The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup

+22
DVilla
De Kuip
Cha Ching
Fpuppys
thegaffer6
danclare82
Con
The Utterer
NARLA24
jeffvilla
achilles
Jae1411
VillaBill
avfc forever
ViewFromT2
Thinman
Dgrizzle7
bruka
Villa_Dan
Trotters
DelboyVilla
FoxyAV
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup Empty Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup

Post by FoxyAV Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:09 am

Since it's in my neck of the woods I thought I'd start a thread on the match tomorrow. I have a ticket but also might have a baby by then so can't risk it!

Saints thrashed us 6-1 at the end of last season, we did a conga and didn't care, we were going to Wemberley. Not easy to forget that result though, and Mané scoring the fastest hat-trick in Premier League history (two minutes and 56 seconds). One record even Lambert didn't manage.

In the League Southampton have lost twice this season to Everton and ManU, with their last three matches being draws against Liverpool and Leicester, and a 1-3 win at Chelsea.

Since the 6-1 defeat to Southampton on May 16th, we've won three matches, two in the Cup. That's as good as it gets, folks.

I hate to say it but we need to nail down our preferred starting 11 ASAP at the possible expense of advancing in the Cup (I know it's the only joy we're likely to get this season but we're really too far in the merde to take on extra matches) and need to see what we can make out of Veretout and Ayew so I'm going with:

Guzan
Hutton - Richards - Clark - Amavi
Veretout - Gueye
Traore - Gil - Grealish
Ayew

I think Veretout and Ayew are key for us. One striker needs to step up and with a run of two or three matches Veretout (like Clark alongside Richards) ccould show enough promise to take Westwood's place.

I think we have a good enough squad to survive, especially if we reinforce in January, and let's hope the players are up for fighting for their places. I'm going for a 3-2 win for us.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup Empty Re: Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 am

Let's save the environment and just concede to Southampton and not bother travelling all that way for another soul destroying battering. We need to build confidence not destroy it!
DelboyVilla

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup Empty Re: Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup

Post by Trotters Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:42 am

I'd like to see some "peripheral" players given a run but, given the new manager (assuming whoever we've approached) will be watching at least on need to give him a good viewing of what he's working with.

Not too sure about Traore but aside from that I like Foxy's side.

Mate....good luck with the baby. Put a photo up asap!
Trotters
Trotters

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:47 am

I've stuck a quid on us to win
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:53 am

Trotters wrote:I'd like to see some "peripheral" players given a run but, given the new manager (assuming whoever we've approached) will be watching at least on need to give him a good viewing of what he's working with.

Not too sure about Traore but aside from that I like Foxy's side.

Mate....good luck with the baby. Put a photo up asap!

Thanks, I will do. I tried to buy a baby grow thing from the Villa website but it wouldn't process the payment!

I read somewhere that Traore is on a performance related contract. Bearing in mind he's scored a couple of goals for us and we don't really have anyone else to play there, he's the one I've gone for. We could stick Ayew on the right providing Kozak leads the line but I don't want to see the Weimann situation again where you take a promising striker, make him play out of position, tell him to run round the pitch defending half the time and watch him get slated for not scoring goals.

If Gabby is the root of the manager revolts at the club he might be doing us a favour since we didn't want Lambert and Sherwood either but the next manager would do well to remove him from the first team completely, club captain or not. He's not scored this season, he's up there with Lescott and Richardson to be benched immediately. We have a few players with points to prove, I think Traore on the wing and Ayew up front are two of them.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:04 am

I would like to see more of Veretout, i reckon there's a quality player there but he needs to get some game time and work on his fitness levels. Also Amavi needs to play as he seems like the only player we have capable of creating goal scoring opportunities at the moment. I know he's a bit of a liability at the back but, lets be honest, our whole back four and Guzan should be known as "The Liabilities".
bruka

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:07 am

Traore frustrates the fuck out of me. He's like a really fast, really hench version of Nzog....head down, run flat out until you lose the ball. Maybe he just needs an extended run but he wouldn't be in my starting XI. I'd get him on against a tiring defence and let him learn slowly.

Who would I have in his place? I got nothing!
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:21 am

Me too Trotters, except I don't really rate him. He seems like a steroid built track runner. Injury prone and unable to pass the ball. He takes on too many players at once and keeps losing possession.

He has to step up and impress if I'm gonna change my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:26 am

Trotters wrote:Traore frustrates the fuck out of me. He's like a really fast, really hench version of Nzog....head down, run flat out until you lose the ball. Maybe he just needs an extended run but he wouldn't be in my starting XI. I'd get him on against a tiring defence and let him learn slowly.

