The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Summer transfer window 2017/18

+40
Jae1411
VTID85
Fpuppys
Wookster
Boldfinger
Saunders82
Dazzle
bruka
ant 2014
smetro
AstonThriller
DelboyVilla
BillytheKid
gaffer85
ember
FoxyAV
VillaBill
villajk
Villa Ranger
Villa_Dan
andrew24561
worcesterkev
The Utterer
Leafs1201
Wriggle
villawayne
Trotters
NARLA24
UnclePanda
Thinman
De Kuip
Barabass
danclare82
1Elliot
Gordonsleftboot
avfc forever
Morpheus
Dions_Bald_Head
big ming
WendyOz
44 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer transfer window 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:13 pm

As for Vibe..isn't he in his 30s already? Think we need to aim a little higher than that tbh. Assombalonga, Wells, Gallagher, Abrahams, Forrestieri etc. Or get someone from abroad.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer transfer window 2017/18

Post by WendyOz Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:27 am

I want Koj to stay of course and we could add Tammie Abraham and George Boyd - that would make me happy
WendyOz
WendyOz

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 am

Minor tinkering required for me, a permanent GK and a CD being the priority. The emphasis has to be on getting somewhere close to the best out of what we have, which we clearly aren't at this moment in time. We need to start getting players like RHM into the 1st team squad and being effective, there's been lots of talk about our youth players and now we have to start seeing some results. Ditto some of our bought players that have come with "best in the league" labels.
We'll likely see the back of players such as Veretout, Sanchez, Gil, Tshibola, Cissokho, Richards, and McCormack. If we're lucky then shedding that lot might bring in £20m+ and £200k+ PW in salary.
It'll be more about "outs" than "ins" this next window.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am

A CD? Why?

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 am

Joppe84 wrote:A CD? Why?

Because we only have Chester and Baker and Baker gets himself injured/suspended too often!
achilles
achilles

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:48 am

Elphick gone ?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:27 am

Hows Kevin Toner getting on these days?
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:33 am

Joppe84 wrote:Elphick gone ?

Elphick certainly not impressed enough, definitely space for another CB given we have only Chester and Baker.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 am

Hopefully! Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 1520050566
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 am

Dazzle wrote:

Elphick certainly not impressed enough, definitely space for another CB given we have only Chester and Baker.

Just can't see the need. We got an excellent pair in Chester and Baker. If Baker is injured we got Elphick. In backup we got plenty of talented youths. If we can't use our academy for this, then what's the point of having it.

In a window we gotta spend little and smart a CB definately shouldn't be a priority IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Think I'd rather see the Jedi in CB rather than Elphick.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Are we all forgetting Richards Flogging a dead hors
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by gaffer85 Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Fpuppys wrote:Are we all forgetting Richards Flogging a dead hors
Trying too lol!
gaffer85
gaffer85

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:38 am

Fpuppys wrote:Are we all forgetting Richards Flogging a dead hors

Nope. My post above has him firmly in the "outs". Unfortunately I fear we will be stuck with him due to wage and the fact he's been shit.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 am

Elphick isn't a brilliant defender even at this level. 4th choice at best. We do need a back up to Chester/Baker.
Trotters
Trotters

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 am

Might as well close down our academy then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am

Secondly it's utterly obvious and empirically factual that Elphick is more than good enough for a third option in our CB backline.

He had a rocky start it must be said, be the team wasn't settled at all. If he were to have a sustained run now I'm certain he'd show his ability more than sufficient.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 am

Joppe84 wrote:

Just can't see the need. We got an excellent pair in Chester and Baker. If Baker is injured we got Elphick. In backup we got plenty of talented youths. If we can't use our academy for this, then what's the point of having it.

In a window we gotta spend little and smart a CB definately shouldn't be a priority IMO.

