People wanted an attacking midfielder - we've got it in Cole.

Yes there's question marks over his fitness etc. but it's not a bad signing. If Lambo has been told that the club will be sold but it's going to drag on and we need to stay up, and that he'll be given a new contract by the new owners if he succeeds, then these type of players will help
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Joe Cole signs for villa . 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sceptical Villan Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:03 am

I supported the senderos decision but I cant support this one, my mind is definately made up takeover a very very very long way off!
Sceptical Villan
Sceptical Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by holtehero Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07 am

Oh dear god, definitely past it
holtehero

Back to top Go down

Post by Leafs1201 Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:18 am

Too me it smacks a bit of desperation and all a bit too late in his career to come and make a big impact but hopefully I'm wrong, he'll certainly add experience to the midfield but is injured far too often, let's go and get Matty Taylor from the Hammers as he's also been released and has a sweet left foot on him and could certainly do a job for us on the cheap, UTV SOTC LERNER OUT...
Leafs1201
Leafs1201

Back to top Go down

Post by prmort Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:58 am

holtehero wrote:Oh dear god, definitely past it

Yes, his medical that is.
prmort

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy_Villa Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:10 am

He has passed & is signing on a two year deal...
Andy_Villa
Andy_Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:15 am

We have been crying out for some experienced old heads. It isn't in an attempt to win the league but to stabilise our position before money becomes available.

Back to top Go down

Post by DomAVFC Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Here's the sky article confirming he's signed a 2-year deal:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9344189/premier-league-joe-cole-cannot-wait-to-get-started-after-agreeing-two-year-deal-with-aston-villa

i think he should be a decent signing in all fairness, it will be good to have some premiership experience in the midfield, which of course KEA didn't have any of before joining us!
DomAVFC
DomAVFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:33 pm

official site wrote:
Joe Cole insists "the fire is still burning" in him and that he feels "as excited now as I was as a 16-year-old lad going into my first season with West Ham" after agreeing a two-year deal to June 2016.

The 32-year-old attacking midfield player, capped 56 times for England in a career in which he has won three Premier League titles, three FA Cups and two League Cups in addition to reaching the final of the Champions League in 2008 with Chelsea, is Villa manager Paul Lambert's second summer signing following the arrival of defender Philippe Senderos last week.

That experience over a 16-year career in top-flight football is something Cole is determined to pass on to some of his younger team-mates and he admitted that he was sold on the move to Villa in an instant.

Cole said to AVTV: "I'm really excited. It all happened really quickly, I got a call maybe a week or 10 days ago and it just felt like it was a really exciting place to come at this moment.

"This is a massive club and there's a massive opportunity for the club to push on. That was the main factor. I spoke to the gaffer and we have similar views on football. He didn't need to sell the club but he explained what the view is for the future and, like I said, that was the main thing. When I spoke to the manager I knew I'd be signing.

"I'll be coming here and I'll be learning too. Obviously I'll bring my experience to the squad but you still learn every day and I want to learn. I know I'll learn from the manager, I'll learn from other players here and going forward together we want to get the best results for Aston Villa.

"So far I've been lucky enough to have a really good career but there's still a lot more I want to achieve. The fire is still burning in me. I want to do well. I want to play at the highest level and win things still and this club fits. With the young squad we've got here, we've had two seasons consolidating and now we're going to want to push on, which I'm very excited about. When I signed for Chelsea, that felt right, when I went to Lille, that felt 100% right and now this feeling is on a par to when I went to those clubs.

"Playing against Villa over the last two seasons and watching them, when you've got young players at that age, first of all to get them all playing at their best at the same time is very tricky. They're going to be inconsistent and the manager has got to take credit for what he's done there.

"I think quality players like Andi Weimann, Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph, amongst all of the others I could name, have come in and what will happen is when they've played 50 games they'll get better. Then when they've played 100 games they'll get better again. Then when they've played 150, and so on. That's just normal, every player in the world is like that because you improve as you play.

"There is just so much potential at the club to kick on and I think we're only going to get better. That's another thing, when I talked to the manager he said I would be playing in a more central position and, having those fast players in attack and around me, I feel like I can supply them with the bullets and get them the ball in the final third. They're good players to play with because speed is a must now in the game, particularly in the Premier League. I've watched the development of Fabian over the past two years and he's a terrific player. He finished the season just gone so strongly. There's pace and power all over the team and I really think we can kick on.