He terrifies defences with his pace, and draws players to him. Like Gabby used to. His effect is hit and miss in equal doses but his presence creates space for other players to exploit.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:27 am

bruka wrote:I would like to see more of Veretout, i reckon there's a quality player
 He will be our best midfielder given time and chances
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:48 am

Villa_Dan wrote:
Trotters wrote:Traore frustrates the fuck out of me. He's like a really fast, really hench version of Nzog....head down, run flat out until you lose the ball. Maybe he just needs an extended run but he wouldn't be in my starting XI. I'd get him on against a tiring defence and let him learn slowly.

He terrifies defences with his pace, and draws players to him. Like Gabby used to. His effect is hit and miss in equal doses but his presence creates space for other players to exploit.

I Agree I don't see any defender who would be happy with him running at them if his on/off form, the will duble up too a degree like we seen at palace which as villa dan said creates alot of space for others.

I Agree his verry hit an miss be he needs game tme to improve just just like Ayew,. he loves taking people on but that can be a problem with no end product, having 10-15 min shift isn't enough for a player like him.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:15 pm

That's just it....once he's drawn two (or sometimes three) players to him, he needs to shift the ball. But it's like he sees at a personal affront and has to win. Amusing but not really productive.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:26 pm

So he needs coaching and if he doesn't listen we don't play him until he does. He needs to fight for his place and if he doesn't we don't need him. He needs to impress our manager, Barcelona and failing that anyone else out there likely to employ him when his contract runs out.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Frankly we don't need the diversion of a lengthy cup run so whilst I, as always, hope for a win - a respectable defeat won't be the end of the world. Likewise the FAC when it starts.
Thinman
Thinman

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:22 pm

FoxyAV wrote:

Guzan
Hutton - Richards - Clark - Amavi
         Veretout - Gueye
       Traore - Gil - Grealish
                   Ayew

Would seriously love us to field this starting XI....also have the option of Sinclair instead of Grealish (justified by Sinclair contributing more in the goals chart).

Ayew will probably get goals when played through the middle...ie. his favoured position! He will get more than Galloping Gestede anyway!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:29 pm

Thinman wrote:Frankly we don't need the diversion of a lengthy cup run so whilst I, as always, hope for a win - a respectable defeat won't be the end of the world. Likewise the FAC when it starts.

Could never....ever, go along with that.

If we were to win tomorrow night it gives everyone a lift for starters...but then there are only two more round before the final, that's hardly a 'lengthy' cup run.
As for the FA Cup, last season proved that you can enjoy a run in it whilst fighting the drop....I wanna go back to Wembley desperately!
Besides which. if we go out of the FA Cup, we end up going a fortnight between games when cup weekend comes around....a 2 week break can be as detrimental as too many games sometimes...especially if you hit a purple patch in the league, and are then forced to twiddle your thumbs for a fortnight.....
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Winning breeds winning. We saw what throwing competitions away did under MoN

Personally I'd play a diamond

---------------------Bunn-------------------

Hutton-----Richards----Clark-----Amavi

--------------------Sanchez----------------

-----------Veretout--------Gueye---------

-----------------------Gil--------------------

---------------Ayew--------Sinclair--------

If it isn't working then Sinclair off for Traore, switch to a 4-3-3. Or even take Sanchez/Veretout/Gueye plus Sinclair or Ayew off, Gestede on with Grealish or Traore for 4-4-2
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc forever Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:01 pm

I can see us getting a 2-1 win.
avfc forever
avfc forever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Guzan

Hutton Richards Clark Amavi

Gardner Gueye Veretout

Ayew Kozak Grealish

Get Gil on for Grealish at 60 min.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:00 pm

I don't think Ayew is classed as a CF is he?
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae1411 Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:52 am

Ayew classes himself as a number 9 centre forward. That's his preferred position.

And on traore, he might be a bit frustrating now but there is one he'll of a player in there waiting to explode. Remember cristiano ronaldo at his age, I see a lot alike in them. Hopefully adama gets his head down and follows his path
Jae1411

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:33 am

VillaBill wrote:I don't think Ayew is classed as a CF is he?

Yeah. He played there last season in France as a loan striker I believe
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:44 am

Like to win, winning breeds confidence, but can't see it happening!

At least Remi will see how crap we are live.
achilles
achilles

Southampton - Aston Villa, Wednesday 28th October, League Cup 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:15 am

Anyone need a spare ticket for tonight? My mother's going and can meet someone at the ground (gate L, I think). She'll probably have sweets but might make you buy her a hot chocolate at half time.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:24 pm

lol!
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next