I don't see the logic in your thinking at all. The record shows that when Elphick has started our defence is much more likely to concede poor goals. The man simply isn't good enough for this club and IF we are to be serious title contenders next season we need to have strength all across the back and good back-ups too. Chester/Baker might be good right now but there was a time when they just couldn't keep a clean sheet. Imo we need a good centre-back to come in and challenge them. Seeing Jedinak back there doesn't fill me with confidence at all.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 am

Dazzle wrote:Minor tinkering required for me, a permanent GK and a CD being the priority. The emphasis has to be on getting somewhere close to the best out of what we have, which we clearly aren't at this moment in time. We need to start getting players like RHM into the 1st team squad and being effective, there's been lots of talk about our youth players and now we have to start seeing some results. Ditto some of our bought players that have come with "best in the league" labels.
We'll likely see the back of players such as Veretout, Sanchez, Gil, Tshibola, Cissokho, Richards, and McCormack. If we're lucky then shedding that lot might bring in £20m+ and £200k+ PW in salary.

Don't agree about minor tinkering. We still don't score goals from midfield, our wingers have scored a grand total of three goals this season (All from Adomah), and our full-backs barely have two assists between them. The current run has been great but we need at least three or four players who can go straight into the team imo if we're serious about promotion.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:21 am

That is unbelievably bad!!
Trotters
Trotters

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:17 am

AstonThriller wrote:
Dazzle wrote:Minor tinkering required for me, a permanent GK and a CD being the priority. The emphasis has to be on getting somewhere close to the best out of what we have, which we clearly aren't at this moment in time. We need to start getting players like RHM into the 1st team squad and being effective, there's been lots of talk about our youth players and now we have to start seeing some results. Ditto some of our bought players that have come with "best in the league" labels.

Don't agree about minor tinkering. We still don't score goals from midfield, our wingers have scored a grand total of three goals this season (All from Adomah), and our full-backs barely have two assists between them. The current run has been great but we need at least three or four players who can go straight into the team imo if we're serious about promotion.

The thing is w have tried the method of buying "proven" talent/goals and it hasn't proven very effective as yet. Let's not forget we were all pretty much delighted at securing Hourihane and Lansbury as proven midfield goal scorers and assist machines in this league. Thus far it isn't working out quite how we envisaged, ditto with McCormack. We have to give the management a chance to make the likes of Lansbury, Hourihane, Kodjia, Bree, Bananason, Adomah etc make an effective unit. Buying what you perceive you lack isn't a black and white process in football. A good coach and management need to knit what we have together, better.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Dazzle wrote:

The thing is w have tried the method of buying "proven" talent/goals and it hasn't proven very effective as yet. Let's not forget we were all pretty much delighted at securing Hourihane and Lansbury as proven midfield goal scorers and assist machines in this league. Thus far it isn't working out quite how we envisaged, ditto with McCormack. We have to give the management a chance to make the likes of Lansbury, Hourihane, Kodjia, Bree, Bananason, Adomah etc make an effective unit. Buying what you perceive you lack isn't a black and white process in football. A good coach and management need to knit what we have together, better.

We can't afford to take chances imo. If there's quality out there why not go and get it? We're gonna have 40m coming in from the parachute payments and then we're likely to have up to 30m from sales if we get rid of Richards, Veretout, Gill, Gollini, Mccormack, Elphick, Sanchez etc. So why not look at boosting the squad with better talent? No-one is saying they have to be "championship players" either. We've got a scouting system, so let's see what's out there.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 pm

AstonThriller wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:

I don't see the logic in your thinking at all. The record shows that when Elphick has started our defence is much more likely to concede poor goals. The man simply isn't good enough for this club and IF we are to be serious title contenders next season we need to have strength all across the back and good back-ups too. Chester/Baker might be good right now but there was a time when they just couldn't keep a clean sheet. Imo we need a good centre-back to come in and challenge them. Seeing Jedinak back there doesn't fill me with confidence at all.

I suspect you don't. You also indicated Bruce should have been sacked after Christmas and questioned how anyone could defend him. Yet we have 22 points of 27 possible from the last 9 matches?