"Villa Park has actually been a very difficult place for me to come and play as an away player. I remember at Chelsea we had a particularly bad record there and I don't think West Ham's was much better either. I know how difficult it can be for opposition players and we need to get back to making it that fortress. If we get a good start we know the fans will get right behind us and it's a good place to play. I think I've only scored one goal at Villa Park, in the quarter final of the cup, so it's a tough place to play. I'm glad I'm on the home side now.

"The best bit of advice you get is that if you're a young man in any walk of life you try and look at the people who've done it before. All of the ex-players, all of the professionals that I've ever spoken to in my career say, 'Enjoy it while it lasts because it goes quick, take everything you can out of it.' That's one thing I have done and one thing I'm proud to say is that I've enjoyed every day of my career, every moment of it and I want to squeeze as much out of it as I can. I'm as excited now as I was as a 16-year-old lad going into my first season with West Ham."

Cole was born in Paddington before moving to Somers Town in central London. He came through the youth system at West Ham United, playing in the same team as future fellow England international Michael Carrick. He made his first team debut for the Hammers aged 17 in an FA Cup third round game against Swansea City.

Cole made 150 appearances in all competitions in his first stint at Upton Park, scoring 13 goals. He was made club captain in 2002-03 at the age of 21 and was awarded the Club's player of the season.

He joined Chelsea for £6.6m in 2003. Following the arrival of Jose Mourinho as manager in 2004, he became a key part of the squad that won the Barclays Premier League twice in a row. In his time at Chelsea, he won the Premier League three times, the FA Cup three times, the League Cup twice and the Community Shield twice, as well as being voted Chelsea's player of the season in 2008. He turned out 280 times for the Blues in all competitions, scoring 39 goals.

He moved to Liverpool as a free agent in 2010 and made 32 appearances in all competitions for the Reds. He moved to Lille on loan in 2011 and helped the defending champions finish third, qualifying for the Champions League. He made 43 appearances for the French team and scored nine goals.

Following his return to Liverpool, Cole played 10 games before leaving to re-join his first club, West Ham. He made 30 more appearances in two seasons at Upton Park before leaving for the second time.

Cole has won 56 England caps and has played at three World Cups. He has scored 10 times for England, including a memorable volley against Sweden in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTechniqueSMC Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Joe Cole & Senderos will turn out to be very shrewd signings both vastly experienced and will strengthen the team, The best thing Paul Lambert could do now would be to go out and sign Gareth Barry and then I would be quite happy with the squad going forward.
TheTechniqueSMC
TheTechniqueSMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:55 pm

TheTechniqueSMC wrote:Joe Cole & Senderos will turn out to be very shrewd signings both vastly experienced and will strengthen the team, The best thing Paul Lambert could do now would be to go out and sign Gareth Barry and then I would be quite happy with the squad going forward.

I agree, I have worries over Coles injury record but if fit he will be an asset.
From his comments on sky he will be used as the attacking midfielder so good luck to him .
Barry would be a superb signing.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTechniqueSMC Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Eastie wrote:
TheTechniqueSMC wrote:Joe Cole & Senderos will turn out to be very shrewd signings both vastly experienced and will strengthen the team, The best thing Paul Lambert could do now would be to go out and sign Gareth Barry and then I would be quite happy with the squad going forward.

I agree, I have worries over Coles injury record but if fit he will be an asset.
From his comments on sky he will be used as the attacking midfielder so good luck to him .
Barry would be a superb signing.

For me Cole has been injury free for the last 18 months but Sam Alladyce was never ready to pull the trigger on letting him play regular simply because he knew he would get a guaranteed 30mins a game BUT that said I reckon he will be solid and even if he only got 15-18 games in the EPL for new season I would be very happy as when he did play for West Ham he still looked a serious threat.