Elphick didn't impress a whole lot after he came in, but he had to settle down at a brand new club with a lot of new players and management. Like I pointed out with Bruce, continuity and stability breeds better performances. Now you might not like it, but that's how it is. If you gave Elphick a sustained run in the side he'll most likely do just fine, and a lot better now since he's been here a while and gotten settled.
And the idea that a defender that captained a promotion side from this league doesn't have the quality to be third option for the Villa side in the worst era of midlands football I can remember, that's just absurd. He's more than capable. If the question was first team material I'd be inclined to accept Trotts notion, but not being third option? Just nonsense.
Thirdly, we already have to tighten in on the spending since we have spend stupid amounts in 2 years now while being relegated. We got record losses ++. Thus any signings we make have to be smart and above all else needed. Signing another CB is just moronic. Might be 2-3 suspensions and injuries a year where we need a decent fourth option CB, and if we can't use Toner, Suliman or anyone else for those matches, why the hell do we operate a ridiculously expensive academy?

There so many reasons to avoid signing another first team CB I'm amazed that anyone actually suggests it, never mind the idea that it should be a priority.

It seriously annoys me how people think a problem in a football club is solved by throwing money at it. You are wrong and I can't fucking underline it enough.

Anyway, happy Easter Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 1815562058

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Joppe84 wrote:

I suspect you don't. You also indicated Bruce should have been sacked after Christmas and questioned how anyone could defend him. Yet we have 22 points of 27 possible from the last 9 matches?
Erm actually I said IF HE CONTINUES TO LOSE then he should be sacked. And I still maintain that notion considering he'd just spent over 20m and we'd not won in nine games, losing five in a row before the Derby win. Let's not act like the man has become Alex Ferguson overnight. He's recovered very well but we're still 12th in the league and the pressure will be back on at the start of next season if he doesn't start well, it's that simple.

Elphick didn't impress a whole lot after he came in, but he had to settle down at a brand new club with a lot of new players and management. Like I pointed out with Bruce, continuity and stability breeds better performances. Now you might not like it, but that's how it is. If you gave Elphick a sustained run in the side he'll most likely do just fine, and a lot better now since he's been here a while and gotten settled.
So did Chester have to settle at a new club, how come he hasn't be utter gash like Elphick? The man is a liability..and the stats don't lie. He's started NINE of the thirteen defeats we've had this season...you can make excuses for him all you like, but the facts are the facts.

And the idea that a defender that captained a promotion side from this league doesn't have the quality to be third option for the Villa side in the worst era of midlands football I can remember, that's just absurd. He's more than capable. If the question was first team material I'd be inclined to accept Trotts notion, but not being third option? Just nonsense.
Ashley Westwood played several years in the premiership and is back there now...so i guess by your logic he was "good enough" for us too right? Laughing

Thirdly, we already have to tighten in on the spending since we have spend stupid amounts in 2 years now while being relegated. We got record losses ++. Thus any signings we make have to be smart and above all else needed. Signing another CB is just moronic. Might be 2-3 suspensions and injuries a year where we need a decent fourth option CB, and if we can't use Toner, Suliman or anyone else for those matches, why the hell do we operate a ridiculously expensive academy?

There so many reasons to avoid signing another first team CB I'm amazed that anyone actually suggests it, never mind the idea that it should be a priority.
SMH..you really have no clue about the game do you? Baker is injury pron and Elphick is a liability. Therefore the only defender we can totally depend on right now is James Chester and he could easily pick up an injury or get banned...then what? Rely on untested youngsters? That's absolute bollox..Toner didn't even impress at Walsall and Suliman is only 19 and had a tough time when loaned to Cheltenham in league two...and you're calling for them to potentially play several games for a side who want's to go up next season? Don't make me laugh!!!..

It seriously annoys me how people think a problem in a football club is solved by throwing money at it. You are wrong and I can't fucking underline it enough.
Yeah I'm sure City, Chelsea, Madrid etc all regret spending the money they have!!!...and Newcastle didn't spend 50m in the summer either I guess Very Happy
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:09 pm

I haven't seen it myself but apparently Bruce has said that it's going to be a busy summer with a big player turnaround.
deadbuzzardalive

Summer transfer window 2017/18 - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next