Gareth Barry is the missing piece of the Villa puzzle and IMO if he was brought back he would be the perfect fodder for Westwood to learn from you only have to look at his game for Everton last year so composed and brought the best out of Barkley/Osman & McCarthy.
TheTechniqueSMC
TheTechniqueSMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Joe Cole was asked on Talk Sport tonight if he had heard the Roy Keane rumours before he came to Villa. He said it had been mentioned. They asked if he expected to see Keane in the next couple of months. At that point, he laughed and suggested that they were trying to set him up.
Considering the oddness of Cole and Keane coming to Villa, have the TS pundits heard something or are they becoming suspicious as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:34 pm

I think he also said that he'd met up with Keane in the last week or so. Not sure, mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Hawkes Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:10 am

Joe Cole could be our next Paul Merson...........or our next Steven Ireland - please Joe show us some magic merson moments, heck even Beneto Carbone moments would do at this stage!
Neil Hawkes

Back to top Go down

Post by Andyh Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:20 am

Has it said how lovely it is to be at the biggest club in Birminum yet?
He better learn how to friggin' well pronounce it properly if he wants to fit in.
Andyh
Andyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Smart move in my opinion.

We lack both experience and a player who can put his foot on the ball and pick out a pass. Now we have got both with this signing. He'd never fit into Big Sam's style and hopefully this indicates we will start playing more football again as there's no point playing long ball with a player like Cole in your side.

I don't see him starting every game. I see him starting most home games as that's where we tend to struggle to break teams down. He can help unlock those sides that sit back against us whereas when the onus is on us to counter-attack Cole will probably start from the bench.

Good signing, gives us an option or three.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy_Villa Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:18 pm

We have sort of swapped Bowery for Cole, so its win/win even if Cole never plays...
Andy_Villa
Andy_Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:35 pm

official site wrote:

Paul Lambert believes Joe Cole will "thrive on the responsibility" after the 32-year-old attacking midfield player vowed to play a central, leading role for his new club on and off the pitch.

Cole, capped 56 times for England and a three-time Barclays Premier League, three-time FA Cup and twice a League Cup winner with Chelsea during his 16-year top-flight career, resisted lucrative offers to move to clubs overseas, opting instead to bring his vast experience to Villa to help the team "push on" and to encourage some of the younger players to realise their potential.

The Villa manager revealed that "money was never a factor" in his discussions with the player and he is excited by the prospect of Cole, still hungry and with a point to prove, supplying the forward line and providing some mature know-how in the upcoming campaign.

"Joe's not in it for the money, he simply wants to play and prove that he's still a top professional in the Barclays Premier League, which he's always been," Lambert said.

"He'll thrive on the responsibility here. He's someone who has always stepped up to the plate. That's inherent in his character and he's the type of character we need.

"I'm delighted we've been able to bring him in to join the group. He'll enhance the group and he'll bring out a lot from players around him because he'll demand that.

"He's a humble lad in spite of everything he's achieved in the game and he's hungry as well. Money was never a factor in him coming here. He simply wants to achieve and try to win things, that's what drives him.

"For us, he's got a lot to offer - he's an intelligent footballer and his attitude is first-class.

"When we sat down and talked I was very impressed by him. He's a guy who has played at the top for many years, been capped 56 times for England which is incredible but he still has an awful lot to offer and he wants to prove himself still.

"This is a really good signing for us. If the fire wasn't still burning in him, which is the phrase he's used himself, he would have gone overseas and been content with what he's achieved.

"But that's not him. Players will learn from Joe Cole, as they will from Philippe Senderos who joined us last week. I'm looking forward to both of them being part of the group and the other players will be excited by them joining, too."

Cole revealed to AVTV that, as a young player coming through the Academy at Lilleshall, he often came to Villa Park to watch games - and that youthful enthusiasm remains.

"I came here to play football and to compete and off the field I feel I can contribute something too" Cole said.

"I've been in the position all of the guys are in now. I've been fortunate to have enjoyed a great career, playing in the biggest games, competing at three World Cups, experiencing the whole shooting match of a football career. You get to an age when you've had all that experience and I'll be looking to use it to help the team.

"Physically, I feel fresh even though the last few years have been difficult because I haven't played as much. I've been fit and I look after myself. I've got a massive passion to play football still.

"I had options elsewhere and I could have gone and earned millions but it's not about the money for me, it's about playing and competing. That's what I want to do, it's that passion for playing that's driving me on and I want to help the team kick on.

"I can't really say how excited I am for this because Villa is a massive club.

"When I was younger at Lilleshall, the national football school, I used to come and watch them. We used to go to either Villa Park, Coventry or Wolves to watch a game, whoever was at home that weekend, and we always preferred going to watch Villa because it's such a massive club.

"There were good players here at the time and it was a good time for the club, the mid-nineties. I know what it's about and I'll be committed. I live the life, I train hard and I'll give everything I can for what we want to achieve here."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next